pixeltracker

Breaking News: Broadway's BRIGHT STAR Sets Closing Date

Breaking News: Broadway's BRIGHT STAR Sets Closing Date

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#2Breaking News: Broadway's BRIGHT STAR Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/14/16 at 7:03pm

Sad news Breaking News: Broadway's BRIGHT STAR Sets Closing Date

At least they have until the 26th and aren't closing this upcoming Sunday. Gives people a chance to see if it they've been putting it off.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#3Breaking News: Broadway's BRIGHT STAR Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/14/16 at 7:06pm

GET CARMEN A JOB!

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

smidge
#4Breaking News: Broadway's BRIGHT STAR Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/14/16 at 7:06pm

A lovely little show. Hopefully we'll see Carmen and the rest of the cast real soon.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#5Breaking News: Broadway's BRIGHT STAR Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/14/16 at 7:07pm

I hope everyone is happy now that this is closing. The vultures have been going after this show for a while begging for it to close. What will everyone talk about now?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

tja928 Profile Photo
tja928
#6Breaking News: Broadway's BRIGHT STAR Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/14/16 at 7:12pm

Darn! 2nd show that's closing on me a week before I'm going to be in NYC. Breaking News: Broadway's BRIGHT STAR Sets Closing Date

Eliza2 Profile Photo
Eliza2
#7Breaking News: Broadway's BRIGHT STAR Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/14/16 at 7:17pm

I'm so glad I got the chance to see this last week. The image of Carmen Cusack belting out the ending of "At Long Last" and then jumping up and down swinging her arms around at the end of it is something I won't soon forget.

hes16
#8Breaking News: Broadway's BRIGHT STAR Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/14/16 at 7:17pm

While this is sad, many of us definitely saw this coming. I'm surprised they held on for as long as they did! I hope Carmen finds a new job soon!

mmFan Profile Photo
mmFan
#9Breaking News: Broadway's BRIGHT STAR Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/14/16 at 7:19pm

Based on all the recommendations to go see it from members on here, that surprised me.  It seemed like it was really well liked .

Funny...If we ended up buying tickets, it would have been that closing show as we were looking for something on the 26th.

Updated On: 6/14/16 at 07:19 PM

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#10Breaking News: Broadway's BRIGHT STAR Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/14/16 at 7:19pm

While it had far from a desirable run length, I cherish the time It was here and the fact I was able to see such an array of Broadway talent (Cusack's being top of the class)  and enjoyed this little bluegrass jewel 

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Keiichi2 Profile Photo
Keiichi2
#11Breaking News: Broadway's BRIGHT STAR Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/14/16 at 7:20pm

So sad.  Was always rooting for this show to find an audience since I saw it back in April. 

Even if it was a short run, congratulations to the cast and crew for a fine show!

Hairspray0901
#12Breaking News: Broadway's BRIGHT STAR Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/14/16 at 7:42pm

So sad to hear this! Though, as others have said, not surprising. I've had the pleasure of seeing it 4 times and have tickets again for the 23rd. It is such a beautiful little show and Carmen Cusack is such an incredible talent. Can't wait to see what's next for all involved!

Petrichor
#13Breaking News: Broadway's BRIGHT STAR Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/14/16 at 7:42pm

What a shame, I so badly wanted this show to have a long and successful run. I'm glad I got to see it, though. Here's hoping the brilliant Carmen Cusack and co. will find other roles soon!

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#14Breaking News: Broadway's BRIGHT STAR Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/14/16 at 7:46pm

Not surprising, but still sad. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#15Breaking News: Broadway's BRIGHT STAR Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/14/16 at 7:50pm

Very sad...wonderful little show with the incredible Carmen Cusack.  It's a shame it didn't catch on.  

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#16Breaking News: Broadway's BRIGHT STAR Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/14/16 at 7:52pm

ACL2006 said: "I hope everyone is happy now that this is closing. The vultures have been going after this show for a while begging for it to close. What will everyone talk about now?"

I don't know of anyone who is happy, but I also don't see any vultures begging for it to close. Perhaps you misapprehend a clear eyed assessment of what has been obvious from the get-go for ill wishes, but that's just you projecting.  What will we talk about? There's plenty; it's not like Bright Star has consumed the conversation. We have a whole theatre season aborning. And lots of interesting things happening every day. 

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#17Breaking News: Broadway's BRIGHT STAR Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/14/16 at 8:03pm

Very sad to hear this. The show had really been off my radar until the Tony performance. I thought it was absolutely the best performance of the night. Promised myself to look for tickets today. But I don't think I'll be able to catch it before it closes. frown

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

Broadway Forever2
#18Breaking News: Broadway's BRIGHT STAR Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/14/16 at 8:19pm

I'm surprised they didn't wait to see if it got a post tony boost. but I guess Steve martin was already spending his own money on the show. 

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#19Breaking News: Broadway's BRIGHT STAR Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/14/16 at 8:39pm

This show was the surprise highlight of the season for me. It should do well regionally in the Midwest and in the South. 

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#20Breaking News: Broadway's BRIGHT STAR Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/14/16 at 8:47pm

Broadway Forever2 said: "I'm surprised they didn't wait to see if it got a post tony boost. " 

They did. It didn't.

A Canadian in NYC Profile Photo
A Canadian in NYC
#21Breaking News: Broadway's BRIGHT STAR Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/14/16 at 8:49pm

After having AP close before my trip, I'm thankful that I'll be seeing Bright Star on the 22nd. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#22Breaking News: Broadway's BRIGHT STAR Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/14/16 at 9:02pm

This just hurts my heart.

Just give the world Love.

Relevance81491
#23Breaking News: Broadway's BRIGHT STAR Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/14/16 at 9:03pm

Was this a great musical? No, but it was a really fun night at the theatre and my second favorite new musical of the season. While the plot line was hokey, atleast the show was able to laugh at its self 

Is there any truth to the rumor that Carmen will do the role on tour?  I remember reading a coment about it here

VintageSnarker
#24Breaking News: Broadway's BRIGHT STAR Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/14/16 at 9:08pm

It wasn't on my favorites list but I agree with Relevance that it was a fun night at the theatre. It's a shame for this great cast.

The only criticism I'll offer is that the "utterly free of irony" argument seems disingenuous. I vaguely remember similar lines getting trotted out, definitely for Doctor Zhivago. Maybe from Amazing Grace and some other shows too.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#25Breaking News: Broadway's BRIGHT STAR Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/14/16 at 9:15pm

I love the show despite its flaws. So sad to hear to news. Maybe Cusack can fly to Gershwin and defy gravity like she did in Chicago.