News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

BANDSTAND Reviews

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#100BANDSTAND Reviews
Posted: 4/27/17 at 8:33am

It's interesting how the first posted reviews were raves and then they just kind of went in a downward trajectory...it just goes to show how subjectivity is a big part of human nature.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#101BANDSTAND Reviews
Posted: 4/27/17 at 9:59am

Auggie27 said: "Whatever one's appraisal of the reviews, mixed to this, mixed to that, Linda Winer nailed the real problem here: marketing the show with a brand name that doesn't match boomers' and younger  perceptions. "Bandstand" is a Dick Clark era one word moniker, though obviously the term's roots are timeless. So the name conjures one thing, the show evokes another. This is a post WWII show, and WWII is a tough era to push in 2017. Those who recall it are over 80. It isn't an era with nostalgia investment (again, for boomers and younger), nor does its (admittedly beloved) music currently have a wide fan base. It's a niche piece, no matter how expertly rendered in terms of music and dance. It has no stars. It's a tough sell. 

"

Also, the marketing does nothing for the show. The promotional shot with the logo behind it is just boring. 

Liza's Headband
#102BANDSTAND Reviews
Posted: 4/27/17 at 12:08pm

Just need to point out, for the sake of transparency, that "Birdie Boy" is Philly Pinto (Bean), who has been aggressively pushing this musical since its days at Papermill. So, I'd put little stock into his comments...  

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#103BANDSTAND Reviews
Posted: 4/27/17 at 12:17pm

Liza's Headband said: "Just need to point out, for the sake of transparency, that "Birdie Boy" is Philly Pinto (Bean), who has been aggressively pushing this musical since its days at Papermill. So, I'd put little stock into his comments...  

Yeah, he seems familiar and he has a lot of confidence for someone who just joined the boards.

VintageSnarker
#104BANDSTAND Reviews
Posted: 4/27/17 at 12:40pm

Liza's Headband said: "Just need to point out, for the sake of transparency, that "Birdie Boy" is Philly Pinto (Bean), who has been aggressively pushing this musical since its days at Papermill. So, I'd put little stock into his comments...  

I'd assumed so. If true, he's gotten better. 

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#105BANDSTAND Reviews
Posted: 4/27/17 at 1:09pm

This stick out to me in the Times review.

"In the style of recent revivals of 'Company' and 'Sweeney Todd,'the versatile actors play their instruments live, with the rest of the orchestra hidden in the pit."

Can we really call those John Doyle productions from over a decade ago recent? And those productions didn't have a pit band supporting them. Sounds more like how School of Rock has the kids playing live but also has a band to me. 

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#106BANDSTAND Reviews
Posted: 4/27/17 at 1:19pm

The new paradigm in casting shows is not about "accuracy," whether one likes it or not. 

I think I see what we have here. You are weighing job opportunities for non-white actors against historical accuracy. I have no knowledge myself of the problem how bad the discrepancy is between roles for whites and roles for non-whites. If the problem is as severe as you imply, then I would not have a problem with some casting liberties, at least in a show like this where most of the audience is not knowledgeable enough to know the difference.

You would be presenting the audience with a misleading view of segregation during that period.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#107BANDSTAND Reviews
Posted: 4/27/17 at 1:25pm

"You would be presenting the audience with a misleading view of segregation during that period."

Yes, that's true. But if the show doesn't address segregation in any way, then why make that a priority? Even the most recent revival of South Pacific included sailors of color, accurate or not. My point is, if the show isn't about resistance to diversity, then there's no good reason not to make your cast diverse.

There were no actors of color in Depression-era Warner Brothers musicals, but that doesn't mean actors of color are exempt from productions of 42nd Street or Dames At Sea. I doubt that there was much racial interaction in Yonkers at the turn of the century, but I'd be happy to see people of color in Hello, Dolly! And so on, and so forth.

Updated On: 4/27/17 at 01:25 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#108BANDSTAND Reviews
Posted: 4/27/17 at 1:34pm

If we are going to be doing works from or set in eras of segregation, then casting them in a way that would be historically accurate just perpetuates a lack of diversity on stage and creates a vicious cycle.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#109BANDSTAND Reviews
Posted: 4/27/17 at 1:36pm

Kad said: "If we are going to be doing works from or set in eras of segregation, then casting them in a way that would be historically accurate just perpetuates a lack of diversity on stage and creates a vicious cycle.

"

This! If this were the case, I would argue we should never do works that are set in this time period then. 

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#110BANDSTAND Reviews
Posted: 4/27/17 at 2:29pm

I haven't seen Bandstand and probably won't but it gives me a "Steel Pier" vibe which makes me totally uninterested.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#111BANDSTAND Reviews
Posted: 4/27/17 at 2:33pm

BuddyStarr said: "I haven't seen Bandstand and probably won't but it gives me a "Steel Pier" vibe which makes me totally uninterested.

