New Hadestown Casting

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#150New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 11/30/23 at 12:16am

QueenTwinnied said: "Luminaire2 said: "Hearing he was out tonight.

can anyone confirm?
"

And it turns out he's actually ill. What a rotten ghoul you are
"

Certainly not trying to be. I genuinely wish him a speedy recovery. He’s a talented person, and sounds amazing in the role. 

Updated On: 11/30/23 at 12:16 AM

A Theatre Fan 2023
#151New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 11/30/23 at 4:40am

People are absolutely entitled to comment on his ability to handle an eight-show week. 

I think the question needs to be asked why he keeps getting these plum roles, when there's definitely a question as to whether he has Broadway stamina. 

Evan Hansen is a tough role. I was fortunate to see him play it and thought he was well cast, and I could understand how it would be challenging for a lot of performers to do that role even six times a week, so I cut him some slack there. But how many months was it before he quit ST, in which he played a pretty undemanding role? I couldn't believe it when I turned up to see ST in September and found out he'd already bailed out of a show that had been running for six months. I think that's an extremely poor effort. 

And now, he's been in the role of Orpheus for ... one week? And ALREADY he's missing shows? Not a good sign. I hope the producers have a good contingency up their sleeves. Criticise Reeve all you want, but his commitment to his roles is undeniable, and his attendance record in Hadestown was incredibly impressive. 

Out of curiosity, how has Solea's attendance been? I was looking forward to seeing her exactly one week into her run (Tuesday, 12 September), and was incredibly disappointed when I turned up to find out she was off that night. It was one week in, and the first show after the weekend! 

Updated On: 11/30/23 at 04:40 AM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#152New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 11/30/23 at 9:18am

Solea sustained an injury early in her run and had to miss a few performances to properly recuperate. Other than that, her attendance has been solid.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

KevinKlawitter
#153New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 11/30/23 at 9:27am

And now, he's been in the role of Orpheus for ... one week? And ALREADY he's missing shows? Not a good sign. I hope the producers have a good contingency up their sleeves. Criticise Reeve all you want, but his commitment to his roles is undeniable, and his attendance record in Hadestown was incredibly impressive.

I don't know why this needs to be repeated, but it's not Jordan Fisher's fault he caught the flu one week into his run as Orpheus. Reeve also would have missed performances if he caught the flu.

JSquared2
#154New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 11/30/23 at 9:52am

hearthemsing22 said: "Luminaire2 said: "MatthewS1 said: "Luminaire2 said: "So I said to friends, one week.

Sound like I was right, hearing he was out tonight.

can anyone confirm?
"

According to a Twitter reply to a fan from his Twitter account, Jordan has the flu.

"

certainly unfortunate timing, as of course no one wants to get sick, and add the extra layer of you just started in a show, and are already facing the attendance narrative. I am sure he is stressed.

I hope he gets better soon, and can get back quickly.
"

How dare he not be able to control his immune system! How dare he not want to spread his germs! Like chill people. Calm down and leave him alone
"

This topic appears to be very "triggering" for you.  Maybe it's best you bow out??

hearthemsing22
#155New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 11/30/23 at 3:31pm

FranklinDickson2018 said: "hearthemsing22 said: "I would love to see any of you do a Broadway contract without calling out."

Whatever you do please don't ask that question of an Ethel Merman or Mary Martin or scores of others who did not call out throughout their long careers. Different era I know but still. ...
"

Different era. Different shows. Different roles. Different people. Different time where everyone didn't want to pick apart every single thing performers do and understood performers are not robots. There were people tearing them to shreds and not being kind. People take pleasure in being rude. Maybe I'm just too nice. Who knows. 

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#156New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 11/30/23 at 4:01pm

This board will never cease to amaze me.

People are allowed to discuss attendance pertinent to a show discussed on this board.

Please stop micromanaging strangers on a public discussion board.

If you don't like talking to people, either get off the board or go on a block spree. But that may make it difficult to browse the site... That's a lot of blocking... 

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

hearthemsing22
#157New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 12/1/23 at 3:29pm

Yeah it never ceases to amaze me how cowards use this site to criticize everything, act so holier than thou and superior and never actually treat people with respect. No way am I perfect but at least I acknowledge when I do something wrong 

kurtal
#158New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 12/13/23 at 12:34am

I saw Hadestown tonight for the first time in a while.  And, by and large, I really enjoyed this cast.  Lillias is, of course, spectacular.  Phillip Boykin is phenomenal.  And I was very pleasantly surprised by Jordan's Orpheus.  His performance was grounded and intentional, and I was drawn into his song for Hades in Act Two *way* more than I ever was with Reeve.  Solea's vocals were great, and her acting was full of choices, most of which I enjoyed.  She's a much scrappier street-smarter Eurydice than Eva's, and she looked like she's seconds away from kicking Orpheus's butt at any point.  Which made for a delightful chemistry between them.  So, if you've been holding out, head on out to the Walter Kerr.  The show's in good hands at the moment.

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#159New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 12/13/23 at 8:48am

Thank you for the review, glad to hear the cast is doing good work. How was Betty Who?

hearthemsing22
#160New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 12/13/23 at 10:16am

kurtal said: "I saw Hadestown tonight for the first time in a while. And, by and large, I really enjoyed this cast. Lillias is, of course, spectacular. Phillip Boykin is phenomenal. And I was very pleasantly surprised by Jordan's Orpheus. His performance was grounded and intentional, and I was drawn into his song for Hades in Act Two *way* more than I ever was with Reeve. Solea's vocals were great, and her acting was full of choices, most of which I enjoyed. She's a much scrappier street-smarter Eurydice than Eva's, and she looked like she's seconds away from kicking Orpheus's butt at any point. Which made for a delightful chemistry between them. So, if you've been holding out, head on out to the Walter Kerr. The show's in good hands at the moment."

