2022 Live NBC musical?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#12022 Live NBC musical?
Posted: 8/17/22 at 2:54pm

Is NBC going to be doing another live musical this year? I forget when they announced when Annie was happening, but I’m pretty sure it was early summer 2021. So, if they were going to do another one this year it would’ve already been announced. 

Is anyone here in the know and can share if they are scrapping it this year?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 8/18/22 at 02:54 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#22022 Live NBC musical?
Posted: 8/17/22 at 3:04pm

ANNIE 2?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#32022 Live NBC musical?
Posted: 8/17/22 at 3:08pm

Jordan Catalano said: "ANNIE 2?"

Hahahahaha, absolutely not .

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Jordan Catalano
#42022 Live NBC musical?
Posted: 8/17/22 at 3:09pm

Annie 2: Taraji Warbucks 

InTheKnowEvenIfYouDontBelieve
#52022 Live NBC musical?
Posted: 8/17/22 at 3:19pm

The answer is:  sick a name as Audrey, bring back Borle and Groff, and broadcast little shop live off broadway.  But they’re too dumb to think of that

nasty_khakis
#62022 Live NBC musical?
Posted: 8/17/22 at 3:22pm

I'm shocked Addams Family hasn't happened, especially considering it's been the most licensed musical almost every year for the past decade and Universal owns it and NBC.

I think you could easily get a fairly large enough name for Gomez and Morticia, cast theatre stalwarts a la Borle (I know he's busy) and Hilty as the other parents, some teen TikTok singer as Wednesday, etc. 

It's not a great show and not my first choice but it's got great name recognition and people do the show. Heck, if anything you've given high schools/community theatres a visible template to copy in their productions since most tend to copy film version anyway. 

R. GreenFinch Profile Photo
R. GreenFinch
#72022 Live NBC musical?
Posted: 8/17/22 at 4:04pm

hate to shatter the illusion, but those "most licensed" lists are all based on how much $ the licensing houses donate...  

stoptheworld38 Profile Photo
stoptheworld38
#82022 Live NBC musical?
Posted: 8/17/22 at 5:12pm

I’m sure they won’t do it this year cause the Netflix adaptation is coming out then but I think Matilda would be great. 

you found your heart but left a part of you behind <3

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#92022 Live NBC musical?
Posted: 8/17/22 at 5:34pm

Addams Family would actually be fun and certainly provide many opportunities for fun casting possibilities.

I’m surprised they never did Joseph. Seems an obvious choice.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#102022 Live NBC musical?
Posted: 8/17/22 at 6:19pm

They're going to finally do Hair of course!

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#112022 Live NBC musical?
Posted: 8/17/22 at 11:02pm

As a tribute to ONJ, they should do the Broadway musical XANADU. 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#122022 Live NBC musical?
Posted: 8/18/22 at 12:14am

David10086 said: "As a tribute to ONJ, they should do the Broadway musical XANADU."

This would be a great idea if the musical wasn't a full on parody of the film. It would be very confusing as a TV special.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

KevinKlawitter
#132022 Live NBC musical?
Posted: 8/18/22 at 8:57am

blaxx said: "David10086 said: "As a tribute to ONJ, they should do the Broadway musical XANADU."

This would be a great idea if the musical wasn't a full on parody of the film. It would be very confusing as a TV special.
"

I'm not all that familiar with Xanadu as a film, but I saw the musical at the Chanhassen Dinner Theatre a few years back and had a really good time nonetheless.

But in terms of other live musicals I'd like to see NBC try and pull off, Oklahoma!, Guys and Dolls, or Dreamgirls could be fun.

Rentaholic2
#142022 Live NBC musical?
Posted: 8/18/22 at 9:01am

R. GreenFinch said: "hate to shatter the illusion, but those "most licensed" lists are all based on how much $ the licensing houses donate..."

Then is there any list or record of what the most licensed shows actually are?  I guess that data would have to come from the licensing houses?  Genuinely curious.

Jordan Catalano
#152022 Live NBC musical?
Posted: 8/18/22 at 9:03am

It would be ABC, not NBC but with “Cinderella” in the spotlight again it would be fun to see a new one with Brandy as the Fairy Godmother.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#162022 Live NBC musical?
Posted: 8/18/22 at 9:10am

GREASE 2!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

mikey2573
#172022 Live NBC musical?
Posted: 8/18/22 at 9:28am

It would be nice if they went back and did an old classic family show like OLIVER! or THE MUSIC MAN. 

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#182022 Live NBC musical?
Posted: 8/18/22 at 10:29am

Film this production of THE MUSIC MAN with Hugh and Sutton, just mount it on a soundstage. Pepper in another name or two for Mrs. Paroo, the Shinns, and Marcellus, and you're set. 

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

babyjunegem
#192022 Live NBC musical?
Posted: 8/18/22 at 10:46am

I propose Bye Bye Birdie with Vanessa Hudgens. JLo, make it happen. Doesn't she still have the rights? These two already have a working relationship and Ms, Hudgens has mastered the live musical format.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#202022 Live NBC musical?
Posted: 8/18/22 at 11:04am

David10086 said: "As a tribute to ONJ, they should do the Broadway musical XANADU."

ONJ’s XANADU and the Broadway musical adaption are 2 completely different interpretations.  XANADU the film was a colossal flop and the Broadway musical poked playful fun at that notion, it’s ridiculous storyline and gloriously honored and showcased the film’s glorious score which is what has kept XANADU alive for decades.  ONJ loved the Broadway production and the tongue-in-cheek approach.

I would feel the Broadway musical’s tone would be found offensive to countless ONJ fans who are unaware of the musical adaptation and it’s intentions.  My sister is a huge ONJ fan since the 1970s and has several of her albums and had no idea that there was a Broadway musical of XANADU.  She’d be one of those millions who wouldn’t “get” it.

2022 Live NBC musical?

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#212022 Live NBC musical?
Posted: 8/18/22 at 11:06am

Dreamgirls with Amber Riley, Cynthia Erivo, and Ariana DeBose
Hello, Dolly! with Bette Midler and David Hyde Pierce

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#222022 Live NBC musical?
Posted: 8/18/22 at 12:11pm

The Broadway version of Xanadu would be really fun. It's a loving send up and if advertised accordingly I think most audiences tuning in would be smart enough to get it.

Updated On: 8/18/22 at 12:11 PM

Emma_Pillsbury Profile Photo
Emma_Pillsbury
#232022 Live NBC musical?
Posted: 8/18/22 at 12:30pm

CATSNYrevival said: "The Broadway version of Xanadu would be really fun. It's a loving send up and if advertised accordingly I think most audiences tuning in would be smart enough to get it."

I agree. I'm a fan of Olivia and the original film and I completely *got* what they were doing with the material. and so did my other friends who have seen it. It's a genius take. One would have to be extremely obtuse/clueless not to get it. 

MannPhan24601
#242022 Live NBC musical?
Posted: 8/18/22 at 2:05pm

What happened to the Addams Family one with Katy Perry?

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#252022 Live NBC musical?
Posted: 8/18/22 at 2:07pm

One would have to be extremely obtuse/clueless not to get it.

Sweets, you most likely do not live in the United States.  Savvy intelligence is a minority in this country. cheeky