pixeltracker

Your First Broadway Show- Page 3

Your First Broadway Show

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#50Your First Broadway Show
Posted: 7/17/16 at 9:18pm

"Pipe Dream in 1956, I was five years old." DanceEditor for the win so far, but I know, it's not a competition.

Mine was the original FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, in 1967 when I was 11, by which point Harry Goz had replaced Hershel Bernardi who had replaced Zero Mostel. (I did get to see Zero as Tevye maybe 10 years later in his Bway revival.) But my really transformative Bway memory came 6 years later seeing the original cast of A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC. Dec 31, 1973.

Sherbear8081
#51Your First Broadway Show
Posted: 7/17/16 at 10:04pm

My first broadway show was Matilda in 2014.  I had the music stuck in my head for about a month!

asmith0307
#52Your First Broadway Show
Posted: 7/17/16 at 10:22pm

Specifically on Broadway (not tours) - March 11, 2011. Spider-Man 1.0. With a stop because Patrick Page was in the air when he should not have been. 

Broadway was a lot less scary after that. 

freewilma
#53Your First Broadway Show
Posted: 7/17/16 at 10:37pm

I had seen a number of Broadway tours thru the years, but my first show actually ON Broadway was Phantom of the Opera on July 2, 1990....which happened to be my 24th birthday.  My mother decided she HAD to see the show and called the box office to find out when was the first time she could get tickets.  Their answer was on my birthday and she immediately purchased tickets for the whole family.  On the same trip (and maybe the next day) we saw Kathleen Turner and Charles During in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.  

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#54Your First Broadway Show
Posted: 7/17/16 at 10:40pm

"Same Time, Next Year" with Ellen Burstyn and Charles Grodin in 1975.

Updated On: 7/18/16 at 10:40 PM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#55Your First Broadway Show
Posted: 7/17/16 at 11:29pm

Bob Fosse's PIPPIN.  Imperial Theatre.  1972.  I was 7 years old.  It was shortly after it opened on Broadway so no understudies: the original cast intact.  I became obsessed with all things Bob Fosse after this.  Lucky this was a huge period for him too so he was everywhere during this time: LIZA WITH A Z on NBC TV and his film adaptation of CABARET at the movies.  

Finch
#56Your First Broadway Show
Posted: 7/17/16 at 11:30pm

On Broadway--the original Music Man with Preston, Cook and Hodges.  

Tour--Auntie Mame with Silvia Sydney 

Julie Yard
#57Your First Broadway Show
Posted: 7/17/16 at 11:44pm

Pippin - original Broadway cast with Ben Vereen, I was about 14. Even though I grew up in Queens, Broadway was a long way from my life. My best friend took me for my birthday (good friend!) . And the orgy scene knocked me out... girls rolling under the Prince, one after the other. Fabulous.

Dolittle

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#58Your First Broadway Show
Posted: 7/17/16 at 11:53pm

Promises, Promises in 1971, one of our family's first New York trips. Lorna Luft was Fran, and hearing her sing "Knowing When to Leave" is still one of my all-time favorite theatre moments. 

MimiLovesRoger Profile Photo
MimiLovesRoger
#59Your First Broadway Show
Posted: 7/18/16 at 12:26am

Mine was The Drowsy Chaperone at age 16. I was on cloud nine the entire time!

BroadwayMan5
#60Your First Broadway Show
Posted: 7/18/16 at 1:49am

The 2001 42nd Street revival... saw it in 2004 and loved it!!

mailhandler777
#61Your First Broadway Show
Posted: 7/18/16 at 3:49am

Miss Saigon in 1993. Can't wait to see the revival.  My 2nd Broadway show was Les Miserables 14 years later in 2007.

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#62Your First Broadway Show
Posted: 7/18/16 at 4:04am

[title of show] was my first show on Broadway (one of only a few which played on a Monday evening.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#63Your First Broadway Show
Posted: 7/18/16 at 5:50am

Mine was The Light in the Piazza.  I remember Kelli O'Hara running in silhouette infront of a glowing golden curtain so vividly.  I feel like I saw it yesterday.  I have since seen lincoln Center's revival of South Pacific and The King and I.  Both are incredibly fond theatrical moments for me.

