pixeltracker

Will Company return when broadway returns?

Will Company return when broadway returns?

nativenewyorker2
Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2Will Company return when broadway returns?
Posted: 1/15/21 at 7:48pm

Yes

NameGreg Profile Photo
NameGreg
#3Will Company return when broadway returns?
Posted: 1/15/21 at 7:52pm

This certainly seems likely. A beloved musical with enough big names attached, not to mention a lot of hype going towards this particularly production.

“Somebody stop me before I sing again” - Bazzard

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#4Will Company return when broadway returns?
Posted: 1/15/21 at 8:19pm

The cast might look different, but they have been committed to reopening the entire time. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#5Will Company return when broadway returns?
Posted: 1/15/21 at 8:19pm

I am on board with this notion. I think it checks all the boxes. If my projection of 6 shows opening fall/winter is on point, why not?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#6Will Company return when broadway returns?
Posted: 1/15/21 at 8:24pm

I hope they do- I’ve heard great things so far!

Oh look, a bibu!

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#7Will Company return when broadway returns?
Posted: 1/15/21 at 8:49pm

Chris Harper from this Dateline article: " We were really fortunate with Company. The show had been rehearsed, we had teched the show and, more importantly, we knew audiences were having the most amazing time. The business of the show was literally smash-hit business. It was the kind of journey a producer dreams about. And the set is still sitting there, gathering dust, waiting in the wings.

We will be back. I can say with that with absolute certainty. We were getting standing ovations during the show. But it will certainly take months, not weeks, to get back up. You need time to rebuild ticket sales, to market the show and get the whole machine working again. Broadway is an expensive business."

https://deadline.com/2020/12/broadway-2021-coronavirus-shutdown-reopening-plans-1234660092/

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#8Will Company return when broadway returns?
Posted: 1/16/21 at 2:30am

I left the theater thinking this production was "Company light", and I mean that as a compliment. The material feels as fresh as if it had been written yesterday.  I also felt like time flew by while watching,

Elliot's direction is so sharp and swift that it makes Company feel so contemporary. I hope it comes back because it's great times.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#9Will Company return when broadway returns?
Posted: 1/16/21 at 5:21am

Someone mentioned the cast looking different. Having seen the show, the only cast member I’d like to switch is Katrina Lenk. The entire production was top notch and vibrant, but her Bobbi was not good (and I say this as someone who has adored her in other things). The voice wasn’t what it needed to be for her big realization and I’ve heard some people say they wanted more of an actress than a singer, but I didn’t find the emotion that great in the song either. And she seems too mature for the part. Just my two cents.

Theatrefanboy1
#10Will Company return when broadway returns?
Posted: 1/16/21 at 9:17am

I completely agree. I would love to see Stephanie j block

I think it’s likely to return. I agree that I wouldn’t be surprised if a few casting changes occur. But the show itself I think will open. If the rumour of only six shows opening in the fall as a soft open I predict: Hamilton. Phantom. Wicked. Lion king. Chicago. And Book of Mormon. If any new show was to open with that my prediction would be six. And possibly company

BdwyFan
#11Will Company return when broadway returns?
Posted: 1/16/21 at 9:26am

And Dear Evan Hansen too. Small enough show.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#12Will Company return when broadway returns?
Posted: 1/16/21 at 9:51am

Theatrefanboy1 said: "I completely agree. I would love to see Stephanie j block

I think it’s likely to return. I agree that I wouldn’t be surprised if a few casting changes occur. But the show itself I think will open. If the rumour of only six shows opening in the fall as a soft open I predict: Hamilton. Phantom. Wicked. Lion king. Chicago. And Book of Mormon. If any new show was to open with that my prediction would be six. And possibly company
"

Yes or Jessie Mueller!! 

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#13Will Company return when broadway returns?
Posted: 1/16/21 at 10:11am

Marianne Elliot, in a chat with John Doyle for his CSC pandemic chat series, said they absolutely will be back.

Get this: because *two* of their productions in the West End have had a roof collapse on them, her co-producer is so incredibly paranoid about insurance and he had pandemic insurance!!

John Doyle looked shocked and said, You're kidding. Elliot replied, Nope, he did!

So, funding isn't an issue with them. She said the plan would be to begin rehearsal from Day One, when they are able.

Now, if there will have to be recasting due to the pandemic, that's a good question.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#14Will Company return when broadway returns?
Posted: 1/16/21 at 11:31am

Shows like this will succeed since the industry will depend on New Yorkers, and people driving in from Jersey and Connecticut.

Sutton Ross
#15Will Company return when broadway returns?
Posted: 1/16/21 at 12:13pm

DramaTeach said: "Someone mentioned the cast looking different. Having seen the show, the only cast member I’d like to switch is Katrina Lenk. The entire production was top notch and vibrant, but her Bobbi was not good (and I say this as someone who has adored her in other things). The voice wasn’t what it needed to be for her big realization and I’ve heard some people say they wanted more of an actress than a singer, but I didn’t find the emotion that great in the song either. And she seems too mature for the part. Just my two cents."

