TOMMY To Close on July 21, 2024

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1TOMMY To Close on July 21, 2024
Posted: 6/25/24 at 6:38pm

National tour launches fall 2025 in Providence, RI.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/25/theater/tommy-revival-broadway-closing.html

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 6/25/24 at 06:38 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2TOMMY To Close on July 21, 2024
Posted: 6/25/24 at 6:40pm

Heartbroken, I thought I'd have to the end of the summer to catch it again. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

alovingfan Profile Photo
alovingfan
#3TOMMY To Close on July 21, 2024
Posted: 6/25/24 at 6:56pm

Just catch it on tour.  Physically it will be the same thing. 

always bway
#4TOMMY To Close on July 21, 2024
Posted: 6/25/24 at 6:57pm

gutted.

newskoolbway

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#5TOMMY To Close on July 21, 2024
Posted: 6/25/24 at 6:59pm

Surprised. Thought they run through the summer.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#6TOMMY To Close on July 21, 2024
Posted: 6/25/24 at 7:00pm

Well, this explains why my producer friend was rather pissed this morning.

I get that it wasn’t for everyone and the design was a little wonky, but I enjoyed it quite a bit and saw it multiple times 

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#7TOMMY To Close on July 21, 2024
Posted: 6/25/24 at 7:02pm

Tough when the numbers aren't even THAT bad. Its grosses must be just below the breakeven, no? It did 794 last week, and all prior weeks in the $740k-$1M range. But the producers are probably faced with a bad advance and know that increasing ad spend won't help with so much competition out there...close now and hope to make it up on the road.

I have a feeling we will see some real purse-tightening on running costs going forward. Breaking even vs losing money can be a difference of $50K.

Redwood to the Nederlander?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#8TOMMY To Close on July 21, 2024
Posted: 6/25/24 at 7:03pm

I need someone to write an original musical and role that is worth the time and talents of Alison Luff. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#9TOMMY To Close on July 21, 2024
Posted: 6/25/24 at 7:04pm

This production always felt a bit misguided. I enjoyed it, but it was forgotten quickly. 

bigbelterbaby
#10TOMMY To Close on July 21, 2024
Posted: 6/25/24 at 7:04pm

I have a feeling this would have benefited from an outsiders viewpoint and the creative team from the 1993 original, while making some big changes like cutting the Uncle character, didn’t manage to make magic on stage to win over new fans of the show. My mom is in her 60s and knows the album by heart, I’m in my 30s and have no interest in this type of music, or shows that are abstract and have muddy plots. I would say this will probably never be revived on Broadway again, so def check it out if you’re interested. The creators are all in their 80s (Des McAnuff, Pete Townshend) etc and won’t be with us forever. 

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#11TOMMY To Close on July 21, 2024
Posted: 6/25/24 at 7:09pm

I really would have enjoyed an album with this cast but if they're not even going to stick around through the summer I guess the money just wasn't there.

pablitonizer
#12TOMMY To Close on July 21, 2024
Posted: 6/25/24 at 7:10pm

Such a forgettable revival imo

The notebook is next...

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#13TOMMY To Close on July 21, 2024
Posted: 6/25/24 at 7:13pm

Hated this when I saw it here in Chicago. Must be a generational thing. 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#14TOMMY To Close on July 21, 2024
Posted: 6/25/24 at 7:16pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "
Redwood to the Nederlander?"

Redwood should wait until Spring to open. If it opens in Fall it may have trouble staying open past January.

If Illinoise wants to stay open, could they move to Nederlander?

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#15TOMMY To Close on July 21, 2024
Posted: 6/25/24 at 7:25pm

inception said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Redwood to the Nederlander?"

Redwood should wait until Spring to open. If it opensin Fall it may have trouble staying open past January.

"

I'm sure Idina's dates are already set and a show closing would have little impact on their internal plan. They're also working around Tina Landau, who has a spring show opening . . . not that that stopped Michael Grief, but not everyone likes to run between theaters & studios.

It would seem foolish to move ILLINOISE. It's selling fine but may stand to make more on the road, which I assume has been the hope all along. A move is costly, and they're not selling out.

singer234
#16TOMMY To Close on July 21, 2024
Posted: 6/25/24 at 7:29pm

I could see Illinoise here.

