pixeltracker

So, tell us about yourself.- Page 2

So, tell us about yourself.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#25So, tell us about yourself.
Posted: 6/20/18 at 10:36am

Late 30's female Asian bio teacher who for years quite frankly couldn't afford theater except on occasion. My first Broadway show was a school field trip in middle school. We saw Guys and Dolls with Nathan Lane, Faith Prince, Peter Gallagher, etc. What a great intro to MT!

Since maybe 2015 I've been going to theater much more often and I've also been having to pick a PG-rated, completely wholesome "momsical" to take my mom to every year. We've so far seen Lion King (she thought it was ok), Cats (she loved it), Phantom (she hated it), Hello Dolly! (she liked it a lot), and Carousel (she LOVED it). 

I keep a blog where I also write about dance, opera, classical music, etc.

https://humbledandoverwhelmed.blogspot.com/

My latest entry was about how I finally saw Hamilton:

https://humbledandoverwhelmed.blogspot.com/2018/06/hamilton-great-american-musical.html

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#26So, tell us about yourself.
Posted: 6/20/18 at 11:10am

Dollypop said: "I'm 70 years old and am breathtakingly handsome. I walk with the grace of a gazelle, which accentuates my smooth, cat-like movements. On top of all that, I'm incredibly modest."

From way back in the day you were always one of the most modest. Don't ever change Dollypop. :)

Also. We both joined on the same day. Are we now the old folks on the board?

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.
Updated On: 6/20/18 at 11:10 AM

dlenxz Profile Photo
dlenxz
#27So, tell us about yourself.
Posted: 6/20/18 at 12:29pm

Mid-twenties, aspie, frequent-lurker-rare-poster, born and bred in New Jersey (about 45 minutes outside of New York). When I was little, I loved old horror movies, and one of my favorites was "The Phantom of the Opera". I saw the show when I was 9, and fell in love with theatre right then and there. I've been regularly attending the theatre ever since. 

I initially wanted to be an actor, but after a reckoning in college that I was good-but-not-great, I decided to turn to writing and dramaturgy. I wrote theatre reviews for two websites for a year before moving to Florida for an internship. I also write plays. A few of my plays have had readings, and a one-act of mine has been produced in New York, LA, and London. I'm moving across the country to pursue my MFA in Dramatic Writing later this summer.

I'm generally always reading something, whether it be a play, novel, or biography. I'm also really into true crime (I get a kick out of the "My Favorite Murder" podcast).

I love plays, I love musicals, I but I hate leaving a show feeling hollow. My favorite musical from last season was "The Band's Visit" and my favorite play was "Three Tall Women".

Hello, everyone!

BroadwayFan12
#28So, tell us about yourself.
Posted: 6/20/18 at 10:20pm

I mostly lurk, but what the hell. Female, late 20s, bisexual, been a musical theatre fan since I saw Wicked as a young teenager. I did some theatre in high school, but I'm not involved in the industry. I try to make it to NYC at least once a year and see as many shows as possible. My taste is pretty eclectic.

WhiJo Bloom
#29So, tell us about yourself.
Posted: 6/20/18 at 10:44pm

Add me to the list of long-time board reader but seldom poster! I'll try it out, why not:

Early 20s, originally from southern California (Orange County pride!), currently living in Miami, Florida and actually moving to NY in August for grad school - dreams come true kids haha

First got into musicals after I saw High School Musical as a kid (I know someone is going to judge me for that lol), and I hated the sports camps my parents put me in growing up so after that they put me into dance classes and community theatre, which I continued through high school. Though I'd like to be professionally involved in theatre in whichever small way it may be, my studies/job is the completely opposite spectrum - aerospace engineering.

First professional musical I saw - The Phantom of the Opera in Las Vegas (2006)

First national tour - A Chorus Line (2008), one of my favs still

First show on Broadway in NY - La Cage Aux Folles (2010) and proud of it!

Traveled to NY several times for Broadway, seen easily close to a hundred shows around the US and Brazil, and can't wait to keep on adding once I get to New York in a few weeks!

