pixeltracker

Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy- Page 2

Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#25Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 10:44am

Interestingly, Nicole is actually a year older than Patti was when she played Norma. 

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#26Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 10:51am

Maybe Nicole will get some dance breaks in some of the numbers, just like in "SongBird" :)

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

binau Profile Photo
binau
#27Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 10:55am

TaffyDavenport said: "Interestingly, Nicole is actually a year older than Patti was when she played Norma."

Patti’s youthfulness was a key criticism in Frank Rich’s NYtimes review. And Nicole isn’t just relatively younger she is hot too (sorry Patti) so it goes completely against type - cf. say Staunton type casting would be the more obvious choice. 

I’m really wondering how the scenes will read for example when Norma is a bit of a predator. Glenn Close, as much as I was also disappointed in THAT casting because of her voice, really nailed the acting of those scenes so well. 

In any case, I’m not precious enough over the material to really be bothered. I do kind of enjoy these moments though where we wait eagerly to see how non-typical casting goes as it it’s always most exciting when it all seems to click and we get it (eg Ashford in Sweeney). 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Ke3
#28Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 10:59am

I think the only way to become a better actor is to act and Jamie Lloyd is the kind of director that can help you expand as a performer since the acting seems to be his focus more than any other aspect. So for Nicole at least, this is a win. As for his fascination with her she's an incredibly attractive young woman with a soprano voice. Andrew's kryptonite.

I did giggle when someone on theatreboard said Jamie Lloyd meant she'd be stepping out of a chair instead of descending a staircase.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#29Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 11:09am

I think there is a way to approach this that can emphasize how even Norma still being relatively young and beautiful, she is discarded by the system. Does the actual text support that? I don’t really think so, but it’s not exactly a masterpiece. Willing to seeing someone crack it open. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#30Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 11:11am

I honestly don't know how I feel about this. I wish this was running this summer while I am in London. I admire Jamie Lloyd and his directorial interpretations, but I just cannot see this as a bare-stage show (if that's where he's going with this). Also, I really wished they recruited SJB to make her long-awaited West End debut. Who knows, maybe we will get her if it transfers to NYC. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#31Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 11:40am

I could see this being more of Norma being a faded Hollywood star, not a "silent film star"

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

jimmycurry01
#32Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 11:52am

Nicole is certainly beautiful, but I don't think she reads any younger than she is. A Norma between 45 and 50 feels right on target (and is on target based on the libretto), especially considering many female actors were, and continue to be, seen as past their prime in Hollywood by the time they reach their mid to late forties; add to that the fact that Norma is meant to be a silent film star that failed to make the transition into talkies like so many others at the time- there is no reason to think that Nicole, in her mid-forties, can't play the role based on her age. She'll be around a year older than Patti when she opened the show in London and about two years younger than Close when she opened in LA. Looking the part won't be the problem. Whether or not she can act the role remains to be seen; it is certainly a bigger challenge than Grizabella.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#33Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 11:56am

If Nicole is actively taking roles previously performed by Betty Buckley, maybe we’ll get her in “Carrie” soon. 

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#34Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 11:56am

What's bizarre to me is that this is a role without any dancing. And Scherzinger's dancing is sublime!

I'm hoping that her acting rises to the occasion. I wouldnt say she's bad by any means, but what I've seen of her previously doesnt really go to far past the surface. If someone can at least get her to reign in her pop sensibilities with the vocals, then this could be very interesting (Her riffs and belts in Annie Live held "We Got Annie" back from being true perfection. Her dancing and intention was wonderful, but she sang so much of it like a pop song. She has the pipes to sing with the best of them, she just needs to not push so hard when in a musical in order to fit the style).

Lloyd for this...I just hope he's gotten his minimalism out of his system and is ready for something grand. Not interested in seeing this show done with just two chairs. Even the Glenn revival had a partial set and the grandeur or the full orchestra on stage. The show calls for SOMETHING beyond just a bare stage 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#35Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 12:12pm

I think the point of Norma is narcissism and mental illness in the face of Hollywood’s obsession with youth. At least these are what I expect Jamie Lloyd will focus the production on. Nobody in the script- except perhaps Norma herself- calls her unattractive or an old hag. I suspect it will be a minimalistic production and though the text won’t change, Lloyd will use his stripped down approach to comment on our current youth obsessed culture- if this Norma recalls/ resembles a Kim Kardashian or well, a Nicole  Scherzinger, it will be intentional. 

