pixeltracker

Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson

Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson

DoogieB Profile Photo
DoogieB
#0Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson
Posted: 1/17/06 at 3:50pm

Do you know if there will be any videos of his performance either on BWW, Broadway.com or Broadway.yahoo.com? I see there are videos of Hunter Foster in The Producers, so I assume there will be of Jonathan Pryce in DRS. Anyone know if these vids get made, and if so, when they get around?

Message Board Signature

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#1re: Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson
Posted: 1/17/06 at 4:40pm

im really sorry for being negative...Jonathan is a good actor...but his singing is horrible! not like John Lithgow is a great singer...but i think Jonathan will be awful!!! i couldn't stand his singing in "Evita". The show is definitly one of my least favorite shows anyhow...so i am not going to see it EVER again. Just my opinion.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#2re: Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson
Posted: 1/17/06 at 4:49pm

I think Mr. Pryce has a nice, rich baritone voice.

#3re: Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson
Posted: 1/17/06 at 4:56pm

I don't remember Jonathan Pryce's voice, but he is a very fine actor and I'm sure he'll pull it off fantastically. Might even pick up that new Tony award for Best Replacement.

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#4re: Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson
Posted: 1/17/06 at 5:02pm

And Muscle you liked Bombay Dreams.....so remind me why we should take you seriously?

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#5re: Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson
Posted: 1/17/06 at 5:18pm

Jonathan Pryce has a very good voice. He's no John Raitt, but he has a nice voice.

SirLiir Profile Photo
SirLiir
#6re: Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson
Posted: 1/17/06 at 5:29pm

C'mon Muscle, give him a chance! He hasn't even started yet for goodness sakes. Not sure when official videos will be available of him but they tend to come quick.

way_to_spend_the_day Profile Photo
way_to_spend_the_day
#7re: Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson
Posted: 1/17/06 at 6:34pm

Muscle, are you speaking just from Evita?? His performance is amazing in Miss Saigon...and he played a character not too far off from his in DRS. He is really amazing and won the Tony for a role in which he was cast in despite the fact that he was not asian, as the part was originally supposed to be cast.

***It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves. -- William Shakespeare***

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#8re: Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson
Posted: 1/17/06 at 6:37pm

I have the Miss Saigon CD and I love his voice on that! The last "American Dream" is wonderful to hear. I'm excited to hear his "Love Sneaks In."

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#9re: Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson
Posted: 1/17/06 at 6:43pm

Pryce gave one of the most charismatic performances I've ever had the pleasure of seeing in 'Miss Saigon.' He just commanded attention and, at the same time, brought the other actors with him, rather than just smothering them.

Marguerite Chauvelin
#10re: Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson
Posted: 1/17/06 at 6:48pm

I loved Jonathan in the Miss Saigon CD, and Oliver!, and the Cameron Mackintosh DVD. I can't wait to see him in this, he's a great actor.

If Percy Blakeney were in Les Mis....

Percy: Sink me! If it isn't Javvurt!
Javert: Zsah-vair, it's pronounced Zsah-vair.
Pecry: But it's spelled J-A-V-E-R-T Javvurt.
Javert: Repeat after me Zsah...Zsah....
Percy: Oh! Zsa-Zsa! Like the Gabor sister! Well I personally have always prefered Eva.
Javert: (Looks for gun)

DoogieB Profile Photo
DoogieB
#11re: Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson
Posted: 1/17/06 at 7:34pm

....an answer to my question would be just great...

Message Board Signature

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#12re: Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson
Posted: 1/17/06 at 10:14pm

When the show is done and someone has seen it, please comment! I would love to hear how Jonathan did.

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#13re: Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson
Posted: 1/17/06 at 10:43pm

I cherish my MISS SAIGON and OLIVER! CDs. I'd say Jonathan Pryce is vocally stronger than John Lithgow, although both are good. They actually sound quite similar.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."
Updated On: 1/17/06 at 10:43 PM

ALWrules Profile Photo
ALWrules
#14re: Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson
Posted: 1/17/06 at 11:16pm

Jonathan price has a bad voice? Have you ever listened to Miss Saigon? He is brilliant as the Engineer.

Keep your morals, I don't have time. Keep your lovers, I'm changing mine! -The Likes of Us

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#15re: Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson
Posted: 1/18/06 at 1:11am

Carl Magnum ~ that was an amazing comment and i 100% agree with you

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#16re: Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson
Posted: 1/18/06 at 2:29am

He did a brilliant job in the London concert recording of "NINE". And that's a very difficult role!

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#17re: Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson
Posted: 1/18/06 at 2:48am

i said "i think" of course i haven't seen Jonathan in DRS, and i won't ever comment about it...becuz although i think Jonathan and Rachel York are brilliant performers ...i have seen the show already and i hated it and found myself very bored during it. And that i can say becuz i saw the show.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Emilia Profile Photo
Emilia
#18re: Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson
Posted: 1/18/06 at 3:57am

I'll try and play nice here but.... please credit where credit's due-Pyrce is recognised as a talented singer, as has been said listen to Miss Saigon, Evita doesn't really do his singing justice as he doesn't get much chance in it. His singing aside he's also a great actor-a great comic actor too- and as not being a 'singer' certainly didn't stop John Lithgow in the role -(I'm not saying Lithgow cant sing I'm saying it's not his strength) then Johnathan shouldn't have anything to worry about in that department.

Ok end of sermon re: Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson but er yeah has anyone seen him yet? this 'lil fan from his homeland is waiting anxiously (and still kicking herself she missed him in DRS by 3 weeks!)

'It was six hours! I don't even like to have sex or eat bacon for six hours!' 'You are faboulous creatures each and every one'

algy Profile Photo
algy
#19re: Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson
Posted: 1/18/06 at 6:08am

I've got an aged cassette recording of hightlights from Caberet with Maria Friedman, and Jonathan's on that somewhere. I think he was the MC (although I can't be sure) and I can't remember objecting to anyones singing on that - in fact it got listened to over and over.

Practically Perfect Profile Photo
Practically Perfect
#20re: Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson
Posted: 1/18/06 at 8:24am

His Henry Higgins from the 2001 National Theatre recording of My Fair Lady is flawless, as is his Fagin in the 1993 production of Oliver! He's a fantastic singer and actor, and I can't wait to see him in this show - hopefully I'll get to see it when Sherie comes back and before Norbert leaves! All the best Jonathan! I really hope he gets nominated for the replacement Tony.

Mary P x

wendy72 Profile Photo
wendy72
#21re: Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson
Posted: 1/18/06 at 9:04am

Someone on Talkin' Broadway saw his first performance last nite, and praised him (saying he was even better than John). This person also praised Sara's replacement, Mylinda Hull..might have to go see it when Rachel York takes over for Sherie and Norbert is back.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#22re: Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson
Posted: 1/18/06 at 9:22am

Yay for Mylinda Hull! With all this Pryce talk, we forgot Mylinda Hull also started last night.

I am tempted to return for Mylinda. I knew once I saw her as Nickie in Charity, she would go places. She is a rising star for sure. I love how she has went from great supporting role almost immediately to another great one.

gavrochegirl
#23re: Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson
Posted: 1/18/06 at 10:18am

I've heard his rendition of The American Dream and own the Evita movie soundtrack...I'm sure he'll be a great Lawrence. re: Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson

What the puck?!

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#24re: Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson
Posted: 1/18/06 at 10:51am

Ljay you could sit through Mylinda's performances of Nikki...... her singing was terrible with that stupid charecter voice! I hope she doesn't use one in DRS....

I hope when i see it, it is Johnathan Rachel and Sara