Seeing shows by yourself

Fiyero13
#1Seeing shows by yourself
Posted: 9/14/18 at 9:07am

Back when I was in high school and college and a bit after I would feel weird seeing shows by myself, I'd feel kind of creepy even.

But now in this day and age I feel that is completely acceptable.

Does anybody else feel contrary to this

Danielle49
#2Seeing shows by yourself
Posted: 9/14/18 at 9:15am

I don’t understand why there are folks who think it’s weird to do anything by yourself: seeing shows, going to movies, eating at a restaurant. I see most every Broadway show by myself because I feel bad about asking someone to spend $50-100 to see something that I’m interested in.

Fiyero13
#3Seeing shows by yourself
Posted: 9/14/18 at 9:18am

Danielle49 said: "I don’t understand why there are folks who think it’s weird to do anything by yourself: seeing shows, going to movies, eating at a restaurant. I see most every Broadway show by myself because I feel bad about asking someone to spend $50-100 to see something that I’m interested in."

Ha yeah and i'm the one usually buying their ticket because I don't want them to spend the money on something i'm interested in

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#4Seeing shows by yourself
Posted: 9/14/18 at 9:25am

I prefer to go alone vs. with people for multiple reasons. 
1) It's expensive. Sometimes I want to splurge to get the good seats, and it  can be hard to get people to commit to dropping $100+ on something.
2) It's annoying trying to plan with people. "You're free sunday?" "No, I'm off monday." "Okay, what about Wednesday?' "No, i'm busy that night too". I don't have time for that ****. 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?
Updated On: 9/14/18 at 09:25 AM

ArtMan
#5Seeing shows by yourself
Posted: 9/14/18 at 9:25am

I see shows by myself all the time.  I even prefer it.  I prefer doing most things, (except eating in a restaurant) by myself.  Whenever I go to a concert with someone, they always want to leave before it is over.  And I'm the one who drove.  I used to lie to people and say I was going to something with someone else, to avoid "that look", they may give you.  Now I just proudly say, I went by myself.   In November, I am actually going on a cruise, by myself, for the first time.  (Even though I have traveled elsewhere by myself).  I'm not sure how comfortable I will be with the eating arrangements.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#6Seeing shows by yourself
Posted: 9/14/18 at 9:26am

I absolutely love seeing shows by myself. I've been doing so for years so I'm used to it, but I definitely remember feeling weird the first few times - but that's normal! Like Danielle49 said, I don't want to schedule my time around people who happen to be available and willing to see and spend what I'd like to. I personally find a lot of peace and comfort in seeing things alone, and it's something I love. I love going to shows with friends, too. The only thing I haven't done solo yet are cabarets, as that feels like more of an outwardly social activity.

At the end of the day, do what makes you the happiest because life is too short to wait on others to do that for you. I've also met some very close friends who were also seeing shows alone, and now we go together!

Don't let the pressure of society stop you from having a great night at the theater. 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#7Seeing shows by yourself
Posted: 9/14/18 at 9:54am

If it's something that promises to be a trainwreck, I prefer to go with someone else so we can laugh and decompress about it afterward, but going by myself is otherwise perfectly fine.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

robskynyc
#8Seeing shows by yourself
Posted: 9/14/18 at 10:08am

YvanEhtNioj said: "Sometimes I want to splurge to get the good seats, and it can be hard to get people to commit to dropping $100+ on something.

Exactly why I go alone 75% of the time

Fosse76
#9Seeing shows by yourself
Posted: 9/14/18 at 10:14am

I always went to the movies alone, even as a kid, so that never bothered me. As I look back, I'm surprised at how much I did alone (theater, movies, travel). The ironic thing is that going to a theme park or eating at a restaurant were really the only things I never did alone and felt weird about. It wasn't until I moved to New York when I ate at "real" restaurants (i.e., not fast food) alone or would go to a theme park by myself. Now I get frustrated if I travel with other people, since I am so use to the independence.

LarryD2
#10Seeing shows by yourself
Posted: 9/14/18 at 10:16am

I have been seeing professional theater by myself since I was 12 years old. Currently, I see around 250 shows a year, and I'd say I go to about half or more alone. I'm married and have many wonderful friends, but not everyone wants to see the volume of theater that I do, and I understand that. I have no qualms going alone anymore -- since I'm not going to be chatting with someone during the show, it's a perfectly fine solitary activity!

I'm a voting member of an award-granting organization, which is another reason why I have to see a high volume of shows. I average 6-7 a week -- sometimes more, sometimes less. I doubt I could find someone who would agree to come with me to every single show even if I tried. My spouse will usually come to 1-2 shows a week, but he's more selective in what he chooses.

