pixeltracker

PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread- Page 2

PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#25PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/23/23 at 12:08am

Don't mind me, I'm just sitting at my desk crying. 

BCfitasafiddle
#26PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/23/23 at 12:22am

Stunning album - and I'm barely through. So glad it was with the City Center orchestrations. 

Platt and Diamond sound even better live and in-person, which is hard to believe considering they sound remarkable on the recording. 

Updated On: 3/23/23 at 12:22 AM

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#27PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/23/23 at 12:40am

Absolutely gorgeous! WOW

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#28PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/23/23 at 2:21am

I still don’t understand why the first Big News isn’t part of the score anymore but I’ll echo the sentiments above. It’s a beautiful show and a stunning album.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#29PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/23/23 at 3:27am

I need to give it a full listen, but everything I've listened to so far has been absolutely outstanding. 

In regards to the questions of should only Jews be playing Jews, it is very slight, but I can tell that Ben is someone who's been saying the Sh'ma has whole life, not someone who was taught how to say it by a dialect coach a few months ago. 

I do really miss the music at the end of the Sh'ma when he is hung. Kinda takes the punch out of the moment a bit to not feature it. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#30PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/23/23 at 7:35am

*SERIOUS* goosebumps just from that opening number alone. Stunning.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

bwayobsessed
#31PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/23/23 at 9:03am

I’m disappointed they again didn’t include the reprises after This is not over yet. It was one of my favorite moments of the show-partially cuz I had forgotten about it since my first and only time watching the show.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#32PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/23/23 at 9:22am

I am only on the opening number, and I have absolute chills! WOW JUST WOW!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

EssWiser
#33PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/23/23 at 9:41am

Parade is my favourite show of all time - first listened to All the Wasted Time 20 years ago and finally got to see it on Broadway last night.

To wake up to this being available this morning is a gift from the theatre gods!

That’s my listening sorted for the next month! 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#34PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/23/23 at 1:54pm

This is indeed some pretty music. 

Excuse my lame pun, but pencil in a Tony nom for Ben Platt, and for Micaela Diamond too. They sound incredible together, and I’m sure both of their Act Two duets get the tears flowing at the Jacobs night after night. 

Beyond them, this feels like an ensemble piece, though Alex Joseph Grayson’s “That’s What He Said” sounds like a showstopper on the scale of “Sit Down, You’re Rockin’ the Boat.” There are so many standouts in this cast and I won’t single everyone out. 

No wonder this won JRB a Tony 25 years ago. Like Kimberly Akimbo, it’s fun to listen to this score and see how it calls back to the composer’s other works. The soaring love ballads and alternating between major and minor keys of The Bridges of Madison County, the bluesy piano lines of The Last Five Years (“Real Big News” ), and even the simpler charm of Mr. Saturday Night… I thought “The Picture Show”, for instance, sounded a bit like “Unbelievable” or “What’s Playing at the Movies.” The expanded orchestrations, first heard at Encores, sound fantastic. 

It sounds like Paradise Square ripped off a few elements from this show: the opening snare drum in “The Old Red Hills of Home” sounds like the start of “I’m Coming.” There’s also that five-note orchestral refrain in ORHOH strikingly similar to “Let It Burn”, and the sampling of “Camptown Races” in Parade’s Act II opener.

This show is frighteningly more timely than ever - for this, its wonderful score, and powerhouse performances from top to bottom, color me intrigued. I’d love to see this one live if at all possible. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 3/23/23 at 01:54 PM

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#35PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 11:19am

Did anyone else notice that in Funeral Sequence Jake Pedersen says "To put her in the cold and lonely gwwound" instead of ground? 

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Pashacar
#36PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 11:39am

ClydeBarrow said: "Did anyone else notice that in Funeral Sequence Jake Pedersen says "To put her in the cold and lonely gwwound" instead of ground?"

Lol yes! I was wondering if that was just my ears tricking me. Big fan of his performance otherwise, though.

Love this recording for so many reasons. I don't know the last time I heard such textured instrumentation, and it's absolutely stunning over and over and over. The cast nails it – Grayson's "That's What He Said" is every bit the showstopper here that it is live, which is quite an achievement. And the leads' big songs translate absolutely beautifully. Agree with others here that there are a few disappointing omissions, but overall it is an absolute gem that we are just so lucky to have.

BroadwayBen
#37PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 11:58am

I haven't been able to stop listening to this...I love it. 

slow_the_rain
#38PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/24/23 at 4:50pm

Guess I'll be the contrarian here, but I don't understand the rapturous response. The orchestrations sound wonderful, and many of the supporting cast's songs are just as good as previous recordings. A lot of the mixing on the vocals, however, sounds overly breathy and whispery. I'm not sure how she sounds live, but Micaela Diamond in particular sounds thin, and I can hear every flaw in her voice, especially in All The Wasted Time. 

I almost turned the recording off before the Old Soldier's entrance because I was so put off by Charlie Webb's Old Red Hills. The phrasing is nonexistent. He breathes confoundingly in the middle of short phrases (In a town called *breath* Marietta *breath* in the old red hills of home...). Then there's an odd pause (at first I thought it was a breath, but his breathing is elsewhere audible) before the G4 on the word "honor" that completely interrupted the lyric. The accent is all over the place. The falsetto on the last "farewell" is odd both in placement and in pronunciation. It's a terrible way to set the tone for the rest of the album.

