pixeltracker

Shows I'm glad I took a chance on...

Shows I'm glad I took a chance on...

Julie Yard
#1Shows I'm glad I took a chance on...
Posted: 10/25/20 at 11:57am

The Band's Visit... grabbed tix last minute, Somehow hypnotic and silly. Went home floating.

The Bridges of Madison County... I know, miss Kelly O'Hara in anything? Really? But the book/movie held little interest. The musical? Saw that twice.

And you.?

Dolittle

theatreguy12
#2Shows I'm glad I took a chance on...
Posted: 10/25/20 at 12:34pm

Bright Star. Decided on a whim to pick up a ticket while I was in NYC. I had already seen everything I wanted to see.  Walking by the Cort I figured, what the hell.   I really enjoyed it!   I know many would argue the book was predictable in many ways, but Carmen Cusack sold it for me.  I became a huge fan.  Instantly.  And I loved the music.

The other one....an odd choice, I know, because of the raves it got and the Best Musical contender that it became.....was Come From Away.  Certainly a musical that would be an odd choice for a "take a chance on" musical, but I just wasn't sure I was in the mood for a 9/11 musical.  Even one presented in a positive, life-affirming format. My friend and I decided to give it a try.   And we were so impressed.  So good!

MCW1227 Profile Photo
MCW1227
#3Shows I'm glad I took a chance on...
Posted: 10/25/20 at 3:58pm

I second Bright Star, a very underrated show.  

Be Kind

MCW1227 Profile Photo
MCW1227
#4Shows I'm glad I took a chance on...
Posted: 10/25/20 at 3:58pm

I second Bright Star, a very underrated show.  

Be Kind

BCfitasafiddle
#5Shows I'm glad I took a chance on...
Posted: 10/25/20 at 4:11pm

MCW1227 said: "I second Bright Star, a veryunderrated show."

Bright Star for me too. One of my favorite experiences. 

Also, Tina. Wasn't sure if I was interested, but had a great time.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#6Shows I'm glad I took a chance on...
Posted: 10/25/20 at 4:40pm

"Ink" and "The Children"

Neither were really high on my list. Really enjoyed "Ink" and so glad I saw it.

"The Children" turned out to be my favorite play that year and since. It blew me away.

Something just told me to grab a ticket to see both as both were from London and I wanted to see more plays that were successful over there.

Just give the world Love.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#7Shows I'm glad I took a chance on...
Posted: 10/25/20 at 6:30pm

Titanic, for sure...and it certainly took convincing to see Come From Away.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#8Shows I'm glad I took a chance on...
Posted: 10/25/20 at 6:48pm

Grey Gardens: looking back, I am so happy I saw Christine Ebersole give this incredible performance.

The Play That Goes Wrong: it was part of my subscription plan, and was not excited to see it. But, laughed and throughly enjoyed myself. 

The Band's Visit: didn't believe all the hype around it when it opened on Broadway. Was a bit turned off by all the Tony Awards it won. Plot didn't excite me, but again, came as part of my subscription and was blown away. It was such a beautiful show. I fully understood everything that was said about it in praise. I have now seen all the shows it was nominated with that year for the Tonys and completely understand why it won and play the cast album frequently. 

Come From Away: I heard it was coming in a Pre-Broadway stop to Toronto. Having it be about fellow Canadians, and the writers being from the area was fine. I was like, meh. Then I heard the engagement was sold out, and for the first time in years standing room tickets were offered. (They never do that in Toronto). I stood in line, got one, and experienced one of the most incredible nights I have ever experienced in a theatre.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#9Shows I'm glad I took a chance on...
Posted: 10/25/20 at 7:34pm

I originally wasn't up to seeing The Prom when trying to choose something at the Lincoln Center TKTS boards early last year. However, it was the dead of winter, and "newer" musical options were few and far for a local theatergoer like me who once attended a small handful of shows a year. I decided to take a chance on it, and what did I receive? A fun story with a clever score, 2.5 hours of laughs, and to top it off, my most meaningful conversation with a music director. Oh, and Catherine Zeta-Jones and Michael Douglas were there that day, no big deal.

A preview of SpongeBob also fits this bill, though my family and I were offered the tickets. Yes, I was one of many that were skeptical about this show's potential, and it took me quite a while after I saw it to fully realize I enjoyed it. I didn't really get into the cartoon as a child, and I wasn't expecting too much, but I was proven wrong by the end of the first number. One of the greatest, most pleasant surprises of my young theatergoing career. 

Oh look, a bibu!

