pixeltracker

BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread - Page 3

BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread

thoroughlymodernbilly
#50BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/28/24 at 11:22pm

According to media invites that went out, “this concert residency is not open for review” and is only open “for feature consideration.” That of course won’t stop some outlets from buying their own tickets and running reviews. But it still feels like an unusual decision — even if reviews were decidedly mixed, they could still pull some positive quotes to help sell the tour. 

Regardless, I have tickets to see this later in the run and am going in with an open mind. I thought he was exceptional in “Parade,” and some of his original songs are lovely. I also think his team made a huge miscalculation with this entire residency, for all the reasons everyone has already stated. 

Updated On: 5/28/24 at 11:22 PM

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#51BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/28/24 at 11:30pm

That robe did Platt no favors, and his constant grabbing and writhing in it reminded me of Petula Clark in Sunset Boulevard...

Listen, I'm not Platt's biggest fan, but he has a great voice, and he has fantastic range. He can sing legit, as evidenced by the wonderful recording of Parade. But that performance had absolutely no charisma, no character, no story-telling. No, he doesn't need to be embodying the character of Sally Bowles, but these songs are about telling a story. I didn't get anything from that performance.

Not to mention, the key was wrong. Platt is strained in the high sections, and his tone completely goes when he reaches for the optional high note at the end (surely borrowed from Chenoweth & Michelle on Glee). It's bizarre to watch someone go from clear vocals to the cloudy, grainy tenor he uses for the climax. And his vibrato is trembling throughout every held note...

If that's how he sounds tonight, I'm wondering what the vocals will be like on performance 18...

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir
Updated On: 5/28/24 at 11:30 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#52BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/28/24 at 11:33pm

Strange Lupone said: "yyys said: "https://www.instagram.com/p/C7iP-wvtq4y/"

Imagine paying hundreds. For that.

I’ll bet Judy comes back tonight and says a few more things to La Platt.
"

Why did you have to torture us Ben with this rendition!? 

BW reviewer AA Christi seriously? Ben Electrifies with Cabaret classic? BW needs to find a better reviewers that have a clue.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

yyys
Strange Lupone
#54BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/28/24 at 11:57pm

Robbie2 said: "Strange Lupone said: "yyys said: "https://www.instagram.com/p/C7iP-wvtq4y/"

Imagine paying hundreds. For that.

I’ll bet Judy comes back tonight and says a few more things to La Platt.
"

Why did you have to torture us Ben with this rendition!?

BW reviewer AA Christi seriously? Ben Electrifies with Cabaret classic? BW needs to find a better reviewers that have a clue.
"

If that’s what calls for use of the term electrocution, no wonder I’m (pause for a Beatrice Arthur beat) shocked.

That song is from the story of someone who has really lived. And lost. A lot. And has no self-esteem left. Platt has TOO MUCH self esteem. Perhaps this is why there seems to be no connection to the song? He doesn’t understand it?

Also:

WHY IS HE WEARING THAT THING?????

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#55BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/28/24 at 11:59pm

Did they allow audience members to record the performance? 

Also, did anyone sit in side mezzanine? If so, did the rail really obscure the view?

yyys
#56BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/29/24 at 12:09am

I guess because it's a concert, it is allowed.

Wick3 said: "Did they allow audience members to record the performance?

Also, did anyone sit in side mezzanine? If so, did the rail really obscure the view?
"

Strange Lupone
#57BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/29/24 at 12:22am

From the front row, yet. Knowing Platt, it’s his people filming.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#58BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/29/24 at 12:26am

The video is from Frank DiLella, so I’m guessing he had permission. 

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#59BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/29/24 at 12:32am

Permission at least; this is the de facto marketing.

berniesb!tch
#60BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/29/24 at 12:37am

Damn. I would have bought a ticket if I knew Kacey Musgraves was showing up! 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#61BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/29/24 at 1:04am

berniesb!tch said: "Damn. I would have bought a ticket if I knew Kacey Musgraves was showing up!"

I was about to come comment that. If they have people of that caliber lines up for the whole run, they need to start advertising them. Platt can't sell the tickets, but maybe they can. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#62BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/29/24 at 5:22am

BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread

Peter Barker
#63BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/29/24 at 6:10am

I love a good vibrato but that was Sean Hayes Promises Promises level. Too much and it gives concern for his technique. 