I got the chance to see Lillias a few months ago and I loved her!! Just a wonderful Hermes. I think it was announced a while ago that she extended and I am so glad. The role is in great hands

kurtal
#161New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 12/13/23 at 4:10pm

HenryTDobson said: "Thank you for the review, glad to hear the cast is doing good work. How was Betty Who?"

In my opinion, just okay.  Her vocals were fine, but her physicality was...weird?  She just didn't look comfortable onstage, imo.  It's like I could see her counting out the blocking in her head as she moved.  It just wasn't organic.  That said, it's a perfectly serviceable performance and shouldn't dissuade anyone from seeing the great work that's being done by the rest of the principals.  

Heads up that Lillias is out the rest of this week, according to a friend who ushers at the Kerr.

chrishuyen
#162New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 12/14/23 at 1:35pm

I saw it on Sunday and thought the new cast was all around in great shape (Lilias was out with a new cast member playing the role of Hermes--I don't have the slip in front of me unfortunately so I don't remember who).  Jordan Fisher is very enjoyable as Orpheus and feels more inspirational with the Epics to me, and his Is It True was also a big highlight.  He also feels a bit more vulnerable and uncertain rather than oblivious and awkward, which works better for me. I had seen Solea early in her run and while she was great then, she seems to be more settled into the role and adds a few more character touches, generally working well with Jordan Fisher's Orpheus. 

I really liked Philip Boykin, as he brought a little more gravitas than Tom Hewitt, but wasn't afraid to play with the vocal lines, which I thought was to great effect.  I really didn't mind Betty Who, thought her voice was fairly good on the songs (though I didn't like some of her choices for the spoken parts), and her physicality seemed to be leaning more into the drunken aspect of Persephone (I didn't really think it looked like she was having issue with the blocking at all).  She doesn't match the wired energy that Amber Gray had, but I think there's something more raw in both her anger and vulnerability.

All round, a fantastic cast that really works well together.  It's not the same as the original cast of course, and they each bring a different energy, but I almost feel like the story is clearer for it (though I've also seen it many more times now) and Orpheus and Eurydice feel more like the main characters now (whereas before it felt like Hades and Persephone kind of stole the show).

Ptero2
#163New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 12/14/23 at 10:30pm

So many understudies on tonight - Malcolm Armwood as Hermes, Alex Lugo as Eurydice, Tara Jackson as a Fate, and Eddie Noel Rodriguez getting a surprise chance to go on for his Broadway debut as Hades - just a day after going on as Hermes!

Loved seeing this cast. Jordan in particular KILLED IT, and the show still feels very fresh and full of energy. Can't wait to go back to try and finally catch Solea :)

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#164New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 1/9/24 at 9:29am

Lola Tung, star of Amazon's The Summer I Turned Pretty, joins the cast as Eurydice from February 9 through March 17:

https://ew.com/summer-i-turned-pretty-star-lola-tung-joins-hadestown-broadway-8423922

Coincidentally, this will be the second time Lola succeeds Solea Pfeiffer in a role, as she also played Penny Lane in the recent Almost Famous workshops.

Updated On: 1/9/24 at 09:29 AM

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#165New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 1/9/24 at 9:39am

I have no idea who Lola Tung is (I’m not the demographic for The Summer I Turned Pretty), but is she really so famous that it’s worth having her pop in for a 6-week run? Seems like such a waste of resources rehearsing someone who’s theoretically a replacement while they wait for their next big name casting to become available in March.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#166New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 1/9/24 at 9:44am

Curious who will be replacing Lillias next month as Hermes?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ElephantLoveMedley
#167New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 1/9/24 at 10:04am

ColorTheHours048 said: "I have no idea who Lola Tung is (I’m not the demographic for The Summer I Turned Pretty), but is she really so famous that it’s worth having her pop in for a 6-week run?"

Not that this at all correlates to ticket sales, but worth pointing out that Lola has 4 million followers on Instagram. The Summer I Turned Pretty is also the show that made Christopher Briney a name, and Tina Fey is on record saying that she selected him to play Aaron Samuels in the Mean Girls movie after conducting independent surveys of teens and finding that they unanimously wanted him in the role. These are probably the first tests of seeing if Gen Z turns out as an audience for its fans.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#168New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 1/9/24 at 10:52am

Legit don’t know the 2 names you’ve mentioned and I’m pretty plugged into pop culture. But I guess we will see!

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#169New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 1/9/24 at 11:06am

I watch The Summer I Turned Pretty, so when I showed up at the Almost Famous workshop and saw that she was in it, I was pretty stoked. I really like her acting, and she has a lovely singing voice.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#170New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 1/9/24 at 11:34am

ACL2006 said: "Curious who will be replacing Lillias next month as Hermes?"

It was supposed to be Chris Sullivan (OG Hermes, “This Is Us”), but that got torpedoed after the SAG and Writer’s Strikes ended.

I’m supposed to see the show tonight but Betty Who is going to be out and I’m super bummed

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

MimiChika
#171New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 1/9/24 at 11:40am

Word on the street is that Whoopi Goldberg is the next Hermes. Announcement soon. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#172New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 1/9/24 at 11:51am

The Penny Lane to Eurydice pipeline continues!

Oh look, a bibu!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#173New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 1/9/24 at 11:58am

MimiChika said: "Word on the street is that Whoopi Goldberg is the next Hermes. Announcement soon."

Absolutely not. There's no way Whoopi can handle this role. She couldn't even do Xanadu 8 times a week.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#174New Hadestown Casting
Posted: 1/9/24 at 11:59am

I pray that Solea is leaving to lead Gun & Powder to Broadway.