News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

SUNSET BLVD. to transfer to Broadway- Page 3

SUNSET BLVD. to transfer to Broadway

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#50SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/4/24 at 9:30pm

It’ll most likely be Rachel. 

Oh look, a bibu!

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#51SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/4/24 at 9:34pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "It’ll most likely be Rachel."

I hope so. I just assumed they would've announced her along with the other returning principals.

Seb28 Profile Photo
Seb28
#52SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/5/24 at 9:44am

Will the laptops, the cardboard-cut out of Andrew Lloyd Webber, the MC Hammer jokes, personal actor related jokes and the twerking transfer too? Or will they create new ways to break the 4th wall and apologize for the material?

Updated On: 1/5/24 at 09:44 AM

WestEndGal
#53SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/5/24 at 11:30am

spicemonkey said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Grace is doing “Hadestown” in London starring next month, so that means this “Sunset” most probably won’t be until late summer/Fall.

And I reeeally want Laura Benanti as Tuesday Night Norma.
"

Then they have to cast a standby for the Tuesday nights LOL
"

lol - savage but accurate! 

TBFL Profile Photo
TBFL
#54SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/5/24 at 6:09pm

Fosse76 said: "Eddie3 said: "Also worth reminding everyone that it's no doubt going to be a very expensive ticket, and so particularly important to convey that there are a lot of non-gushing opinions, from those of us who have seen it already.

I don't see the public rushing out to see this, only the theater queens on this board. This will certainly have discounts.

That was far from the case in London, it was a hot ticket and sold every ticket in its last few weeks. No discounts to be found, apart from the usual lotteries.

"

"

TBFL Profile Photo
TBFL
#55SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/5/24 at 6:19pm

Rachel Tucker isn't playing it like Nicole is from the reports I've seen. On paper, I wouldn't have thought Rachel could play the same role as Nicole, but by all accounts she works too. SJB could surprise. And she'd surely sing it at the level Nicole is. Jessica Vosk could be an alternate choice."

I saw Rachel's last performance in Sunset and I was surprised at how similar the performances actually were. Like you, I was expecting something different. Lots of the same hand gestures, the same dance/movements, even the rolling across the floor that I never expected Rachel to do. She was very confident in her character, but it just didn't feel as natural as when Nicole plays it - not surprising since it was made around her.

jackkelly2024
#56SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/5/24 at 8:14pm

Cannot help but wonder if this is going into the St. James in the fall (and not the Majestic as rumored), if Phantom lite will reopen the Majestic and we'll have two ALW shows across 44th from one another. Anyone hear anything about why this isn't going into the Majestic?

Updated On: 1/5/24 at 08:14 PM

Phillyguy
#57SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/5/24 at 8:29pm

It was one of the most thrilling musicals I've seen. So happy that it's coming to Broadway, but I don't even want to think about how expensive the tickets will be. Glad I saw the Cabaret in London because I'm priced out of it here. Same may be happening here. I was able to get amazing orchestra seats for ~ $100 during the Charismas week. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#58SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/5/24 at 8:35pm

jackkelly2024 said: "Cannot help but wonder if this is going into the St. James in the fall (and not the Majestic as rumored), if Phantom lite will reopen the Majestic and we'll have two ALW shows across 44th from one another. Anyone hear anything about why this isn't going into the Majestic?"

The show is produced by ATG, which now also owns Jujamcyn, so it makes sense that it would go into one of their own houses, and, actually, the St. James was mentioned on this board way before anyone brought up the Majestic.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#59SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/5/24 at 8:58pm

TaffyDavenport said: "jackkelly2024 said: "Cannot help but wonder if this is going into the St. James in the fall (and not the Majestic as rumored), if Phantom lite will reopen the Majestic and we'll have two ALW shows across 44th from one another. Anyone hear anything about why this isn't going into the Majestic?"

The show is produced by ATG, which now also owns Jujamcyn, so it makes sense that it would go into one of their own houses, and, actually, the St. James was mentioned on this board way before anyone brought up the Majestic.
"

I'd go as far as to say tentatively the St. James because of the ATG connection, which is actually kind of a shame. This really doesn't need a theatre that big and I don't know if it'll be able to sell one. It would work much better in just about any of the other ATG/Jujamcyn theatres and it sucks they all seem locked up with long-runners. Maybe the Hudson or Kerr if those shows close, but would that be TOO small? The one upside might be some less expensive tickets or easier rush and lottery. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#60SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/5/24 at 9:27pm

I’d think it would depend on the orchestra. If they do a big full orchestra they’ll need the pit and the bigger theater. 

FranklinDickson2018
#61SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/5/24 at 11:26pm

Then they have to cast a standby for the Tuesday nights LOL"

"

No.   Just savage.   Can you please give Benanti a break?  Her health problems dating back to Into the Woods are well documented, and they include a broken neck.  I have heard her in every Broadway role since 2001 --- and guess what she has NEVER cancelled and never disappointed.  Am I the only one?  I think these barbs against Benanti need to be given a rest. They truly aren't LOL. 

