News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Boy George in MR

QueenTwinnied
#25Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/8/24 at 11:48pm

Matt Rogers said: "Are the words "Moulin Rouge" seriously that difficult to type? People can blab and blab and blab but they are only able to type the initials of the show they are talking about?"

You sure blab blab blab a lot about something so inconsequential. Chill out

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#26Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/9/24 at 7:11am

There’s not even another ‘MR’ on Broadway to get confused about. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#27Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/9/24 at 11:42am

QueenTwinnied said: "Matt Rogers said: "Are the words "Moulin Rouge" seriously that difficult to type? People can blab and blab and blab but they are only able to type the initials of the show they are talking about?"

You sure blab blab blab a lot about something so inconsequential. Chill out
"

Umm, excuse me. Merrilywe Rollalong. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#28Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/9/24 at 4:52pm

Is Boy George appearing in multiple shows on Broadway? That would seem to focus us in on one specific show.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#29Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/9/24 at 4:56pm

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "There’s noteven another ‘MR’ on Broadway to get confused about."

I though BG (Boy George) was great in that hit revival of MR (Mr. Roberts).

two ladies tickets
#30Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/9/24 at 5:51pm

songanddanceman2 said: "I find it disgusting they cast him.

I was a big fan and I love Taboo (though let's not pretend he was good in it) but this is a convicted felon who did something awful.
"

There were several company members who expressed concern about this when they were told he would be joining the show. Management/production didn't seem to think it was an issue and ignored them. 

RemlapLBC
#31Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/9/24 at 8:56pm

I don't mind the megamix redo, if you're going to stunt cast, you milk it.

I hope that was just opening night, wow he was awful, even on his own songs.    I also kept waiting for him to tumble backwards when they had him lifted up in the air.  I hope future shows are better.  

tacotheatrelover Profile Photo
tacotheatrelover
#32Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/10/24 at 12:45pm

I Just heard an audio of him singing Chandelier and… I literally cannot breathe. It is laughably bad. I know I’m not the most positive person on here by a long shot, but oh my GOD this is bad. This is more than bad. I laughed so hard. He is not good.

QueenTwinnied
#33Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/10/24 at 4:51pm

I heard it too. Truly shocking they went through with putting this man in front of people who paid money to see a Broadway show. What a JOKE

Updated On: 2/10/24 at 04:51 PM

theatreguy12
#34Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/10/24 at 6:16pm

Saw Culture Club at the Hollywood Bowl last season and he just didn't sound as good then either as he had been in previous outings.  

Even his bantering and ad lib between songs was pretty weak. This Broadway outing doesn't really surprise me.

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#35Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/10/24 at 7:01pm

ggersten said: "D'Amboise as Zidler?"

THAT would get me back in the theater.

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#36Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/10/24 at 7:39pm

tacotheatrelover said: "I Just heard an audio of him singing Chandelier and… I literally cannot breathe. It is laughably bad. I know I’m not the most positive person on here by a long shot, but oh my GOD this is bad. Thisis more than bad. I laughed so hard. Heis not good."

Please tell me where I can here the clip?

BCfitasafiddle
#37Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/10/24 at 7:54pm

Apparently, Boy George had AirPods in his ears today onstage during the performance. He claimed to have not realized they were still in. 

tacotheatrelover Profile Photo
tacotheatrelover
#38Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/10/24 at 8:20pm

FANtomFollies said: "tacotheatrelover said: "I Just heard an audio of him singing Chandelier and… I literally cannot breathe. It is laughably bad. I know I’m not the most positive person on here by a long shot, but oh my GOD this is bad. Thisis more than bad. I laughed so hard. Heis not good."

Please tell me where I can here the clip?
"

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT83ybXfB/ Here’s your hell in 2 minutes

MemorableUserName
#39Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/10/24 at 8:33pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "Apparently, Boy George had AirPods in his ears today onstage during the performance. He claimed to have not realized they were still in."