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#30So, tell us about yourself.
Posted: 6/20/18 at 10:44pm

Early 30s. From 2.5 hours of NYC so been seeing 5-6 musicals a year since I was about 7. Less in later years especially around the time that I was in college and when I moved south to work.... that's right add another to the list.... in Entertainment at Disney World. No I was not "friends" with the characters. I was their bodyguard and made sure kids didn't kick Mickey but it was still an amazing time of my life because in college, I studied theatre arts but my specialty was in children's theatre so Disney World Entertainment was right up my ally. Had to move back home however due to aging family members and the need to help my mother and uncle with their care but there are future plans to move back to the Orlando area to be around my godson and his family as he grows up. I don't know if I would go back to the mouse because of his recent pretty crummy ways he's been treating his workers but I would be interested in the entertainment department at Universal or really any kind of theatre community down there. 

greenifyme2
#31So, tell us about yourself.
Posted: 6/20/18 at 11:11pm

Scarlet Leigh said: " I was their bodyguard and made sure kids didn't kick Mickey”

Ahahaha that made me laugh out loud. Glad to hear you saved a lot of Mickeys’ shins So, tell us about yourself.

greenifyme2
#32So, tell us about yourself.
Posted: 6/20/18 at 11:13pm

bwayrose7 said: "

I've worked too many theatre/arts jobs to count, but my favorite is probably a front-of-house job at a major touring venue. Oh, the stories I could tell So, tell us about yourself.

Ooooh do tell!

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#33So, tell us about yourself.
Posted: 6/20/18 at 11:17pm

I'm basically 34. My birthday is tomorrow. I live in northwest New Jersey. I work in retail doing ad related stuff for the store I work in. I consider myself more of more of a theatre fan than anything. I have done some acting, but definitely less than most people who are doing it for a career. I can act and dance a little. I'm a terrible singer. I also identify as biromantic asexual.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#34So, tell us about yourself.
Posted: 6/20/18 at 11:19pm

^ Happy almost-birthday, Marianne2! So, tell us about yourself.

greenifyme2
#35So, tell us about yourself.
Posted: 6/20/18 at 11:19pm

Happy Birthday, Marianne2!

BwayJudd
#36So, tell us about yourself.
Posted: 6/20/18 at 11:28pm

Happy Birthday!

I’m female, thirties, former New Yorker (I’ll be back soon). Not in theater, besides in high school, but I was (am?) a dancer. Just do it for fun these days.

Started seeing Broadway shows as a kid, then luckily was able to see shows much more frequently in the early 2000’s once I had my own money to spend on them. I’d love to work in the theater world, but sadly do not. I do marketing/advertising for a very boring company.

Happily married to a wonderful woman, who is a newly converted fanatic of broadway! Yay me!

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#37So, tell us about yourself.
Posted: 6/21/18 at 12:02am

Hello.  My (real) name is Roman.  I was born on November 11, 1961 in Laredo, Texas.  I live in the blue city of Austin, Texas.  I received a Bachelor of Arts degree in History /Spanish from UT Austin.  During my college years in the early 80's, I musical theatre wasn't on my radar.  I started out relatively late.  I mostly went to concerts:  Cyndi Lauper, Diana Ross, Olivia Newton John.  I think my first Broadway tour show was "Evita" in Dallas (April 1998) with Raul Esparza...then "Sunset Boulevard" in Dec. 1999 with Petula Clark.  I did travel to San Francisco in July 2001 and saw "Sweeney Todd" with Patti LuPone.  In 2006, I went to NYC for the first time and saw "Avenue Q", "Wicked" and "Sweeney Todd".  During this time, I never gave "Chicago" much of a thought, until I saw the show for the very first time on St. Patrick's Day 2011.  I created the "Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread" in 2011.  Since then, I have seen the show 11 times on Broadway and 11 times on tour.  You could say I'm a fan of "Chicago".  If I travel to NYC this Dec., I'll want to see "Prom", "The Cher Show", maaaybe "Phantom" and "Chicago" of course.    

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Samaimurai
#38So, tell us about yourself.
Posted: 6/21/18 at 12:44am

Hi! My name is Samantha. I'm 27 and live in Jersey City, just minutes from NYC. I have my BFA in Animation and love to draw, and sometimes sell my art at conventions. I also really love movies, books, musicals, and plays. I don't sing or have a background in theatre, though I did have a part in a Twilight Zone play at my high school until I dropped out due to a family emergency. I love collecting and saving my playbills from each show i've seen and keeping them very OCD-like in those pricey "Official Playbill Binders" from the playbill store. I don't really buy merch from the theatre itself, the playbill and stage door experience are usually enough for me. I've volunteer ushered for a few broadway and off-broadway plays at Studio 54, American Airlines Theatre, New World Stages, and Manhattan Theatre Club, to name a few. 