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#62SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/6/24 at 2:58am

FranklinDickson2018 said: "

Then they have to cast a standby for the Tuesday nights LOL"

"

No. Just savage. Can you please give Benanti a break? Her health problems dating back to Into the Woods are well documented, and they include a broken neck. I have heard her in every Broadway role since 2001 --- and guess what she has NEVER cancelled and never disappointed. Am I the only one? I think these barbs against Benanti need to be given a rest. They truly aren't LOL.

it’s true thou. Out of all the shows I’ve been with her in it she only showed up for one and that was Gypsy 
"

Updated On: 1/6/24 at 02:58 AM

verywellthensigh
#63SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/6/24 at 4:52pm

She only showed up for one of her shows?  What?

As for alternates, why not Sherie Renee Scott?  Or did she retire?  

Updated On: 1/6/24 at 04:52 PM

jimmycurry01
#64SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/6/24 at 5:15pm

verywellthensigh said: "She only showed up for one of her shows? What?

As for alternates, why not Sherie Renee Scott? Or did she retire?
"

She hasn't done a musical on Broadway since Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown. I think her experience with that one left a pretty bad taste in her mouth. Maybe she has chosen to move on?

James Kerrigan2
#65SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/7/24 at 1:09am

jimmycurry01 said: "verywellthensigh said: "She only showed up for one of her shows? What?

"

She hasn't done a musical on Broadway since Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown. I think her experience with that one left a pretty bad taste in her mouth. Maybe she has chosen to move on?
"

It’s a long shot but Hannah Waddingham would make a great Norma Desmond! https://youtu.be/geJ-pg4v7FA?si=UNpI51kN0rFn0Uiz

silent
#66SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/7/24 at 8:34am

I heard that a London Live Cast recording is coming. I wonder if they will just go with that for the Grammy submission. Or record another for the Original Broadway Cast Recording. 

BETTY22
#67SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/7/24 at 9:05am

Sarah Jessica Parker was at the final performance.

She is going into the theatre next with Matthew. 

Dreamboy3
#68SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/7/24 at 9:18am

jimmycurry01 said: "verywellthensigh said: "She only showed up for one of her shows? What?

"

"

I had a meeting with her about a non theater related matter just before COVID and she offered to take me backstage the next time she was performing on Broadway. So at least at that time she hadn’t retired or decided to stop performing, though she was working on a number of writing projects for television. 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#69SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/7/24 at 10:07am

James Kerrigan2 said: "
It’s a long shot but Hannah Waddingham would make a great Norma Desmond!https://youtu.be/geJ-pg4v7FA?si=UNpI51kN0rFn0Uiz"

I was hoping this was a video of her singing something from SB, but still, if this happened, I WOULD SPEND SO MUCH MONEY

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

yyys
#70SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/7/24 at 10:13am

At the Hudson maybe or is it too small?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#71SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/7/24 at 11:20am

In a weird way I think the production could work in both small and large houses - the video projections and Nicole's performance (which plays to the back row) mean I could easily see it playing well in a large theatre and keep the audience engaged, but I suppose given it's a highly minimalist/abstract production with practically no set and simply monochrome colours throughout most of the show it probably shouldn't be at a barn. 

"I saw Rachel's last performance in Sunset and I was surprised at how similar the performances actually were. Like you, I was expecting something different. Lots of the same hand gestures, the same dance/movements, even the rolling across the floor that I never expected Rachel to do. She was very confident in her character, but it just didn't feel as natural as when Nicole plays it - not surprising since it was made around her."

I agree. And don't forget the vocal choices too "I've come HOMEEEEEEEEEEEE at last". Yet, as you say, for Nicole everything fits like a glove. For Rachel, it does feel a little forced/like a VERY good standby performance in my opinion. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#72SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/7/24 at 11:33am

Much more economically prudent to record the cast recording in the UK. It will be the same four principals in NYC so no nead for a second cast recording.

Given that they are bringing over 3 Brits, it wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to make the Monday night alternate an American for NYC. Is there anyone from the pop world who could pull it off?  How about someone like Fergie? She seems a little more in line with how the production has reconceived the role of Norma than most Broadway leading ladies.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

binau Profile Photo
binau
#73SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/7/24 at 4:18pm

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Theatrefan2
#74SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/7/24 at 5:04pm

TBFL said: "Fosse76 said: "Eddie3 said: "Also worth reminding everyone that it's no doubt going to be a very expensive ticket, and so particularly important to convey that there are a lot of non-gushing opinions, from those of us who have seen it already.

I don't see the public rushing out to see this, only the theater queens on this board. This will certainly have discounts.

That was far from the case in London, it was a hot ticket and sold every ticket in its last few weeks. No discounts to be found, apart from the usual lotteries.

"

"

"

Sorry but that simply isn't true.

Yes it sold very well in its last few weeks and at high prices, however over October and November there were many seats to be had and the discounts came in dynamic pricing. Theatreboard regularly had posts about what dynamic prices people were getting. And I know myself the prices dropped as I watched them and took advantage of them. Usually the top 3 or 4 prices were reduced. Including weekends.

It was also on tkts quite a bit.

It's been a successful run, but it was not a sell out for much of it  certainly not without the help of discounting.

Videos