NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - Reviews Thread

Robbie516
#75Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 1/31/23 at 12:23pm

Complete casting will be announced tomorrow according to their Instagram 

Dolly80
#76Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 1/31/23 at 4:42pm

Pretty sure I saw Ben Davis behind Lin M Miranda in an insta story just now.

I don’t get the mask situation in these rehearsals. Lots of people (including Lin) not wearing one. Others are. It’s ridiculous at this point.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#77Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 1/31/23 at 4:48pm

Hope we get a set rendering or something.

shocktheatre
#78Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 1/31/23 at 10:26pm

I am rooting for this show bigtime. If it brings more attention to one of the most underrated movies of all time (and definitely one of my personal faves), I'm all for it.

Over on ATC there is a link of Ryan singing one of the new songs "Music, Money, Love". It (and he) are quite good. The song is catchy, and it matches up with the great songs K&E wrote for the movie. Gratifyingly, the lyrics in this new song make specific references to important dialogue in the film. As a fan, I am very happy with that.

I think that this show will be a surprise to many. I wish them all the luck in the world that goes round and round and round.

Updated On: 1/31/23 at 10:26 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#79Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/1/23 at 12:05pm

Previously announced stars Colton Ryan (Girl From The North Country, Hulu's "The Girl From Plainville" ) as Jimmy Doyle and Anna Uzele (Six, Apple TV+'s "Dear Edward" ) as Francine Evans will be joined by Clyde Alves (On The Town) as Tommy Caggiano, John Clay III (Choir Boy) as Jesse WebbJanet Dacal (In The Heights) as Sofia Diaz, Ben Davis (Dear Evan Hansen) as Gordon Kendrick, Oliver Prose as Alex Mann (Broadway Debut), Angel Sigala (Broadway Debut) as Mateo Diaz, and Tony Award nominee Emily Skinner (Side Show) as Madame Veltri.

The ensemble includes Wendi BergaminiAllison BlackwellGiovanni BonaventuraJim Borstelmann, Lauren Carr, Mike Cefalo, Bryan J. Cortés, Kristine CovilloGabriella EnriquezHaley FishAshley Blair Fitzgerald, Richard GattaStephen HannaNaomi KakukAkina KitazawaIan LibertoKevin LigonLeo Moctezuma, Aaron Nicholas Patterson, Dayna Marie QuincyJulian RamosDrew RedingtonBenjamin RiveraVanessa SearsDavis WayneJeff Williams, and Darius Wright.

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 2/1/23 at 12:05 PM

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#80Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/1/23 at 12:09pm

I am seriosuly thinking about seeing this over Dancin but I am not quite sure yet. I am like 50/50 on this. The songs I heard from this musical sound great! Plus, I really wanna see Anna Uzele in a big starring role on Broadway!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#81Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/1/23 at 12:11pm

NEW YORK, NEW YORK will feature scenic design by Tony Award winner Beowulf Boritt (POTUS), costume design by Emmy Award winner Donna Zakowska ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" ), lighting design by Tony Award winner Ken Billington (The Scottsboro Boys), sound design by Tony Award winner Kai Harada (The Band's Visit), projection design by Christopher Ash (Network) and Beowulf Boritt, hair & wig design by Emmy Award winner Sabana Majeed ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" ), music supervision and arrangements by Sam Davis (Company), orchestrations by Tony Award winner Daryl Waters (Memphis) and Sam Davis, vocal arrangements by David Loud (The Visit), music direction by Alvin Hough, Jr. (Tina - The Tina Turner Musical), casting by Jim Carnahan, CSA and Jason Thinger, CSA, and production stage management by Johnny Milani.

A new trailer was also just released:

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 2/1/23 at 12:11 PM

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#82Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/1/23 at 12:17pm

Not gonna lie, not much excited me hear. But, Anna's New York, New York sounds fantastic! Can't wait to hear it live!

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#83Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/1/23 at 12:34pm

The music team excites me. I bet it’s going to sound great. I’m especially interested to hear David Loud’s vocal arrangements, and this seems like it will also have a large orchestra. I hope this beats the odds. I’d love to see a true hit this season.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#84Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/1/23 at 12:36pm

jkcohen626 said: "Not gonna lie, not much excited me hear. But, Anna's New York, New York sounds fantastic! Can't wait to hear it live!"

