News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

HELLO, DOLLY! Previews

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#650HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/12/17 at 4:59pm

nycward said: "I saw the show last night and was as transfixed as most people seem to be. Why? I saw Pearl Bailey in the original and also saw Channing in her last revival. I am a regular theatre goer and usually would stay away from a War Horse like this one but there truly is something electric in the air on that stage and in the house. Bette is just delightful. She lands every joke and brings charm and pathos to her character. I was moved seeing a 70 year old woman truly fearful that the parade will pass her by knowing that this would be her last chance. Her voice is lower than I remember and seemed a bit raspy. I'm concerned that this is after a night off and truly wonder if she can pull this off 7 times a week through the year. Here's hoping. As for the rest of the company, everyone was truly on their A game from DHP down through the chorus. The production was polished to a sheen and Warren Carlyle's choreography was truly an homage to Gower Champion. The show just works flawlessly on every level and is a joy to sit through. I was struck by the lack of depth of the playing area considering the passerelle (sp?) and all. The staging plays very much on the horizontal and was actually a bit concerned about someone falling into the pit from where I was in the front Mezz. Also, Bette and DHP shared a crack up late in the first act which seemed perhaps a bit rehearsed? There was someone sitting in front of me who saw this three times and didn't recall the flub last week but also said that the courtroom scene was redone from the previous week as well. They all are really polishing this gem into a 10 karat diamond. A truly memorable evening in the theatre. I just hope that Bette can keep on doing this. Any thoughts about a possible replacement for next year? I'm gonna guess that Scott Rudin is having quiet conversations with Reba MacIntyre. It's just the kind of terrific commercial casting that could keep this ship afloat with a whole new demographic in 2018. Go see it theatre fans!!!

"

That is how Bette sounds.  She will be fine .  You all forget that till recently she did extensive touring .  I actually really like that they have her  singing in a low key.  Her voice sounds full of character and very layered. .  Nice contrast to everyone else.  Kind of adds to the star quality.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 4/12/17 at 04:59 PM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#651HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/12/17 at 5:02pm

fixed

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 4/12/17 at 05:02 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#652HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/12/17 at 5:28pm

I'm considering seeing the show with Donna Murphy in late June when Midler's on vacation. Tickets are drastically cheaper(as expected). Anyone else just settling for seeing Murphy due to the prices Midler is commanding?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#653HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/12/17 at 7:01pm

"I'm considering seeing the show with Donna Murphy in late June when Midler's on vacation. Tickets are drastically cheaper(as expected). Anyone else just settling for seeing Murphy due to the prices Midler is commanding?"

Well.. If you are a Donna Murphy fan then go ahead.  But won't you always be wondering what you missed?  The whole reason this show is back on the boards is Bette.  And she is on fire in this show.  Worth every penny.  And for those of you worried about Bette's voice or stamina.  Her voice now is the way her voice sounds at 71.   And I believe it adds a lot of charm and personality to the show.  A friend who was in the chorus of her Cesars Palace Vegas run said the she had a very strong work ethic and never cancelled.  I would think her Vegas show and concerts are a lot more taxing than Dolly.

Updated On: 4/12/17 at 07:01 PM

RagtimeRay
#654HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/12/17 at 9:38pm

I'm seeing Donna Murphy at the end of June. I'm a fan of the show. Saw the original Broadway run nine times and several touring and stock companies during those years, and the last Channing revival (3 times). I've enjoyed Donna Murphy's work, and I have no doubt that she'll make a great Dolly.

My love is for the show, not a particular performer. I tried to get a ticket for Midler in April or May, but wasn't prepared to pay $500 or more and sit in the last two rows of the orchestra.

Very excited to see the production.Hope it lasts a decade or more. I'd love to see Christine Ebersole take over the role in the future.

