pixeltracker

Have you ever used a clipboard to get into seeing a Broadway show?

Have you ever used a clipboard to get into seeing a Broadway show?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#1Have you ever used a clipboard to get into seeing a Broadway show?
Posted: 8/2/22 at 11:00pm

Does just carrying a clipboard actually work to deter ticket takers from perceiving you as an audience member? Thus allowing you to enter the theatre without a ticket. Or is this just a myth? There is something about people with clipboards that make it seem they have authority.

I honestly cannot stop laughing at the thought of someone doing this, it sounds like an SNL sketch.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 8/2/22 at 11:00 PM

InTheKnowEvenIfYouDontBelieve
#2Have you ever used a clipboard to get into seeing a Broadway show?
Posted: 8/2/22 at 11:29pm

I saw the Larry David play because I fake cried and said my party was inside and I was a tourist and my phone was dead!  Great night!

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#3Have you ever used a clipboard to get into seeing a Broadway show?
Posted: 8/2/22 at 11:53pm

I’ve used the “I forgot my wallet at that restaurant” 3-4 times to get into Times Square 10-15 minutes before the New Year’s ball drop.  As many know, all the crossed streets/blocks into Times Square are closed off and heavy police control so no one is allowed to cross.  I used that wallet excuse and they let me and my group in and we dashed 42nd Street to Times Square.  It always baffled me that people stood in Times Square for hours and we snuck in 10-15 minutes before the New Year’s ball drop.  

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#4Have you ever used a clipboard to get into seeing a Broadway show?
Posted: 8/3/22 at 12:29am

Does one see legitimate show/theater employees with clipboards...ever? The only people I ever see with clipboards nowadays are petitioners on the sidewalks.

I do see people with headsets and walkies at every show, but there's also some form of identification readily visible. 

But even if you did get in, where would you go? Unless you can find a vacant seat, you'll eventually be asked to leave if you just wander around the house for 2.5 hours distracting everyone or missing the show as you hide in the basement restrooms, etc.

I guess it's fun to dream?

Fosse76
#5Have you ever used a clipboard to get into seeing a Broadway show?
Posted: 8/3/22 at 1:30am

In all the years I worked FOH, I never saw anyone with a clipboard. Anyone working on the show will be directed to the stage door, where you'll have to identify yourself. And with Covid policies, you won't be able to fake your way in. 

hearthemsing22
#6Have you ever used a clipboard to get into seeing a Broadway show?
Posted: 8/3/22 at 6:58am

I think this is a myth. People working on the show are either outside with a clipboard but-as previously said-are wearing ID that’s easily visible, or in my experience from working FOH as well, they may already be in the theater, or they sneak in and sit in the back or something with a notebook at MOST. I’ve never seen a clipboard. 

JasonC3
#7Have you ever used a clipboard to get into seeing a Broadway show?
Posted: 8/3/22 at 7:39am

Takes me back to Psych 101 freshman year in college and reading about a study (from the 60s I think) which assessed the perceived authority of people carrying clipboards in work environments.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#8Have you ever used a clipboard to get into seeing a Broadway show?
Posted: 8/3/22 at 8:43am

BrodyFosse123 said: "I’ve used the “I forgot my wallet at that restaurant” 3-4 times to get into Times Square 10-15 minutes before the New Year’s ball drop. As many know, all the crossed streets/blocks into Times Square are closed off and heavy police control so no one is allowed to cross. I used that wallet excuse and they let me and my group in and we dashed 42nd Street to Times Square. It always baffled me that people stood in Times Square for hours and we snuck in 10-15 minutes before the New Year’s ball drop."

Aren't you clever. So you're one of those, "Rules are for schmucks, they don't apply to me" types. Do you also drive all the way to the end of the merge lane and then attempt to force your way over at the last minute, so you can jump ahead of everyone else?

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage
Updated On: 8/3/22 at 08:43 AM

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#9Have you ever used a clipboard to get into seeing a Broadway show?
Posted: 8/3/22 at 11:20am

So incredibly embarrassing. I rest my case.

Enjoy Palm Springs.

OhHiii
#10Have you ever used a clipboard to get into seeing a Broadway show?
Posted: 8/3/22 at 11:28am

Brody is a menace on this board, but ya'll are THIS upset about a fib about a wallet to get into an event that's....free and attended by 100,000 people? Step away from the keyboards every now and then, folks.

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#11Have you ever used a clipboard to get into seeing a Broadway show?
Posted: 8/3/22 at 12:31pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "I’ve used the “I forgot my wallet at that restaurant” 3-4 times to get into Times Square 10-15 minutes before the New Year’s ball drop. As many know, all the crossed streets/blocks into Times Square are closed off and heavy police control so no one is allowed to cross. I used that wallet excuse and they let me and my group in and we dashed 42nd Street to Times Square. It always baffled me that people stood in Times Square for hours and we snuck in 10-15 minutes before the New Year’s ball drop."

For folks like you, negative strokes are better than no strokes at all.

Non sibi sed patriae
Updated On: 8/3/22 at 12:31 PM

Nolan LuPone
#12Have you ever used a clipboard to get into seeing a Broadway show?
Posted: 8/3/22 at 1:15pm

After 16 years, we may finally see the downfall of Brody today! Hurrah!

JSquared2
#13Have you ever used a clipboard to get into seeing a Broadway show?
Posted: 8/3/22 at 1:33pm

Going slightly back on topic -- has ANYONE used a clipboard (for anything) since, say, the early 1980's?  Anyone working on a show would have a Macbook or Ipad (and the FOH staff knows everyone who works in the building anyway).  

