pixeltracker

A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 6

A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

Jimbo2 Profile Photo
Jimbo2
#125A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/14/22 at 10:56pm

I saw magnets, two different types of t-shirts, a very nice tote bag too. Didn't see a window card.

Just heard from John-Andrew Morrison and he will be on Saturday (i'm going back to see the matinee).

Seeing someone fresh out of college make their Broadway debut with genuine excitement and tears was special. 

"If we don't wake up and shake the nation, we'll eat the dust of the world, wondering why...why?"

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#126A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/14/22 at 11:00pm

We’re there any absences tonight or was the full cast there?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#127A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/14/22 at 11:05pm

See my previous mention. An u/s was on for Thought 4.

Oh look, a bibu!

Alessio2
#128A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/15/22 at 1:33am

I can’t quite put into words how absolutely horrible I thought this show was…I’m baffled by what I saw on stage. I had high hopes for this as I really liked the premise of the show but I hated everything about it 

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#129A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/15/22 at 4:52am

Alessio2 said: "I can’t quite put into words how absolutely horrible I thought this show was…I’m baffled by what I saw on stage. I had high hopes for this as I really liked the premise of the show but I hated everything about it"

This seems v extra tbh, but go off. 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#130A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/15/22 at 7:00am

YvanEhtNioj said: "Alessio2 said: "I can’t quite put into words how absolutely horrible I thought this show was…I’m baffled by what I saw on stage. I had high hopes for this as I really liked the premise of the show but I hated everything about it"

"

They stated their opinion... I don't get how that's "extra". You may not agree with it personally, but I would hardly call it "extra".

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#131A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/15/22 at 8:27am

The way they chose to express that opinion, to me, is very extra 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

Dylan Pellagrino
#132A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/15/22 at 9:22am

I was there last night and it was so much fun! The energy from everyone in the show is fantastic. The music is amazing, the performances are life-changing, this is an important show. Not to mention h i l a r i o u s. 

I befriended the person next to me and they were in tears by the end. I would recommend seeing this orchestra instead of mezz if possible!  

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#133A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/15/22 at 9:41am

Wayman_Wong said: "''You mean John Legend? Then yes, he got the T in his EGOT by winning a Tony as a co-producer on the 2017 Broadway production ofJitney.''

That's how Whoopi Goldberg got the Tony for her EGOT, too. Not as a performer on the Great White Way, but as a producer of ''Thoroughly Modern Millie.''
"

Jesus, I completely forgot that she was only nominated for her 20th anniversary one-woman show. Sort of how I often forget that Angela Bassett was only nominated for What’s Love Got To Do With It. 

Back on topic, very glad to hear reports from this, and thank you Dylan for suggesting the orchestra! Was going back and forth on seating options. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

Det95
#134A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/15/22 at 11:05am

I was there last night and had a terrific time. The show was hilarious and the performances were outstanding. Special shout-out to Jaquel Spivey. He was in tears by the end and it was truly special to see his reaction to making his broadway debut.

LMM was sitting right in front of me and he was having a great time as well and got a kick out of the Hamilton joke in the show. The one criticism I would have is there were some mixing issues and there were parts of the show where I couldn’t hear the cast over the orchestra, but those will be fixed as previews continue. This was my first first preview and I’m glad it was this show. I definitely would like to return once everyone settles in and the mixing issues are resolved. I second the orchestra, I was in row H and the view was perfect. Run to see this. 

OhHiii
#135A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/15/22 at 12:29pm

The whole "they shouldn't EGOT just for this or that" debate that comes from folks who more than likely don't have (and likely will never have) the E, the G, the O or the T is always so hilarious to me. EGOT isn't an actual award, it's having 4 trophies on your mantle. And co-producing a Broadway show is a perfectly fine way to win a Tony. 

Anyway...really excited to see this tomorrow!

Alessio2
#136A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/15/22 at 12:30pm

bwayphreak234 said: "YvanEhtNioj said: "Alessio2 said: "I can’t quite put into words how absolutely horrible I thought this show was…I’m baffled by what I saw on stage. I had high hopes for this as I really liked the premise of the show but I hated everything about it"

"

They stated their opinion... I don't get how that's "extra". You may not agree with it personally, but I would hardly call it "extra".
"

That’s exactly it.  Just my opinion, the only thing extra is writing not one, but two comments about what I said. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#137A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/15/22 at 12:35pm

^100%. Thanks for your review. 

