pixeltracker

THE BAND'S VISIT Previews- Page 5

THE BAND'S VISIT Previews

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#100THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/10/17 at 5:14pm

QueenAlice said: "I mean tableaus created by the staging. Cromer has directed this in a way that there are always subtle things happening in all the corners of the stage.

You won't miss any projections.
"

Got it - that makes sense. I agree that it's a worthy trade-off to have such an intimate view of the actors... hopefully my parents agree. :) Thanks!

3GamesToLove
#101THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/10/17 at 5:18pm

I'm fourth row of the front mezzanine, to the SL side. Hoping it's not too far, but couldn't justify spending too much more--I have very intimate experiences in the rest of my weekend with Sweeney Todd and Ghost Quartet, so...

Owen22
#102THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/10/17 at 6:07pm

Unless things have changed drastically since the Atlantic production, the Band's Visit is a full blown musical. It is not a "play with music".  Music comes out of the air (despite that it's provided by the "character band" not the pit). The character band is not playing songs that the characters know. These characters are singing their emotions and advancing plot and character. The lyrics, poetic as they are, are dialogue. Not comment.  There are a couple of numbers like that, but the instrumental "Sonny" playing in the background at the roller rink is really the closest this play really comes to being a "play with music".

mint0621 Profile Photo
mint0621
#103THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/10/17 at 8:19pm

theatretenor2 said: "We enjoyed the preview tonight. At times, it felt incredibly slow. I noticed a few people leave about 3/4 of the way through. Noticed a few people looking at their watches. Having seen Dear Evan Hansen last night and Come From Away this afternoon, I don't think I was personally quite prepared for something as sedate as TBV. I can see how this might struggle to find a mainstream audience.The performances were fantastic, especially Katrina and the band. I think I'd want to see it again when I'm not so tired to give a better opinion.

My favorites were "The Beat of Your Heart,"Omar Sharif," Something's Different," and "Answer Me."
"

Agree with this review - I was at the first preview performance, and I was blown away by the musicians and loved the songs. Touching story - no plot really, I was a little thrown off by the ending - "You have beautiful eyes"...and I would say - pretty severe pacing issues, which I hope they will address before the opening night.

Loved Adam Kantor's role as the Telephone Man - very poignant and human. The roller skating rink scenes and songs were fantastic.

I hope I am wrong but I don't see this show finding a solid core audience - so I encourage you to watch sooner than later.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#104THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/10/17 at 9:40pm

Owen- I never said the show was a play with music; I said it has the spirit and tone of a play with music.  There is far more dialogue than the normal book musical, some of the characters- including the male lead - don’t sing, and those audiences coming in expecting traditional musical structure and pacing might be disappointed. 

The Broadway production actually does feature a couple of  characters singing some brief snippets of well known songs mostly from the Chet Baker catalog. So it’s definitely not accurate to say every bit of music on the stage was written for the musical.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”
Updated On: 10/10/17 at 09:40 PM

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#105THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/11/17 at 12:50am

10086sunset said: "GreasedLightning said: "Does anyone know if there’s a projected cast recording release date?"

There was a sign regarding this at the merch table in the basement near the bathrooms.

I didn't take a close look but believe it said something about pre ordering.
"

The sign just says that you can preorder - there is no projected release date as of yet, and according to the man working there they may not have settled on a label yet. 

I caught this tonight and absolutely adored it. One of my favorite things I've seen in  a while. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#106THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/11/17 at 9:51am

Well this morning I exchanged my rear mezzanine ticket to a front mezzanine one for only $10. Thanks to those who described the view from the rear mezz. But I'm pretty vertically challenged so I was a little worried I'd spend the entire musical peering over the wall.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#107THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/11/17 at 11:18am

Well, I am going to have to be the sole voice of dissent on The Band’s Visit. I found the entire affair to be mind numbingly dull beyond belief. Meandering, dense, dull, endless, and absolutely pointless. Shout out to Katrina Lenk, though, for delivering a stellar performance. This was without a doubt the longest and most boring 90 minutes I have ever spent in a Broadway theatre. I’m glad everyone else liked this, but it wasn’t for me.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

BroadwayBeebe
#108THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/11/17 at 12:09pm

bwayphreak234 said: "Well, I am going to have to be the sole voice of dissent on The Band’s Visit. I found the entire affair to be mind numbingly dull beyond belief. Meandering, dense, dull, endless, and absolutely pointless. Shout out to Katrina Lenk, though, for delivering a stellar performance. This was without a doubt the longest and most boring 90 minutes I have ever spent in a Broadway theatre. I’m glad everyone else liked this, but it wasn’t for me."

