pixeltracker

What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?- Page 3

What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?

KylePKJP Profile Photo
KylePKJP
#50What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 5/24/12 at 6:44pm

Laura Benanti. Beautiful. Elegant. Genuine. Heartfelt.

UnderTheHill
#51What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 6/3/12 at 12:13am

Greg Jbara IS extremely nice. He gave us a tour of the theatre after his performance of Billy Elliott, then went out to dinner with his wife and two kids between matinee and evening performances. Funny thing, while walking to the restaurant, we bumped into his ex-wife, Rebecca Luker, her husband Danny Burstein, and their two kids.

We saw him again during a friend's wedding and chatted for a while.

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#52What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 6/3/12 at 9:33am

Best Score - NEXT TO NORMAL

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#53What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 6/3/12 at 10:44am

In the Heights - Best Musical
Christine Baranski - Outstanding Featured Actress in a Play (Rumours)
Tommy - Best Musical
Harvey Fierstein - Best Actor In A Play (Torch Song Trilogy)

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#54What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 6/3/12 at 11:21am

Though it wasn't a surprise, I'd have to say Linda Lavin's win for Broadway Bound. The cheers from the tony audience said it all. She had given one of the great performances in the American theatre. A close second would be Gleason's win for Into the Woods, because the exquisite portrayal of an everywoman by a leading actress in a musical - a tradition known for iconic, twice as big as life characters - was justly recognized for what it was: perfection.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#55What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 6/3/12 at 11:34am

LaChanze in The Color Purple!!!

Patti LuPone was supposedly the favorite...but I feel LaChanze needed it more.

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#56What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 6/3/12 at 5:01pm

all the awards for SPRING AWAKENING and THE NORMAL HEART
Joanna Gleason for INTO THE WOODS

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#57What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/13/17 at 11:07pm

Bumping this thread, since I'd love to hear what people have to say over the last five years.

For me? Renée Elise Goldsberry, 2016's Best Featured Actress in a Musical. Jumped up and applauded in front of my TV. And her speech was just beautiful.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#58What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/13/17 at 11:13pm

Gavin Creel winning with Sutton presenting the award to him. Talk about a full circle moment. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#59What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/13/17 at 11:18pm

>Tommy - Best Musical<

The post this came from is over five years old, but just mentioning that this didn't happen. Kiss of the Spider Woman won Best Musical over Tommy. 

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

UncleCharlie
#60What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/13/17 at 11:37pm

Two of mine are Nina Arianda for Venus in Fur and Tracy Letts for Virginia Woolf, two of the most stunning, transfixing performances I've seen on a Broadway stage.

hork Profile Photo
hork
#61What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/13/17 at 11:40pm

I don't see most shows until after the Tonys, but, if this weren't the case, Fun Home winning Best Musical would have been my answer.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#62What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/13/17 at 11:48pm

Avenue Q.  The upset also made for great tv. 

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

JustAnotherNewYorker
#63What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/13/17 at 11:48pm

hork said: "I don't see most shows until after the Tonys, but, if this weren't the case, Fun Home winning Best Musical would have been my answer."

This. Was just going to post Fun Home.

Miserent Profile Photo
Miserent
#64What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/14/17 at 12:45am

Cynthia Erivo winning for The Color Purple.  I don't think I'll ever see a performance like that in my lifetime, she deserved it 500%..

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#65What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/14/17 at 1:00am

Lena Hall for Hedwig; Daveed Diggs for Hamilton; Rebecca Taichman for Indecent

mamaleh
#66What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/14/17 at 1:09am

Hugh Jackman for THE BOY FROM OZ

Jarethan
#67What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/14/17 at 1:14am

After Eight said: "So many posts/ threads expressing one's anger/disappointment at people being robbed of awards and nominations, from Ethel Merman to Laura Benanti to poor Bernadette Peters. It's not that I don't share such sentiments, but how about thinking positive for a change-- like the award wins that made us happy, even ecstatic?