Updated On: 9/14/18 at 10:16 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#11Seeing shows by yourself
Posted: 9/14/18 at 10:18am

I have zero qualms going by myself, the freedom it presents is lovely.  And traveling and dining alone is not a bother to me either.   I bring a book, people watch, THINK.  Very peaceful.

That being said, having someone along is nice, too.  As my son has grown up (he's nearly 18) the last few years have really been delightful sharing the experience with him.  He's been going to the theater since he was 5 - and I'm a director, so he has ALWAYS seen lots of live shows.  But now, I don't have to pick "kid friendly" shows.   He and I have great conversations about what we see, and often have the same taste.  He laughed at me when I broke down and got Spongebob tix (he still refused to go) and hated it.  He usually willing to try things he is unfamiliar with, and I daresay,the music he most listens to is showtunes.

I use to go with my sister quite a bit, but it was always up to me - and I felt responsible for her enjoyment.  When I go with other theater friends, that doesn't happen.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#12Seeing shows by yourself
Posted: 9/14/18 at 10:18am

Fosse76 said: "I always went to the movies alone, even as a kid, so that never bothered me.  Now I get frustrated if I travel with other people, since I am so use to the independence."

This is me exactly! Now that I have a spouse, she comes with me to everything because she enjoys it too. I will forewarn here about something she may not enjoy, and if she does some research I will go alone if she doesn't want to come with.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#13Seeing shows by yourself
Posted: 9/14/18 at 10:38am

I think seeing a show alone is totally ok. When I see a show for the first time, I tend to do rush and at those prices it is easier to find a friend to go with. 

If I absolutely love love loved a show after seeing it via rush, I will pay full price (or discounted tickets) to sit in the seat I want to see it in and prefer to watch the show with another friend who loves the show or simply go alone. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#14Seeing shows by yourself
Posted: 9/14/18 at 10:56am

For those of us who go a lot, it is hard  to imagine not going alone at least sometimes unless you have a partner who is willing to maintain the same pace. I don't like going to a restaurant alone (not counting diners, coffee places, counter places, etc.) because to me eating is a social occasion, where we can entertain each other. Theatre, by contrast, is a place where one sits in silence and not interacting with those we arrived with for a period of time. Oh, and if you are the sort of person who needs to whisper things to me during the show, here is the knife I'll use to stab you. Seeing shows by yourself

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#15Seeing shows by yourself
Posted: 9/14/18 at 10:58am

I enjoy seeing big musicals with someone. I usually prefer to see plays alone but go with friends on invites at times.

A lot of times it depends on my schedule so I do see musicals alone at times. Some I plan to see alone.

Just give the world Love.

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#16Seeing shows by yourself
Posted: 9/14/18 at 11:05am

I strongly prefer seeing shows by myself. The main reason being, exactly as others have said, that lot of my friends prefer to sit far away to save money, while I'd rather spend what I want to spend on a ticket to get the best experience. Not to mention that you can often score a great seat if it's a single. 

I never feel uncomfortable, but I laugh sometimes at the different vibes depending on the show. At the more touristy family shows you sometimes get funny looks... I don't think it ever occurred to them that this is a regular thing for those of us who see a lot of shows. I'm pretty sure the family next to me at School of Rock was giving me deep looks of pity, haha. 

I do feel weird about going to the movies alone, though. Don't know why, and I shouldn't. There are movies I want to see that I don't because I never get around to making plans, which is ridiculous! Need to get over myself and just go. 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#17Seeing shows by yourself
Posted: 9/14/18 at 11:08am

I love going alone.

atuomala Profile Photo
atuomala
#18Seeing shows by yourself
Posted: 9/14/18 at 11:12am

Seeing a Broadway show by myself is my preference. I only go with someone else if I have to. If I have someone with me, I’m too concerned with worrying about whether they’re enjoying the show or having a good time and it takes away from my enjoyment. I especially hated going to Broadway shows with my college classmates.

"Mostly, I loved the size of these people's emotions. Nobody has emotions this size anymore. Outsized emotions. Operatic emotions. Kushemski and Vanda are like Tristan and Isolde, they're Paolo and Francesca. Nobody's in total thrall like this anymore. Nobody's overcome by passion like this, or goes through this kind of rage." Thomas, Venus in Fur

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#19Seeing shows by yourself
Posted: 9/14/18 at 11:40am

When ever im in New york, I see about 75% of the shows by myself. I love going alone. When I go with people I tend to worry if they are enjoying the show instead of if im enjoying it.

