Waitress Casting

VintageSnarker
#125Waitress Casting
Posted: 9/22/21 at 3:44pm

rkade21 said: "For a limited run, where theoretically money isn’t the main objective (how naive of me), and the show will likely sell regardless…. I’m pretty disappointed they’re opting for a stunt casting. I heard from an insider that they did *try* to get someone who would’ve pleased a lot of theater fans, but weren’t able."

I'm a theater fan and I would be thrilled if Jennifer Nettles is cast as Jenna. The worst thing you could say is that she's a little old for the part. But just casting a celebrity doesn't make it poor casting. This feels like Reba in Annie Get Your Gun. It makes so much sense and Jennifer has displayed an apparently genuine love of musical theater. And her voice is incredible. She's not going to struggle to sing the score.

kylegfil_
#126Waitress Casting
Posted: 9/22/21 at 7:14pm

Guessing no one has heard anything remotely official, but do we know if (presumably) Nettles will be starting on 10/19?  Or do we think it likely they will have a week in between Jennas where Steph Torns goes on like they have a few times in the past?

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#127Waitress Casting
Posted: 9/22/21 at 7:25pm

It’s filming tonight.

CPannullo
#128Waitress Casting
Posted: 9/22/21 at 8:07pm

BroadwayNYC2 said: "It’s filming tonight. "

Where’d you see that? 

MattieIce2018
#129Waitress Casting
Posted: 9/22/21 at 8:13pm

CPannullo said: "BroadwayNYC2 said: "It’s filming tonight. "

Where’d you see that?
"

They were live on TikTok tonight for the opening number and there was a pre-show speech about how there were cameras in the theatre and how someone had acquired the live filming rights and he asked the audience to cheer a few times to "check mic levels"

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#130Waitress Casting
Posted: 9/22/21 at 8:26pm

Where’d you see that?"

Because I’m in the theatre :)

Updated On: 9/22/21 at 08:26 PM

Hamilfan2
#131Waitress Casting
Posted: 9/23/21 at 10:36am

It’s official! From Waitress’s Facebook: “Welcome to the diner Jennifer Nettles, Maiesha McQueen & Ashley Blanchet! Jennifer's first performance will be on October 19th! Maiesha and Ashley will be starting their shift on October 5th!”

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
BCfitasafiddle
#133Waitress Casting
Posted: 9/23/21 at 10:43am

Fabulous!! Hoping Jessie comes back in November for the final weeks to bookend this chapter of Waitress on Broadway!

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#134Waitress Casting
Posted: 9/23/21 at 10:44am

TaffyDavenport said: "Jennifer Nettles Will Join WAITRESS on Broadway as Jenna (broadwayworld.com)

10/19 - 11/24
"

INCREDIBLE casting. I doubted the rumors, but what do you know?! We know she can sing, now let's hope she can act! I'm excited.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#135Waitress Casting
Posted: 9/23/21 at 10:45am

Brilliant casting!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Paigiemo21
#136Waitress Casting
Posted: 9/23/21 at 10:54am

So everyone is going to stop complaining about Ben Platt being "too old" to play Evan now right?! lol

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#137Waitress Casting
Posted: 9/23/21 at 10:56am

I was watching the 3rd hour of Today Show and with zero warning, Nettles walked onto the set carrying a pie and was like, "Baby's coming to Broadway!" and Hoda and Jenna were like "what???" It was v cute.

It was also exciting to catch a reveal in real-time in these days of having to seek out the info you want. lol

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#138Waitress Casting
Posted: 9/23/21 at 11:09am

Color me very surprised! I never really though they'd get a star for such a short run, but that's fantastic for the show. Nettles was a fantastic Roxie - so there's that Barry and Fran connection - so I'm really happy for the team and audiences that'll get to enjoy her too.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
#139Waitress Casting
Posted: 9/23/21 at 11:12am

wish i were here2 said: "Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "Kacey Musgraves would make a really great Jenna too."

I would love to see Kacey sing What Baking Can Do.

I always wondered howJennifer Nettles would be as Jenna.
"

Guess I no longer have to wonder how Jennifer Nettles would be as Jenna! Very excited! :) 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#140Waitress Casting
Posted: 9/23/21 at 11:14am

Paigiemo21 said: "So everyone is going to stop complaining about Ben Platt being "too old" to play Evan now right?! lol"

No, lol. Theater and film are two very different mediums. 