Someone posted about it on Twitter this morning so I think it happened before today. Unless he did it again today...

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#40Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/11/24 at 2:38pm

I’ve seen Culture Club a few times over the last few years usually as a part of an 80s bill. They seem to be a huge draw even though George’s voice is quite diminished. He has great backing vocalists. Also he is charismatic and cheeky which people like. He’s incredibly lazy on stage and I wondered why he was cast based on the need to act, nail vocals and be a part of a very energetic show. I assume it’s his large fan base who are very loyal. Don’t ever mention the diminished voice to a Culture Club stan. It will not end well. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#41Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/14/24 at 11:26pm

Oh Boy…George.

What should’ve been an absolute slam dunk on paper was an absolutely bitter disappointment. 

He is really just…there. There are no real character choices, the vocals lack any amount of power, and he seems to shuffle from mark to mark and it looks like the cast is guiding him around.  Additionally, He went up on the lyrics in the opening number, but regained his place after the backing ensemble cued him back on track. Also, you could see he was visibly exhausted after any sort of dancing. “Chandelier” was a disaster - almost like bad karaoke

Frankly, the more times I see this show, the more I see how the original cast (with the exception of Karen Olivo) really had that something special that elevated otherwise pedestrian and lazy material. The only cast members I would give a pass on tonight would be Tasia Jungbauer (as Satine) and David Harris (as Duke). They both brought any life to the proceedings.

Gabe Martinez seemed like a very cartoonish Santiago, Andre Ward had trouble maintaining an accent, and worst of all - DEREK KLENA DOES NOT HAVE THE NOTES. I could hear him struggling and go into head voice quite a bit. I fear that MR is turning Christian into a Velma Kelly role - a small rotation of pretty white bots who sound like they are auditioning for a BFA program.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm
Updated On: 2/14/24 at 11:26 PM

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#42Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/15/24 at 12:09am

Derek went out mid-show last night and was replaced by Dylan Paul. Tasia was on last night as well as quite a lot of swings in the ensemble, I’m wondering if something isn’t going around in the company. As for George, if you’d not see the show before you’d not know how lacking his performance is in comparison to Danny and Eric. I do think since those early clips he’s gotten better- which may not say much, but he’s not the train wreck people are making him out to be. Let’s show some grace for replacements until further into their runs, it takes a lot to replace in a long running show no matter your pedigree- it takes time to get it into your muscle memory, especially if you’re out of practice. 

Updated On: 2/15/24 at 12:09 AM

Malinda5000
#43Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/15/24 at 6:42am

quizking101 said: "Oh Boy…George.

What should’ve been an absolute slam dunk on paper was an absolutely bitter disappointment.

He is really just…there. There areno real character choices, the vocals lack any amount of power, and he seems to shufflefrom mark to mark and it looks like the cast is guiding him around. Additionally, He went up on the lyrics in the opening number, but regained his place after the backing ensemble cued him back on track. Also, you could see he was visibly exhausted after any sort of dancing. “Chandelier” was a disaster - almost like bad karaoke

Frankly, the more times I see this show, the more I see how the original cast (with the exception of Karen Olivo) really had that something special that elevated otherwise pedestrian and lazy material. The only cast members I would give a pass on tonight would be Tasia Jungbauer (as Satine) and David Harris (as Duke). They both brought any life to the proceedings.

Gabe Martinez seemed like a very cartoonish Santiago, Andre Ward hadtrouble maintaining an accent, and worst of all - DEREK KLENA DOES NOT HAVE THE NOTES. I could hear him struggling and go into head voice quite a bit. I fear that MR is turning Christian into a Velma Kelly role - a small rotation of pretty white bots who sound like they are auditioning for a BFA program.
"

Give Boy George  his flowers…he’s a living legend and stepping into a long running show that’s not all that perfect in the first place.

We should always give our elders their flowers while they are still here…

George has been through a lot and survived.