I was in the last row center mezz on Monday night and had the exact same feeling. You are simply more brave than I to be the first to voice it. I was extremely disappointed that everyone sitting around me found something I seemed to miss. I thought it had charming moments and performances, but the show as a whole I really didn't enjoy. I wish it the best and hope it finds an audience as it clearly is being enjoyed and praised by the vast majority. 

Alfie6
#109THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/11/17 at 12:20pm

I was expecting to be blown away by this and kept checking my watch more than I wanted to- Katrina Lenk was phenomenal and the music was beautiful but the pacing was deadly. This is a score I would listen to on repeat but nothing something I would go back and see twice. I want to give a shout out to Ari'el Stachel who I was unfamiliar with and also found excellent. There are some scenes I loved such as the dinner scene and the disco scene but I really hope the pacing is tightened up in previews. Ari'el Stachel and Tony Shalhoub signed a few Playbills and took some pictures with people at the stage door. I would still recommend this just for Katrina Lenk and the score but bring a fidget spinner (I'm joking don't actually do that). 

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#110THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/11/17 at 12:49pm

I believe the pacing is intentional. Obviously, they might still be finding their footing on Broadway, but it’s definitely a show where silence and the unsaid speak volumes. Nothing happens in the town, but even with the arrival of the band, this is how Bet Hatikva takes in new life and new experiences. An accidental visit heightens emotion and connection not in a flashy way but in a human way and everyone leaves changed. It’s like experiencing life in real time and not in the tight pacing of conventional musical theatre. This is why people liken it to the feel of a play with music or an independent film. I believe all of that is what they were going for.

I do fear it won’t resonate with a typical musical theatre crowd, but I found it entirely refreshing and so non-commercial, especially when comparing it to the other shows coming in this season (Mean Girls, Frozen, SpongeBob, Margaritaville, Harry Potter). The risk-taking of bringing this to Broadway is very exciting. We should have more fresh, different types of shows out there and have people make up their minds about it when they see it and not before they buy their tickets. And not to mention the diverse representation this show brings to Broadway, which is still so sorely needed. A subtle message of Israelis and Arabs connecting in a peaceful way...it’s heavenly and a much needed message in our world.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#111THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/11/17 at 1:05pm

The pacing is absolutely deliberate. This show will run long enough to satisfy the New Yorkers who want to see it  which is about 18 months. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#112THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/11/17 at 1:20pm

I saw this last night and overall enjoyed the spirit of the show. I didn't know anything about it but while waiting for my friend outside the theater, I overheard one of the producers tell his friends that it's a quiet musical and after seeing it, I completely agree. I sat in row E front side mezz and the view was great! Legroom was great (I think the legroom in front mezz is better than rear mezz.) My ticket was $69 and it was worth it for a full-view front side mezz seat. 

One thing I found odd was how Katrina Lenk was not given the last bow alone. She shared it with Tony and yes I understand Tony is more famous in mainstream America but I generally felt Katrina deserved it more. 

I really enjoyed the roller skate scene. It's a scene I certainly have experienced when I was younger. 

For some reason, I just presumed there was going to be an intermission so yes, I checked my watch 3/4 of the way. It felt long. Given its slow pace and quiet musical, I actually think it may help it if it has a 15 minute intermission where friends can chat about the show and those who are not understanding the content can at least learn from friends some of the subtle areas they may be missing.

Also, I understand the Egyptian/Israeli accents make it more realistic, but I wish there were surtitles so I can fully understand what they were saying.

3GamesToLove
#113THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/11/17 at 3:21pm

A friend was at the first preview and said she loved the music but wasn't as crazy by its plotlessness--but did say that it seems like "my kind of show."

Seeing Annie Baker's "The Flick"--a three hour show of three people just talking, or not talking, is one of my all-time favorite theatrical experiences, so I think this one is right up my alley.