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#141Waitress Casting
Posted: 9/23/21 at 11:17am

Sauja said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Jennifer Nettles Will Join WAITRESS on Broadway as Jenna (broadwayworld.com)

10/19 - 11/24
"

INCREDIBLE casting. I doubted the rumors, but what do you know?! We know she can sing, now let's hope she can act! I'm excited.
"

She was impeccable in the Dolly Parton films as Avie Lee Parton. The woman can act like nobody's business. Also, anyone who can sell a song emotionally with the nuance she has can most definitely act. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

hearthemsing22
#142Waitress Casting
Posted: 9/23/21 at 11:43am

Paigiemo21 said: "So everyone is going to stop complaining about Ben Platt being "too old" to play Evan now right?! lol"

I was literally just thinking that haha. 

but in all seriousness, I’m so excited for this casting!! 

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#143Waitress Casting
Posted: 9/23/21 at 11:45am

I’m so excited I took the chance and bought tickets at the box office yesterday! I’ve been say for years that Jennifer Nettles needs to play Jenna and I can’t believe I’m actually going to be able to see it!!

Now.. how is the rear mezz at the Barrymore? I’ve only been in the orchestra, but from pics it doesn’t seem too far away.

KathyNYC2
#144Waitress Casting
Posted: 9/23/21 at 11:50am

BCfitasafiddle said: "Fabulous!! Hoping Jessie comes back in November for the final weeks to bookend this chapter of Waitress on Broadway!"

Personally just NO. I sincerely hope not. It should be Stephanie for all her talent AND dedication but if they had to bring a previous Jenna back, I can think of others I would totally prefer. 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#145Waitress Casting
Posted: 9/23/21 at 11:53am

Is there anything in the script or lyrics that refers to Jenna's age? I mean irl Sara is 41 and Jennifer is 47. I'd say the slightly older will be even played up more for the surprise, but hardly a comparison to Ben.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#146Waitress Casting
Posted: 9/23/21 at 12:17pm

Yeah there's nothing here that defines her age. She's a woman in a terrible relationship. Not someone trying to play a teenager in a drama. 

dadaguza
#147Waitress Casting
Posted: 9/23/21 at 12:21pm

everythingtaboo said: "Paigiemo21 said: "So everyone is going to stop complaining about Ben Platt being "too old" to play Evan now right?! lol"

Is there anything in the script or lyrics that refers to Jenna's age? I mean irlSara is 41 and Jennifer is 47. I'd say the slightly older will be even played up more for the surprise, but hardly a comparison to Ben.
"

There's a line in It Only Takes a Taste where Pomatter says .."you remind me of a girl I once knew.. by now she's in middle age, 41.. or 42.."  Jenna reacts a bit offendedly though so she might actually be younger and assumes he thinks she looks older. 

KathyNYC2
#148Waitress Casting
Posted: 9/23/21 at 12:24pm

RippedMan said: "Yeah there's nothing here that defines her age. She's a woman in a terrible relationship. Not someone trying to play a teenager in a drama."

The only thing that defines her age is that she’s pregnant. There’s a long span of time where someone could be pregnant…but don’t think you’d want to be much older than this. 

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#149Waitress Casting
Posted: 9/23/21 at 12:52pm

VintageSnarker said: "rkade21 said: "For a limited run, where theoretically money isn’t the main objective (how naive of me), and the show will likely sell regardless…. I’m pretty disappointed they’re opting for a stunt casting. I heard from an insider that they did *try* to get someone who would’ve pleased a lot of theater fans, but weren’t able."

I'm a theater fan and I would be thrilled if Jennifer Nettles is cast as Jenna. The worst thing you could say is that she's a little old for the part. But just casting a celebrity doesn't make it poor casting. This feels like Reba in Annie Get Your Gun. It makes so much sense and Jennifer has displayed an apparently genuine love of musical theater. And her voice is incredible. She's not going to struggle to sing the score.

"

You guys are like detectives!!! So glad for Jennifer but I am seriously hoping Jessie Mueller closes out the show.

Latest Posts