pixeltracker

Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?- Page 5

Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#100Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 8/14/22 at 7:55pm

I would assume they intend to begin performances around Halloween / spooky season. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#101Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 8/14/22 at 8:08pm

Groban recently wrapped up his Harmony tour. I hope though he does a longer run on Broadway this time around! Halloween would be perfect for this show! I might be making multiple trips to NYC in October!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#102Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 8/14/22 at 8:24pm

I am not a big Groban fan as far as his music. I do like him as a person though. However, I think he would be perfect as Sweeney and would buy a ticket as soon as they went on sale.

I would also love to see a production with the original staging. I saw the original production on Broadway and it blew me away.

Just give the world Love.

PipingHotPiccolo
#103Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 8/15/22 at 12:31am

id happily listen to him sing that score, and would cheer him on loudly given how wonderful a guy he seems to be, but

his genuine, warm, smiley demeanor strikes me as so.not.Sweeny. Is he capable of the dark wit, the gloom? Cerveris went too far with it, sure, but Groban seems to be way too much in the other direction. 

nophibbing
#104Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 8/15/22 at 2:53pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "I would assume they intend to begin performances around Halloween / spooky season."

I agree. Have a big premiere right around Halloween and have the ideally positive press roll them through the holidays and winter months. It's an expensive show so premiering going into the winter when ticket sales are always expected to be higher would be a smart move. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#105Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 8/15/22 at 3:31pm

Granted, I only saw it once almost 6 years ago, but I thought he played against type extremely well as the depressed Pierre, so I'm not quite sure why people think he won't be able to do menacing. He's an actor, so he'll act.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#106Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 8/15/22 at 4:05pm

Also, Patrick Page as Judge Turpin is another rumor out there.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#107Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 8/15/22 at 4:53pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Also, Patrick Page as Judge Turpin is another rumor out there."

Imagining him and Groban singing “Pretty Women” sounds just divine.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#108Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 8/15/22 at 4:55pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Also, Patrick Page as Judge Turpin is another rumor out there."

PERFECTION!!!!!

Oh look, a bibu!

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#109Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 8/15/22 at 5:18pm

ColorTheHours048 said: "Imagining him and Groban singing “Pretty Women” sounds just divine."

Imagining this is MIND-BLOWING....... just take all my money!!!!!

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup
Updated On: 8/15/22 at 05:18 PM

singer234
#110Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 8/15/22 at 5:22pm

I believe Renee Rapp was part of the reading, but I doubt she’ll do the Broadway production with her tv/music career where it is at the moment.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#111Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 8/15/22 at 5:42pm

Taking off the ITW model of a stacked cast of Broadway talent. Smart. 

Rainah
#112Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 8/15/22 at 6:28pm

I am here for this but also just fascinated at how playing Hades seems to have completely changed Patrick Page's typecast. Hope he likes the dark dramas vs the grinch/spider man villains! 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#113Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 8/15/22 at 6:32pm

Page would be great but I was hoping for Kudisch. 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#114Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 8/15/22 at 6:38pm

The concern voiced that Groban might not be up to the acting chores may be attributed to his persona. But anyone who saw him disappear into the morose and pudgy Pierre knows he is a sensitive and skilled artist who resists the easy fit (he turned down countless offers until Comet came along). Also, Sweeney’s poignancy is layered into his backstory: a kind man has been stripped of his family and dignity. Groban may well show us the tortured “before Sweeney” peeking through. Arguably, a trap in the role is its headlong march into revenge. Watching a decent man contemplate and then execute a monstrous plan is more compelling than witnessing the full resolution.  Also, the power is in the vocals, the score doing the heavy lifting. Who doubts that Groban will sing it passionately? Not those of us who saw him in Comet.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 8/15/22 at 06:38 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#115Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 8/15/22 at 6:43pm

Groban was utterly fantastic in Great Comet and I can’t possibly imagine the show without him. With his Pierre Bezukhov, I heard so much character through his singing (instead of just singing beautifully).

He’ll be an exceptional Sweeney. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 8/15/22 at 06:43 PM

ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure
#116Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 8/15/22 at 6:53pm

Page would be amazing

PipingHotPiccolo
#117Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 8/15/22 at 8:16pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Groban was utterly fantastic inGreat Cometand I can’t possibly imagine the show without him. With his Pierre Bezukhov, I heard so much character through his singing (instead of just singing beautifully).

