News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Fun home or an American in Paris?- Page 2

Fun home or an American in Paris?

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#25Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/13/15 at 1:04am

Something Rotten

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#26Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/13/15 at 7:16am

"Also, I will personally never forgive Craig Lucas if his movie-to-stage adaptation wins."

I think his libretto for AAIP has been pretty universally reviled. I was meh on it myself, despite loving most of the evening that was hung on it.

I expect best book AND best score will go to FUN HOME, with no argument from me.

But the show as a whole hits me differently. Much like the year RAGTIME won best book and score but the Best Director and Best Musical Tonys went to THE LION KING, I feel that's the way this year will roll as well.

Falling
#27Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/13/15 at 8:08am

As one who HATED Ragtime's original production, I honestly don't believe in awarding book and score to a single show and musical to another. (There is also a chance Sam Gold will win director. I just don't think it's right. That said, the Tony voters will probably give American best direction, choreography and musical. It doesn't DESERVE director or musical, IMO. Fun Home is a special show and the creatives took a big risk-and it paid off. The show is actually BETTER than it was. I wish it wasn't this bigger is better mentality. (Frankly, the gay subtext in American is rather offensive and I think the show is gaudy with lovely dancing but not much else.)

I think Fun Home will take book and score very easily, and likely a few other awards.

BdwyFan
#28Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/13/15 at 8:29am

Fun Home. Not only the most original musical, but it's the best one of the four nominated shows.  The best one. 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#29Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/13/15 at 9:07am

Here's how I view the horse race:

An American in Paris-It's that rare commercial hit with artistic integrity (just like The Lion King). It also announced a tour already. It would definitely sell better on the road than...

Fun Home-A show with artistic integrity that's starting to do good business at the box office not only thanks to the Tony nominations, but also due to the fact that it's in one of the smallest theatres on Broadway. I could definitely see it being difficult to tour since it does seem to be a tough sell to the general public. But seeing how the creative team was able to re-invent the staging from off-Broadway to Broadway, it would be pretty interesting to see what they would come up with for a tour.

Two of the last three winners for Best Musical were the more artistically crafted shows (Once and Gentleman's Guide) beating the more commercially viable ones (Newsies and Beautiful). It seems that Tony voters have recognized that the commercially viable shows are already gonna do great business on the road, that they don't really need the Best Musical Tony Award at all while the artistically crafted shows need the Tony more to stay alive.

So at this point, I'm gonna say Fun Home.

Updated On: 5/13/15 at 09:07 AM

budfrump Profile Photo
budfrump
#30Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/13/15 at 10:02am

It's just so difficult to choose a winner out of these two shows. They are both so different and so special. An American in Paris is big, and gorgeous and classic Broadway, and Christopher Wheeldon's direction and choreography is some of the best I've EVER SEEN. Fun Home on the other hand is a game-changer. It is completely original and intimate. I loved them both so much, and felt so much while watching them. I think that Fun Home is going to win due to the momentum it's gained this season and last season, but both deserve it. (and so do Something Rotten! and The Visit)

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#31Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/13/15 at 10:08am

Riedel is predicting AAIP, so I'm gonna say Fun Home will take the prize.

....but the world goes 'round

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#32Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/13/15 at 10:10am

Riedel is also not giving Fun Home the time of day what-so-ever. He only ever mentions it in passing.

I suspect he dislikes it but can't find any dirt to spin into drama.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 5/13/15 at 10:10 AM

aj88
#33Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/13/15 at 10:37am

"Riedel is also not giving Fun Home the time of day what-so-ever. He only ever mentions it in passing.
I suspect he dislikes it but can't find any dirt to spin into drama."

This is why it is so easy to discredit that man and why I think it is a shame that he is classified as a Theatre Columnist since he always openly admits he doesn't go to see everything and he ignores a lot of things, such as FUN HOME.

An American in Paris could very well take it, but I too am sticking with Fun Home at this time. 

I guess Something Rotten has an outside chance but I don't see The Visit pulling it off. This is easily the strongest musical lineup we've had in some time.

tgww19
#34Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/15/15 at 8:05pm

I think it’s definitely going to be a close race. And to some degree it is a shame there has to be one winner since both shows are so different.

Fun Home is often credited with being a game-changer in the world of musicals, and on many levels I agree. It certainly feels different than anything else … and originality in theatre deserves to be lauded. However, my main feeling after seeing Fun Home was that it felt more like a play than a musical. There weren’t any “hummable” tunes and I would be hard pressed to come up with a single melody from the show (two weeks later).

