Creatives playing cast

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#1Creatives playing cast
Posted: 12/27/19 at 1:03pm

What are some examples of writers directing and/or performing in their own work? Obviously we know Lin-Manuel Miranda and Sara Bareilles have done it, but what other examples can you think of?

Has anyone acted, written, and directed a show all at once?

Is doing this normally a successful outing?

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Creatives playing cast
Posted: 12/27/19 at 1:13pm

Sherie Rene Scott

Mel Brooks

Barbra Streisand

(Didnt know if you were only looking at bway)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 12/27/19 at 01:13 PM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#3Creatives playing cast
Posted: 12/27/19 at 1:18pm

Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "What are some examples of writers directing and/or performing in their own work? Obviously we know Lin-Manuel Miranda and Sara Bareilles have done it, but what other examples can you think of?

"

Your 2 chosen examples didn’t direct any of their work.  

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#4Creatives playing cast
Posted: 12/27/19 at 1:22pm

Yes I know, I should've been clear in meaning any COMBINATION of the three.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

orph3us Profile Photo
orph3us
#5Creatives playing cast
Posted: 12/27/19 at 1:39pm

Dave Malloy was Pierre in the tent production of The Great Comet and he played him again at the end of the broadway run.

superiska123
#6Creatives playing cast
Posted: 12/27/19 at 1:39pm

The obvious (and amazing) example is John Cameron Mitchell (who wrote the book) in Hedwig and the Angry Inch. As a bonus, Steven Trask (who wrote the music and lyrics) also appeared in the original production as part of the on-stage band.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#7Creatives playing cast
Posted: 12/27/19 at 1:50pm

You clearly said and/or....not your lack of clarity.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Islander_fan
#8Creatives playing cast
Posted: 12/27/19 at 2:09pm

Tracy Letts is goin to be in the cast of his new play The Minuets that opens up in the spring at The Cort. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#9Creatives playing cast
Posted: 12/27/19 at 2:20pm

dramamama611 said: "You clearly said and/or....not your lack of clarity."

Creatives playing cast

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#10Creatives playing cast
Posted: 12/27/19 at 2:21pm

The role of "director" wasn't yet as clearly defined as it is today, but a century ago, George M. Cohan wrote, directed, produced and starred in his own musicals--often and highly successfully.

More recently--in the early to mid-1960s--Anthony Newley wrote (with Leslie Bricusse), directed and starred in STOP THE WORLD, I WANT TO GET OFF and THE ROAR OF THE GREASEPAINT, THE SMELL OF THE CROWD in the West End and on Broadway

In 1983, Tommy Tune (with co-stager Thommie Walsh), directed, choreographed and starred in MY ONE AND ONLY. Per IBDB, the credits didn't mention a "director"; instead, Tune and Walsh were credited jointly with "staging" and (second credit) "choreography". But I think it was clear Tune was directing as well as choreographing (with Walsh's collaboration--I don't mean to minimize the latter's contribution).

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#11Creatives playing cast
Posted: 12/27/19 at 2:49pm

Title of Show is a good example of this.

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

A Director
#12Creatives playing cast
Posted: 12/28/19 at 9:07pm

Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "What are some examples of writers directing and/or performing in their own work? Obviously we know Lin-Manuel Miranda and Sara Bareilles have done it, but what other examples can you think of?

"

Noel Coward wrote, directed and starred in some of his plays.

George S. Kaufman co-wrote, directed and played a small role in ONCE IN A LIFETIME.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#13Creatives playing cast
Posted: 12/28/19 at 9:33pm

I know Willy Russell was on one of the recordings of his show Blood Brothers; not sure if he ever did it on stage. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#14Creatives playing cast
Posted: 12/28/19 at 10:25pm

As for writing/performing, this is extremely common. Aside from the ones already mentioned, a few of the recent examples include: Larry David, Sting, Harvey Fierstein, Nia Vardalos, Shaina Taub, Halley Feiffer, Kate Hammill, Grace McLean, The Bengsons, Ngozi Anyanwu, Amy Staats, David Cale, and many more. 

As for writers/directors, this isn't as common, but you do see it. Some examples I can think of off-hand include Enda Walsh, Simon Stone, Richard Nelson, Emma Rice (of Kneehigh), John Patrick Shanley, Alan Ayckbourn, Robert O'Hara, Claire Van Kampen, Jason Robert Brown.

The rarest combination, I think, is acting/directing, mostly because I think it's the most difficult to do well onstage. It's done relatively often in film, but it seems to be much more difficult to do in theatre. Kenneth Branagh has acted in his own productions quite a lot, both onstage and on screen, but he does it much to the detriment of the quality of his performances, in my opinion. Eric Tucker, of Bedlam Theatre Company, also always acts in his own productions. And Fiasco's Ben Steinfeld and Noah Brody also frequently co-directed and act in their productions. 

MollyJeanneMusic
#15Creatives playing cast
Posted: 12/28/19 at 10:35pm

JBroadway said: "As for writing/performing, this is extremelycommon. Aside from the ones already mentioned, a few of therecent examples include: Larry David, Sting, Harvey Fierstein, Nia Vardalos, Shaina Taub, Halley Feiffer, Kate Hammill, Grace McLean, The Bengsons, Ngozi Anyanwu, Amy Staats, David Cale, and many more.

