pixeltracker

PATRIOTS to open at the Barrymore Theatre for 12 Week Run beginning April 1st, 2024

PATRIOTS to open at the Barrymore Theatre for 12 Week Run beginning April 1st, 2024

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#1PATRIOTS to open at the Barrymore Theatre for 12 Week Run beginning April 1st, 2024
Posted: 1/22/24 at 9:02am

Per Playbill;

https://www.playbill.com/article/peter-morgans-patriots-sets-2024-broadway-bow

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#2PATRIOTS to open at the Barrymore Theatre for 12 Week Run beginning April 1st, 2024
Posted: 1/22/24 at 9:18am

I might check this out. I chose not to see this while it was still running in London, but now that it's about to open in NYC, would anyone recommend this?

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3PATRIOTS to open at the Barrymore Theatre for 12 Week Run beginning April 1st, 2024
Posted: 1/22/24 at 9:51am

I can’t believe it’s been almost 20 years since Stuhlbarg has been on Broadway. 

ardiem
#4PATRIOTS to open at the Barrymore Theatre for 12 Week Run beginning April 1st, 2024
Posted: 1/22/24 at 9:51am

For me, this was the unexpected highlight of the shows I'd seen in London last summer (including Guys & Dolls, Cabaret, and Groundhog Day), and especially relevant given recent history. Looking forward to this!

Owen22
#5PATRIOTS to open at the Barrymore Theatre for 12 Week Run beginning April 1st, 2024
Posted: 1/22/24 at 9:57am

Like Thalon was terrific.  But. As good as Keen and I'm sure Stuhlbarg will be, that was Tom Hollander's play!!  

scripps Profile Photo
scripps
#6PATRIOTS to open at the Barrymore Theatre for 12 Week Run beginning April 1st, 2024
Posted: 1/22/24 at 10:12am

I have been waiting and waiting for this announcement and I can't be upset that Hollander isn't transferring because Stuhlbarg is one of our absolute best. Can't wait.

Hairspray0901
#7PATRIOTS to open at the Barrymore Theatre for 12 Week Run beginning April 1st, 2024
Posted: 1/22/24 at 10:27am

I have no idea what this show is about (I’ll look into it) but, on the surface - I have been avoiding anything and everything that refers to itself as a “patriot” as I now associate that with the January 6th right wing looney conservatives. I wonder what the title of this show will or won’t do for sales? 

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#8PATRIOTS to open at the Barrymore Theatre for 12 Week Run beginning April 1st, 2024
Posted: 1/22/24 at 10:33am

I can't get too enthused about this.

It's one thing for Peter Morgan to write complete fiction about the British royals, unimportant as they are. Some people actually take everything in The Crown to be true, and it becomes "history" to them. I'm not so comfortable with the same being done with something as current and life-or-death important as Putin and Russia.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#9PATRIOTS to open at the Barrymore Theatre for 12 Week Run beginning April 1st, 2024
Posted: 1/22/24 at 10:35am

Dylan Smith4 said: "I might check this out. I chose not to see this while it was still running in London, but now that it's about to open in NYC, would anyone recommend this?"

Definitely recommended, although I think there are more exciting possible West End transfers than this.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Jeff Tupolski Profile Photo
Jeff Tupolski
#10PATRIOTS to open at the Barrymore Theatre for 12 Week Run beginning April 1st, 2024
Posted: 1/22/24 at 10:59am

I was hoping Hollander would come over with this, but  Michael Stuhlbarg can do no wrong in my eyes, I’m sure he’ll be fabulous.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#11PATRIOTS to open at the Barrymore Theatre for 12 Week Run beginning April 1st, 2024
Posted: 1/22/24 at 11:39am

scripps said: "I have been waiting and waiting for this announcement and I can't be upset that Hollander isn't transferring because Stuhlbarg is one of our absolute best. Can't wait."

Yeah, I love Hollander but loooove me some Stuhlbarg. Excited to see this one. No idea how it will sell or if people *want* to see a play about V.P. in this climate.

