News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread- Page 28

Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread

Gpvegas
#6758 pm show 4/22/15
Posted: 4/22/15 at 1:56pm

I was there as well. I have seen JMC several times and by far last night was not a good not for him. He was over reaching when singing a lot of the songs. I am not quite sure what he was trying to do in some of them. He was much more frantic then usual and was putting his knee to quite the test. I wouldn't be surprised if he hurts it again before Sunday. Also, you were way to kind on Rebecca she is not good in this role. Her portrayal is just not strong enough and her singing especially last night was weak a shrill if you as me. Not a good replacement at all. I am not sure if the pairing of her and Darren is going to work. I guess we will see. I am a big JCM fan but I think is ready for this run to be done. Seems tired and rushing to get to the end.

timisimaginary
#6768 pm show 4/22/15
Posted: 4/22/15 at 4:57pm

everybody has an off night. he's been fantastic the 4 times i've seen him and i'm sure he will be again when i see him for the last time on sunday. plus, last night was his birthday. maybe he was trying a little too hard? (or maybe he started his birthday celebration a bit too early?)

i'm glad to hear he's moving around more though. i heard an interview with him last week where he said his knee is basically fully healed but he's been keeping the brace on because he likes the show better that way. but it's his final week so maybe now he's letting go a bit more, testing it out to see how far he can push it for his final shows. i never got to see him pre-injury so i'm hoping for a bit more dancing and mobility in his last show. there's nothing to lose by that point.

Updated On: 4/22/15 at 04:57 PM

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#6778 pm show 4/22/15
Posted: 4/24/15 at 1:45pm

Do you think he will have his brace off for the last show?

timisimaginary
#6788 pm show 4/22/15
Posted: 4/24/15 at 2:30pm

no, the whole show now is built around his brace. even though he may not need it now, it will be there for the various jokes and bits that they've incorporated into the show based on it. he is able to display a surprising amount of mobility and flexibility with it on, though.

mariel9 Profile Photo
mariel9
#679Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/26/15 at 10:07am

Every time I've seen JCM he bares his soul on stage for us. It's a beautiful and extraordinary thing to witness, and I'm lucky to have had the chance to see it. I'm not ready for tonight. 

Hest882 Profile Photo
Hest882
#680Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/26/15 at 4:21pm

I finally got to see this Friday night. Since I don't live in NY I can't compare it to any of his prior performances of the last few months, so I have no idea if JCM was off or not. For me, it was a transcendent experience and I was thrilled to have finally seen him play Hedwig on stage.

mfaye9
#681Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/26/15 at 10:42pm

I'll bite and post my thoughts about tonight. I'm writing this for personal reference as much as anything else, so I apologize in advance for any rambling. 

Tonight was amazing. From the moment I walked in there was a really high excitement level and I could tell that everyone really, really wanted to be there and that was really cool. I must have seen a good 10 people dressed as Hedwig.

When Tits of Clay and RNJ walked on at the start there was thunderous applause. When Yitzhak said "Ladies and Gentlemen" everyone stood up and we didn't sit back down until after TEAR ME DOWN. It was loud, everyone was sinning along and it was just perfect. There was a good two minutes of applause afterwards.

The show went on with some random bursts of clapping and a lot of laughing. By the time we got to SUGAR DADDY everyone was up again. When it got to the carwash JCM actually had to push someone down into their seat so he could carwash them. Needless to say, there was a lot of applause after that as well. 

The absolute highlight of the night though was ANGRY INCH. JCM crowd-surfed. He made his way into the audience and made it about halfway through the orchestra then back. It was once again a sing-a-long and so incredible.

Speaking of sing-a-long, during WIAB, JCM just said "You know what to do" instead of telling us to sing along. I know i’m beginning to sound like a broken record, but the crowd was really into that as well. 

Skipping ahead to Midnight Radio, over lots of improv and funny moments from JCM, when JCM sand “hold on to each other” the whole theatre held the hands of the people next to them and the whole entire theatre swayed in unison. It was one of, if not the coolest moment I have ever had in a theatre. 

After the show, Stephen Trask came on stage and played piano while JCM sang Lou Reed’s Satellite of Love.”

Overall, tonight was everything I wanted it to be and so, so much more.

P.S Rebecca Naomi Jones did a great job!

P.P.S Darren Criss was there

P.P.P.S Matthew Broderick and Sarah Jessica Parker were there too, and SJP looked really uncomfortable the whole time

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#682Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/26/15 at 11:02pm

I was up in the mezzanine where it thankfully was not a sing-along, but JCM was amazing. Every moment was turned up a notch, and the moment when he stepped into the audience during "Angry Inch" was as surprising and thrilling a thing as I've ever experienced in the theater. I've gotten to see him 5 times and each time has brought something to light about this piece that I never noticed before, even though I pretty much know it backwards and forwards. 

Rebecca Naomi Jones was an excellent Yitzhak; she played it much sadder than Lena Hall, and made the brilliant choice of singing "The Long Grift" to/about Hedwig. Her vocals are killer and she looks great in her finale outfit. 