Ray is the author of the Brad Frame mystery series, and two suspense novels. He is also the author of a one man play based on Ben Franklin. http://www.rayflynt.com

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#655HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/12/17 at 10:14pm

All I knew of "Hello Dolly" were the snippets in the film, "Wall-e". This is definitely the most old-school musical I've ever seen and I loved every second. It is a joyous experience. Bette is sensational. Her voice sounds great. She is so silly-as a poster said, lots of facial expressions and physical comedy. She gives it her all... and the crowd was all in. They were cheering for her. After the title number, the place erupted. After flubbing her lines, she broke character, turned to the crowd, and said, "I'm old and tired," and the audience went nuts. She could do no wrong. She was so charming. There were some very touching moments as well. I cried several times. Hell, I cried when she made her entrance in the "Hello Dolly" dress. The costumes were gorgeous, especially the ones in the "Sunday Clothes" number (so colorful!) and the sets were impressive. It was a lot of fun.  It's surprising to me, because I usually go for more modern material, but she is just so freaking good.  I left the theatre smiling. 

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#656HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/12/17 at 10:38pm

Hey, how is row H on the right side rear balcony?

KathyNYC2
#657HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/12/17 at 10:40pm

I just saw Bette for $198 partial view orchestra. Seats were great- missed some but not a lot. 

I hope to see Donna as well at hopefully a lower price. I love to repeat shows to see diff cast members. 

A Director
#658HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/12/17 at 11:13pm

It nice to know there is musical with a 71 year old star who can sing the score unlike the musical with a 70 year old star who can't.

It appears this show has sucked the air out of War Paint.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#659HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/12/17 at 11:19pm

A Director said: "It nice to know there is musical with a 71 year old star who can sing the score unlike the musical with a 70 year old star who can't.

It appears this show has sucked the air out of War Paint.
"

I have observed your vendetta against Patti LuPone for the past 10 years on this message board. What ever did she do to you??

JaglinSays
#660HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/13/17 at 12:12am

Having seen both, it is impossible not to recognize that Patti out-acts and out-sings Bette by a considerable margin.  

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#661HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/13/17 at 12:18am

Is it just me or does anyone else feel the opening scenes of the second act quite stuffy? Bette is marvelous, but I fear the rest of the cast kind of suffer because no one can really match up to this legend.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#662HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/13/17 at 12:21am

JaglinSays said: "Having seen both, it is impossible not to recognize that Patti out-acts and out-sings Bette by a considerable margin.  

"

Ya ain't wrong...

hork Profile Photo
hork
#663HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/13/17 at 1:59am

ACL2006 said: "I'm considering seeing the show with Donna Murphy in late June when Midler's on vacation. Tickets are drastically cheaper(as expected). Anyone else just settling for seeing Murphy due to the prices Midler is commanding?

I'm not settling. I'd much rather see Murphy than Midler. It just works out for me that it's cheaper, and also that Midler is out the first week of November, which is when I always go to NY.

cjmclaughlin10
#664HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/13/17 at 7:02am

I know they weren't in the beginning, but dose anyone know if they have started collecting for BCEFA. I would pay a fortune for a signed poster/playbill 

Zamedy154
#665HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/13/17 at 7:15am

Having seen both, it is impossible not to recognize that Patti out-acts and out-sings Bette by a considerable margin.  

That may be. And that's fine. We're talking "Hello, Dolly!" here, not Shakespeare. And Bette doesn't need to prove to us that she can sing or act. Her six-decade-long career that has her standing near the edge of the EGOT club speaks for itself. You can't 'act' likeability or natural warmth. Bette is all of these things and more. She's having a ball up there and takes the audience along for the ride every night. She certainly doesn't take herself too seriously, knowing when to break the fourth wall and have fun with it (because at the end of the day, who doesn't love when an actor does that to rapturous applause and laughter).

And can you picture Patti giving the final bow to a show she's starring in... with her name above the title... to an understudy? She's too busy saying "make it quick!" to a touring actor/singer who came to see "War Paint" and asked for her picture at the stage door afterward (not me). Meanwhile after Saturday's show at Dolly, DHP walked around the entire perimeter to sign and take pictures with a huge crowd. And he couldn't have been more gracious. And yes, Ms. LuPone... he's a bigger star than you.