It was however, ridiculously well acted, and Judy Kuhn could sing the phone book and I’d pay to hear it. Still, I think if you took away the fact that it was about lesbians, the praise for the show as groundbreaking would diminish precipitously. I think it might even border on “emperor’s new clothes” territory. I can’t help but feel like so many critics confuse anything LGBT with avant garde.

Again … don’t get me wrong … it’s an extremely well acted show. There are more than a few scenes that are interesting. But dramatically? I couldn’t get past the fact that there was ZERO drama in the actual plot. The audience is told at the beginning of the play that the father is gay and kills himself because the daughter comes out. The entire play is just a description of how that happens.

And again … it’s incredibly well acted. If only this was nominated in the play category!

On the other hand, AAIP is a masterpiece. I think the easiest way to make my point is to list the obstacles that AAIP had to overcome (and did):

• No b’way celebrities or box office names in the cast yet they have outsold every new show. When’s the last time that happened … especially in a season with so many choices of quality. AAIP should be getting the kind of credit that Rent and Once received for casting unknowns and succeeding.

• Casting this huge show! Every member of the cast is a true triple threat (and one could argue that a few in the cast including Leanne Cope are quadruple threats … just ask any chorus gal what it’s like to do 8 shows a week on point)

• No original score … which everyone knows is a knock against it when it comes to the Tony race … yet they managed to make Gershwin seem modern and non-juke-boxy. Another way to make this point is that NONE of the criticism around this show has been about the score. The silence in this regard is the great unsung praise of this show!! How little in fact has been said about the fact that the creative team had the entire Gershwin catalogue at their disposal and were able to find a way to both honor what was in the movie but create something new.

• To re-write a story that honored an iconic movie yet somehow avoid comparisons (this alone is a ridiculously incredible feat). I mean, for God’s sake, this could have been a mine field of “he’s not Gene Kelly” or “she’s no Leslie Caron” or “how dare they try to remake an American classic.” None of that ! Huge!

• Lastly, Christopher Wheeldon has managed to bring back the idea that dance can be a narrative part of musical theatre … a la Agnes de Mille and Jerome Robbins. Anyone who cares about Broadway should recognized the immense contribution this show is making to the canon, and how this will probably light the fire of the next great director/choreographer sitting there today mesmerized by An American in Paris.

Jimbo2 Profile Photo
Jimbo2
#35Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/15/15 at 8:41pm

My vote is for Fun Home. I've seen it twice!

"If we don't wake up and shake the nation, we'll eat the dust of the world, wondering why...why?"

BrerBear Profile Photo
BrerBear
#36Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/15/15 at 8:43pm

Welcome to the board with your first post.

No b’way celebrities or box office names in the cast yet they have outsold every new show. When’s the last time that happened … especially in a season with so many choices of quality. AAIP should be getting the kind of credit that Rent and Once received for casting unknowns and succeeding.

Gershwin is the celebrity.

And the Best Picture-winning movie bearing the same name. 

Those are what sold this show.

Casting this huge show! Every member of the cast is a true triple threat (and one could argue that a few in the cast including Leanne Cope are quadruple threats … just ask any chorus gal what it’s like to do 8 shows a week on point)

The relative weakness in acting and singing has been a criticism of the show. The dance capabilities are not in doubt.

No original score … which everyone knows is a knock against it when it comes to the Tony race … yet they managed to make Gershwin seem modern and non-juke-boxy. Another way to make this point is that NONE of the criticism around this show has been about the score. The silence in this regard is the great unsung praise of this show!! How little in fact has been said about the fact that the creative team had the entire Gershwin catalogue at their disposal and were able to find a way to both honor what was in the movie but create something new.

This comment is just strange. The source material itself is downright non-juke-boxy. It isn't being drawn from multiple sources. That's not a praise, just a fact. Why would anyone expect there to be criticism around the show's use of old Gershwin tunes when it's the major selling point. Lack of criticism of this =/= unsung praise. WTF?

To re-write a story that honored an iconic movie yet somehow avoid comparisons (this alone is a ridiculously incredible feat). I mean, for God’s sake, this could have been a mine field of “he’s not Gene Kelly” or “she’s no Leslie Caron” or “how dare they try to remake an American classic.” None of that ! Huge!