SFFrontRow
#138A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/15/22 at 3:42pm

Jimbo2 said: "I’m here! I’m here! Free goodie bag. They opened early due to the rain and wind. I’m in the orchestra Row D seat 2-wave or say hello! I’m alone. Will also be here Saturday matinee."

OMG - I literally just booked Orch seat D2 for a Saturday night performance in June before I read this and also will be alone... are you my doppelganger???

So looking forward to this - a buddie in my SF gym has been listening to the music and says it is so much fun (he hasn't seen it - yet).

Jimbo2 Profile Photo
Jimbo2
#139A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/15/22 at 4:18pm

SFFrontRow said: "Jimbo2 said: "I’m here! I’m here! Free goodie bag. They opened early due to the rain and wind. I’m in the orchestra Row D seat 2-wave or say hello! I’m alone. Will also be here Saturday matinee."

OMG - I literally just booked Orch seat D2 for a Saturday night performance in June before I read this and also will be alone... are you my doppelganger???

So looking forward to this - a buddie in my SF gym has been listening to the music and says it is so much fun (he hasn't seen it - yet).
"

What's even more ironic when I go back to the matinee tomorrow I'm sitting in the same seat! Enjoy the show.

"If we don't wake up and shake the nation, we'll eat the dust of the world, wondering why...why?"

binau Profile Photo
binau
#140A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/16/22 at 7:13am

I just love that despite some (e.g. Mamet) complaining that Broadway is too commercial/touristy we continue to get shows like this. I hope the show can find an audience or at least hold on and win the Tony for Best Musical to then find an audience. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#141A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/16/22 at 7:59am

I'm so so curious to see how this plays to a Bway house. I loved it Off-Bway but also was shocked to watch it in, well, mixed company. But at least there were no tourists or people who didn't already subscribe to a company that produces solely new, challenging work!

stlrod
#142A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/16/22 at 9:00am

BJR said: "I'm so so curious to see how this plays to a Bway house. I loved it Off-Bway but also was shocked to watch it in, well, mixed company. But at least there were no tourists or people who didn't already subscribe to a company that produces solely new, challenging work!"

You are so right--only people who identify with the material, non New Yorkers and subscribers to a limited number of companies can recognize good work.  Oh well, guess I'll go see Wicked or The Music Man since I'm wicken who is allergic to water from Iowa.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#143A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/16/22 at 9:26am

stlrod said: "BJR said: "I'm so so curious to see how this plays to a Bway house. I loved it Off-Bway but also was shocked to watch it in, well, mixed company. But at least there were no tourists or people who didn't already subscribe to a company that produces solely new, challenging work!"

You are so right--only people who identify with the material, non New Yorkers and subscribers to a limited number of companies can recognize good work. Oh well, guess I'll go see Wicked or The Music Man since I'm wicken who is allergic to water from Iowa.
"

Why are people so damn miserable on here? I know it’s always been a thing here, but the last few months have been absolutely insufferable with nasty, nasty comments.

The above poster said NOTHING negative towards you or in general. Broadway is a commercial business that rarely produces challenging works. Yes, there are some tourists that will see A Strange Loop because they know what it is, but the vast majority of them will know nothing about it. What they said was valid. Pull the stick out of your hoo hoo.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#144A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/16/22 at 9:28am

Has anybody sat in the balcony for this? I vowed I'd never sit up there again after hearing rather than seeing most of Dana H, but maybe that was just the nature of that production.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#145A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/16/22 at 10:14am

It clearly feels like Best New Musical is between this and SIX.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#146A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/16/22 at 10:33am

GlindatheGood22 said: "Has anybody sat in the balcony for this? I vowed I'd never sit up there again after hearing rather than seeing most of Dana H, but maybe that was just the nature of that production."

Judging by how the set appears to be framed from what I’ve seen on IG, I’d say sitting in the balcony for this is probably not the way to go unless it’s your only option. I think you’ll run into a similar issue that you did for Dana H.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#147A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/16/22 at 10:52am

Is there anyone who saw this at Playwrights Horizons who can speak to whether or not there have been significant changes? 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#148A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/16/22 at 10:53am

Also how is the lead actor vocally compared to the original?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Jimbo2 Profile Photo
Jimbo2
#149A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/16/22 at 10:57am

Going back to the matinee today. Come say hello Row D seat 2-(I do love my aisle seats). Looking forward to seeing John-Andrew Morrison! 

I recommend orchestra seats as well.