I don't think it's the greatest idea, but if they are trying to capitalize off their reviews, I wouldn't be shocked to see Gun & Powder try to snag the Nederlander. They have an upcoming performance at BroadwayCon so are clearly trying to stay in the public eye.

It's too soon for Queen of Versailles and not the right fit anyway. Smash says Spring 2025, but I wouldn't hate it in this theater.

Jarethan
#17TOMMY To Close on July 21, 2024
Posted: 6/25/24 at 8:08pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "inception said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Redwood to the Nederlander?"

Redwood should wait until Spring to open. If it opensin Fall it may have trouble staying open past January.

"

I'm sure Idina's dates are already set and a show closing would have little impact on their internalplan. They're also working around Tina Landau, who has a spring show opening . . .not that that stopped Michael Grief, but not everyone likes to run between theaters & studios.

It would seem foolish to move ILLINOISE. It's selling fine but may stand to make more on the road, which I assume has been the hope all along. A move is costly, and they're not selling out.
"

Also, we know that moving is very costly, so a show that is only doing okay business is not going to justify the expense.  It is amazing…decades ago, shows frequently moved theatres.  The cost was insignificant.  I don’t understand why it has gotten so crazy, but it has unfortunately.  I was surprised when Appropriate moved for a limited engagement…I am sure they figured out the costs vs. likely revenue, but still was surprised.  Of course, it is the only way I got to see it.

JustAnotherNewYorker
#18TOMMY To Close on July 21, 2024
Posted: 6/25/24 at 8:10pm

"see me"

"Nah"

It was fine, but a bit spare for me. 

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#19TOMMY To Close on July 21, 2024
Posted: 6/25/24 at 8:13pm

It could be the preachers wife, Lehman trilogy, Buena vista social club,  is the welkin looking to transfer?

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#20TOMMY To Close on July 21, 2024
Posted: 6/25/24 at 8:36pm

I thought it would last a little longer than that but not much longer. I had no interest in this revival but sorry for those who enjoyed it.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#21TOMMY To Close on July 21, 2024
Posted: 6/25/24 at 8:46pm

Jarethan said: "I was surprised when Appropriate moved for a limited engagement…I am sure they figured out the costs vs. likely revenue, but still was surprised. Of course, it is the only way I got to see it."

APPROPRIATE was a unique situation because it was a nonprofit run that had commercial producers attached (led by the ambitious ATG), and moving it was the only opportunity for them to make some actual money. And, they had Sarah Paulson.

Will I recoup? I don't know. But its extension has sold better than I anticipated after a rough start.

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#22TOMMY To Close on July 21, 2024
Posted: 6/25/24 at 8:46pm

So no cast album then. Ughhhh. 

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#23TOMMY To Close on July 21, 2024
Posted: 6/25/24 at 8:53pm

I hope a slime tutorial will show up at some point…

Voter
#24TOMMY To Close on July 21, 2024
Posted: 6/25/24 at 9:38pm

Broadway Flash said: "It could be the preachers wife, Lehman trilogy, Buena vista social club, is the welkin looking to transfer?"

I thought Lehman Trilogy was not coming back? Someone posted on another thread that it it’s the PA production 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#25TOMMY To Close on July 21, 2024
Posted: 6/25/24 at 10:43pm

bigbelterbaby said: "I have a feeling this would have benefited from an outsiders viewpoint and the creative team from the 1993 original, while making some big changes like cutting the Uncle character, didn’t manage to make magic on stage to win over new fans of the show. My mom is in her 60s and knows the album by heart, I’m in my 30s and have no interest in this type of music, or shows that are abstract and have muddy plots. I would say this will probably never be revived on Broadway again, so def check it out if you’re interested. The creators are all in their 80s (Des McAnuff, Pete Townshend) etc and won’t be with us forever."

Nobody was going to get away with cutting anything that major.

Also, McAnuff is 72 and Townshend just turned 79. Neither are “in their 80s”

To my understanding, BVSC has its eyes on a Shubert Theatre to be announced for Spring, possibly the Broadhurst, Booth, or Golden pending how things shuffle with Stereophonic (if it becomes an open run) and Operation Mincemeat

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Videos