ArtMan
#114THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/11/17 at 3:41pm

Updated On: 10/11/17 at 03:41 PM

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#115THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/11/17 at 10:02pm

Hoping to chat with someone about this - caught this tonight as I try and see as much as I possibly can, and missed this at Atlantic. Obviously the buzz from the in-crowd has been radiant, and the audience went NUTS tonight. But I ultimately came away scratching my head. I didn’t not enjoy it - but I didn’t like it, either. Now I love character studies, and long meditative plots and stories, but I truly can’t figure out the reasoning for why this story is being told, and more importantly, why I should care? My favorite moments were Katrina’s song and the big group number at the end, but I was never moved by the production. Maybe it was my seat in the rear mezz which I didn’t find ideal for this production and lacked intimacy, but I didn’t care for the book or most of the music (it all sounded extremely similar) either. Very interested to hear what About this show moves people so much, as it certainly did not move me. Overall a very “meh” night. 

On a more aggressive note, who is the audience for this? Once the NYC elite finish with it, I cannot imagine this show finding any kind of broad success? Could it last until Tonys?

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#116THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/11/17 at 10:10pm

I do think where you sit for the show matters. Rear mezz is in my opinion too far away to connect with the material

I can’t say I was exceptionally moved while I was watching the show, but reflecting on it over the past couple days, I find it all very moving. The point of the story is of course how small, seemingly inconsequential events can change peoples lives.  You should care, because your life has been changed by people you don’t know in very small ways that seem meaningless. And if we, as a collective could just be a little more aware of that, perhaps we would be just a little bit kinder, and the world would be perhaps just a little bit of a better place. I understand those that will feel this message is not big enough for musical theater, or Broadway, or Broadway prices.

But clearly, there are many who are connecting with the show, because the word-of-mouth and the ticket sales are very strong. I’m sure it will stick around till Tony season. It’s going to win a few Tony’s as well and that will no doubt help.

Updated On: 10/11/17 at 10:10 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#117THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/11/17 at 11:51pm

I haven't seen the show yet - hopefully this week - but I saw it at the Atlantic, and I really connected with it because it doesn't go where you think it goes. I like the fact that it doesn't pan out into a happily every ever sentiment, but stays true the point of living in the moment and connecting with the people around you. But, don't beat yourself up about it! Some shows just don't click for some people. I hated Junk, but others seem to enjoy it. It is what it is! 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#118THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/12/17 at 1:29am

QueenAlice said: "I do think where you sitfor the show matters. Rear mezzis in my opiniontoo far away to connect with the material"

I disagree. The show is in a small theatre. I do not think I would have liked this show even if I was in the front row.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

BakerWilliams Profile Photo
BakerWilliams
#119THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/12/17 at 1:32am

QueenAlice said: "I do think where you sitfor the show matters. Rear mezzis in my opiniontoo far away to connect with the material"

I also disagree. I was in the rear mez and found it to be exceptionally moving and almost unbearably sad.

"In memory, everything happens to music"

greenifyme2
#120THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/12/17 at 9:27am

Does anyone know how much box seats are?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#121THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/12/17 at 10:37am

Wick, where would you put an intermission?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

NYfanfromCA Profile Photo
NYfanfromCA
#122THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/12/17 at 11:03am

I saw this last night.  Bought my seat as soon as I could when they were available and sat in K2, great side aisle orchestra seat.  Enjoyed the music and Katrina Lenk was amazing.  Agree it is slow-paced and I found myself thinking about what I was going to eat after the show let out, even though I wasn't particularly hungry.  This was my 9th show in 6 nights, so maybe I was just tired, but I thought this might be my favorite show, so I saved it for last.

I thought that the accents were hard to understand at times, and sometimes inconsistent.  It made it a bit distracting.  I got confused by two characters dressed similarly in the soft lighting, so wasn't sure what was going on in those scenes.  I couldn't understand anything one character was singing, even though he didn't sing with an accent.  I think maybe he wasn't loud enough because it was a quiet song, and when he had a moment when he was emotional and loud, I could tell that he had an amazing voice, but also couldn't understand what he said.

i enjoyed the humor, and it was nice to see Tony Shalhoub.  To me, it was sweet, cute, delightful at times, touching.  Loved the music, so I'm sure I will listen to the cast recording over and over once it is released.  Might consider seeing it again at a discount  at a later date if I have an empty show slot.

After Eight
#123THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/12/17 at 12:51pm

Having suffered through this drab, trite, tuneless bore at the Atlantic, I could not bring myself to sit through it again on Broadway.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#124THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/12/17 at 12:51pm

Since when has not liking something ever stopped you from suffering through it again so you can whine anew?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."