My first broadway experience ever was Rent in 2008. And i've just been to a bunch more since then. I do dislike going through Times Square everytime I want to see a show. It's always crazy there, and I should be used to it by now, but it always takes a lot out of me haha. 

teatime2
#39So, tell us about yourself.
Posted: 6/21/18 at 1:15am

I go to College in New York. I've been a performer since I was nine. The first show I saw was Cathy Rigby in Peter Pan back in 2005 (her first farewell tour). I was HOOKED. My Dad bought me the dvd, and I had it memorized in a week. Some of my favorite shows include: Gypsy, Once On This Island, Merrily We Roll Along, Side Show, Hello, Dolly!, and I have a really odd soft spot for Waitress. My first account on BWW was made in 2013 and I'm pretty sure I was one of the youngest posters on the board to date. I'm much older now...

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#40So, tell us about yourself.
Posted: 6/21/18 at 1:40am

Mark from SF (although you could probably guess that)
Early 60s, gay, retired

Theater wasn't a part of my family (but not discouraged) and I loved being in HS plays. After a memorable senior trip when I saw the OC of Pippin, it wasn't until 1996 when I visited New York and I got totally hooked.

For the past 20+ years, I've visted NY, roughly annually to see shows. (Next visit is Labor Day) I've never been part of the industry. ...but by now have done my share to fund it! Updated On: 6/21/18 at 01:40 AM

BroadwayBeebe
#41So, tell us about yourself.
Posted: 6/21/18 at 1:52am

Early 20’s guy who grew up in a really small CT town doing theatre from the time I was 6. Went to a performing arts high school and decided that I was going to spend my life working in the field. Currently working on my BFA in Musical Theatre at an awesome program in New Jersey just 25 minutes from theatre district. I’ve been lucky to play incredible roles like Max in The Producers, Barfeé in Spelling Bee, and getting ready to do The Mystery of Edwin Drood. I also direct at an educational program for a regional theatre during the summer.
When it comes to taste I really try to keep my mind open and try to see at least one show a week. My favorites in recent years are Dolly and Something Rotten. (I’ll have seen both 11 times by the the time Dolly unfortunately closes). Cabaret is my all time favorite musical. The past two seasons I was won over by Spongebob, Once on This Island and Come From Away. I also love seeing plays with some of my favorites being Angels, Doll’s House Pt 2, Oslo, and If I Forget.
I don’t post very often but I love all the information and discussions generated on this site.

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#42So, tell us about yourself.
Posted: 6/21/18 at 2:06am

This thread proves AfterEight is a fictitious character!

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#43So, tell us about yourself.
Posted: 6/21/18 at 2:14am

19 year old male. Grew up on Long Island but go to college in Manhattan now. Home for the summer. Throughout High school my friends from the community theatre I did shows at (and now work at) would go into NYC most weeks and try to see as many shows as possible. Extremely grateful for the amount of theatre I've been exposed to since I was 6 years old (my moms a big theatre buff). Ive seen around 100 shows on broadway and 30 shows off broadway. Growing up (and now) my favorite TV show was Spongebob although I still am embarrassed when I tell people I've seen Spongebob Squarepants the musical 14 times....please don't judge me. As a kid I was EXTREMELY obsessed with In the Heights and would ask my mom take me to the Stage Door every time we saw it...It was really weird for me when Lin became so famous because for most of my childhood I was the only kid that had ANY idea who he was (I legit did my fifth grade project on his life) and now everyone knows who he is! Im an aspiring Stand Up Comedian..although I don't think im very funny...my friends told me I should do it and people seem to enjoy me sometimes so thats pretty fun. If all else fails id like to direct elementary school shows when I get out of school. Thats me! :)

Updated On: 6/21/18 at 02:14 AM

thealtoslament Profile Photo
thealtoslament
#44So, tell us about yourself.
Posted: 6/21/18 at 9:21am

I'm Sadie, early 20s, female. My parents are both theatre fanatics and we live in New Jersey (an hour from the theatre district), so I grew up surrounded by plays and musicals. My first Broadway show was Hairspray in 2008, and I see at least 1 show every year and lots of non-Broadway (everything from high school to professional regional). I don't see as many shows as everyone here, I know (I am but a poor college student who, now that she's in college, is never around enough to justify a TDF membership), and I usually lurk. 

