News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

OUR TOWN 2024 Broadway Reviews- Page 2

OUR TOWN 2024 Broadway Reviews

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#25OUR TOWN 2024 Broadway Reviews
Posted: 10/11/24 at 11:06am

At least at this point, the Lead Actor in a Play field feels a bit less competitive than in most years. So Parsons actually does look good for a Tony nomination. 

Cole Escola and Denzel Washington will probably join him. Other eligible folks are Kit Conner, George Clooney, Robert Downey Jr, Peter Friedman, Peter Gallagher, Daniel Dae Kim, maybe someone from Stranger Things or Purpose (don't really know the structure of those plays), and maybe John Mulaney (unclear if he is lead, or the whole cast goes featured). The characters from Glengarry have historically all gone featured I believe. Out of this field, I think Parsons gets in fairly easily.

I expected this show to get mostly B or C grades, so the Times Critics pick is surprising and lucky for them. Hopefully they can use that to overshadow the negative and middling reviews elsewhere. Anecdotally, plenty of industry folks have walked out feeling rather "meh" about this production.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#26OUR TOWN 2024 Broadway Reviews
Posted: 10/11/24 at 11:10am

Mark Gatiss will also be a big player for Motive And The Cue (which hasn't been announced but is expected). And who knows what else is in the pipeline for this spring.

JSquared2
#27OUR TOWN 2024 Broadway Reviews
Posted: 10/11/24 at 11:31am

MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "At least at this point, the Lead Actor in a Play field feels a bit less competitive than in most years. So Parsons actually does look good for a Tony nomination.

Cole Escola andDenzel Washington will probably join him. Other eligible folks are Kit Conner, George Clooney, Robert Downey Jr, Peter Friedman, Peter Gallagher, Daniel Dae Kim, maybe someone from Stranger Things or Purpose (don't really know the structure of those plays), and maybe John Mulaney (unclear if he is lead, or the whole cast goes featured). The characters from Glengarry have historically all gone featured I believe. Out of this field, I think Parsons gets in fairly easily.

There's also Jake Gyllenhaal -- who I'd imagine would be in the Lead category (unless they petition for him to be in Featured Actor).

Markie27 Profile Photo
Markie27
#28OUR TOWN 2024 Broadway Reviews
Posted: 10/11/24 at 11:45am

Oh I think you can count out RDJ.  I’m not that impressed with his work on an ok show.  Plus it would have ended before Christmas I’m guessing he would be forgotten come Tony month.  I haven’t yet watched Our Town but I do hope Jim would be memorable enough to clinch that nomination.  But then again you can’t underestimate the star power of RDJ…. But… then again (whew I’m already contradicting myself so many times now!) Tony voters doesn’t usually get swayed with A Listers doing Broadway. (Julia Roberts, Cate Blanchette to name a few)

Fordham2015
#29OUR TOWN 2024 Broadway Reviews
Posted: 10/11/24 at 12:08pm

Markie27 said: "Oh I think you can count out RDJ. I’m not that impressed with his work on an ok show. Plus it would have ended before Christmas I’m guessing he would be forgotten come Tony month. I haven’t yet watched Our Town but I do hope Jim would be memorable enough to clinch that nomination. But then again you can’t underestimate the star power of RDJ…. But… then again (whew I’m already contradicting myself so many times now!) Tony voters doesn’t usually get swayed with A Listers doing Broadway. (Julia Roberts, Cate Blanchetteto name a few)"

Blanchett got nominated for The Present

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#30OUR TOWN 2024 Broadway Reviews
Posted: 10/11/24 at 12:18pm

At this point, I just need Daniel Dae Kim to be remembered come Tony time. I can't stop thinking about that play.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#31OUR TOWN 2024 Broadway Reviews
Posted: 10/11/24 at 12:53pm

I thought I was missing something when people tried explaining how this production is actually “different”, or “For Our Time”…

Judging by these reviews, I wasn’t. They made intentional diverse casting choices, and there’s questionable costuming. That’s about it. 

Was actually looking forward to a reimagining/book adjustments/more of an actual update of some kind (for it to be marketed as “For Our Time”), as someone who played George in a regional production twenty years ago and holds the show close to my heart. It was one of my favorite play discoveries in acting school. Bummer. Seems like a bit of a wasted opportunity, but maybe the next revival will do something interesting. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#32OUR TOWN 2024 Broadway Reviews
Posted: 10/11/24 at 12:54pm

Yes, of course we can count out RDJ. That play is abysmal. We can likely count out a few people from the names above. I was merely listing folks who would be eligible in the category to give a view of the entire field, not people I predicted would be nominated.

Fordham2015
#33OUR TOWN 2024 Broadway Reviews
Posted: 10/11/24 at 1:06pm

I mean, RDJ was the only Oscar nomination for Tropic Thunder and the only Emmy nomination for The Sympathizer. Admittedly I liked the play more than most (and it's a long season) but I wouldn't be totally surprised if he got nominated 

Ensemble1728379893
#34OUR TOWN 2024 Broadway Reviews
Posted: 10/11/24 at 1:14pm

In response to Jordan Catalano and Yellow Face mention:

I hope so. I am afraid that it would have been better for them if it had opened closer to Tony deadline, but...

