2019 Tony Snubs

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#12019 Tony Snubs
Posted: 6/9/19 at 11:31pm

The Waverly Gallery? I liked Boys in the Band when I saw it, but Waverly Gallery is just so gut-wrenching and harrowing that I still think about it from time to time.

taylortrensch Profile Photo
taylortrensch
#22019 Tony Snubs
Posted: 6/9/19 at 11:34pm

I was pretty convinced that Beetlejuice would get scenic design. Damn. 

don't message me thinking im taylor trensch?? what would he be doing on bww?? you can't possibly be that dumb bye

MannPhan24601
#32019 Tony Snubs
Posted: 6/9/19 at 11:35pm

Tootsie for score and Sarah Stiles(Ali totally deserved though )

And John Behlmann should have been nominated (He was HILARIOUS)

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#42019 Tony Snubs
Posted: 6/9/19 at 11:38pm

Kiss Me, Kate for choreography. Ain’t Too Proud is definitely impressive, but all of the unique and creative ways dance was utilized in this production more than deserved the award.

Hairspray0901
#52019 Tony Snubs
Posted: 6/9/19 at 11:40pm

As someone who didn’t enjoy Kiss Me Kate, I thought they should have won choreography.

Also - Beetlejuice, in my opinion, should have taken scenic design and lighting design

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#62019 Tony Snubs
Posted: 6/9/19 at 11:41pm

taylortrensch said: "I was pretty convinced that Beetlejuice would get scenic design. Damn."

Yup I felt bad for David Korins as I, too, felt he did an amazing job with Beetlejuice's scenic design. 

Alex Kulak2
#72019 Tony Snubs
Posted: 6/9/19 at 11:47pm

Fun Fact: Larry Hochman's Tony-nominated orchestrations for KISS ME KATE have an almost identical instrumentation to the 1999 revival (1999 had a harp, another percussionist and another violinist). I know a lot more goes into orchestration than instrumentation, but Charlie Rosen's work on BE MORE CHILL was so much more interesting and creative.

MannPhan24601
#82019 Tony Snubs
Posted: 6/9/19 at 11:53pm

Is David Korins the new Leonardo DiCaprio/Kelli O'Hara/Danny Burnstein ? I mean , he lost for Hamilton

RyanInVancouver Profile Photo
RyanInVancouver
#92019 Tony Snubs
Posted: 6/9/19 at 11:59pm

I feel snubbed for the three hours of my life I won't get back after watching the show tonight.

JuneJune
#102019 Tony Snubs
Posted: 6/10/19 at 12:02am

Beetlejuice for scenic and lighting.

But especially Kiss Me, Kate! for choreography.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#112019 Tony Snubs
Posted: 6/10/19 at 12:03am

Alex Kulak2 said: "Fun Fact: Larry Hochman's Tony-nominated orchestrations for KISS ME KATE have an almost identical instrumentation to the 1999 revival (1999 had a harp, another percussionist and another violinist). I know a lot more goes into orchestration than instrumentation, but Charlie Rosen's work on BE MORE CHILL was so much more interesting and creative."

Yeah, a lot more goes into orchestration than just instrumentation. Look at just about any single production of Godspell, which is usually just a rock combo. Look at just the original production and the 2012 production side by side. Basically the same instrumentation. I think it's unfair to water down what orchestration is by the orchestra personnel. (Also, Larry Hochman is one of the best, most reliable orchestrators in the biz.)

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#122019 Tony Snubs
Posted: 6/10/19 at 12:04am

RyanInVancouver said: "I feel snubbed for the three hours of my life I won't get back after watching the show tonight."

You need a DVR. Was only 2ish without commercials...

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#132019 Tony Snubs
Posted: 6/10/19 at 12:05am

Beetlejuice for scenic design is the big one for me.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#142019 Tony Snubs
Posted: 6/10/19 at 12:07am

OKLAHOMA for Best Orchestrations and KISS ME KATE or HADESTOWN for Best Choreography.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#152019 Tony Snubs
Posted: 6/10/19 at 12:09am

I loved Beetlejuice, but did y’all see Hadestown? That set is so complex. To me Beetlejuice looks cool, but besides the house set, what was great about it?

TonightsMarquee
#162019 Tony Snubs
Posted: 6/10/19 at 12:09am

None, none at all.

TooTiredForThis
#172019 Tony Snubs
Posted: 6/10/19 at 12:15am

MannPhan24601 said: "Tootsie for score and Sarah Stiles(Ali totally deserved though )

And John Behlmann should have been nominated (He was HILARIOUS)
"

...Tootsie only got nominated for score because of Yazbek. It's score is worse than bad, it's forgettable. It's the only show I can remember nothing from. I tried to remember unstoppable... and I can only think of Impossible from Cinderella. At least cringey shows can be fun if reworked later. Tootsie is just... nothing. 

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#182019 Tony Snubs
Posted: 6/10/19 at 12:21am

I don't think there were any snubs.

I did think The Waverly Gallery should've won for revival though.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#192019 Tony Snubs
Posted: 6/10/19 at 12:25am

Biggest snub was them capitalizing on Be More Chill, without shouting out the show, or as someone on twitter suggested, incorporated George or Joe. Don't pander to the fanbase if you're just gonna give them the shaft.

cougarnewtin Profile Photo
cougarnewtin
#202019 Tony Snubs
Posted: 6/10/19 at 12:27am

Nothing really surprised me this year! Which I guess was both a good and a bad thing (made for a slightly less exciting night, but also means that I think what needed to be rewarded was rewarded).

That said, I don’t think I can point to any real snubs. There were a few where the person I was rooting for didn’t win, but I felt that the winner was still a strong and valid choice. I was rooting for Amber to win Best Supporting; however, Ali Stroker still definitely deserved the role as well. The same goes for Uranowotz in Burn This losing to Carvel; not exactly how I wanted it to go, but I can’t point to it being a snub either.

Honestly a pretty good show! Going to bed NOWHERE near as upset as I was after the 2017 Tony’s...

VintageSnarker
#212019 Tony Snubs
Posted: 6/10/19 at 12:28am

It's hard to think of snubs since the majority of the winners were expected. Is it a snub at this point?

I would say Amber, not as a knock against Ali, but only because I really wanted Amber to win and I don't know how many more Great Comet and Hadestown style shows are going to get to Broadway.

Also, most of that post on the BWW Phonys is silly except for the part about Laura deserving recognition for My Fair Lady.

IHeartNY2
#222019 Tony Snubs
Posted: 6/10/19 at 12:30am

Really hoping for the Prom 2019 Tony Snubs 

BOM  Profile Photo
BOM
#232019 Tony Snubs
Posted: 6/10/19 at 12:31am

Amber gray and Beetlejuice for best scenic design. I hate to be that guy, but Ali got the sympathy vote.

Pose2 Profile Photo
Pose2
#242019 Tony Snubs
Posted: 6/10/19 at 1:44am

Wow. Nope, she deserved that award. Thank you exposing yourself as that guy though, Gross. 

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#252019 Tony Snubs
Posted: 6/10/19 at 1:58am

I still feel Spencer Liff should have been nominated — and won — for HEAD OVER HEELS. His choreography was outstanding and I found myself watching the eight ensemble members more than the principals.