Again, a very weird form of praise. The comparisons are everywhere. For example, the New York Times review of the show mentions comparisons to the movie repeatedly, including in the first paragraph. No one would dare to state that it is too daring to make a musical on an existing movie, because remaking movies is a mainstay of Broadway these days. WTF?

Lastly, Christopher Wheeldon has managed to bring back the idea that dance can be a narrative part of musical theatre … a la Agnes de Mille and Jerome Robbins. Anyone who cares about Broadway should recognized the immense contribution this show is making to the canon, and how this will probably light the fire of the next great director/choreographer sitting there today mesmerized by An American in Paris.

Are you actually suggesting that the idea of dance being a narrative part of musical theatre is something lost? Dance has been a continuous part of narrative in recent musical theatre.

So has shilling.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#37Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/15/15 at 8:43pm

I'm also pulling for Fun Home - probably the best musical I've seen this century so far. But Tony Awards won't really add or detract from that anyhow.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#38Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/15/15 at 9:00pm

No original score…which everyone knows is a knock against it when it comes to the Tony race…

Now should it really matter if a musical has an original score or not?

*Ain't Misbehavin', Jerome Robbins' Broadway, and Fosse were all revues.
*Cats may have had original music, but most of the lyrics weren't.
*The Lion King only had half original songs.
*Contact wasn't even a musical at all.
*Jersey Boys had no original songs in it at all.
*Once only had two original songs in it.

What do they all have in common? THEY STILL WON THE TONY FOR BEST MUSICAL!

Updated On: 5/15/15 at 09:00 PM

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#39Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/15/15 at 9:50pm

I have no doubt that An American In Paris is beautiful,  but I would MUCH rather see a completely original musical win.  Fun Home is expertly crafted and it's format is new and it works perfectly. 

AAIP is a glorified jukebox musical.  It should win choreography but Fun Home is something special. 

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#40Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/15/15 at 9:57pm

Anything gay related wins with me, to be honest.

Tony2600
#41Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/15/15 at 10:10pm

Although I found Fun Home a pretentious bore, and believe "Something Rotten" and "An American In Paris" are more deserving of the Tony, I’m pretty sure Fun Home will win. Fear not JoseLee, the “Kinky Boots” wing of voters will once again prevail. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#42Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/15/15 at 10:16pm

Fun home or an American in Paris?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#43Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/15/15 at 11:11pm

I remember reading an article in the NYT before the 2013 Tony's saying that it was between Matilda and Kinky Boots. Both got great reviews but they said that Kinky Boots would most likely take the prize due to the whole subject matter of the show. Fun Home will probably benefit from that this year. 

Updated On: 5/15/15 at 11:11 PM

jcitybone
#44Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/16/15 at 12:07am

Loved Fun Home. I can't imagine a better production of this musical. If it wins best score and book, how can it not win best musical?

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#45Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/16/15 at 12:29am

Having just returned home from AAIP tonight all I can say is I'm speechless.  What an exquisite experience.  I actually had chills and tears during many of the numbers.  It's just an outstanding production.  I will see the King and I tomorrow night, something I've been looking forward to for weeks.  however, after seeing AAIP tonight, I almost feel that it could wind up being a disappointment.  

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#46Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/17/15 at 8:46pm

An American in Paris just won the Drama League award for Best New Musical.  For whatever that is worth as a progrosticator of the Tony Award.  

nxt2bridges
#47Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/17/15 at 9:21pm

"An American in Paris just won the Drama League award for Best New Musical.  For whatever that is worth as a progrosticator of the Tony Award.  "

I believe that has not so much to do with the superiority of AIP and everything to with the fact that they combined Broadway and off Broadway shows, putting Hamilton and Fun Home in the same category. My verdict is that Hamilton and Fun Home Split the vote, and AIP was the 3rd best. Therefore, since Hamilton is not in contention for the Tonys, Fun Home should win.

Updated On: 5/17/15 at 09:21 PM

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#48Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/17/15 at 9:32pm

Keep in mind, guys: The reason why Fun Home isn't nominated for anything except for the Tonys is because they ran for everything else, last year. If they were eligible for running again since they're on Broadway, it would have been a different ballgame. So, FH could still take the Tony. AiP happens to be very lucky that FH isn't eligible for other awards.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#49Fun home or an American in Paris?
Posted: 5/17/15 at 9:34pm

This could possibly end up being similar to the 2004 Tony race where Wicked won every single precursor prize for Best Musical until Avenue Q pulled the upset for Best Musical.

Videos