Honestly it makes me miss the "it" factor Liza has in her version.  I guess you can't compare.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#85Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/1/23 at 12:59pm

It will have an orchestra of 19, per the NYTimes!

With a character name like Madame Veltri, should we expect Emily Skinner to CHEW SOME SCENERY?! (said with delight)

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#86Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/1/23 at 1:06pm

Kind of looks like they spent half their production budget on that commercial.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#87Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/1/23 at 1:16pm

That commercial has BANDSTAND energy, though with better music.

It is so overly digitized and rapid, dizzying cuts that would make directors like Fosse turn over in their graves.

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#88Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/1/23 at 1:16pm

I’m guessing Skinner is not continuing with Once Upon a One More Time based on this announcement. 

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#89Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/1/23 at 1:39pm

Still really curious to know what kind of tone the show is going to have. I'll be bummed if they strip away all the tension and just turn it into a generic showbiz will-they won't-they. The stylistic clash between the nightmarish abusive relationship and the cloying artificiality is the whole point of the movie!

shocktheatre
#90Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/1/23 at 1:44pm

It will ALWAYS be Liza's song. It was written for her.

But thank you Frank for mangling it.

The video is very exciting. And Uzele and Ryan look and sound sizzling.

I think this will be the hit of the season. If they're going with a full orchestra, they think they have something. 

JSquared2
#91Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/1/23 at 1:52pm

Hopefully Jim Borstelmann will reprise his "Hot Dog Guy" role from BULLETS OVER BROADWAY!

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#92Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/1/23 at 2:10pm

Phillytheatreguy10 said: "I’m guessing Skinner is not continuing with Once Upon a One More Time based on this announcement."

That's fair to say, since rehearsal for that would begin around April 1, and NYNY opens April 26/previews March 24.

Did she have much of a part in the DC version of ONCE UPON?

WestEndGal
#93Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/1/23 at 2:29pm

This is giving me big budget Bandstand feels! Unless they blew it all on this promo, looks like they’ve got a big marketing budget! 

I just wish Colton had a stronger voice -  just very meh to me. 

shocktheatre
#94Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/1/23 at 2:32pm

I hope the creatives are aware of how much of a cult exists for the film. I've seen it over 100 times. I love its defiance (which doomed it at the box office), the look of it, ALL the music, the in-your-face DeNiro, and of course, the sublime Liza Minnelli.

So far, I'm psyched. A big hint for me was the continued use of "major chord" in the new song Music, Money, Love.

bholtzinger544
#95Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/1/23 at 3:00pm

Beowulf Boritt posted some photos from the first day rehearsal, including a look at one of the set models. 

Beowulf Boritt Instagram Post First Day of NYNY Rehearsal

pablitonizer
#96Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/1/23 at 3:44pm

Phillytheatreguy10 said: "I’m guessing Skinner is not continuing with Once Upon a One More Time based on this announcement."

She left Once Upon... to join New York, New York.  Mimi Cardulla and Raymond Lee were let go from Once Upon... but they're both working on other productions now

pablitonizer
#97Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/1/23 at 3:47pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Phillytheatreguy10 said: "I’m guessing Skinner is not continuing with Once Upon a One More Time based on this announcement."

That's fair to say, since rehearsal for that would begin around April 1, and NYNY opens April 26/previews March 24.

Did she have much of a part in the DC version of ONCE UPON?
"

Yes, she played the stepmother and she was a key role and one of the highlights of the musical imo. As far as I know there's a new actress playing that role that will be announced in March. However, Emily will be missed!

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#98Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/1/23 at 4:04pm

This show screams to me a love letter to New York, a la the love letter to Los Angeles that was the film La La Land. 

A spectacle, some few gems of songs, satisfying, quite enjoyable, but ultimately not as special as made out. 

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#99Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
Posted: 2/1/23 at 4:48pm

Colton Ryan is just not doing it for me in the lead. He has no sex appeal, no sizzle  as a lead in this. Clyde Alves, on the other hand, would be great (IMO). And Janet Dacal would make a lovely Francine opposite him.