A few weeks ago the Best Play category was looking pretty weak. Now between this and Stereophonic there's some hope!

Jarethan
#12PATRIOTS to open at the Barrymore Theatre for 12 Week Run beginning April 1st, 2024
Posted: 1/22/24 at 11:40am

If it is 20 years since he was last on Broadway, I imagine the last time might have been Pillowman, in which he stole the show from an outstanding Billy Crudup as well as Jeff Goldblum.  I seem to remember there was a fourth cast member, but I can’t remember anything about his performance.

That said, I saw this in London and thought Hollander was really great in the role.  Wonder why he didn’t want to cross the pond.  He would have been a serious Tony contender in a packed year, which this certainly is not.

i am also surprised that it is for only 12 weeks.  Given that this will likely need time to build, and won’t  be able to charge outrageous prices (Stuhlberg isn’t a box office attraction), I can’t see how this will have a chance of returning its investment…unless it does catch on and they extend.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#13PATRIOTS to open at the Barrymore Theatre for 12 Week Run beginning April 1st, 2024
Posted: 1/22/24 at 11:48am

Speaking of Billy Crudup, it was announced today he’s taking his one-man HARRY CLARKE play to the West End for 12 weeks starting in March, at The Ambassadors. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#14PATRIOTS to open at the Barrymore Theatre for 12 Week Run beginning April 1st, 2024
Posted: 1/22/24 at 11:49am

https://www.ibdb.com/broadway-production/the-pillowman-392093#OpeningNightCast

Could be that they have options to extend to 15-20 weeks but they're announcing the initial 12 to frontload sales. With the current schedule, they close one week after the Tonys.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#15PATRIOTS to open at the Barrymore Theatre for 12 Week Run beginning April 1st, 2024
Posted: 1/22/24 at 1:10pm

Will be interesting to see how this is received in NYC. Hollander was electric on stage - but I found the play itself problematic in terms of pacing, character development (yes, I know it is based on real people) and even theme. I do recognize that "patriots" is an ironic term for all the characters who assert they are "patriots" but are really out for themselves. The play sort of tried to get you to sympathize and relate to Boris Berezovsky - but it didn't work for me. 

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#16PATRIOTS to open at the Barrymore Theatre for 12 Week Run beginning April 1st, 2024
Posted: 1/22/24 at 4:30pm

I guess this means Dear England is going to the Belasco?  Rupert Goold will have three plays in New York this spring with Patriots, Dear England, and the Hunt at St Ann’s Warehouse.  Tammy Faye in the fall. 
looking forward to this play, it looks satirical from the trailer. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#17PATRIOTS to open at the Barrymore Theatre for 12 Week Run beginning April 1st, 2024
Posted: 1/22/24 at 4:44pm

Hairspray0901 said: "I have no idea what this show is about (I’ll look into it) but, on the surface - I have been avoiding anything and everything that refers to itself as a “patriot” as I now associate that with the January 6th right wing looney conservatives. I wonder what the title of this show will or won’t do for sales?"

I mean, if you had taken one second to click on the link, you'd see immediately this is about Russia.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#18PATRIOTS to open at the Barrymore Theatre for 12 Week Run beginning April 1st, 2024
Posted: 1/22/24 at 4:55pm

Broadway Flash said: "I guess this means Dear England is going to the Belasco? Rupert Goold will have three plays in New York this spring with Patriots, Dear England, and the Hunt at St Ann’s Warehouse. Tammy Faye in the fall.
"

Um…NO! The Belasco is WAY TOO SMALL!  Dear England needs a big theatre if it’s coming over here. The only big and vacant theatres that can accommodate this show’s large set would be the Palace, or the Majestic.

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Hairspray0901
#19PATRIOTS to open at the Barrymore Theatre for 12 Week Run beginning April 1st, 2024
Posted: 1/22/24 at 5:00pm

Kad said: "Hairspray0901 said: "I have no idea what this show is about (I’ll look into it) but, on the surface - I have been avoiding anything and everything that refers to itself as a “patriot” as I now associate that with the January 6th right wing looney conservatives. I wonder what the title of this show will or won’t do for sales?"

