News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

CURSED CHILD to alter BW production

CURSED CHILD to alter BW production

DrewJoseph
#1CURSED CHILD to alter BW production
Posted: 5/5/21 at 4:53pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/HARRY-POTTER-AND-THE-CURSED-CHILD-Aiming-for-2022-Broadway-Reopening-20210505

Anyone got anymore info on this?!

rpvee2
#2CURSED CHILD to alter BW production
Posted: 5/5/21 at 4:58pm

I wonder if those old rumors of it becoming one part are true.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#3CURSED CHILD to alter BW production
Posted: 5/5/21 at 5:07pm

There was some discussion about this a few months back - see the thread here, in case you're curious: 

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1123100#

As I said in that thread: changing to a 1-part structure would be a smart business decision for them, because they were fighting tooth and nail to keep up their high capacity % and the 2-part structure was a big obstacle in their marketing. Personally, I have mixed feelings about it from an artistic standpoint, but then I remember that it doesn't matter, because I have no intention of putting any more money in JK Rowling's pocket anyway, at least until she changes her transphobic tune. 

Updated On: 5/5/21 at 05:07 PM

SouthernCakes
#4CURSED CHILD to alter BW production
Posted: 5/5/21 at 5:48pm

Maybe they could make it into a double intermission type play? I just loved all the technical aspects and would hate to see all that disappear. But maybe there’s a way to streamline the whole show.

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#5CURSED CHILD to alter BW production
Posted: 5/5/21 at 6:18pm

I understand how two parts can be a hard sell, especially to tourists who might not want to commit so much time. But I really hope this doesn’t happen. The show seems quite complete, and I would hate for any of it to go away.

I’m intrigued by the two intermission idea, SouthernCakes. Make it a 4 hour experience. That way they only cut ~1 hour of material? Or even less if there’s an intermission then a “brief pause” like the Washington revival of Iceman. But maybe nothing will change!

JennH
#6CURSED CHILD to alter BW production
Posted: 5/5/21 at 6:32pm

I'm with J...not that I want tot put money in her pocket at the moment, but what exactly is the point? Is it literally only because it's a hard sell as two parts or is it safety? Because honestly a two parter would make no difference in safety. 

Islander_fan
#7CURSED CHILD to alter BW production
Posted: 5/5/21 at 8:17pm

JennH said: "I'm with J...not that I want tot put money in her pocket at the moment, but what exactly is the point? Is it literally only because it's a hard sell as two parts or is it safety? Because honestly a two parter would make no difference in safety."

It’s not a safety thing at all. The two part setup did well for a good long while after it opened. But, if memory served that sorta dwindled, at least on Broadway even before the pandemic 

KingOfTheMine Profile Photo
KingOfTheMine
#8CURSED CHILD to alter BW production
Posted: 5/5/21 at 8:56pm

Yes, they were definitely starting to struggle at the box office leading up to the pandemic.  I remember chatter on here about how easy it was to get tickets even day-of.  It was a far cry from the kind of business they were doing in the first year or so.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#9CURSED CHILD to alter BW production
Posted: 5/5/21 at 9:05pm

They don’t say anything about the San Francisco production or upcoming Toronto production, but I’m sure they might follow a similar model. Haven’t been able to see it yet, so I hope they change it for all the productions.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

mikey2573
#10CURSED CHILD to alter BW production
Posted: 5/6/21 at 4:28pm

I think it would work quite well as a three act play, coming in at about 3.5 hours.  Act 1 would be about 1 hr. 20 minutes, Act 2 about 1 hr. 10 min., and then Act 3 about 1 hour.  It would guarantee a much healthier Broadway after-life in regional and community theaters. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#11CURSED CHILD to alter BW production
Posted: 5/6/21 at 4:34pm

I'm sure they could trim it down even more, honestly. They don't need all those transitions in between the scenes, right? 

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#12CURSED CHILD to alter BW production
Posted: 5/6/21 at 4:44pm

The original production remains one of my favorite theatrical experiences ever so I’m sad to see this happen.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#13CURSED CHILD to alter BW production
Posted: 5/6/21 at 4:54pm

That would be awesome, but would likely cause issues with two show days, and also run into overtime issues w/the unions, etc. Isn’t trying to get it all wrapped up in well under there hours (including intermission, potential late starts, etc.) why Les Mis and Lion King shortened their run times over the years? 