OhHiii
#64BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/29/24 at 7:41am

As it relates to a superstar reopening the palace, they had one lined up. But it’s widely speculated she’s been pregnant this year up to this point, so probably fell through for that reason. It was Lady Gaga. Which would have just been an EVENT. And they still aren’t really giving a lot of fanfare around Ben being a grand reopening, so wonder if there’s a possibility another artist has something lined up this summer before Tammy. 

MezzA101
#65BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/29/24 at 8:15am

Ben Platt Talks His Palace Theatre Residency and Nepo Baby Discourse

https://www.elle.com/culture/theater/a60924282/ben-platt-interview-palace-residency/

RubyLee
#66BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/29/24 at 8:41am

That instagram statement "I open the Palace tonight" reflects what people are turned off by with him. I am trying to imagine Bernadette Peters saying that and I just can't. He comes across as inflated and it leaves me with zero desire to see him headline a concert.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#67BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/29/24 at 8:57am

I'm decidedly his admirer when he's in a musical theater role. Yet the signature Platt tic, the closed eyes on proudly achieved high notes, which once seemed tethered to a singularly troubled adolescent character, has endured in his concert persona. Outside of a book show, he’s a gifted but mannered performer that can be an acquired taste.

Thursday and Friday night performances remain on TDF as of 9 a.m. Wednesday. For fans, quite a good deal.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 5/29/24 at 08:57 AM

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#69BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/29/24 at 9:31am

Peter Barker said: "I lovea good vibrato but that was Sean Hayes Promises Promises level. Too muchand it gives concern for his technique."

I am not familiar with his own recordings but in the Broadway shows he has been in the amount of vibrato he relies on is a little too much for me.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#70BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/29/24 at 10:18am

OhHiii said: "As it relates to a superstar reopening the palace, they had one lined up. But it’s widely speculated she’s been pregnant this year up to this point, soprobably fell through for that reason. It was Lady Gaga. Which would have just been an EVENT. And they still aren’treallygiving a lot of fanfare around Ben being a grand reopening, so wonder if there’s a possibility another artist has something lined up this summer before Tammy."

Gaga isn't pregnant! She's literally doing her Vegas residency next month! Literally just announced her new album.

Updated On: 5/29/24 at 10:18 AM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#71BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/29/24 at 11:15am

That setlist is abysmal. Monopolized by his own material. I like the guy, but I find this egocentric and nothing I'd pay for as an "event". If he were doing standards and creating an event I'd find that more palatable. Again, that's just my opinion and means very little in the big picture. 

It is surprising he's not announcing guests to move tickets and allow those people's fans an opportunity to see them. That seems unwise, but clearly he has money to burn. 

I think he's done well in musicals but nothing about his solo career appeals to me. I'll continue to see him in musicals. The way he leans on that vibrato in Maybe This Time was very off putting. The more I seem him live the more I think his character choices for Evan were actually him. 

I also agree with another poster that a legend would never say "I'm opening the Palace tonight." I can't even see Patti saying that. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#72BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/29/24 at 11:47am

Ben Platt is only 30 years old. You’re comparing him to Bernadette and Patti who are legends and over age 70. 

I wouldn’t consider Ben a legend right now but he still has the potential to be one someday.

I am curious whether the set list last night will be the same throughout the residency or if he’ll make some changes.

A few of the songs he didn’t sing last night but I’ve appreciated through the years are: “Happy to be sad”, “Carefully”, “Older”, “So will I”, “In case you don’t live forever”, etc.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#73BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/29/24 at 11:55am

Wick3 said: "Ben Platt is only 30 years old. You’re comparing him to Bernadette and Patti who are legends and over age 70.

I wouldn’t consider Ben a legend right now but he still hasthe potential to be one someday.

I am curious whether the set list last night will be the same throughout the residency or if he’ll make some changes.

A few of the songs he didn’t sing last night but I’ve appreciated through the years are: “Happy to be sad”, “Carefully”, “Older”, “So will I”, “In case you don’t live forever”, etc.
"

What potential? His Pop career is a flop. Nobody listens to his music. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#74BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/29/24 at 11:56am

If he's going to have a guest every night, he should announce who it is to sell more tickets. The mezz was nearly empty last night. His grosses are going to be laughable when they come out next week.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Videos