I mean, if you had taken one second to click on the link, you'd see immediately this is about Russia.
"

Do you know what the phrase “on the surface” means, in reference to the title? I did look it up after posting (as I said I would) but that doesn’t change the title of the piece and how the word “Patriot” is received in America these days. 

SisterGeorge
#20PATRIOTS to open at the Barrymore Theatre for 12 Week Run beginning April 1st, 2024
Posted: 1/22/24 at 5:58pm

Hairspray0901 said: "Kad said: "Hairspray0901 said: "I have no idea what this show is about (I’ll look into it) but, on the surface - I have been avoiding anything and everything that refers to itself as a “patriot” as I now associate that with the January 6th right wing looney conservatives. I wonder what the title of this show will or won’t do for sales?"

"

Do you know what the phrase “on the surface” means, in reference to the title? I did look it up after posting (as I said I would) but that doesn’t change the title of the piece and how the word “Patriot” is received in America these days.
"

Why are we always letting the far right redefine the language? The word "patriot" is nearly 500 years old but now it's reduced to being synonymous with the January 6th traitors? Don't let those jerks steal another word from our vocabulary.

Sister George

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#21PATRIOTS to open at the Barrymore Theatre for 12 Week Run beginning April 1st, 2024
Posted: 1/22/24 at 6:48pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "Broadway Flash said: "I guess this means Dear England is going to the Belasco? Rupert Goold will have three plays in New York this spring with Patriots, Dear England, and the Hunt at St Ann’s Warehouse. Tammy Faye in the fall.
"

Um…NO! The Belasco is WAY TOO SMALL! Dear England needs a big theatre if it’s coming over here. The only big and vacant theatres that can accommodate this show’s large set would be the Palace, or the Majestic.
"

London loves to give us massive sets for plays, which I love.

Jarethan
#22PATRIOTS to open at the Barrymore Theatre for 12 Week Run beginning April 1st, 2024
Posted: 1/22/24 at 8:39pm

At least, despite the paucity of new plays, we are getting some good ones.  Between this, Appropriate, Prayer for the French Republic, Stereophonic and Mary Jane, the best new play category will be solid.  Plus, I have more non-musical options to choose from, since I am not currently excited about any of the new musicals, although I do have tickets for The Notebook.  I just have to accept that it does not have Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
theaterdarling
#24PATRIOTS to open at the Barrymore Theatre for 12 Week Run beginning April 1st, 2024
Posted: 1/23/24 at 3:43am

Jarethan said: "If it is 20 years since he was last on Broadway, I imagine the last time might have been Pillowman, in which he stole the show from an outstanding Billy Crudup as well as Jeff Goldblum. I seem to remember there was a fourth cast member, but I can’t remember anything about his performance.

That said, I saw this in London and thought Hollander was really great in the role. Wonder why he didn’t want to cross the pond. He would have been a serious Tony contender in a packed year, which this certainly is not.....

Ever since "Travesties" I could not wait to see Hollander on stage again and was crushed, crushed when hearing the news. I too thought his not joining the production here was puzzling given the rapturous reviews he received in London and the likely Tony nom you reference (and possible win) that would await him here (he lost the Olivier for the part to Paul Mescal for Streetcar). I'm guessing it might be for family reasons: he became a father for the first time last September and perhaps staying put in London was the larger priority. He has spoken in the past about the toll traveling for work three to four months at a time takes on relationships, so I would imagine for him that goes double for fatherhood and he decided to sit out this four month stretch away. I want to cry, but, hey, mazel tov to him.  Otherwise, a film/tv role that was coveted and/or came with a larger paycheck might be the culprit - kids are expensive.

B212323
#25PATRIOTS to open at the Barrymore Theatre for 12 Week Run beginning April 1st, 2024
Posted: 1/24/24 at 10:25pm

Bummed Tom Hollander isn't transferring with it.