News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL Starting 9/6; Beanie Feldstein Departing 7/31- Page 2

Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL Starting 9/6; Beanie Feldstein Departing 7/31

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#25Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/10/22 at 7:31pm

By “different direction,” she means they cast a replacement to start ASAP and not in September when she was scheduled to leave. Big yikes.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#26Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)

We probably WILL see Beanie on Broadway again. It’ll be a few years. In a play or a supporting role or something more vocally-suitable for her. And Sonia Friedman will have nothing to do with it. 

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#27Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)

ACL2006 said: "She was upset she didn't get good reviews or a Tony nomination and negotiated to leave in September. Now she knows her standby and u/s are getting better reviews then her and essentially gives her two week notice. Talk about being entitled."

She told you all that, did she?

(and before anyone comes for me, I haven’t seen the show, nor do I particularly care to. Some of the nasty comments on here are just blowing my mind). 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

Penna2
#28Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/10/22 at 7:32pm

I've been predicting mid-July for a couple of months now - a couple weeks off. It was forgone that the show wasn't what she hoped. Everyone knew the first time she went on stage. Most here would agree. The critics only confirmed that.

As for Beanie bashing. Anyone with eyes and ears knew she wasn't right for the part. Too bad, they were stuck with a commitment (for whatever reason). 

Fingers crossed for Julie, but if it's Lea, I'm sure the show will benefit from the change.

soxboy22
#29Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/10/22 at 7:34pm

People are often told we’re “going in a different direction” upon being fired, though I thought that was not a possibility in her case.

Penna2
#30Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/10/22 at 7:35pm

KateLondon8 said: "I haven’t seen the show since opening, what different direction?"

Maybe actually having a lead who can play and sing the part?

Jg2019
#31Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)

Lea has a mini tour for august, so we’ll see!

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#32Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)

Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#33Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/10/22 at 7:36pm

KateLondon8 said: "I haven’t seen the show since opening, what different direction?"

Talent, baby. 

Penna2
#34Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/10/22 at 7:36pm

starcatchers said: "ACL2006 said: "She was upset she didn't get good reviews or a Tony nomination and negotiated to leave in September. Now she knows her standby and u/s are getting better reviews then her and essentially gives her two week notice. Talk about being entitled."

(and before anyone comes for me, I haven’t seen the show, nor do I particularly care to. Some of the nasty comments on here are just blowing my mind).
"

Not coming for you at all, but if you saw the show, you would understand.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#35Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/10/22 at 7:37pm

Honestly, I wouldn't blame her for wanting out. She was cast in the show initially on her name and the producers knew she lacked in the vocals department significantly and could never mold her into the actress they wanted her to be and seemingly never really told her or negotiated an exit for her before the show began and allowed her to embarrass herself on a world stage. I wouldn't want to stick around either. I would wish Julie the absolute best filling in in the interim and then proceed to avoid these producers for the rest of my life. They propped her up to knowingly fall back down.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#36Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/10/22 at 7:38pm

starcatchers said: "ACL2006 said: "She was upset she didn't get good reviews or a Tony nomination and negotiated to leave in September. Now she knows her standby and u/s are getting better reviews then her and essentially gives her two week notice. Talk about being entitled."

"

Do you honestly think she was quietly pulled aside and asked to leave? From the same producers who gave her the role without an audition? She got fired because her standby and u/s are better than her and she's an entitled brat who can't handle negative criticism.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Penna2
#37Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/10/22 at 7:40pm

Bill Snibson said: "Wow! Anyone wanna weigh-in on what exactly “the production has decided to take the show in a different direction” means? Odd to me. I can’t imagine the producers or creatives suddenly wanted her to change her performance for some new vision."

Julie's interpretation (and Ephie's, as I understand) is more about Fanny than Beanie and her type of comedy. They are also looking for a true singer, not someone who can kind of sing. 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#38Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)

She seems irritated that the production dared to search publicly for her replacement. As if she’d coast along and the show would announce the new Fanny the week of her departure. Or something. The economics of Broadway - tickets must be sold to a consumer based audience - seem to elude her. If a new narrative might’ve coalesced - that she was chased out of her dream role - it’s erased by this solipsistic view of the industry. In 2022, this isn’t the victim card to play.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

akhoya87
#39Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)

I feel bad for Beanie.  I didn't like her as Fanny for the reasons other folks have pointed out (mostly, the singing), but it does seem like she's getting unceremoniously shoved aside to fulfill the Prophecy of Glee.  