"

I thought he was great in Comet, but he was repressed, forlorn, not sinister/homicidal. But hey, cant wait to see

Hamilfan2
#118Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 8/15/22 at 9:25pm

Take this with the grainiest of salts, but I heard Groban has been pushing for Eleri Ward as Johanna after just recently touring with her.  Could be interesting if true!

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#119Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 8/15/22 at 10:45pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "Groban was utterly fantastic inGreat Cometand I can’t possibly imagine the show without him. With his Pierre Bezukhov, I heard so much character through his singing (instead of just singing beautifully).

"

I thought he was great in Comet, but he was repressed, forlorn, not sinister/homicidal. But hey, cant wait to see
"

Yes - it’s called acting. 

Why would his character choices as Pierre in Great Comet disqualify him from being sinister as Sweeney? 

MysteriousLady
#120Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 8/16/22 at 12:33am

GreasedLightning said: "PipingHotPiccolo said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "Groban was utterly fantastic inGreat Cometand I can’t possibly imagine the show without him. With his Pierre Bezukhov, I heard so much character through his singing (instead of just singing beautifully).

"

"

Why would his character choices as Pierre in Great Comet disqualify him from being sinister as Sweeney?
"

By this logic James Corden would be a great Sweeney BECAUSE IT'S CALLED ACTING. 

Ever heard of range? Nothing Groban has done would lead anyone to think he'd be a good Sweeney. Doesn't mean he won't be, but that's why some are questioning this casting. 

PipingHotPiccolo
#121Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 8/16/22 at 3:27am

GreasedLightning said: "PipingHotPiccolo said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "Groban was utterly fantastic inGreat Cometand I can’t possibly imagine the show without him. With his Pierre Bezukhov, I heard so much character through his singing (instead of just singing beautifully).

"

"

"

i know reading comprehension is a challenge, so im happy to help. big Groban fan. questioned how someone as warm, charismatic, genuine-seeming, could pull off sinister, cynical, homicidal sweeney. said i was eager to see it, but seemed like a stretch. 

someone said "but what about comet?" to which i explained, yes, he was great in Comet, but his character was still genuine, sincere- just forlorn and repressed. a different haul than nailing the sardonic and black-hearted sweeney. seems like a stretch for Groban, cant wait to see it.

now that were all caught up, lets take a minute to dissect the implication of the point you think you were making: "its called acting"-- true, but by your application of that concept, all actors are equally suited for all roles. that aint it. 

SouthernCakes
#122Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 8/16/22 at 3:56am

MysteriousLady said: "GreasedLightning said: "PipingHotPiccolo said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "Groban was utterly fantastic inGreat Cometand I can’t possibly imagine the show without him. With his Pierre Bezukhov, I heard so much character through his singing (instead of just singing beautifully).

"

"

"

By this logic James Corden would be a great Sweeney BECAUSE IT'S CALLED ACTING.

Ever heard of range? Nothing Groban has done would lead anyone to think he'd be a good Sweeney. Doesn't mean he won't be, but that's why some are questioning this casting."

You’re clearly not an actor or Anyone who understands or respects the art form. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#123Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 8/16/22 at 8:24am

Do y'all get paid to be mean to strangers online, lol

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#124Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 8/16/22 at 8:52am

I agree that “it’s called acting” is an oversimplification, but I also think that the Groban-to-Sweeney leap is not nearly as large as people are making it out to be. His temperament isn’t so extreme in any one direction that he wouldn’t be able to pull off that sort of switch. By contrast, for someone like James Corden, who has carved out an persona of extreme silliness, it would be very difficult to go to the other extreme. Groban may lean toward the “warm” side, but he’s not exactly Mr. Rodgers. Going from “kind but tortured and depressed” to “unkind, tortured and vengeful” isn’t THAT big of a leap for an actor. 

And as I said in another thread, I also think everyone is too attached to this single-minded idea of who Sweeney is. @Augie27 echoes what I’ve said before, which is that Groban has the potential to present a different kind of Sweeney that ALSO makes sense with the text. And Kail is a director whose productions tend to be pretty deeply felt, so he might help Groban lean into that more tender, broken version of the character, whose trauma leads him to sinister acts.

To put it another way: Groban fits the role of Benjamin Barker perfectly. From there, all it takes is some character work, and yes, some ACTING to bring him to Sweeney.

“It’s called acting” can’t explain away every piece of miscasting; but it’s an apt response if you’re splitting hairs, and creating chasms out of cracks.

Updated On: 8/16/22 at 08:52 AM