That is the sole criticism of this production. Katrina was a full ten years older than the character when this started, which is a lot. More importantly, people have discussed she just doesn't have the vocal range for the part. I loved her in The Band's Visit and in The Marvelous Mrs.Maisel, such an incredible talent. But, is she a box office draw? Because if she is too mature for the part and doesn't have the range, wouldn't someone else be better? I don't think people bought tickets for this because of her. I could be wrong, but I assume this version of the show is the star. 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#16Will Company return when broadway returns?
Posted: 1/16/21 at 12:35pm

BroadwayNYC2 said: "Shows like this will succeed since the industry will depend on New Yorkers, and people driving in from Jersey and Connecticut."

I'm so ready to spend money on premium tickets for this (if they are still a thing). I have much money saved up from not seeing shows in a year (*sobs quietly*) that I will throw cash many times over at just about anything.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

binau Profile Photo
binau
#17Will Company return when broadway returns?
Posted: 1/16/21 at 12:36pm

I would like to see Laura Benanti or Patina Miller if we are talking potential replacements. However, I still do wonder can we really conclude that Katrina is DOA after 9 performances? I find that performances can and do evolve (e.g. Marin Mazzie in next to normal), plus people can always have vocal issues or health issues across odd weeks (e.g. Rosalie Craig herself in the London Company, or Bernadette Peters in every show she does). 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

NameGreg Profile Photo
NameGreg
#18Will Company return when broadway returns?
Posted: 1/16/21 at 12:52pm

Worth noting, Katrina Lenk has now had months to try to iron out any vocal issues. She could be far better by this point.

Personally I’m pretty sure she’ll be back, and I’m assuming most of the cast will return. Especially LuPone, as I’m sure they’re doing everything to make sure they keep her.

“Somebody stop me before I sing again” - Bazzard

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
#19Will Company return when broadway returns?
Posted: 1/16/21 at 12:56pm

I wonder if they might try bring back Jonathan Bailey as Jamie, who has become a little more known since Company on the West End, because of Bridgerton. 

Maybe they might even bring back the idea of Anne Hathaway as Bobbie, to try and drum up more sales post COVID?

Fosse76
#20Will Company return when broadway returns?
Posted: 1/16/21 at 1:04pm

BroadwayNYC2 said: "Shows like this will succeed since the industry will depend on New Yorkers, and people driving in from Jersey and Connecticut. "

In the first year of a show's run (more or less), the majority of the audience is from the region and less dependent on tourists. Newer shows may likely be better off than the old work horses like Phantom or Chicago. But those shows have "brand" recognition, and may do ok for people who want "comfort" entertainment, shows they know they'll enjoy. 

fosterfan2
#21Will Company return when broadway returns?
Posted: 1/16/21 at 1:29pm

NameGreg said: "Worth noting, Katrina Lenk has now had months to try to iron out any vocal issues. She could be far better by this point.

Personally I’m pretty sure she’ll be back, and I’m assuming most of the cast will return. Especially LuPone, as I’m sure they’re doing everything to make sure they keep her.
"

Good points. :)

Also,Katrina Lenk doesn't look her age. Her vocals did need some work,but she wasn't THAT bad. When I heard her in the virtual opening number in June (it's on YouTube),I thought she sounded pretty decent. I thought she also sounded good singing "Johanna" in the virtual Sondheim tribute concert in April.

cliffordbradshaw2
#22Will Company return when broadway returns?
Posted: 1/16/21 at 2:18pm

I saw the first preview, and while it's admittedly unfair to judge performances on that basis, Lenk seemed to me quite the wrong choice for this role in this production.  But then I felt that Rosalie Craig quietly carried the entire London production, a charming, bewildered, hugely appealing "Everywoman" that fit the new concept like a glove.  The best thing they could do is use the excuse that Lenk was now otherwise occupied and that Craig was now available for Broadway.    For that matter, I would strongly suggest bringing in Jonathan Bailey as well.

Sutton Ross
#23Will Company return when broadway returns?
Posted: 1/16/21 at 2:51pm

Matt Doyle has been completely committed to playing Jamie and he is a lot less busy than Jonathan.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#24Will Company return when broadway returns?
Posted: 1/16/21 at 3:53pm

Lenk made the production special and really elevated the material by presenting a Bobbie that is haunted and sundered by expectations and modernity. I just can't imagine some of the choices mentioned in the thread to fitting this interpretation or bring much to the role based on their past works. For me, Lauren Ambrose's performance in My Fair Lady was so special and incredibly fresh and beautiful that Benanti's more traditional take felt shallow and soulless to me in comparison. Same with Lenk. Her Bobbie really brings out the oomph of Sondheim's typical quirk uneasiness but with a contemporary update. Sure, you can evaluate a performance based on objective factors, and I don't deny that Lenk or Ambrose might not be the best SINGER for their respective role, but none of that can replace the "something special" Lenk or Ambrose brought to their respective revival.

Updated On: 1/16/21 at 03:53 PM

Sutton Ross
#25Will Company return when broadway returns?
Posted: 1/16/21 at 4:27pm

Lauren Ambrose is a classically trained opera singer. She was flawless as Eliza on the cast recording and in person. Her issues had nothing to do with her gorgeous voice. 

If you are in starring role in a musical, you need to be able to sing the songs. Period. 

Videos