Plus, I like that when a show ends I can just leave super fast. I dont have to wait for them to buy something or to look at the building, take a picture af the marquee, etc.

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#20Seeing shows by yourself
Posted: 9/14/18 at 11:50am

I personally prefer seeing shows by myself for many reasons.  Mostly because A) I can get a great single seat in all areas of the orchestra section and B) I don't have to explain things pre/post performance to whoever I'm with.  

I first started seeing shows on Broadway as a kid when I wanted to see a show again which my folks didn't want to.  They bought me a matinee ticket, dropped me off at the theatre and were waiting for me after the performance.  This continued into films as well.  I learned to not depend on anyone if I wanted to do something.  I knew how to keep myself company and not rely on others.  

Even today my friends sometimes get upset when I tell them I saw a show as they would have loved to see it as well.  Sorry, guys.  My Broadway nights are best enjoyed by myself.  I'll meet you after the performance for dinner.  

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#21Seeing shows by yourself
Posted: 9/14/18 at 11:56am

JudyDenmark said: "I do feel weird about going to the movies alone, though. Don't know why, and I shouldn't. There are movies I want to see that I don't because I never get around to making plans, which is ridiculous! Need to get over myself and just go."

I'm the same! Normally if I can't find anyone to go with to the movies, I'll just wait it out and watch the movie during a long flight. That's how I watched the movie FROZEN. lol.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#22Seeing shows by yourself
Posted: 9/14/18 at 12:02pm

I get to NYC 3-4 times a year, and always see shows by myself.  

Dollypop
#23Seeing shows by yourself
Posted: 9/14/18 at 12:13pm

I love solo days in the city when I see shows.

My least favorite ways to see shows are with the group from my church. None of them are real theater-goers and are completely lost without me. I really can't enjoy a show when I'm babysitting for a group of adults.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

theaterdarling
#24Seeing shows by yourself
Posted: 9/14/18 at 12:14pm

JudyDenmark said: "I strongly prefer seeing shows by myself.The main reason being, exactly as others have said, thatlot of my friends prefer to sit far away to save money, while I'd rather spend what I want to spend on a ticket to get the best experience.Not to mention that you can often score a great seat if it's a single.

I never feel uncomfortable, but I laugh sometimes at the different vibes depending on the show. At the more touristy family shows you sometimes get funny looks... I don't think it ever occurred to them that this is a regular thing for those of us who see a lot of shows. I'm pretty sure the family next to me at School of Rock was giving me deep looks of pity, haha.

I do feel weird about going to the movies alone, though. Don't know why, and I shouldn't. There are movies I want to see that I don't because I never get around to making plans, which is ridiculous! Need to get over myself and just go.
"

couldn't help but comment and try to encourage you JudyDenmark to enjoy going to a movie alone. I go to the theater alone a lot for all of the reasons everyone has already stated. Movies for a different reason - to see what I want to see in peace and quiet-not with a Saturday night crowd when fam and friends usually want to go. (Seeing a movie with a crowd, for me, has the opposite effect of seeing a show with a crowd in a theater--love it in a theater, hate it in a movie theater). 

My tip and the best for solo ventures: in the Boston area (and I'm sure in NYC area if that is where you live) you can catch a show at 10:00AM or 10:30AM  on a Sunday for many though not all movies. Few adults want to go at that hour-including my friends and family and I say yay!. I grab a Starbucks, have a seat in those big recliners in what is usually a mostly empty theater and you feel like you are in your own private screening room. It's heaven. No loudmouths. No one chomping on food. No one talking to the screen or asking what the person on the screen just said. No armchair critics. No one texting or checking their email. Results probably not the same if you want to see a kid oriented movie or if animated (especially in the summer) but I usually don't see that stuff in a movie theater-- I will watch it at home. That being said, I took a chance and saw "The Greatest Showman" at a Sunday morning show and despite it being a big budget, popular entertainment, only half a dozen other people were in the theater - all well-behaved adults. Score. 

If you have access to such showings - go. I think it will help you enjoy the experience of going to a movie theater alone like you enjoy the theater (with no funny looks!)

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#25Seeing shows by yourself
Posted: 9/14/18 at 12:31pm

theaterdarling said: "couldn't help but comment and try to encourage you JudyDenmark to enjoy going to a movie alone."

Thank you for this! It's one of those things that I feel like I should do... and then laugh at myself for ever feeling weird about it in the first place. Maybe I'll venture out this weekend. I do live in NYC so there are more than enough options of theatres and showtimes.