"

Far better than Steel Pier...Andy's staging alone is worth seeing it.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#112BANDSTAND Reviews
Posted: 4/27/17 at 2:36pm

Newintown and others, were there any changes made to the circumstances of Pearl Bailey's Dolly production, given the all-African-American cast?

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#113BANDSTAND Reviews
Posted: 4/27/17 at 2:40pm

I've never heard of any changes made to either the text or score.

EDIT: it's discussed more in this thread: https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1065851

Updated On: 4/27/17 at 02:40 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#114BANDSTAND Reviews
Posted: 4/27/17 at 3:26pm

Laura Osnes may have just landed the 5th spot for Best Leading Actress...taking it away from Comet's Denee Benton!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Cfried
#115BANDSTAND Reviews
Posted: 4/27/17 at 4:55pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/articleamp.cfm?colid=1592102&ModPagespeed=off

Didn't see this before but BroadwayWorld gave it a rave. 

SporkGoddess
#116BANDSTAND Reviews
Posted: 4/27/17 at 5:50pm

From the NYT review:

"Romance, record sales and a savvy contracts lawyer can fix trauma? Someone tell the V.A."

I'm a PTSD therapist, and, actually, getting re-engaged back into activities that you previously enjoyed, as well as increasing social involvement, can be really helpful for PTSD.  Although I do get the point the critic is trying to make.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#117BANDSTAND Reviews
Posted: 4/30/17 at 3:08pm

"It wouldn't have killed them to cast some actors of color.It wouldn't have killed them to cast some actors of color."

There is an actor of color in the role of James Haupt, granted it is a minor role.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#118BANDSTAND Reviews
Posted: 4/30/17 at 3:17pm

"Truly! I'll be honest and say this show wasn't on my radar at all. These reviews are making me reconsider a lot..."

I saw it last night with my wife and we really enjoyed it. The music of that era is great and the actors are also pretty darn good musicians, The dancing by the ensemble is excellent. The crowd really liked the show and it got big standing ovation and not just from the people up front like my wife and I. 

chanel
#119BANDSTAND Reviews
Posted: 5/1/17 at 11:43am

"Not cheesy," but not good. An admirable flop. Scroll down to last reviews.

http://www.out.com/michael-musto/2017/5/01/barbara-streisand-dishes-way-we-were-star-born

BwayinVan
#120BANDSTAND Reviews
Posted: 5/2/17 at 12:14am

I saw the matinee this past Saturday and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I went into it with fairly low expectations but had been really wanting to see Laura Osnes and Corey Cott live but I actually came away with a smile on my face from an enjoyable afternoon at the theatre. Laura Osnes was really good and I definitely think she is in the running for a Tony Nom. Do I think she'll win? No but she is definitely the star of this show.

Corey Cott is a great leading man and sings and plays the piano with great charisma. That's one thing that stood out for me was the talent of the actors in the Donny Novo Band - they are all legit musicians playing live throughout the show. The only problem I had with this was that the singing was sometimes drowned out by the instruments on stage.

Is the book groundbreaking? No but I didn't really mind because everything else makes up for it. The ensemble are great dancers and work their butts off for the whole show. I've read a lot about people complaining about the set being closed off and too small at the beginning but I actually preferred it to when they opened it up toward the end of Act 2.

The crowd was an older crowd but the show was sold out and the whole place gave them a standing ovation at the end. I was sitting in the second row of the front mezzanine on the the right side about 5 seats in from the aisle. My seat was great and I had a full view of the whole stage.

It seemed like most of the cast came out at the stage door within 25 minutes including Laura and Corey.

Do I think this show will be on Broadway for years to come? No but I do think, and hope, it has a healthy run.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#121BANDSTAND Reviews
Posted: 5/2/17 at 7:39am

BwayinVan - Excellent review and I agree totally, saw it Saturday night. I believe it was sold out and the crowd was into the show. I don't expect much in Tony nominations, maybe one or two. (Choreography & Laura Osnes). I am hoping it can hang in there and run a couple of years because it is a good and enjoyable show.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#122BANDSTAND Reviews
Posted: 6/19/17 at 10:50am

For what it's worth, Lin-Manuel Miranda just posted a thread of tweets with a glowing recommendation of Bandstand. Hopefully, this kind of word-of-mouth, in addition to their great Tonys performance, will keep the show afloat. 

https://twitter.com/lin_manuel/status/876786868184006656

Updated On: 6/19/17 at 10:50 AM

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#123BANDSTAND Reviews
Posted: 6/19/17 at 10:55am

Sold out? Wow. My friends and I were planning to do TKTS to see it when we go up, but with all this attention, I'm starting to wonder whether we'd better buy in advance after all!

ntrackbar Profile Photo
ntrackbar
#124BANDSTAND Reviews
Posted: 6/19/17 at 10:57am

I would definitely buy in advance. There are discount codes out there - and the few bucks difference you would save at TKTS may not be worth potentially missing out. And...you don't have to stand in that awful line.

Videos