Ben Platt sounds like Ben Platt, which is to say perfectly fine with a dash of fast vibrato. I don't know how to best explain it, but it sounds like he's singing a song, whereas it sounded like Brent Carver was acting the song.  Over all, this album affirmed that no one can touch the magic of the original recording, and how lucky we are to have Brent Carver and Carolee Carmello's brilliant performances so expertly preserved.

EnochShow
#39PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/25/23 at 7:49am

I agree with you. Charlie Webb really misses the mark, and the fact that a voice crack is included on "fare thee well" speaks volumes about the quality of this recording.

Ben Platt's voice is extremely off-putting to me. The unnatural vibrato created through vocal tension is seriously uncomfortable to listen to. He's neither a strong actor or singer so I do not understand the giant fan base.

Michaela Diamond cannot sing through her mid register, and this leaves us with a raspy and airy-voiced Lucille. She performs the worst rendition of "You Don't Know This Man" I've heard to date.

This show is truly outstanding with an amazing score, and it deserves much stronger leads than it has. 

BorisTomashevsky
#40PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/25/23 at 8:04am

Agreeing with slow_the_rain and EnochSnow. I’m glad others can hear this for the try-but-not-quite that it is. This is not a great album, like the OBC is, but I’m glad it’s bringing joy to many who many not have known the show before.

It seems like it was done in haste, before many had authority over their parts. Voices also sound tired. This was probably jammed in after a full run in a rehearsal room I guess? And again, like so many albums today, the mixing gives no sense of scale or world. It sounds like these people are sitting next to me and singing. That’s not how it should be. 

Young Soldier has some nice notes but they’re pluses in an overall minus. He sounds like he wouldn’t be able to “fight” his way out of a paper bag. Those contemporary riffs DO NOT belong here. And I have second-hand-embarrassment about his crack being included in his last “farewellllll”. No time to retake and just drop a new one in?

Old Soldier has better phrasing (thank you Howard McGillin) but sounds like you could drive a truck through that vibrato. Those high notes make me nervous. Not a patch on Don Chastain or even John Dossett at Encores.

Jay winces his way through the notes which Evan Pappas flipped up to with flair and fun. 

Jake is pretty unbearable, without the cheeky charm this part should have, sounds like he’s 40 (was this recorded at 7am or something?) and yes, full of “W” instead of “R” sounds. 
Alex Grayson is pretty fantastic, and I enjoy Sean Allan Krill, who I loved at Encores as well. 
Ben’s vibrato can be hard on the ears but overall I think he knows his way around this part and I’m enjoying him here.

You can hear the wonderful voice of Paul Alexander Nolan clear in the ensemble numbers but I feel like we shouldn’t be able to. 

Haven’t made it much further and don’t know if I want to, mainly deterred by the weird mixing. The OBC has been pushed even higher into brilliance after this. If you’re someone who loves this 2023 recording and you haven’t heard the OBC, give it a shot. 

Updated On: 3/25/23 at 08:04 AM

Georgeanddot2 Profile Photo
Georgeanddot2
#41PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/25/23 at 10:24am

Really weird mixing on this.

BorisTomashevsky
#42PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/25/23 at 12:22pm

What the hell happens at 6min 11sec of Old Red Hills? Sounds like a sforzando in the male voices. Total mixing screw-up? 

InTheBathroom1
#43PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/26/23 at 3:40pm

don’t know if this is just me, but the fact that they don’t include the summation at the end of act one (under the old red hills reprise) is disappointing to me. It’s so powerful and effective

binau Profile Photo
binau
#44PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/26/23 at 3:53pm

I don't understand how someone could listen to "It's Hard to Speak my Heart" and conclude that Ben Platt is neither a good singer nor actor. That song and performance feels like an entire play in itself. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

BETTY22
#45PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/26/23 at 5:51pm

Diamond where have you been my whole life?

What an amazing performance. WOW 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#46PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/26/23 at 6:38pm

ClydeBarrow said: "Did anyone else notice that in Funeral Sequence Jake Pedersen says "To put her in the cold and lonely gwwound" instead of ground?"

“He’s widderwy hitting the gwiddy”

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#47PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/26/23 at 10:54pm

Watch the making of “The Old Red Hills of Home” 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSBobOMj-ww

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Alex Kulak2
#48PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/26/23 at 11:34pm

After giving it a couple days to take it in, I've decided I still prefer the 2007 Donmar Warehouse recording. That said, this is an exceptional cast recording. I wouldn't be surprised if JRB gets another Grammy nomination this fall.

Micaela Diamond and Ben Platt are both great on their numbers, but the standout is Alex Joseph Grayson. His 'Feel The Rain Fall' is absolutely guttural and terrifying, I can't imagine what it must be like to experience that live.

I really wish we had gotten more connective tissue with the smaller reprises and dialogue scenes, which is why the Donmar Warehouse recording is still my favorite, but if you're a fan of Parade, there's a good chance all of your favorite moments are in this album.

I'll be visiting New York in September, provided I can somehow get my hands on a ticket to Here We Are, so I'm really hoping this will extend so I can get a chance to see it.

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#49PARADE 2023 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 3/27/23 at 9:45am

Does anyone else feel like can really hear Platt taking breaths in between lyrics in "This Is Not Over Yet?" I know it's a fast song and of course he has to breath somewhere, I just feel like he's literally breathing right into the mic and they didn't lower that at all haha.

Videos