I think the play, Kim, and both Ryan Eggold and Francis Jue are all worthy of a nomination. 

Updated On: 10/11/24 at 01:14 PM

KevinKlawitter
#35OUR TOWN 2024 Broadway Reviews
Posted: 10/11/24 at 2:15pm

Fordham2015 said: "I mean, RDJ was the only Oscar nomination for Tropic Thunder and the only Emmy nomination for The Sympathizer. Admittedly I liked the play more than most (and it's a long season) but I wouldn't be totally surprised if he got nominated"

Also, while the play was largely trashed, Downey's performance was not. It could be a situation not dissimilar to Rami Malek winning the Best Actor Oscar for Bohemian Rhapsody in part because he was seen as holding together an infamously messy production.

Jarethan
#36OUR TOWN 2024 Broadway Reviews
Posted: 10/11/24 at 2:23pm

JSquared2 said: "MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "At least at this point, the Lead Actor in a Play field feels a bit less competitive than in most years. So Parsons actually does look good for a Tony nomination.

Cole Escola andDenzel Washington will probably join him. Other eligible folks are Kit Conner, George Clooney, Robert Downey Jr, Peter Friedman, Peter Gallagher, Daniel Dae Kim, maybe someone from Stranger Things or Purpose (don't really know the structure of those plays), and maybe John Mulaney (unclear if he is lead, or the whole cast goes featured). The characters from Glengarry have historically all gone featured I believe. Out of this field, I think Parsons gets in fairly easily.

There's also Jake Gyllenhaal -- who I'd imagine would be in the Lead category (unless they petition for him to be in Featured Actor).

There are a lot of critics who think Iago is the juicier role.  In the last production of Othello I can remember, Christopher Plummer received a Tony nomination for his Iago, while James Earl Jones did not for his Othello.  I seem to remember that that was not a highly praised production.

Based on roles, if they are actually really good, I would think that Clooney, Washington and Gyllenhaal will be tough competition for a nomination.  I have not yet seen Oh! Mary!, so I have no idea re Escola…Will he be recognized for play or for both?  IMO Kim got better reviews than Parsons and would be in the running.  That said, it is mid-October. 

Will The Motive and the Cue Come Over?  How many productions that we.don’t even know about will open and their leading man be outstanding?

I am guessing that by May Parsons will not be remembered.

Updated On: 10/11/24 at 02:23 PM

JSquared2
#37OUR TOWN 2024 Broadway Reviews
Posted: 10/11/24 at 2:42pm

MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "Yes, of course we can count out RDJ. That play is abysmal. We can likely count out a few people from the names above. I was merely listing folks who would be eligible in the category to give a view of the entire field, not people I predicted would be nominated."

Never count out RDJ.

BETTY22
#38OUR TOWN 2024 Broadway Reviews
Posted: 10/11/24 at 4:18pm

I loved this production......and what a joy to see this play again. 

chrishuyen
#39OUR TOWN 2024 Broadway Reviews
Posted: 10/16/24 at 10:32pm

I saw this tonight, going in essentially blind (I've never read or seen the play and only really knew it was about two families).  On the whole I enjoyed it and found it rather charming for a lot of the duration, but I was puzzled by the ending.  I thought the third act conceptually was pretty interesting, but it just seemed to end rather abruptly.  And while I wouldn't say the pacing of the show overall was rushed, it did feel rather brisk.  But not knowing the play at all, I'm not sure how much of that is inherent in the play itself and how much of that is Kenny Leon's direction.

I rather enjoyed Jim Parsons in this, a lot more than in Mother Play especially.  I thought he had a great energy as the Stage Manager and it was even just interesting to watch him watching the scenes play out.  Ephraim Sykes, Katie Holmes, and Julie Halston were other standout actors for me but I wouldn't really say there's a weak link anywhere (I found John McGinty a bit hard to understand but most of it could be figured out).

I was pretty surprised at how quickly the play flew by, especially since it didn't feel like "gripping drama" in the same way something like Hills of California did.  But whenever the Stage Manager announced the ends of the acts, it seemed like both he and the audience were confused as to whether there should be applause there, and like I said, the ending felt pretty abrupt.  Maybe it was just that Jim Parsons didn't deliver the last lines with a tone of finality that I was expecting, but I thought there might be something more conclusive, especially since people had mentioned how emotionally moved they were by other productions.  It's probably part of the pacing, but I felt like I never truly got invested in the idea of this town enough to feel anything really (though the briskness does demonstrate some of the larger themes discussed in the show, but I guess the tradeoff is just how it feels for the audience).

That said, I liked the general use of music in this show (not sure how much of the diegetic music is usually in the show), and I thought the set, lighting and sound design were all wonderfully done, though I'm not convinced that the onstage seating adds much of anything.

I got a lottery ticket which was row D front mezz all the way on the left.  It wasn't a huge issue but some scenes in the Gibbs house were blocked a little by the box and the lights hanging from it.

Latest Posts

Videos