The producers must feel proud to have him so enjoy the show or you get up there and I’m sure you’ll do better…?

Just Saying !!!

OhHiii
#44Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/15/24 at 7:14am

Malinda5000 said: "Give Boy George his flowers…he’s a living legend and stepping into a long running show that’s not all that perfect in the first place.

The producers must feel proud to have him so enjoy the show or you get up there and I’m sure you’ll do better…?

Just Saying !!!
"

By all accounts thus far, this performance is nothing to be proud of. Living “legend” is already a stretch but from what content has been leaked online and what people have said here who have seen it, he’s not even trying. Plus, ya know the whole sexual assault thing…

quizking101
#45Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/15/24 at 8:30am

Malinda5000 said: "Give Boy George his flowers…he’s a living legend and stepping into a long running show that’s not all that perfect in the first place.

Just Saying !!!

"

I was a fan a Boy George from a young age since my parents raised me on his music. I gave my flowers when I purchased my ticket to go see and support him in this show.

He, unfortunately, delivered a middling and sleepy performance that was bereft of any real effort to create a character or even hit the notes of the few songs he has. For someone whose entire public identity is cultivated from “freaks and weirdo art types”, I expected a lot more of everything.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Malinda5000
#46Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/20/24 at 4:30pm

Saw George the other night…

He’s not as bad as this thread is making him out to be.

Courtney and Derek were…in my opinion…Awful.

Anyway the show has not aged well.

Just Saying!!!

PipingHotPiccolo
#47Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/20/24 at 8:38pm

i think its clear that Boy George is not cut out to be doing what Danny Burstein or Eric Anderson did with Ziedler; the producers made a choice, and perhaps an unfortunate one, trading in the singing/acting chops for an Event. Did anyone think Boy George would show up and knock our socks off?

That said theres a clip of the closing megamix online from a more recent performance, and while the clip of his opening night was truly astoundingly and unacceptably bad, its clear that hes settled in a bit and isnt nearly as caught-in-the-headlights as he finds his footing. Not sure what people's issue with Klena is but I do suspect that its a close race between whose giving less on any given night, Boy G or Courteney Reed.

quizking101
#48Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/20/24 at 9:15pm

I'm curious as to why Christian doesn't have a set alternate but Satine does.

When I saw Tituss as Zidler back in November, Courtney was...fine, but she was also doing A LOT of heavy lifting and trying to harmonize with Casey Cott's non-existent vocal skills.

The four times I've seen the show, I've seen:
- Aaron, Karen & Danny
- Aaron, Ashley, & Bobby Daye (U/S Zidler)
- Casey, Courtney & Tituss
- Derek, Tasia & Boy George.

Of what I've seen Aaron, Ashley, and Danny were by and far the best in each of their roles.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#49Boy George in MR
Posted: 2/20/24 at 10:32pm

Malinda5000 said: "quizking101 said: "Oh Boy…George.

He is really just…there. There areno real character choices, the vocals lack any amount of power, and he seems to shufflefrom mark to mark and it looks like the cast is guiding him around. Additionally, He went up on the lyrics in the opening number, but regained his place after the backing ensemble cued him back on track. Also, you could see he was visibly exhausted after any sort of dancing. “Chandelier” was a disaster - almost like bad karaoke

Gabe Martinez seemed like a very cartoonish Santiago, Andre Ward hadtrouble maintaining an accent, and worst of all - DEREK KLENA DOES NOT HAVE THE NOTES. I could hear him struggling and go into head voice quite a bit. I fear that MR is turning Christian into a Velma Kelly role - a small rotation of pretty white bots who sound like they are auditioning for a BFA program.
"

Give Boy George his flowers…he’s a living legend and stepping into a long running show that’s not all that perfect in the first place.

Just Saying !!!

"

Were the Weisslers "proud to have" Wendy Williams in Chicago? Or was she a means to an end? This is no different. 

Videos