RussT2
#683Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/26/15 at 11:20pm

P.P.P.S Matthew Broderick and Sarah Jessica Parker were there too, and SJP looked really uncomfortable the whole time
 "

Tonight was mind blowing. Earth shattering. The sound of the cheering was almost deafening. So glad I got tickets for JCM's final show. It was a performance I'll never forget. I saw his last Jane Street performance, and now this one. Luckily I was able to get myself and the bf backstage for the afterparty. Met Darren Criss (he's tiny), talk to Trask, drink a beer. Shmooze a bit.

On and one other thing. My bf and I sat behind SJP and Matthew and they LOVED the show. They were laughing and giggling the whole time. She was even doing the "lift up your hands" part during Midnight Radio.

FindingNamo
#684Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/26/15 at 11:52pm

I heard she was uncomfortable.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#685Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/27/15 at 7:35am

Partial recording of Satellite of Love on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGF94s2Pj4E

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#686Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/27/15 at 12:38pm

After last night, I dont think any viewing of Hedwig will ever measure up.

Seriously, I'd hate to be Darren Criss right now because that's a tough f*in act to follow

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

mfaye9
#687Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/27/15 at 12:55pm

Stephen Trask just posted the end of TEAR ME DOWN on Youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB-mBvRwXsE&feature=youtu.be

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#688Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/27/15 at 12:58pm

Final curtain call for JCM

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#689Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/27/15 at 1:05pm

JCM is getting a special TONY!!! YAY!!!

http://www.tonyawards.com/en_US/news/articles/2015-04-27/201504271430148958841.html

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

rjm516
#690Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/27/15 at 1:05pm

^ Was just going to share! I didn't even get to see him but even so I SHRIEKED with joy! 

RussT2
#691Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/27/15 at 1:08pm

Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread

Darren is really excited to start in the show. He's not hard on the eyes either! Took this backstage last night after JCM's final show.

Alix Profile Photo
Alix
#692Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/27/15 at 7:59pm

I was there last night and it was magical. So very grateful (crateful?) that this run happened. And the news of John's special Tony this morning was just too much. So very well deserved. "Tony-winner John Cameron Mitchell" sure has a nice ring to it.

timisimaginary
#693Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/28/15 at 5:28pm

i'm still on a high from sunday night. there are no words to fully describe the experience of the past 2 months for me, from my first JCM show the week he came back from his injury, to this past sunday night. i hope he was able to fully soak in and revel in all the love being thrown his way that night.

after seeing the film 14 years ago, i felt like i would have been satisfied just to hear him sing these songs live as himself. i never dared to dream for more, even when the show came to broadway. and i would have been satisfied with that, but only because i wouldn't have known what i was missing. to experience the one true Hedwig, in the flesh, singing these songs, saying these lines, embodying the character so fully again was a dream come true.... and to get carwashed, spanked, spit upon, hugged, and dry-humped on stage by the amazing, Tony-award winning John Cameron Mitchell, those are memories i'll cherish for a lifetime.

RussT2
#694Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/28/15 at 7:54pm

" and to get carwashed, spanked, spit upon, hugged, and dry-humped on stage by the amazing, Tony-award winning John Cameron Mitchell, those are memories i'll cherish for a lifetime."

Were you the guy John invited up onstage and said you looked like someone from The Addams Family?

madela2
#695Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/28/15 at 8:24pm

^Tim from the Grindr bit! Hey, Tim! You were great!

I am still processing Sunday night as well. It was probably the best night of my life. The room was so full of love and positivity. Absolutely surreal.

We completely broke the bank and got third row center seats and it was absolutely worth it to see the joy on John's face as we all held our hands together during Midnight Radio. I have been replaying everything in my head since then. I can not get over it.

Super thankful to the person on twitter who posted pictures of the crowd surfing. That was crazy awesome to watch go past me.

Definitely memories to hold on to for a lifetime.

Yay for John getting his tony!!!

Updated On: 4/28/15 at 08:24 PM

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#696Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/28/15 at 9:17pm

David Binder was sitting across the aisle from me on Sunday night and I still have his face when we were all holding hands during "Midnight Radio" engrained in my head. Such a powerful, beautiful moment in a night full of them.

Crateful Profile Photo
Crateful
#697Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/28/15 at 10:47pm

In the 19 years I've been seeing Broadway shows, I've never EVER experienced anything as special as Sunday night.  Holding hands with total strangers.  Some crazy dude giving me a huge Sugar Daddy before the show to wave around.  The nonstop screaming and standing ovations.  The Lou Reed encore.  If this is the memory of live theatre that I keep at the forefront of my brain and heart for the rest of my entire life, I will be happy.

timisimaginary
#698Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/28/15 at 10:47pm

"
Were you the guy John invited up onstage and said you looked like someone from The Addams Family?
 "

^Tim from the Grindr bit! Hey, Tim! You were great!

thank you! yes that was me. i prefer to think of it as my "menses fair" look.

definitely a thrill and an honor. my broadway debut, though i'm assured of an even shorter run than "hurt locker: the musical"

Crateful Profile Photo
Crateful
#699Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/28/15 at 10:52pm

Grindr Tim!  You were great!  "I believe in JCM!"  (So do we, Tim, so do we.)

Videos