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

verywellthensigh
#36Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 12:17pm

"I'm still big...it's the T&A gyrating that got small."

In all seriousness, though, I think the dirty little secret about playing Norma is that it really isn't that rangy of a role, emotion-wise.  When I saw SB it was with Petulia Clark--never anyone's idea of a Great Actress--she knocked it clean out of the park. 

Updated On: 5/19/23 at 12:17 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#37Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 12:52pm

I would love Jamie Lloyd to do a hyper abstract version set in modern times where the vibe is more faded Hollywood actress and also the entire show is cut to 90 minutes (I’m 100% serious I think it could improve on the material. Some of my favourite ALW songs ever but there is too much filler). 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#38Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 1:08pm

For a 16 week run, you're not getting grand.
This is why Lloyd is directing. 
When Hog-eye turns that spotlight, he won't have trouble finding her.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#39Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 2:01pm

I just hope they use the full orchestrations.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#40Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 2:09pm

I have to be in Ireland end of September I think I might head to London for a few days after to see this. I'm very curious to see how this will be staged.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.
Updated On: 5/19/23 at 02:09 PM

Ke3
#41Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 2:50pm

I have to say, as a pop music fan, there is something of Norma Desmond in Nicole's career. She spent years after PCD ended trying to carve out a solo career that went nowhere. She's spent close to a decade on the periphery of stardom. It's kind of sadder than Norma, to be honest. Enough people remember Nicole, enough people know how talented she is, people have just never cared enough to make her a solo pop star which is what she's always wanted to be. So despite being an younger woman with decades of a career ahead, I think she understands certain aspects of the character better than people think.

BETTY22
#42Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 2:52pm

I think I have to book a flight to the UK.

I stripped down Sunset sounds thrilling. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#43Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 2:57pm

Ke3 said: "I have to say, as a pop music fan, there is something of Norma Desmond in Nicole's career. She spent years after PCD ended trying to carve out a solo career that went nowhere. She's spent close to a decade on the periphery of stardom. It's kind of sadder than Norma, to be honest. Enough people remember Nicole, enough people know how talented she is, people have just never cared enough to make her a solo pop star which is what she's always wanted to be. So despite being a younger woman with decades of a career ahead, I think she understands certain aspects of the character better than people think."

I’m sure she’d love to hear her career has been “sadder” than Norma Desmond’s. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#44Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 3:03pm

I agree Ke3. And everything on Nicole's IG seems desperate to project beauty, sexuality and agelessness.  She should have no trouble tapping into Norma's obsessions. "Nothing wrong with being 40, unless you're acting 20" is something I imagine she has heard before.

Updated On: 5/19/23 at 03:03 PM

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#45Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 3:05pm

Double Post

Updated On: 5/19/23 at 03:05 PM

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#46Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 3:05pm

There’s been half a dozen productions of Sunset that were ‘stripped/scaled down’ and as a huge fan of the show, it’s not interesting or new. I hope there is something exciting being done outside of Nicole - I’m very interested in seeing her Norma, but give me something other than the leading woman. 

For years I’ve thought that the show could use some big cuts (my ideas were mainly the ensemble scenes/numbers outside of the main 4) but I recently went through the score and realized you can’t really cut much. You could trim some bits down but it mostly is all necessary to the plot. You can’t cut Artie because it diminishes Betty’s stakes, can’t really cut the somewhat dull ensemble numbers because they keep you grounded in the reality Joe is in outside the mansion, etc. Interested to hear what your cuts would be, binau!

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#47Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 4:03pm

They’ll need to get a really young Joe to balance out and provide some drama to his embarrassment and implied revulsion at being “kept” by an older woman. Does Jacob Tremblay sing? (MOSTLY kidding.)

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#48Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 4:18pm

I think she could be great. 

And they hired Lloyd for a reason. We will be getting a turntable and minimal sets. They’re trying to turn a profit. Sad. But I’ll hold judgement until it opens. It could be striking. 

JSquared2
#49Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 4:34pm

RippedMan said:  

And they hired Lloyd for a reason. We will be getting a turntable and minimal sets. They’re trying to turn a profit. Sad. 

Wait...you mean (shudder) a commercial theatre producer wants to (gulp) turn a PROFIT?

Someone please fetch me my smelling salts as I faint ...

Videos