pixeltracker

Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?- Page 8

Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#175Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 10:35am

As for whether the show can make a profit in 8-12 weeks. If there is a modest up-front budget (e.g. $6-7 million USD - not sure if that is realistic these days) with a weekly operating cost of around $800,000 USD (not sure what costs are like these days but nothing ever seems cheap) and they manage to sell every seat at the St James at close to full price they might be able to break even and make a small modest profit. The Sondheim is too small a theatre to make a profit so I can't see it going there. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#176Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 10:35am

I'm surprised people are still considering Donna Murphy as a viable Witch. I thought she had trouble singing it 10 years ago so I can't imagine she could get through it now. It'd be a shame not to have Headley if this does indeed transfer; she's presenting a take on the Witch I don't think we've really seen before. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#177Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 10:52am

For what it’s worth, the only people who I have heard are not continuing are NPH, Heather, and Denee. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

yyys
#178Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 10:58am

Headley, to me, is not a good enunciator ....I didn't understand her 100% 

I hope I am not the only one who noticed this?

TheQuibbler said: "I'm surprised people are still considering Donna Murphy as a viable Witch. I thought she had trouble singing it 10 years ago so I can't imagine she could get through it now. It'd be a shame not to have Headley if this does indeed transfer; she's presenting a take on the Witch I don't think we've really seen before."

Updated On: 5/16/22 at 10:58 AM

rattleNwoolypenguin
#179Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 10:58am

They should wait for Heather and Sara.

They are elevating this into something so new and fresh.

both of them have Tony winning performances no question.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#180Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 11:04am

bdn223 said: "I am assuming you are talking about Goldsberry,"

I could be wrong, but I think it's pretty clear from Kad's wording that this is the actor they're talking about. 

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#181Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 11:22am

If it is Goldsberry, for me that would be a let down. I don’t think she has the range vocally or otherwise to land this role. Her vocals especially in her upper range are not as strong as Heather’s- go back and watch any of the last cast of Rent on tape- she was the weak link. I know she’s done Hamilton since, but arguably others have sing the role better. Also, of Girls5Eva I find her comedy very forced. If Donna is in the running I’d prefer to see her get another crack at it. 

spicemonkey
#182Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 11:30am

TaffyDavenport said: "spicemonkey said: "Kad said: "If it’s the same Tony winner I heard about, then I think many folks here will be, let’s say, satisfied."

My guess is Donna Murphy (after reading her instagram post)

; )

"

Are people really not getting the "satisfied" reference?
"

Ok haha just saw that word  :) Renée Elise Goldsberry would be an excellent witch 

hope to get the official announcement soon, if the transfer is gonna happen 

Georgeanddot2 Profile Photo
Georgeanddot2
#183Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 11:33am

When they did that reunion concert a few years ago Bernadette could still sing the score.... just saying.

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#184Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 11:45am

Maybe we can get Donna for Tuesdays  ?

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#185Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 12:06pm

Renee Elise would be a welcomed improvement over Headley. For me, NPH was MUCH more intrinsic to that production’s success than Headley — she didn’t bring anything thrilling to the part imo

Are they trying to get Ashley Park back for Cinderella? Would be funny to have 3/5 of the Girls5Eva in this one production!!!

Who voiced the giant at Encores? Could that be Donna?

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#186Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 12:10pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Who voiced the giant at Encores? Could that be Donna?"

How did you see the production but you don’t know who voiced the giant?

Regardless, Annie Golden voiced the giant. It’s the same track as the OBC: Cinderella’s Mother, Granny, Giantess. I can’t imagine Donna taking that part on.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#187Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 12:11pm

I can’t believe I live in a world where trump won in 2016 and people are speaking negatively about Heather Headley. Both should never be allowed to happen again.  

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#188Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 12:17pm

yyys said: "Headley, to me, is not a good enunciator ....I didn't understand her 100%

I hope I am not the only one who noticed this?

Really? She was a huge stand out for me and my group, I heard every word she said clearly. Goddamn, she's perfect. 

Nolan LuPone
#189Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 12:17pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I can’t believe I live in a world where trump won in 2016 and people are speaking negatively about Heather Headley. Both should never be allowed to happen again."

Amen to that. I thought she was wonderful.

Emmeline Carter
#190Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 12:49pm

To add more praise for Heather Headley's performance as the witch, watching her perform both "Lament" and "Stay with Me" were the first times I can remember getting actual goosebumps from a performance. I will admit I was most excited to see both Neil Patrick Harris (albeit it probably more excited for Christian Borle as he's my absolute favorite) and Sara Bareilles perform, but coming out of the show the stand out performance was definitely from Heather Headley. Although if it's true that Renée Elise Goldsberry will be the new witch, I'm also super excited to see what she does with the role. 

Updated On: 5/16/22 at 12:49 PM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#191Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 12:54pm

I had trouble understanding almost everything Headley said in act 1, when she had a more understated demeanor, but I understood her much better in act 2 when the adopted a different characterization - but even then I still missed a lot of her words. 

It seemed to me that Headley's performance was deeply thought-out, and deeply-felt. You could tell that she had worked hard to get in the emotional headspace of the character, and she poured out all the tragedy and frustration into her passionate (and gorgeous) vocals. But it was a performance that felt very internal to me; like she was more interested in creating this character and bringing her to life, than she was in telling the story of Into the Woods, and maintaining a broad awareness of how she fit into the whole. Consequently, she didn't seem to be aware of when her lines contained important exposition that she had to emphasize, either for the plot or for the more emotional themes. And I also never really felt like she was connecting to her stage partners. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#192Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 1:08pm

Everything JBroadway said is how I feel about Headley. It was an intensely isolated performance that felt disjointed from the rest of the production (and I also didn't love her costumes). Vocally she was good, but a lot of other ladies have been sung that role well, too. It's not a hard role.

And thanks for whoever confirmed Annie Golden did the Giant. I don't have my playbill near me.

OhHiii
#193Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 1:14pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Everything JBroadway said is how I feel about Headley. It was an intensely isolated performance that felt disjointed from the rest of the production (and I also didn't love her costumes). Vocally she was good, but a lot of other ladies have been sung that role well, too. It's not a hard role.

And thanks for whoever confirmed Annie Golden did the Giant. I don't have my playbill near me.
"

Looking forward to hearing your rendition of Last Midnight since it's so easy vocally. 

JSquared2
#194Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 1:19pm

Georgeanddot2 said: "When they did that reunion concert a few years ago Bernadette could still sing the score.... just saying."

Do you mean "a few years back" as in 1997?  25 years is more than a few years.

https://www.ibdb.com/broadway-production/into-the-woods-13360

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#195Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 1:24pm

JSquared2 said: "Georgeanddot2 said: "When they did that reunion concert a few years ago Bernadette could still sing the score.... just saying."

Do you mean "a few years back" as in 1997? 25 years is more than a few years.

https://www.ibdb.com/broadway-production/into-the-woods-13360

I think they were talking about this reunion from 2014: 

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Segerstrom-Center-Adds-Second-INTO-THE-WOODS-Reunion-Performance-with-Stephen-Sondheim-James-Lapine-Original-Cast-20141007

"

RWPrincess
#196Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 1:25pm

Donna Murphy is also in The Gilded Age so I'd imagine she's on the same filming schedule as Denee. Though Denee's role was larger in Season 1 so maybe Donna's schedule is more flexible.

Updated On: 5/16/22 at 01:25 PM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#197Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 1:29pm

Heck, Peters has even sung “Last Midnight” in 2015!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#198Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 1:34pm

Wasn’t Donna (along with Kelli) bumped up to a series regular for season 2?