News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024- Page 3

THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#50THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 9/5/24 at 10:11am

It’s all case by case. Usually principals are bound by a one-year contract. Most producers refuse to let actors out of a contract as it requires extra expenses to rehearse and put in new actors. But letting an actor out for another job can help stay in an actor or agent’s good graces. If you let one leave, others will follow.

There could also be concessions: A buyout agreement with the Moulin (and Gypsy?) producers, or a requirement that departing actors drop to minimum scale salary for 4-8 weeks prior to departure (not that these people are making a ton more than minimum to begin with, but every dollar helps).

Updated On: 9/5/24 at 10:11 AM

60'splayoff Profile Photo
60'splayoff
#51THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 9/5/24 at 10:11am

Broadway Flash said: "Why is this allowed?? Why would they let everyone jump ship at the end?"

Get a grip. He seems like a nice kid who cares a lot about his current project. To assume no thought went into this and he's "jumping ship" is ludicrous. Like Dylan Smith4 said, it's about working and to leave a show 2 months early to secure a paycheck for the next 6 months to a year (not to mention bring a role that he did on tour to Broadway) should certainly be "allowed".

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#52THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 9/5/24 at 10:41am

Per his Insta story, Cardoza said his final performance date “will be shared shortly once the company is prepared to make that information available.”

Oh look, a bibu!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#53THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 9/5/24 at 11:03am

Is Liam Oh available? They could bump Carson Stewart up to younger Noah and bring back Liam as Fin/Johnny to finish out the run.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

pablitonizer
#54THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 9/5/24 at 11:09am

Broadway Flash said: "Why is this allowed?? Why would they let everyone jump ship at the end?"

I don't think The Notebook is actually closing in December. I feel It's closing in a much sooner date and so Cardoza made official his departure. The musical is already a sinking ship so it's allowed for cast members to find other jobs 

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#55THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 9/5/24 at 11:47am

I think an earlier closing date is imminent. With John leaving early, and potentially Joy as well, it’ll cost quite a bit of money to bring in temporary swings that allow other cast members to move up to principal status. The December closing date was likely to see if any kind of bump in their sales occurred. Even if it does, I don’t imagine it’ll be enough to merit another 3 months.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#56THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 9/5/24 at 12:08pm

I'd be surprised if they moved up the closing date, especially with the weird specificity of December 15 (not a time when most shows close). Kevin McCollum's track record of late might not be amazing, but he's been doing this a long time and it's never a great look to announce one early-closing date and then move it up shortly after. He and his GM have financial projections and a sense of what this show will cost to run and could stand to make between now and mid Dec. I doubt they were expecting a massive bump in sales with 3.5 months notice before closing.

Closing was also announced a mere 6 days ago. It's not like this Moulin opportunity suddenly emerged in the time since then: it's probably been in the works for a month+.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#57THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 9/5/24 at 12:22pm

I mean it is not an out of left field thing. I’m sure it’s a giant pay bump because it’s a lead role, so the out isn’t surprising. Everyone in the industry knew it was going to close sooner rather than later, so I’m sure all of it was in the works for awhile. It’s a business. This things happen. 

Fosse76
#58THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 9/5/24 at 2:40pm

While it's true that Broadway contracts are typically 1 year, that clock generally starts on the first day of rehearsal, not the first performance. 

McCollum is refusing to close the show. Dec. 15 is the latest it can close in order to turnaround the theater for its next tenant. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#59THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 9/6/24 at 11:19am

Cardoza and Jordan Tyson will play their final performance on October 6. I’d like to see Charlie Webb and Juliette Ojeda get promoted to full-time principals. 

The rumor going around is that Tyson is leaving early for Gypsy! :)

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 9/6/24 at 11:19 AM

Alex Kulak2
#60THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 9/6/24 at 11:45am

Fosse76 said: "While it's true that Broadway contracts are typically 1 year, that clock generally starts on the first day of rehearsal, not the first performance.

McCollum is refusing to close the show. Dec. 15 is the latest it can close in order to turnaround the theater for its next tenant.
"

Word on the street is that he's using the show as a tax write-off for Mrs. Doubtfire, which has been making bank on the road.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#61THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 9/6/24 at 12:08pm

Alex Kulak2 said: "Word on the street is that he's using the show as a tax write-off forMrs. Doubtfire, which has been making bank on the road."

Forgive my ignorance, but how can a tax write-off ever really be a money-making (or -saving) proposition? Tax deductions for average people never exceed the loss or expenditure incurred, and are usually quite a bit less than that. Is there ever really a situation where you lose a sum of money on a show (or any other venture) and receive a big enough tax benefit that you end up ahead?

Alex Kulak2
#62THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 9/6/24 at 12:29pm

my guess is that between the money earned from Doubtfire, and the money lost on Notebook, it's about a wash. This way, his tax burden will be lower, and he gets to build buzz for the Notebook tour, which will likely do very well on the road (much like Doubtfire did)

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#63THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 9/6/24 at 12:43pm

I'm always deeply skeptical about any tax writeoff claims within the world of theatre.

With that said, we can safely assume that McCollum or someone is putting up extra funds (in the form of a Priority Loan) to keep NOTEBOOK running if the operating costs exceed the weekly gross.

getatme
#64THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 9/6/24 at 1:33pm

While Broadway contracts are generally one year, the standard is that after 6 months actors have outs for TV/film/Broadway principal roles that they can exercise, usually with anywhere from 2-4 weeks notice. It's likely that's what's happening here.

It's also possible John had a specific out for Moulin Rouge on Broadway built into his contract, if the producers of that show made it clear that at some point they'd want him to perform the role on Broadway after leaving the tour.

It's certainly odd to see multiple principals announce departure shortly after the closing announcement, but it's not surprising for actors to leave for higher profile gigs when their contracts allow it.

JSquared2
#65THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 9/6/24 at 1:52pm

Alex Kulak2 said: "Fosse76 said: "While it's true that Broadway contracts are typically 1 year, that clock generally starts on the first day of rehearsal, not the first performance.

"

Word on the street is that he's using the show as a tax write-off forMrs. Doubtfire, which has been making bank on the road.
"

As usual, "the street" (whether it be the Smelly N*tsack or some other hanger-ons) have no idea what they are talking about.  That's not how tax breaks work -- unless you're Max Bialystock.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#66THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 9/7/24 at 5:58pm

I’ll give you a Smelly N*tsack

VintageSnarker
#67THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 9/8/24 at 5:10pm

I am tempted to see this before the principals leave but nothing about the music or the press clips is grabbing me.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#68THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 9/16/24 at 3:07pm

Benji Santiago and Anna Zavelson are the new Young Noah and Allie beginning October 8, and they will stay with the show through closing. 

Oh look, a bibu!

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#69THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 9/16/24 at 3:20pm

Anna Zavelson was tremendous in Piazza, so I’m thrilled to see her making her Broadway debut. She’ll be wonderful. Excited to catch her in it.

MatthewS1
#70THE NOTEBOOK to Close on Broadway on December 15, 2024
Posted: 9/16/24 at 3:28pm

Benji was a great Usnavi in ITH at The Muny this summer. Really excited to see his career take off.

Latest Posts

Videos