Seriously Patti. I love you but don't you think it's finally time to get over yourself?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#666HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/13/17 at 7:23am

Zamedy154 said: "She's too busy saying "make it quick!" to a touring actor/singer who came to see "War Paint" and asked for her picture at the stage door afterward (not me). Meanwhile after Saturday's show at Dolly, DHP walked around the entire perimeter to sign and take pictures with a huge crowd."

When you were comparing them onstage, it was Bette vs Patti. But when you needed to make a stage door point, you had to switch to DHP, I guess since Bette hasn't been posing for pics with anyone?!

Zamedy154
#667HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/13/17 at 7:43am

Whether any actor wants to pose for pictures is their choice. Quite frankly, I cringe when I hear someone ask for a 'selfie' with an actor at the stage door. You missed my point. It's how she reacted to that request that tied back to what I had said about natural warmth. Bette has it. Patti doesn't. And that's fine. Patti does Patti and people love her for that. Some people are the "make it quick!" type to their fans who have just paid a lot of money to see them, some are the overly gracious let-me-smile-and-sign-for-as-many-people-possible-because-its-part-of-the-job type, and some are the classy I-won't-sign-but-Ill-still-walk-around-and-greet-all-of-you type.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oexiPn7hrTM

Oy. What time is my hanging?

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#668HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/13/17 at 9:09am

I was there two weeks ago when Bette gave the honor of the final bow to Gavin's understudy, Christian Dante White. He did an amazing job and kudos for Bette to let him shine that day.

As for stage door, Bette didn't do any selfies but she shook hands with the people who waited for her. I actually found this to be a more personal experience than simply asking for a photo. 

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#669HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/13/17 at 3:47pm

haterobics said: "Zamedy154 said: "She's too busy saying "make it quick!" to a touring actor/singer who came to see "War Paint" and asked for her picture at the stage door afterward (not me). Meanwhile after Saturday's show at Dolly, DHP walked around the entire perimeter to sign and take pictures with a huge crowd."

When you were comparing them onstage, it was Bette vs Patti. But when you needed to make a stage door point, you had to switch to DHP, I guess since Bette hasn't been posing for pics with anyone?!

"

It was much more special to have her shake my hand .  She was so genuine as well. I am very impressed with her.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#670HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/14/17 at 12:00am

How is the $800 front row? Is the stage low? I'd hate to shell out that much to be craning my neck or missing the action 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#671HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/14/17 at 8:36am

Just from my personal observation at intermission, it's very close to the stage. A big PLUS is that Bette goes around shaking hands with people in the front row so you may get lucky.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#672HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/14/17 at 8:54am

I am going back in June to see Donna Murphy, and I am very excited. I adore this production, and Bette is fantastic.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

BWAYLeaks
#673HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/14/17 at 9:11am

I also have tickets to see Donna Murphy, and I must say that I am more excited about seeing her than I am to see Bette. Don't get me wrong. I love Bette Midler, but I feel like I'd be paying all that money to see "Bette Midler" - not "Hello, Dolly" (one of my favorite shows). I'm sure she's wonderful, but I actually think it's very hard for an audience to divorce "Bette" from "Dolly."  I think Donna will give us a deeply felt Dolly for this generation. 

I wonder if this kind of casting will create a new model for star-casting on Broadway. Two stars headlining a show encourages the ticket buyer to see it twice. I think it certainly worked for the new Sweeney. I jumped too get another ticket when I heard Norm and Carolee were going to be in the show!

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#674HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/14/17 at 3:10pm

SmokeyLady said: 
"It was much more special to have her shake my hand .  She was so genuine as well. I am very impressed with her."

SmokeyLady, A Class Act on Bette's part!  I agree, that was the highlight of my evening after the show...having a quick exchange directly with Bette as she greeted everyone outside stage door especially the first row-perimeter...she shook my hand and was thankful. Ahhh...pure bliss once again!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 4/14/17 at 03:10 PM

Videos