I'm pursuing a BA in English at a university in (not the University of) Virginia and I hope to work in education administration someday. While I'm on school breaks, I work as a waitress. My involvement in theatre is purely as a hobby/extracurricular at this point (I did all the plays in high school used to be an intended theatre minor with a focus in playwriting, before I transferred to the Unnamed University In Virginia), although I love to write, direct, and stage manage.

irishgator1
#45So, tell us about yourself.
Posted: 6/21/18 at 9:28am

Usually a lurker, but what the heck, so here goes.  Early 40s Asian American woman and I live in a suburb of Washington, DC.  My parents' families are from NYC, but sadly, almost no one is left, aside from a few in the Bronx and an aunt in Bergen County, NJ, with whom we often stay when we visit.

My first Broadway show was Cats as a little kid and then my family moved to Kuwait for a long time (no theater there!) and then to NC.  In college, I studied in London and started going to a lot of West End shows getting student tickets.  After college, I lived in Manchester and would take the train down to London to see more shows with my sister, who was in grad school there.

I've lived in the DC area since 2001, but it's only been within the last couple of years that I've had more disposable income and time to see shows either in this area or to go up to NY.  I try to make it a point to schedule a yearly work trip to NYC as an excuse to see some shows. I've been married for 14 years and my husband enjoys going to the theater, but he's nowhere nearly as interested as I am.  We have kids who are 8 and 10 and their first Broadway show was Great Comet (RIP), which they saw twice. They've since seen several other shows and I'm really excited to share my enjoyment of the theater with them.

lilac3
#46So, tell us about yourself.
Posted: 6/21/18 at 10:41am

19, female, current university student studying Graphic Design, from the North of England

First show ever was Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, circa 2004, don't remember exactly when, but I loved it and I think it was what got me into theatre originally. I had the 1991 London Palladium cast album on cassette, and later on CD once cassettes had died out. Listened to it constantly and had my own choreography to the whole show. My Mam also loves theatre so I usually see shows with my family (although we usually have to practically drag my brother and Dad along). 

Been to London twice, first West End show was Mamma Mia and second time around saw Les Miserables (2011 & 2012).

Also been to NYC twice, first time in 2014 (Matilda and Wicked) and second time was February this year (Once on this Island, Phantom & DEH).

My London and first NYC trips were with school and the second NYC trip was with uni.

I've seen quite a few other shows locally (regional productions & UK tours) and am hoping to get to London again for a week in the next year or two and see about 10 shows.

I've also been a dancer for over 15 years now so choreography in shows is especially important for me.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#47So, tell us about yourself.
Posted: 6/21/18 at 10:50am

Young side of Generation X; originally from the San Francisco Bay Area. I've lived in NYC for seven years. I think the first musical I ever saw was a community theatre production of Annie in my hometown (one of the orphans later moved to NYC and was in the previous-previous Fiddler revival). The first professional show I ever saw was the first national tour of Miss Saigon at the Ahmanson. The first show I ever saw on Broadway was the first Les Miz revival.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

vanbrig Profile Photo
vanbrig
#48So, tell us about yourself.
Posted: 6/21/18 at 11:15am

Twenty-something Midwestern female, long-time lurker but relatively new poster. I dabble in several things (writing, teaching, baking, among others). Theatre is strictly a hobby for me, although it’d be great to take a shot at playwriting someday. I could definitely never write a musical, as I have no musical talent whatsoever. I travel to NYC once a year and see roughly 7 to 15 shows per year (counting tours).

skipgal
#49So, tell us about yourself.
Posted: 6/21/18 at 11:16am

greenifyme2 said: "Sondheimite said: "Late twenties.

Working to expand what theatre can be.

Really like working with new immersive productions of old established musicals done in radical ways or new exciting work.

I like to make theatre that is exciting to be an audience member of.

I like David Lynch and David Bowie.

I once accused Paul McCartney to his face of dying and being replaced while I was working the Haunted Mansion at Disney World!
"

I also worked at Disney World- ex Jungle Cruise Skipper here! We were all super jealous of the Haunted Mansion staff- you guys had the best job! (Expecfed fo be grumpy and in air conditioning!) haha
"

Nother former skip checking in!! :)

Videos