Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 9

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

BarnabyTucker Profile Photo
BarnabyTucker
Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#201SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/26/23 at 12:18pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "Also interesting that they are calling him the "standby" when he is already in the cast, so he's technically an understudy, but I guess "understudy" is a dirty word for some people ha ha."

I know I’m a month late, but I feel the need to say that Nicholas Christopher isn’t being called “understudy” because it’s a dirty word. Understudy is the term for anyone on a chorus contract and standby is a principal contract. Both De Waal and Christopher are both on principal contracts, thus they get the standby title. Whoever is on a chorus contract and covering a part are regarded as understudies. My guess is DeLaney Westfall and Jonathan Christopher(Nicholas’ older brother, if I may add) are the Lovett and Sweeney understudies, respectively.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#202SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/2/23 at 6:22am

Annaleigh mentions that she is working with a dialect coach on her Cockney.
Meat Pies (One Meatless) with “Sweeney Todd” ’s Newest Stars

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#203SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/2/23 at 10:09am

Well, at least now we know the dietary restrictions of the leading players. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#204SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/2/23 at 11:18am

I've eaten at The Fort Restaurant. 

Here is another article on Groban:

https://www.playbill.com/article/josh-groban-knows-hes-not-your-typical-pick-for-sweeney-todd

Just give the world Love.

Musicaldudepeter
#205SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/2/23 at 11:36am

Even just from that meat pie article, I am so bored by this Ashford casting. That dialect coach/Cockney accent stuff was nauseating to even read. I really hope she pulls something completely fresh out of the bag for this. Both of them are so beyond pedestrian, especially compared to the last casting of Michael Cerveris and Patti LuPone, who were these Titan type of figures, older and more experienced, and who had more heft to them as performers. This Groban/Ashford pairing is so vanilla.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#206SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/2/23 at 11:52am

Speaking of heft, I have Carolee Carmello and Norm Lewis forever memorialized from the Tooting Arts production in the Village. They were both spectacular especially Carolee. 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#207SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/2/23 at 12:26pm

Melissa25 said: "Speaking of heft, I have Carolee Carmello and Norm Lewis forever memorialized from the Tooting Arts production in the Village. They were both spectacular especially Carolee."

IMO, Carolee can do no wrong! She's electric in everything she's in. It suck's she'll be in two shows this season and probably won't even get a nomination. Hopefully she'll get a well deserved Tony sometime soon!

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#208SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/2/23 at 12:49pm

jkcohen626: IMO, Carolee can do no wrong! She's electric in everything she's in. It suck's she'll be in two shows this season and probably won't even get a nomination. Hopefully she'll get a well deserved Tony sometime soon!

Fingers crossed!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#209SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/2/23 at 2:11pm

I am the biggest critic of Ashford both here and in Sunday (and yes I also saw Carolee and Norm and that production was so special). But at this point I am trying to go in with an open mind because I want to enjoy the show. 

Low key hoping that like HELLO, DOLLY! They might bring in Bernadette and Mandy as replacements and perhaps end the even longer preview period with Groban and Ashford :p. Probably won’t happen though. This is literally Bernadette’s last chance to play the role on Broadway, even if time has probably already gone. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Chase Miller
#210SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/2/23 at 3:50pm

How has Bernadette Peters as Ms.Lovett never happened? I think the role would fit her like a glove

bear88
#211SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/4/23 at 7:21pm

I understand the skepticism about the casting of the leads. But Josh Groban and Annaleigh Ashford don’t have to match some of the legendary performers who have been in Sweeney Todd in past years. Because I never saw those performances in person. I’m going to be seeing this show.

I have never seen Ashford, but I did think Groban did a fine job as Pierre in Great Comet. So between that and the full orchestra and other talented folks involved, I am cautiously optimistic.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#212SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/4/23 at 8:29pm

bear88 said: "I understand the skepticism about the casting of the leads. But Josh Groban and Annaleigh Ashford don’t have to match some of the legendary performers who have been inSweeney Toddin past years. Because I never saw those performances in person. I’m going to be seeing this show.

I have never seen Ashford, but I did think Groban did a fine job as Pierre inGreat Comet. So between that and the full orchestra and other talented folks involved, I am cautiously optimistic.

"

She will demand you find her funny before she even goes onstage.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

JSquared2
#213SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/4/23 at 9:48pm

blaxx said: "bear88 said: "I understand the skepticism about the casting of the leads. But Josh Groban and Annaleigh Ashford don’t have to match some of the legendary performers who have been inSweeney Toddin past years. Because I never saw those performances in person. I’m going to be seeing this show.

I have never seen Ashford, but I did think Groban did a fine job as Pierre inGreat Comet. So between that and the full orchestra and other talented folks involved, I am cautiously optimistic.

"

She will demand you find her funny before she even goes onstage.
"

Huh?  How would that work exactly??

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#214SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/5/23 at 2:59am

There's a 100000% chance she will be doing her usual gimmick. 

Musicaldudepeter
#215SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/5/23 at 5:26am

Her description of her Cockney accent training in that article was all I needed to read. I know exactly what she's gonna be doing on that stage.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#216SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/5/23 at 8:47am

Good lord, some of you are insufferable.

Personally, I'm very excited to SEE what choices are going to be made. I'll admit, I didnt love Ashford in SITPWG, but am hopeful, that both she and Groban will shine. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#217SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/5/23 at 10:05am

I loved Annaleigh in You Can’t Take it With You and hope she delivers a delicious performance.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#218SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/6/23 at 8:55am

According to my PVR, Gaten Matarazzo "from Broadway's Sweeney Todd" is going to be on Live with Kelly and Ryan. If he is in fact there to plug the show, this is the last place I'd assume he'd go. 

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#219SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/6/23 at 10:45am

I thought Ashford was just marvelous in Sunday in the Park with George. Excited to see her in this.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#220SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/19/23 at 8:25pm

Anyone plan on being there for first previews next week?

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#221SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/19/23 at 9:22pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "Anyone plan on being there for first previews next week?"

I will be at first preview! Very excited!

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#222SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/19/23 at 9:27pm

A rare first preview for me, as well.

Oh, and whoever was asking asking about orchestra rows A and B, they released seats in row B center the other night, for some performances. 

Updated On: 2/19/23 at 09:27 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#223SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/19/23 at 9:39pm

I’ll be there!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#224SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/20/23 at 12:34am

I wanted to be at the first preview but can't.  Going during the first full week of previews.

Just give the world Love.

Videos