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#14CURSED CHILD to alter BW production
Posted: 5/7/21 at 10:48am

jpbran said: "That would be awesome, but would likely cause issues with two show days, and also run into overtime issues w/the unions, etc. Isn’t trying to get it all wrapped up in well under there hours (including intermission, potential late starts, etc.) why Les Mis and Lion King shortened their run timesover the years?"

Cursed Child already does 7:30pm start times instead of 8pm, so if they did a 3.5 hour version, starting at 7pm wouldn't be too big a change. 

I do feel, though, that one 3.5 hour play is as tough a regional sell as 2 parts. In its current format, the show is untouchable in how it is so tightly choreographed to the millisecond. It's not a matter of cutting things, the show would have to be overhauled to flow in a tighter/shorter format. If any team can do it, it's Tiffany & Hoggett. But alas, I wish they wouldn't. 

I imagine whatever they chose to do for Broadway will be implemented in SF and Canada, so that there aren't 2 versions happening in North America. Australian shows usually only run for a year or two until the local audience dries out, so keeping it as-is makes sense. It's still a massive hit in London I believe, so maybe in 5 years when it starts to dry up there they alter it there.

I know it's good news for the longevity of the show, but as a super fan of the "original" I'll be really sad to not see that again. If anything, this past year has taught me to be unbelievably grateful I got to see it so many times.

Updated On: 5/7/21 at 10:48 AM

windowwaving
#15CURSED CHILD to alter BW production
Posted: 5/7/21 at 11:48am

BroadwayNYC2 said: "The original production remains one of my favorite theatrical experiences ever so I’m sad to see this happen."

I agree, this was my first 2 part show experience, and I was absolutely floored. It truly was magical. 

But if it takes cutting it to 1 part to save the show, I'm for it. I will just keep that magic in my memories. 

RunnyBabbit
#16CURSED CHILD to alter BW production
Posted: 5/7/21 at 12:21pm

The thing I remember most about the play is coming out of the theatre after the second show and wondering why it needed to be 2 separate plays instead of just 1 three hour show.  It felt very bloated.  Like they figured out what tricks they wanted to do and how to do them, and then added in some script to make them fit.

By the end of the second play (two show day) everyone around me seemed very antsy - especially the kids.  I had lottery tickets, so I don’t feel like I wasted money, but I would not have felt the same if I had paid full price (especially since I ended up with 3rd row orchestra, 1 seat off the center aisle).

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#17CURSED CHILD to alter BW production
Posted: 5/7/21 at 1:54pm

I'm right there with you, VotePeron. 

I have been lucky enough to see it a few times with both the Year 1 and Year 2 casts and it's just an absolutely magical theatrical experience as it is and it has been one I've thought so much about over the last year. The last time I went was in February 2020 before the shutdown and days before the Year 3 cast announcement and I was so excited to see some of the wonderful ensemble members from the original Year 1 cast being promoted to leading roles for Year 3. 

I understand why the changes are being made, but it makes me sad and grateful for those memories of how it was before. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 5/7/21 at 01:54 PM

Dollypop
#18CURSED CHILD to alter BW production
Posted: 5/7/21 at 2:53pm

mikey2573 said: "I think it would work quite well as a three act play, coming in at about 3.5 hours. Act 1 would be about 1 hr. 20 minutes, Act 2 about 1 hr. 10 min., and then Act 3 about 1 hour. It would guarantee a much healthier Broadway after-life in regional and community theaters."

Community theater productions of CURSED CHILD???? Don't even go there!!!!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#19CURSED CHILD to alter BW production
Posted: 5/7/21 at 3:55pm

I too have seen the show an ungodly amount of times and the writing was on the walls for this unfortunately. Even in the pre-pandemic world it was already rumored to be in the process of being reworked due to the declining grosses so this just seemed inevitable given how much harder it'll be to sell now.

I do think there are things that can be cut but sadly don't think it'll go the way I want. The best parts of the show are anything involving Albus and Scorpius and I'll be devastated to see any of their material shortened or cut. I expect it though because they'll most likely cater to the general public that wants to see Harry or Hermione or even Dumbledore (who could have his scenes cut entirely and take out what FEELS like 30 minutes of show).

I absolutely love the show as is, it never failed to feel special seeing a two part show, it was always an event. I hope the theatre and the world bounces back in a shocking way that might prohibit this from happening but seems very unlikely. As said above, I feel confident they'll keep the London production the same so I guess I'll have to make more trips out there (if money allows), but will miss having the full thing in my backyard here. However I guess it is better than not having it all. 