I also saw Spelling Bee on that same trip and was blown away by it.  I really do think that it is one of the greatest musical comedies ever written.  It's so human and funny and touching.

followspot Profile Photo
followspot
#64Your First Broadway Show
Posted: 7/18/16 at 8:54am

High school trip, two-show day:
LuPone & Patinkin, EVITA
Lansbury & Cariou, SWEENEY TODD
Post-show cast meet-and-greets
Young mind blown open

"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."

jennab113 Profile Photo
jennab113
#65Your First Broadway Show
Posted: 7/18/16 at 10:36am

My first show on Broadway was Beauty and the Beast.  It was with a group on spring break in college and I was not happy about the choice, but was overruled by other people in the group.  It was 2003 and I'd already seen that show on tour a couple times.

The first show that I picked was Newsies.

The first show I saw on tour was Les Miserables.

BroadMagTech
#66Your First Broadway Show
Posted: 7/18/16 at 10:49am

My first musical was the Lion King at the Bushnell in Hartford, CT. My first Broadway musical was Shrek the Musical. First play was War Horse

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#67Your First Broadway Show
Posted: 7/18/16 at 10:53am

luvcaroline said: "Promises, Promises in 1971, one of our family's first New York trips. Lorna Luft was Fran, and hearing her sing "Knowing When to Leave" is still one of my all-time favorite theatre moments. 

Hi luvcaroline!

Have I got a treat for you!

Here is Lorna with co-stars Bill Gerber and Norman Shelley in "Promises, Promises".

Your First Broadway Show

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable
Updated On: 7/18/16 at 10:53 AM

loveinnewyorkcity Profile Photo
loveinnewyorkcity
#68Your First Broadway Show
Posted: 7/18/16 at 11:09am

Mine was Chitty Chitty Bang Bang back in 05' I believe. The only thing I remember about the show was the drive there and walking into the theater and getting my ticket scanned; nothing from the actual show itself.

characterism
#69Your First Broadway Show
Posted: 7/18/16 at 11:22am

My first Broadway show was 9 to 5 while it was still in previews mid-April 2009.  I was on a trip with my high school drama club and our teacher, who was a really big Dolly Parton fan, got to pick the shows. I liked it well enough at the time, but after seeing a few more Broadway shows and many many tours since then I can see why it didn't last.  Megan Hilty and Stephanie J Block were fantastic though.

The first Broadway Tour I saw, however, was the RENT one in early 2009 with Anthony Rapp, Adam Pascal and Gwen Stewart.  For someone who was only mildly interested in musicals at the time, it blew my mind.  And now, 7 years later, I listen to show-tunes 90% of the time.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#70Your First Broadway Show
Posted: 7/18/16 at 11:24am

Avenue Q when I was 16, at the Golden.

...the armrest came off of my seat.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Morales2 Profile Photo
Morales2
#71Your First Broadway Show
Posted: 7/18/16 at 11:39am

My first Broadway show I saw on Broadway was the original Les Miserables in 1988. It was about a year after it opened.  I had strep throat and my parents said I didn't make a peep.  I was memorized.  An obsession started that day.

The first Broadway show I ever saw on stage was a Chorus Line when it was on tour in 1985.  Donna Mckechnie was in that tour.  

BWAY Baby2
#72Your First Broadway Show
Posted: 7/18/16 at 11:39am

My first show- at age 9- was Carnival- followed by Fiorello- both were near closing- I looked them both up on google- and since then probably thousands have followed- the first show I truly loved was By Bye Birdie- The Telephone Song had me in ecstasy.

classicalmusicplayer2
#73Your First Broadway Show
Posted: 7/18/16 at 11:42am

H2$ with Nick Jonas. I had played in pits and done tech work in High School but wasn't a mega fan. I honestly only went because I wanted to check seeing a broadway show off my list and I thought Nick Jonas was really cute so it was a bonus. 

But something clicked that night. 

Fast foward to now where I'm finishing up my last year of training at one of the top musical theatre programs in the world. 

Life was never the same. 

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#74Your First Broadway Show
Posted: 7/18/16 at 11:44am

Annie (1/15/7Your First Broadway Show with the original Broadway cast.  It was about a month prior to Andrea McArdle leaving.  I was absolutely mesmerized the entire time.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany