pixeltracker

CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews- Page 2

CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#25CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/8/21 at 12:22pm

Alexander Lamar said: "Does Roundabout typically have merch?"

In my experience, yes. I try to get a magnet for every show I see, and of the many Roundabout musicals I've seen, the only one that didn't sell magnets (and other stuff) was The People in the Picture.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#26CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/8/21 at 5:29pm

seussical93 said: "todaytix has some greattt discounts for awesome seats for tonight if anyone is interested!! I cannot waitttt "

Thanks for the heads up! Snagged a great orchestra seat for almost 50% off.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#27CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/8/21 at 5:34pm

They had awesome merch for Kiss Me Kate!

Enjoy the show for everyone going tonight and please peep the merch stand if you can! heart

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#28CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/8/21 at 5:45pm

What are the chances this will turn up on TDF?

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#29CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/8/21 at 5:58pm

TotallyEffed said: "What are the chances this will turn up on TDF?"

Most Roundabout musicals do show up on TDF at some point. This does not have any stars in the cast and is very much a "cult" musical. Spot-checking some dates online, there's a ton of inventory in the mezz and side orch at most performances.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#30CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/8/21 at 6:18pm

If something isn't selling well, it will always end up in abundance at TDF. This has soft sales all the way through, sadly. 

BCfitasafiddle
#31CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/8/21 at 6:23pm

Enjoy, all!

carderic Profile Photo
carderic
#32CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/8/21 at 9:24pm

Anyone there? How is it??

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#33CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/8/21 at 9:31pm

Hope everyone is enjoying!!! Anyone get rush seats today? Going to try to get them tomorrow and am praying they’re not in that dreaded rear mezzanine!!!

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#34CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/8/21 at 11:40pm

I was there tonight. The show started pretty late due to a speech from Todd Haimes and surprise guest Chuck Schumer.

As for the show… I don’t know. Maybe I just didn’t connect with the score (which I admittedly don’t know very well), or maybe the cast is still finding their footing in the material, but I found it kind of a chore to sit through. The set looks cheap and it’s ugly as sin, and the tiny double turntable everything sits on makes most of the staging look way too cramped. And those costumes… The less said, the better.

Sharon D. Clarke is giving an exceptional performance, but she’s surrounded by a cast that mostly doesn’t meet her caliber (Tamika Lawrence being a wonderful exception as Dotty), and so the whole evening suffers. “Lot’s Wife” is - of course - thrilling, and you can feel the audience energy shift as soon as she’s left alone on stage to start it, but the show never rises to that height before or after.

Curious to hear other thoughts. I imagine I’ll be in the vast minority, but I was disappointed. Not going to lie.

Updated On: 10/9/21 at 11:40 PM

rg7759
#35CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/8/21 at 11:49pm

This is why I never go to the 1st show. Why would anyone knowing pay to watch a rehersal. Hopefully 2 weeks will be enough time to improve b4 I go.

In case anyone wants a blanket description of broadway currently-the elders still have no idea how to silence their phones.

pair-o-dice
#36CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/9/21 at 12:01am

I loved the original production and saw it a few times. This is a different take but certainly on track to be just as thrilling, powerful and beautiful.  I went in wanting to judge and compare, but ultimately it just made me love the show even more.  The last twenty minutes are truly brilliant with every line and "moment" hitting you like a ton of bricks. Some beautiful and poignant staging in the last moments as well.

I'd say the early standouts are Sharon (obviously), the Bus, and Dottie.  But everyone is stellar.  The kid playing Noah was perfection.  The Radio is sensational.  The moon is fabulous. Everyone is great. Sharon is a bit more sad, where Tonya was mad (if I had to try to explain it) and both takes work.  The direction is a bit more "showy" but just as powerful and at times more clear than the original.  I miss some of the more "simple" moments and felt a few of the actors were showing me as opposed to genuinely connecting, but give them a few shows under their belt.  They all have so much potential.  And it's hard to compare a first preview to the original which I saw towards the end of their run.  

I loved, in this production, the interaction between the inanimate objects and the people.  For example, In Act Two when Rose and Caroline have their confrontation the Radio and Washing Machine are pleading with Rose for Caroline to keep her job.  And, I feel like when they reference the moon she genuinely interacts and connects with them more than in the original.  Its a nice touch and I think made the abstract-ness of them more "real" and powerful.  

The set it fine - the original wasn't the most incredible set I'd ever seen either - I think this was just as serviceable as the original.  And there are some simple/cool "spectacular" moments that I don't want to ruin.

As a fan of the original, who was nervous this wouldn't live up, this production did not disappoint. Plus, it is (sadly) even more relevant today it feels. 

I'm excited to return in a few weeks to see how its grown!

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#37CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/9/21 at 12:10am

pair-o-dice said: "I loved the original production and saw it a few times. This is a different take but certainly on track to be just as thrilling, powerful and beautiful. I went in wanting to judge and compare, but ultimately it just made me love the show even more. The last twenty minutes are truly brilliant with every line and "moment" hitting you like a ton of bricks. Some beautiful and poignant staging in the last moments as well.

I'd say the early standouts are Sharon (obviously), the Bus, and Dottie. But everyone is stellar. The kid playing Noah was perfection. The Radio is sensational. The moon is fabulous. Everyone is great. Sharon is a bit more sad, where Tonya was mad (if I had to try to explain it) and both takes work. The direction is a bit more "showy" but just as powerful and at times more clear than the original. I miss some of the more "simple" moments and felt a few of the actors were showing me as opposed to genuinely connecting, but give them a few shows under their belt. They all have so much potential. And it's hard to compare a first preview to the original which I saw towards the end of their run.

I loved, in this production, the interaction between the inanimate objects and the people. For example, In Act Two when Rose and Caroline have their confrontation the Radio and Washing Machine are pleading with Rose for Caroline to keep her job. And, I feel like when they reference the moon she genuinely interacts and connects with them more than in the original. Its a nice touch and I think made the abstract-ness of them more "real" and powerful.

The set it fine - the original wasn't the most incredible set I'd ever seen either - I think this was just as serviceable as the original. And there are some simple/cool "spectacular" moments that I don't want to ruin.

As a fan of the original, who was nervous this wouldn't live up,this production did not disappoint. Plus, it is (sadly) even more relevant today it feels.

I'm excited to return in a few weeks to see how its grown!

"

This is exactly me and how I felt in a nutshell, though I only saw the original once. Can’t wait to go back and see this again in a few weeks 

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

woeisme3
#38CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/9/21 at 12:43am

I was there tonight too, and while the physical production is very… Roundabout-y (for lack of a better term) the show itself was just fantastic. I agree that Sharon was more “sad” than Tonya, more of a woman broken down by life vs one turned completely bitter.

The entire supporting cast was strong, but Tamika Lawrence was definitely my favorite, every scene she had with Caroline just worked completely

Alexander Lamar
#39CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/9/21 at 1:33am

Just getting home. I stepped into Studio 54 with the highest of expectations and was not let down at all. The entire cast is phenomenal. Salty Teardrops took my breath away (vocally of course, but I mean visually). Already purchased a ticket for tomorrow.

One thing I thought was interesting - the confederate statue that sits on the stage for the pre-set was turned around (facing aaay from us) right before Chuck Schumer came up front to speak, then was turned back around after he finished for the show to start, then about 45 seconds later when the lights went down it was removed altogether (as I’m sure they will do at every performance). It made me wonder what was happening there - did he request to have it turned around while he spoke?

Updated On: 10/9/21 at 01:33 AM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#40CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/9/21 at 1:50am

Yeah I'm sure it was for Schumer. It would not be a good photo op out of context for him to be standing near a statue with a Confederate Flag.

seussical93
#41CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/9/21 at 1:55am

I really loved it. have been a huge fan of the show/album since I was a kid, so finally seeing it live was magical. Of course it will probably get tighter in the next few weeks, but it was a beautiful night at the theatre, and the energy in the room was absolutely insane. There was a well deserved standing o after “lot’s wife.” Since I know the album so well, there were a few “option down” moments vocally that made the nerd in me sad, but most people would have no clue lol. I really enjoyed the staging for the most part, and thought that the turntable worked well in the “magical realism” vibe of the piece. A lot of small details/ symbolism moments that I enjoyed (little things like the moon crossing and exiting on the opposite side of the stage for the first time in the final sequence, probably representing the forward motion of Caroline’s arc ahhhh 😭) can’t wait to check it out again soon!!

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#42CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/9/21 at 9:23am

All of these reports have me so excited! Unfortunately we can’t make it to New York before it ends its run. Does anyone think this has a chance to extend?

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#43CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/9/21 at 9:34am

Having seen the glorious original Broadway production, nothing about this revival gets my interest. Just the costumes for The Radio are cheap and horrific - like a community theatre DREAMGIRLS production. Hearing the sets also look cheap just killed any possible interest even further. I love great performances but the canvas needs to be equally glorious. One can’t excuse the other.

This is The Radio from the original 2004 Broadway production:

CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#44CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/9/21 at 12:20pm

kp
#45CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/9/21 at 1:12pm

Brody Fosse Some of the greatest nights I have had in my 45 years of theatre going have been at shows that didn’t have enormous sets or budgets. You must miss out on so much.

Updated On: 10/9/21 at 01:12 PM

rkade21
#46CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/9/21 at 1:41pm

Was there and with far less pre-existing familiarity with the show or score than others. Which made it a little tough for me. Kushner’s non-linear story-telling and “lots going on” and sung through book just made it tough to really understand the lyrics - especially whenever the objects were singing, but even Emmie’s huge closing number I was a little lost on the story.

Still really enjoyed it, made me have to think a lot about the messages and themes, the entire cast was great… am a Cassie Levy fan and though she was perfect in her role. Something I may try to get to again before it closes after some album listens and reading up on the story.

pair-o-dice
#47CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/9/21 at 2:49pm

I had similar reservations about the physical production based on the London photos.  The physical production, on the whole, is more whimsical than the original.  I didn't find the costumes for the Radio to be "cheap" - just a little more whimsical, fun and fantastical.  By contrast, the moon's costumes were STUNNING and far more glamorous and sophisticated than the original.  Theres more humor in the costuming and their characterizations than the original.  It's just a different take on how to present these inanimate objects.  Whether you find them cheap looking or not, I don't know, but within the context of THIS production they worked for me.  

Don't judge a dish by one spice alone.  When you mix all the elements together it works.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#48CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/9/21 at 5:18pm

The original is one of my top Broadway experiences of all time. Miles ahead of the witches and the puppets

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#49CAROLINE, OR CHANGE Previews
Posted: 10/10/21 at 7:48am

The original was 2003, not 2004.