FROZEN closes on Broadway

binau Profile Photo
binau
#2FROZEN closes on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/20 at 4:21pm

Wow.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#3FROZEN closes on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/20 at 4:22pm

I really feel for the new cast.

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

FlyHigh523 Profile Photo
FlyHigh523
#4FROZEN closes on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/20 at 4:23pm

This is so upsetting.

Broadway Buddy
#5FROZEN closes on Broadway

I feel incredibly terrible for the brand new cast. I hope they get offered the tour or something like that. I really enjoyed the show. Super cute and fun. I’m going to miss it.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#6FROZEN closes on Broadway

This makes me think it was going to close soon anyhow. Half pandemic, half Disney strategy.

Does suck for the new leads.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

JennH
#7FROZEN closes on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/20 at 4:26pm

Umm ok so fun fact....I was told quite a while ago by a former CM that it was going to close anyway to make way for the BntB revival. I wasn't about to put that anywhere in writing before it was official. But of course, it sounds like Madame 'Rona' changed their initial plans, and now have to close earlier than expected. I detest the show, but I do feel bad for the new cast that had barely just joined...

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#8FROZEN closes on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/20 at 4:26pm

blaxx said: "This makes me think it was going to close soon anyhow. Half pandemic, half Disney strategy.

Does suck for the new leads.
"

Exactly what I stated in the other thread - there’s a new Disney production in the works that they wanted to make room for.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#9FROZEN closes on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/20 at 4:27pm

I'm guessing Disney will now focus their money on Aida.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#10FROZEN closes on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/20 at 4:28pm

Honestly, this is shocking. If a Disney show can’t survive no one is safe. So sorry for the entire cast and crew. Especially Ciara, who seems to have bad luck when being employed by Disney.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

trpguyy
#11FROZEN closes on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/20 at 4:28pm

Alluded to - but not specifically stated - in the article, plans for the Aida tour have been scrapped.

MannPhan24601
#12FROZEN closes on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/20 at 4:29pm

I noticed Disney is a producer for Mrs Doubtfire . I hope it isn't jepordy for them either ... I'm shocked , espically with the success of Frozen 2.

Beetlejuice to the St . James ????

Updated On: 5/14/20 at 04:29 PM

Theatrefanboy1
#13FROZEN closes on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/20 at 4:30pm

And so it begins...

I will say if Frozen is taking this route. I do expect at least 10-12 open runs to begin closing down between now and September 8. I don’t see how they can sustain with the uncertainty of now a realistic March 2021 opening. I fear for Mean Girls, Jagged Little Pill, Ain’t Too Proud, Diana, Tina, Girl From The North, Aladdin, Mrs Doubtfire.

It wouldn’t surprise me that Disney would hope to the bring in either the revival of Beauty and the Beast or the Hercules production. But it is clear to me with this notice. That the theatres of New York billing’s will look completely different come the broadway reopening.

So sad for all those who have been involved in the shows and so many now left in uncertainty.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#14FROZEN closes on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/20 at 4:31pm

Bummer ~ Here we go - just the beginning of shows closing due to the pandemic..1/2 the shows on BWAY won't be around once BWAY reopens...SAD reality 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#15FROZEN closes on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/20 at 4:31pm

FROZEN is still scheduled to open on the West End later this year.

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#16FROZEN closes on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/20 at 4:35pm

Shocked. This is not a good with for many shows. I didn’t think the big guys would go down.

Is Book of Mormon safe? Chicago?

Is broadway just reopening with Lion King, Hamilton, Wicked, and Phantom?

I’m shook.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#17FROZEN closes on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/20 at 4:36pm

MannPhan24601 said: "I noticed Disney is a producer for Mrs Doubtfire . I hope it isn't jepordy for them either ... I'm shocked , espically with the success of Frozen 2.

"

I don’t think that is true.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#18FROZEN closes on Broadway

trpguyy said: "Alluded to - but not specifically stated - in the article, plans for the Aida tour have been scrapped. "

I wonder if Disney will cancel the Papermill production, too? Or if they plan to send it straight to Broadway for 2021-2022 season?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#19FROZEN closes on Broadway

Of all the long running shows, I’d say the least “safe” is CHICAGO.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#20FROZEN closes on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/20 at 4:38pm

Disney has been hit especially by the pandemic, given the nature of their empire, so I am not surprised that they would cut their losses on Frozen, which did good business but was never the runaway hit it was expected to be.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

MannPhan24601
#21FROZEN closes on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/20 at 4:40pm

Call_me_jorge said: "MannPhan24601 said: "I noticed Disney is a producer for Mrs Doubtfire . I hope it isn't jepordy for them either ... I'm shocked , espically with the success of Frozen 2.

"

I don’t think that is true.
"

It has Buena Vista Theatricals as a producer since Disney owns Fox Films now ... Don't think it will be a "Disney on Broadway show " but they are producing ...

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#22FROZEN closes on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/20 at 4:40pm

I was looking at the grosses for Frozen and they seem to almost always be just below gross potential for a year now. Sure it's fine for most shows, but it's Disney and they have the tour going already and the West End premiere.

I just feel bad for that cast and crew, they probably figured Disney would protect them. Now it's just the first domino to fall.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#23FROZEN closes on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/20 at 4:41pm

I would not read to much into this announcement per se. It is sui generis, for several reasons. That's not to say other shows will not fold (they will) but I agree with those who say that this is a confluence of driving forces. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#24FROZEN closes on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/20 at 4:42pm

Good riddance, Frozen. I got to see the final Broadway preview back in March 2018. I thought the first 20 minutes were sensational, the rest (sans "Let It Go"FROZEN closes on Broadway not so much. Congrats on a great Broadway run!

Oh look, a bibu!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#25FROZEN closes on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/20 at 4:42pm

Wonder if Phantom will ultimately survives. Disney has deep pockets so this is,a shot across everyones bow.

Poster Emeritus

Videos