pixeltracker

What composer has the best singing voice?

What composer has the best singing voice?

Alex Kulak2
#1What composer has the best singing voice?
Posted: 7/28/19 at 3:15pm

Of course, not all composers have to be great singers (just like how not all playwrights have to be great actors), but there are some songwriters that I find myself preferring their versions of their songs over other singers/actors.

Jason Robert Brown has a really nice bluesy quality to his voice, and he's probably my favorite composer's singing voice. What are some of your favorites?

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#2What composer has the best singing voice?
Posted: 7/28/19 at 3:18pm

My vote goes to Adam Guettel.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#3What composer has the best singing voice?
Posted: 7/28/19 at 3:29pm

I think Sara Bareilles is pretty good. wink

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#4What composer has the best singing voice?
Posted: 7/28/19 at 3:46pm

Dave Malloy is pretty good too

JSquared2
#5What composer has the best singing voice?
Posted: 7/28/19 at 4:06pm

Elton John and Cyndi Lauper ain’t bad!

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#6What composer has the best singing voice?
Posted: 7/28/19 at 4:18pm

Alex Kulak2 said: "Of course, not all composers have to be great singers(just like how not all playwrights have to be great actors), but there are some songwriters that I find myself preferring their versions of their songs over other singers/actors.

Jason Robert Brown has a really nice bluesy quality to his voice, and he's probably my favorite composer's singing voice. What are some of your favorites?
"

I saw Brown do The Last Five Years live with Lauren Kennedy.  They were the best Jamie and Cathy.  He WAS the character, and his voice was strong and perfect.

Alex Kulak2
#7What composer has the best singing voice?
Posted: 7/28/19 at 4:26pm

Skip23 said: "Alex Kulak2 said: "Of course, not all composers have to be great singers(just like how not all playwrights have to be great actors), but there are some songwriters that I find myself preferring their versions of their songs over other singers/actors.

"

I saw Brown do The Last Five Years live with Lauren Kennedy. They were the best Jamie and Cathy. He WAS the character, and his voice was strong and perfect.

"

Was that back in 2001 in Chicago? That sounds absolutely amazing.

lachri5
#8What composer has the best singing voice?
Posted: 7/28/19 at 4:58pm

Steven Lutvak (A Gentleman's Guide) has quite a beautiful singing voice:

https://youtu.be/oByncbHn4cM?t=318

If counting crossover stars, Sting.

Updated On: 7/29/19 at 04:58 PM

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#9What composer has the best singing voice?
Posted: 7/28/19 at 5:01pm

Alex Kulak2 said: "Skip23 said: "Alex Kulak2 said: "Of course, not all composers have to be great singers(just like how not all playwrights have to be great actors), but there are some songwriters that I find myself preferring their versions of their songs over other singers/actors.

"

I saw Brown do The Last Five Years live with Lauren Kennedy. They were the best Jamie and Cathy. He WAS the character, and his voice was strong and perfect.

"

Was that back in 2001 in Chicago? That sounds absolutely amazing.
"

No.  It was back in the late Aughts (I think).  Special performance at Cooper Union in NYC.  She stopped the show - I mean REALLY stopped it - for Weekend In Ohio.  People were screaming over her held note in that song.  His Shiksa Goddess was the best I've ever heard.

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#10What composer has the best singing voice?
Posted: 7/28/19 at 5:08pm

Most of the suggestions here were already pop stars BEFORE they were composers.... so obviously they are going to have nice voices. I guess that’s fine because the rules weren’t set, but I’d imagine this is more about people who are more known for their composing then their singing.....

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
Updated On: 7/28/19 at 05:08 PM

Impossible2
#11What composer has the best singing voice?
Posted: 7/28/19 at 5:21pm

Wick3 said: "Dave Malloy is pretty good too"

I was very impressed with his Pierre when I saw him a couple of times in the last few weeks of the Broadway run. He really NAILED Dust and Ashes one particular night. Sure he is no Groban, who is, but he more than held his own. 

An good actor however, he is not x

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#12What composer has the best singing voice?
Posted: 7/28/19 at 6:46pm

it’s an interesting question - it’s true that a lot of musical theatre composers have only passable singing voices.

Obviously you have people like Elton John and Sara Bareilles, but I don’t really think that sort of example is what the OP was asking about. You also have people like Grace McLean, who are mostly known for being musical theatre performers, but go on to write a musical

But as far as people who are mostly known for composing specifically for musical theatre, I would say Andrew Lippa is one of the best. When he performed in his own Harvey Milk oratorio, it was clear that he is a bona fide singer, with actual training and technique. As opposed to many musical theatre composers who mostly just know how to carry their own tunes.

Updated On: 7/28/19 at 06:46 PM

trpguyy
#13What composer has the best singing voice?
Posted: 7/28/19 at 7:17pm

While not as well known as the others mentioned, Jonathan Reid Gealt easily has the best voice of any theatre composer I’ve ever heard.

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#14What composer has the best singing voice?
Posted: 7/28/19 at 7:33pm

I’m quite fond of the late Jonathon Larson’s voice.

HennySlay
#15What composer has the best singing voice?
Posted: 7/28/19 at 8:53pm

Pasek and Paul can both sing. They were MTs af UMICH.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#16What composer has the best singing voice?
Posted: 7/28/19 at 9:50pm

I always liked Noel Coward's delivery of his own songs, though that's an acquired taste.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#17What composer has the best singing voice?
Posted: 7/28/19 at 9:50pm

Leonard Bernstein had a beautiful singing voice (demonstrated frequently in his Young People's Concerts series), but for the life of me, I can't remember hearing him ever sing songs from his own shows.

Updated On: 7/28/19 at 09:50 PM

InTheBathroom1
#18What composer has the best singing voice?
Posted: 7/28/19 at 10:00pm

I was gonna mention Pasek and Paul as well. And Drew Gasparini also has an awesome voice!

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#19What composer has the best singing voice?
Posted: 7/28/19 at 10:11pm

I listen to the Duncan Sheik demo for Spring Awakening much more than the official album.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#20What composer has the best singing voice?
Posted: 7/29/19 at 12:49am

darquegk said: "I listen to the Duncan Sheik demo for Spring Awakening much more than the official album."

A Sheik fan here.  I have listened to "She Runs Away" too many times!

Just give the world Love.

Rainah
#21What composer has the best singing voice?
Posted: 7/29/19 at 2:18am

TheGingerBreadMan said: "I’m quite fond of the late Jonathon Larson’s voice."

I saw a video, obviously recorded by a friend in the audience, of him performing a selection of TTB. Powerful stuff. It's not the smoothest voice, but emotional and evocative indeed

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#22What composer has the best singing voice?
Posted: 7/29/19 at 2:18am

Harold Arlen was no slouch vocally.

another sloe eyed vamp Profile Photo
another sloe eyed vamp
#23What composer has the best singing voice?
Posted: 7/29/19 at 9:13am

Another vote for Jason Robert Brown as the best, but I enjoy David Yazbek's voice on his demos and his solo albums as well. Some of the songs, not as much, but I do like his singing style. And all his work for musicals.

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#24What composer has the best singing voice?
Posted: 7/29/19 at 9:34am

I'm going to second Dave Malloy - he sings with more emotion than 90% of the actors I've seen. Honorable mention to the unique and rich voice of Anais Mitchell.

VintageSnarker
#25What composer has the best singing voice?
Posted: 7/29/19 at 9:47am

Obviously, Sara Bareilles. But there's something really pure and wholesome about the way Alan Menken sings his own songs.