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#14Have you ever used a clipboard to get into seeing a Broadway show?
Posted: 8/3/22 at 1:44pm

Can I just ask why this is even a question?  I'm too old to be up on all things pop culture.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#15Have you ever used a clipboard to get into seeing a Broadway show?
Posted: 8/3/22 at 1:54pm

This thread needs to be put out of its misery. It was a stupid question that should never have been asked in the first place.

Emma_Pillsbury Profile Photo
Emma_Pillsbury
#16Have you ever used a clipboard to get into seeing a Broadway show?
Posted: 8/3/22 at 2:21pm

This is a very odd question (not too mention thread).  I've never heard of this "clipboard" theory. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#17Have you ever used a clipboard to get into seeing a Broadway show?
Posted: 8/3/22 at 2:51pm

OhHiii said: "Brody is a menace on this board, but ya'll are THIS upset about a fib about a wallet to get into an event that's....free and attended by 100,000 people? Step away from the keyboards every now and then, folks."

Keyboard warriors do be keyboard warrioring

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#18Have you ever used a clipboard to get into seeing a Broadway show?
Posted: 8/3/22 at 3:39pm

Oh, sweets.  At my plus 50 years I’ve been thrown obstacles and curveballs y’all will never experience in your lifetime.  And I’m still thriving and having life adventures millions will never experience.  I don’t take anything for granted and my skin is so thick from personal strength, at this point in my life there is nothing anything or anyone can do to break me. It’s all one big joke so just enjoy it.  I laugh at my nonsense every day.  Especially at those that take my stupidity so intensely and personal.  cheeky

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#19Have you ever used a clipboard to get into seeing a Broadway show?
Posted: 8/3/22 at 3:44pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Oh, sweets. At my plus 50 years I’ve been thrown obstacles and curveballs y’all will never experience in your lifetime. And I’m still thriving and having life adventures millions will never experience. I don’t take anything for granted and my skin is so thick from personal strength, at this point in my life there is nothing anything or anyone can do to break me. It’s all one big joke so just enjoy it. I laugh at my nonsense every day. Especially at those that take my stupidity so intensely and personal. cheeky"

So you come to this website to bully and troll.  Gotcha.  

Non sibi sed patriae

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
UncleCharlie
#21Have you ever used a clipboard to get into seeing a Broadway show?
Posted: 8/4/22 at 12:32am

dramamama611 said: "Can I just ask why this is even a question? I'm too old to be up on all things pop culture."

Well.... as you may or may not know Dramamama, in professional and college football, it's traditional for the backup quarterback who is not playing in the game to be on the sidelines with his helmet off carrying a clipboard to facilitate taking notes on what's happening on the field to learn from it and prepare to be ready to go into the game if the starter is hurt or pulled out late in a lopsided game, hence the phrase "he's carrying the clipboard today" meaning he's the backup QB.

Well apparently the backup QB on one team was talking with another player on the sideline and happened to mention he loved live theater and especially musicals and had attended several shows recently and carried the clipboard with him into the theater to study his football notes during intermission to prepare for the next morning's practice and to keep his program in pristine shape and at one of the shows, the usher asked him if he worked there and he respon... uh... he resp...

You know, I have no freaking idea why this is even a question.

FosseTharp Profile Photo
FosseTharp
#22Have you ever used a clipboard to get into seeing a Broadway show?
Posted: 8/5/22 at 1:55pm

Lot666 said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "I’ve used the “I forgot my wallet at that restaurant” 3-4 times to get into Times Square 10-15 minutes before the New Year’s ball drop. As many know, all the crossed streets/blocks into Times Square are closed off and heavy police control so no one is allowed to cross. I used that wallet excuse and they let me and my group in and we dashed 42nd Street to Times Square. It always baffled me that people stood in Times Square for hours and we snuck in 10-15 minutes before the New Year’s ball drop."

Aren't you clever. So you're one of those, "Rules are for schmucks, they don't apply to me" types. Do you also drive all the way to the end of the merge lane and then attempt to force your way over at the last minute, so you can jump ahead of everyone else?
"

@Lot, not defending Brody but your example of people driving to the end of the merge lane ARE doing what is supposed to be done. All the people who merge over way too early are what causes traffic jams in the first place. You’re supposed to do what most people think are the jerks doing the proper thing…… we need to start normalizing that mentality. States like Colorado are actively training drivers to do so. 

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#23Have you ever used a clipboard to get into seeing a Broadway show?
Posted: 8/5/22 at 3:49pm

I haven't tried this, but we were at a Celebrity Golf Tournament awhile back and both of us had hats with the logos of a TV Network that we had been given as part of a tour.  Someone with the tournament yelled at us that "YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE OVER HERE, WITH THE PRESS" so we went over there instead of staying with the gallery.  I'm sure I was wearing gym shorts and an inappropriate T-Shirt for a member of the "working press" but who were we to argue?

UncleCharlie
#24Have you ever used a clipboard to get into seeing a Broadway show?
Posted: 8/5/22 at 8:01pm

Highland Guy said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "Oh, sweets. At my plus 50 years I’ve been thrown obstacles and curveballs y’all will never experience in your lifetime. And I’m still thriving and having life adventures millions will never experience. I don’t take anything for granted and my skin is so thick from personal strength, at this point in my life there is nothing anything or anyone can do to break me. It’s all one big joke so just enjoy it. I laugh at my nonsense every day. Especially at those that take my stupidity so intensely and personal. cheeky"

So you come to this website to bully and troll. Gotcha.
"

Stop spitting negative energy, dude.

LMAO.