Similarly to VotePeron, I'm grateful for all the times I did get to see it. It does sadden me though that I didn't realize my last time seeing the show would be my last time seeing the year two cast and now it seems like it was also my last time seeing the show in full on Broadway. 

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#20CURSED CHILD to alter BW production
Posted: 5/7/21 at 4:25pm

LesWickedly said: "I too have seen the show an ungodly amount of times and the writing was on the walls for this unfortunately. Even in the pre-pandemic world it was already rumored to be in the process of being reworked due to the declining grosses so this just seemed inevitable given how much harder it'll be to sell now.

I do think there are things that can be cut but sadly don't think it'll go the way I want. The best parts of the show are anything involving Albus and Scorpius and I'll be devastatedto see any of their material shortened or cut. I expect it though because they'll most likelycater to the general public that wants to see Harry or Hermione or even Dumbledore (who could have his scenes cut entirely and take out what FEELSlike 30 minutes of show).

I absolutely love the show as is, it never failed to feel special seeing a two part show, it was always an event. I hope the theatre and the world bounces back in a shocking way that might prohibit this from happening but seems very unlikely. As said above, I feel confident they'll keep the London production the same so I guess I'll have to make more trips out there (if money allows), but will miss having the full thing in my backyard here. However I guess it is better than not having it all.

Similarly to VotePeron, I'm grateful for all the times I did get to see it. It does sadden me though thatI didn't realize my last time seeing the show would be my last time seeing the year two cast and now it seems like it was also my last time seeing the show in full on Broadway.
"

Agreed with all this (though I only saw it once in NYC). Might be the push I need to make my first ever trip to London. 

Fosse76
#21CURSED CHILD to alter BW production
Posted: 5/8/21 at 12:16pm

I think the best way to trim the show is essentially keep Part 1, Act 1 and Part 2, Act 2. Then some re-working to make them cohesive. The best parts of the show are Albus and Scorpius, but we would still have equal focus on adult Harry as well. It would also eliminate the non-canon aspects used to drive the play's plot and restore how a certain plot device is used in the novels (mostly).

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#22CURSED CHILD to alter BW production
Posted: 5/8/21 at 12:18pm

The show works best when we don’t get caught up in th e concept of canon. I view it as a companion piece, and it was intended to be one, though the marketing machine and IP had another idea in mind.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#23CURSED CHILD to alter BW production
Posted: 5/8/21 at 12:44pm

BroadwayNYC2 said: "The show works best when we don’t get caught up in th e concept of canon. I view it as a companion piece, and it was intended to be one, though the marketing machine and IP had another idea in mind."

Like you alluded to in your last sentence, the powers that be have done nothing but shoot themselves in the foot with the "canon" issue. At this point, JKR is less of an author and more of a Canon Custodian. She constantly spews out new "information" about the HP universe, turning her personal Twitter account into a canonical text. She has gleefully curated this culture of being hyper-focused on canonical consistency, meanwhile she's not actually that great at maintaining said consistency. 

If she intended Cursed Child to be seen as a companion piece, she wouldn't have made a point to publicly anoint it as canon.

Updated On: 5/8/21 at 12:44 PM

DrewJoseph
#24CURSED CHILD to alter BW production
Posted: 5/8/21 at 6:06pm

IF cursed child would be closing. What do you guys recon would happen to the lyric, design wise? I absolutely love the new look and auditorium and would think they would want to keep it this way? Then again, so much of Harry Potter lore has been integrated in the wallpaper and floors and such that it kinda feels weird to do that?

Id hate to see it returned to how it used to be before this show.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#25CURSED CHILD to alter BW production
Posted: 5/8/21 at 6:10pm

DrewJoseph said: "IF cursed child would be closing. What do you guys recon would happen to the lyric, design wise? I absolutely love the new look and auditorium and would think they would want to keep it this way? Then again, so much of Harry Potter lore has been integrated in the wallpaper and floors and such that it kinda feels weird to do that?
Id hate to see it returned to how it used to be before this show.
"

I don’t know what was in an Ambassador Theatre Group in the West End, but even as cavernous as the theatre would be for any show other than Cursed Child, I think a transfer of the West End revival City of Angels that closed early could work well in the space. Or would the Lyric be better suited as a house for a big blockbuster type of musical?

Videos