As for writers/directors, this isn't as common, but you do see it. Some examples I can think of off-hand include Enda Walsh, Simon Stone, Richard Nelson, Emma Rice (of Kneehigh), John Patrick Shanley, Alan Ayckbourn, Robert O'Hara, Claire Van Kampen, Jason Robert Brown.

The rarest combination, I think, is acting/directing, mostly because I think it's the most difficult to do well onstage. It's done relatively often in film, but it seems to be much more difficult to do in theatre. Kenneth Branagh has acted in his own productions quite a lot, both onstage and on screen, but he does it much to the detriment of the quality of his performances, in my opinion. Eric Tucker, of Bedlam Theatre Company, also always acts in his own productions. And Fiasco's Ben Steinfeld and Noah Brody also frequently co-directed and act in their productions.
"

This isn't Broadway, but my local performing arts center did a production of Jesus Christ Superstar where the director also played Jesus.  He was excellent - and apparently, he also did the same for a production of Hedwig and the Angry Inch last year.

"I think that when a movie says it was 'based on a true story,' oh, it happened - just with uglier people." - Peanut Walker, Shucked

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#16Creatives playing cast
Posted: 12/29/19 at 8:49am

Gerome Ragni and James Rado played Berger and Claude in the original Broadway cast of Hair. (With an assist from Joe Donovan to provide the O'Horgan-isms that had already become a staple of the show, they also directed the Toronto production, though they did not appear in it.)

Tim Rice frequently played Pharaoh in the earliest productions of Joseph, and also played the Narrator (a male role before they discovered Laurie Beechman and her successors belting the hell out of it was way cooler) on a studio recording in the late Seventies. (He also played one of the priests -- and was the guy counting the 39 lashes -- on the concept recording of JCS.)

Sticking to that same team, ALW frequently played on early recordings of his early work (and contributed background vocals to the JCS album), which I know is not quite the same thing, but close enough.

Stephen Sondheim had a famous one-line cameo on the original cast recording of Gypsy as Rose's dad (something to do with the salary of the actor playing it being too prohibitive under cast recording conditions to make it worth calling him in for a single line).

Paul Scott Goodman appeared as -- more or less -- himself (the character was called "The Writer," but it was basically him) in the NYTW production of Bright Lights, Big City, a role that was later excised from the show and does not appear in the licensed version. (To hear people tell it in reviews and in Elizabeth L. Wollman's book The Theater Will Rock, it doesn't really sound like the character served much of a purpose anyway.)

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky
Updated On: 12/29/19 at 08:49 AM

StephieElise
#17Creatives playing cast
Posted: 12/29/19 at 9:54am

A bit different, but one night Toby Marlow went on as Catherine Parr in Six on the West End. There was apparently a bug going through the cast so they had to pull in a performer from an earlier production plus Toby and did a scaled back concert version; the Megasix is online.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#18Creatives playing cast
Posted: 12/29/19 at 10:29am

Noel Coward

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#19Creatives playing cast
Posted: 12/29/19 at 6:13pm

Heidi Schreck recently performed her own play on Broadway, What The Constitution Means To Me.

Alex Kulak2
#20Creatives playing cast
Posted: 12/29/19 at 11:38pm

David Cromer directed and played the Stage Manager in the off-Broadway production of Our Town.

Stew wrote the book, music, lyrics, orchestrations, and played the lead in Passing Strange, a full decade before Dave Malloy did the same stunt with Great Comet.

TheGingerBreadMan
#21Creatives playing cast
Posted: 12/29/19 at 11:44pm

Billy Joe Armstrong did a run as St. Jimmy in American Idiot on Broadway.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#22Creatives playing cast
Posted: 12/30/19 at 12:02am

Alex Kulak2 said: "David Cromer directed and played the Stage Manager in the off-Broadway production of Our Town.”

That’s fascinating! I love the idea of the Director playing the Stage Manager. And I bet David Cramer did a great job. 

I’d love to hear more examples of directors performing in their own productions, as I think it’s far more rare, and far more interesting (in terms of the level of difficulty, and the varied results) than writer/performer.

We can go on for days naming examples of writers performing in their own shows. Like I said above, it’s pretty common. 

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#23Creatives playing cast
Posted: 12/30/19 at 2:51am

Eddie Dowling co-directed and starred as Tom in the original Broadway production of the Glass Menagerie.

The Other One
#24Creatives playing cast
Posted: 12/30/19 at 7:47am

JBroadway said: "Alex Kulak2 said: "David Cromer directed and played the Stage Manager in the off-Broadway production of Our Town.”

That’s fascinating! I love the idea of the Director playing the Stage Manager. And I bet David Cramer did a great job.

You bet right!

Sam Shepard directed some of his own plays in NY.  Kicking A Dead Horse, Simpatico, and the original productions of A Lie of the Mind and Fool For Love.  He and co-author Patti Smith also appeared together in the original production of their Cowboy Mouth.  I am not sure if this counts, but he also starred in the film version of Fool for Love, which was directed by Robert Altman.

Wallace Shawn has appeared in most of his plays in NY, although he has never directed them.  

Updated On: 12/30/19 at 07:47 AM

TheGingerBreadMan
#25Creatives playing cast
Posted: 12/30/19 at 9:33am

Perhaps more frequent than the combo of actor/director, but less so than actor/playwright, is playwright/director. An example that comes to mind is Neil LaBute directing productions of his plays The Mercy Seat and The Shape of Things.