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#10Shows I'm glad I took a chance on...
Posted: 10/25/20 at 11:54pm

Groundhog Day. expected nothing, now it’s a top 10 experience for me

sparksatmidnight
#11Shows I'm glad I took a chance on...
Posted: 10/26/20 at 5:17am

Nice Work If You Can Get It and Sister Act

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#12Shows I'm glad I took a chance on...
Posted: 10/26/20 at 8:36am

Once. I thought it seemed like a total snooze fest. I only went because someone ended up not being able to use their ticket at the last minute and they gave it to me. I totally fell in love with the show. Such a lovely evening.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#13Shows I'm glad I took a chance on...
Posted: 10/26/20 at 9:23am

Of all the shows I saw just to see, the one that I still remember vividly being blown away with was the original 2004 Broadway production of CAROLINE, OR CHANGE.  

I remember watching Tonya's performance of "Lot's Wife" on the Tony Awards and dismissing it.  About a month later while planning another NYC extended weekend, which I did every other month back then (I now live in NYC), I saw that CAROLINE, OR CHANGE was closing the week I would be there.  Not wanting to miss seeing a flop show, I bought a ticket -- completely oblivious to the show's plot and score, aside from "Lot's Wife."  The moment the orchestra struck the first chords and that Afro-beat kicked in after Tonya's stage entrance humming, my jaw dropped.  I think I had my mouth open the entire first act.  The music, the performances, the story -- I was blown away.  To this day, this is one of the best theatrical experiences I ever had and on a musical I solely went in blind and only to check off my list of flop shows I've seen.  

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#14Shows I'm glad I took a chance on...
Posted: 10/26/20 at 10:02am

Jagged Little Pill

Tina

Bat Out of Hell

Be More Chill

The Band's Visit

Groundhog Day

Come From Away

American Psycho

Fun Home

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

Matilda

Love Never Dies

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#15Shows I'm glad I took a chance on...
Posted: 10/26/20 at 10:05am

The Prom - saw it the week after its opening and didn't really know anything about it. I actually thought it may have been similar to the off off off bway show several years ago called Awesome 80s Prom. Didn't have any expectations but absolutely loved it. I laughed and cried and had a great time.

In & Of Itself - At first I only heard it was a magic show and thus didn't prioritize it but wow I was blown away! I ended up seeing it 5 more times during its off-bway run with different friends. Still mind-boggling and can't wait to see its filmed version on Hulu in the future.

Brigadoon - This was the City Center production back in 2017. I saw cheap last minute tickets on stubhub and sooooo glad I got to see Kelli O'Hara, Patrick Wilson, and Stephanie J Block perform all together! Christopher Wheeldon's choreography was a sight to see as well. So glad I took a chance and saw this!

Templeton33
#16Shows I'm glad I took a chance on...
Posted: 10/26/20 at 11:03am

The Other Place. Laurie Metcalf's performance was the best live performance I've ever seen.

another sloe eyed vamp Profile Photo
another sloe eyed vamp
#17Shows I'm glad I took a chance on...
Posted: 10/26/20 at 11:03am

Hadestown. I saw it in previews, knew almost nothing about it, and it turned out to be one of the best things I've ever seen. 

Arcadia. I was in Manhattan for work, had one night unexpectedly free, and not much time to pick out anything. I'm so glad I ended up at Arcadia. I was literally in tears at the end because it was over. 

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#18Shows I'm glad I took a chance on...
Posted: 10/26/20 at 2:49pm

I saw and loved many of my choices but for me the "took a chance" part of the question brings to mind shows I hadn't necessarily heard amazing things about but decided to see specifically because it seemed likely I'd never get another chance, in any iteration, like Graciela Daniele's "Chronicle of a Death Foretold" musical on Broadway or "American Psycho." Neither was around long, neither seems likely to resurface even when theater is happening again and I'm thrilled I saw both.

FindingNamo
#19Shows I'm glad I took a chance on...
Posted: 10/26/20 at 3:25pm

Julie Yard: "Somehow hypnotic and silly."

I worship this synopsis and am starting a religion around it.  Where can I Venmo my tithing?

Holy crap. "Julie Yard." I just got that. You're my new pope.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#20Shows I'm glad I took a chance on...
Posted: 10/26/20 at 8:11pm

Not knowing what the tone of the show would be like, I thought Xanadu sounded like the stupidest idea I’d ever heard for a musical. I had a blast and ended up seeing it three times on Broadway and a couple of times locally. 

Incidentally, I preferred Curtis Holbrook to Cheyenne Jackson, though it’s a close call.

Updated On: 10/26/20 at 08:11 PM