I bought tickets to see Julie Benko in late August (to see if her performance changes my mind about this show), and I hope they let her keep those dates.  

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#40Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/10/22 at 7:41pm

TheatreFan4 said: "Honestly, I wouldn't blame her for wanting out. She was cast in the show initially on her name and the producers knew she lacked in the vocals department significantly and could never mold her into the actress they wanted her to be and seemingly never really told her or negotiated an exit for her before the show began and allowed her to embarrass herself on a world stage. I wouldn't want to stick around either. I would wish Julie the absolute best filling in in the interim and then proceed to avoid these producers for the rest of my life. They propped her up to knowingly fall back down."

This is how I feel as well. 

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#41Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/10/22 at 7:43pm

I shouldn’t be surprised but somehow I’m still surprised. This has been a wild ride.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#42Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/10/22 at 7:44pm

It’s definitely unusual for a star to release a statement (probably through a publicist) with even s as suggestion of unhappiness. So, there is definitely a story here. 

Perhaps they’re going to go back in and work on the show when they put In the new lead (likely Lea, come on, with no one putting out a denial)? But Mayer has Beautiful Noise. Trying to think what a “new direction” is besides casting. And of course they’re recasting when she leaves, so how could it rise to this acrimony? 

¿Macavity?
#43Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/10/22 at 7:44pm

ElephantLoveMedley said: "Mr. Wormwood said: "Wow. Her phrasing is very interesting too about the show going in a "different direction." Obviously some bad blood."

A shockingly unprofessional and unclassy look to blame it on the production. Even though I didn't love Beanie's performance, I have been one of her staunchest defenders on here. I've felt like the criticisms of her have gone significantly overboard since previews began in March. However, choosing this tune of the "blame game" on your way out of the show is defenseless to me. I'm disappointed in her.
"

?

What about that message seemed to blame the production? It's phrased like a mutual parting; nothing unprofessional about it. I stopped following this show during previews because of the nastiness, so forgive me if I'm missing something tea-wise, but I don't get the "shockingly unprofessional and unclassy" claim.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#44Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/10/22 at 7:45pm

The real question is.......what will they do with all that merch?!

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#45Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/10/22 at 7:46pm

I’m curious as to whether they will decide on Julie covering the role until September when Lea Michele, or whoever the intended replacement will be, can officially begin on the originally planned date.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#46Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/10/22 at 7:47pm

The statement does read like it’s blaming the production but fails to specify what exactly the “new direction” is. If it’s casting her replacement then that has zero impact on her time there so leaving early because of what will happen with the show in the future when she’s gone, makes no sense at all. 

Penna2
#47Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/10/22 at 7:50pm

Auggie27 said: "She seems irritated that the production dared to search publicly for her replacement. As if she’d coast along and the show would announce the new Fanny the week of her departure. Or something. The economics of Broadway - tickets must be sold to a consumer based audience - seem to elude her. If a new narrative might’ve coalesced - that she was chased out of her dream role - it’s erased by this solipsistic view of the industry. In 2022, this isn’t the victim card to play."

All goes back to how she was raised and how this all came about to begin with. Broadway isn't Hollywood - thank goodness, there is still some consideration of what works and what doesn't. You have to have the stuff to get out there 8 times a week, in person, no "cut, let's do that again," real people watching you and giving thumbs up or thumbs down.

In other words, real life. 

soxboy22
#48Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/10/22 at 7:51pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "Did not see that coming. Could this be the last time we see Beanie on Broadway? Also, people need to stop bashing Beanie. People can have their opinions about her performance, but they don't need to be rude about it. I still thought she was a great Fanny Brice and she is very talented overall! I Hope Beanie is well and I wish her the best in the future."

Not bashing Beanie for her performance, but for her announcement. 

Broadway doesn’t go for whiners and losers.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#49Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/10/22 at 7:52pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "I’m curious as to whether they will decide on Julie covering the role until September when Lea Michele, or whoever the intended replacement will be, can officially begin on the originally planned date."

Julie should definitely get the role full-time for 2 months or so. I can't imagine the show shutting down until Lea or another name enters the show.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Videos