Here are my top 3- I was on a cloud when these awards were announced. I'd be interested in hearing about the favorite moments of others as well.

1- Jerry Herman (La Cage) over Sondheim. That joyful noise you heard was my applause.
2- La Cage aux Folles over Sodden in the Dark with George for best musical. For once they got it right!
3- Julie Harris for best actress in Forty Carats. Ecstacy! If only the Morosco Theatre were still here and still playing Forty Carats! What a wonderful world it would be.

Julie Harris in 40 Carats is one of the most undeserved Tony wins EVER!!!  Was she a friend, that you singled it out?

Things I think of:

-- Lansbury in Mame.  Gwen Verdon was probably considered the frontrunner going in; there used to be a critics vote called something like the Variety Critics Award, and Verdon killed Lansbury in that.

-- Lillian Heyman in Hallelujah! Baby!.  Her performance was so joyful and I figured she wouldn't get a lot more chances.

-- Colleen Dewhurst.  The greatest performance I have seen on the stage to date.

-- Frances Ruffelle.  She was just so good as Eponine that you wanted to hug and protect her.

-- Nathan Lane in The Producers.  The performance gave men so much joy and I wanted it to be recognized.

-- Phil Silvers in A Funny Thing.  A consolation prize for the show being a flop despite great reviews (and he was wonderful).  (That was back in the days when revivals were major frowned upon by audiences).

-- Vanessa Redgrave.  Two reasons: (1) she was incredible; and (2) to make up for the snubs she got for Lady form the Sea and Orpheus Descending, both of which she should have been nominated for, and arguably won.

-- Patricia Rutledge.  She was so great in that show and got to do it for such a short time.  I was delighted that she was recognized, and she was just so happy to win it, even if she had to share it in a tie.

-- Viola Davis.  For a not-dissimilar reason.  She came from nowhere, completely blew me away, only got to play it for about 2 months on Broadway, to pretty empty houses.  It was recognition that not only was she not forgotten, they remembered her loud and clear.

-- Patti Lupone for Anything Goes.  Oh, wait, for some reason, they decided to vote for a supporting performer in a leading role for reasons I will NEVER understand, when Patti Lupone was giving a truly GREAT musical comedy performance for the ages.  (Worth mentioning that I am not a Patti Lupone crazy fan...just happen to think that she lost to a performance that wasn't even in the same league as hers).

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#68What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/14/17 at 1:28am

Kelli O'Hara in The King and I and Michael McGrath for Nice Work.

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#69What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/14/17 at 8:31am

Kelli O'Hara for The King and I.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#70What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/14/17 at 8:44am

A few that have made me smile over the past few years:

Laura Benanti - GYPSY

Kelli O'Hara - THE KING & I

NEXT TO NORMAL over BILLY ELLIOT for Score.

Norbert Leo Butz for CATCH ME IF YOU CAN - what a beautiful speech.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#71What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/14/17 at 8:53am

Fun Home winning over the empty, slick An American in Paris

Avenue Q winning best musical

Cynthia Nixon's win for her heartbreaking Birdie

Cynthia Erivo and Ben Platt - instant classic performances

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#72What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/14/17 at 9:11am

Off the top of my head:

Fun Home for Best Musical

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time for Best Play

Come From Away for Best Direction (I was just so glad it didn't get shut out)

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

persephone88
#73What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/14/17 at 10:24am

I second Nicholas Nickelby and the wonderful Roger Rees. David Threlfall as Smike was also desrved a win for Best Supporting IMO.

Thrilled with Ben Platt and Rachel Bay Jones' Tony wins for DEH. Also delighted to see Patina Miller win for Pippin.

TheThreadMaster Profile Photo
TheThreadMaster
#74What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/14/17 at 2:11pm

Michael Cerveris for Fun Home. Ben Platt for Dear Evan Hansen. Bandstand for choreography. Donna Murphy for Passion.