pixeltracker

HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17- Page 2

HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#25HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 5:43am

haterobics said: "Clyde15 said: "Any idea why this show is closing? It seems weird when it is still consistently grossing +1mil a week"

Couldn't get a big enough name to continue after Bernadette?
"

I'm guessing whatever name they had lined up after Peters fell through. Maybe they'll just let the u/s alt the 8th show?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
willep
#27HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 7:10am

According to the article on BWW, Gavin is returning on May 8th.

ETA: didn’t see LesWickedly’s post as it was lost in the page turn.

Updated On: 4/20/18 at 07:10 AM

willrolandsframes
#28HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 7:12am

This doesn’t make any sense whatsoever. The show has most certainly recouped and I’d presume it’s achieving much more than simply “meeting it’s nut” each week.

If anything, this wreaks of Rudin schemery.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#29HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 7:15am

Damn them for announcing this so late last night! I was so amped up that I couldn't fall asleep, and now I'm exhausted this morning!

Dollypop
#30HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 7:36am

Life without DOLLY???????

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

labellaragazza1 Profile Photo
labellaragazza1
#31HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 7:38am

Wow. The only thing I can say is I am shocked. I certainly expects this to run much longer, it’s such a wonderful production.

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#32HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 7:42am

I’ve heard that Bernadette Peters is very good at her role as Dolly. Hopefully with the excitement of this announcement, and the possibility of reduced sales and empty seats, that won’t fade. And I’m sure that once I’m sitting in my seat and the show begins, I’ll be very excited.

But right now this is sort of a buzz kill. Being very flexible in my travel plans, and not seeing this coming, I booked my flight and hotel already for the end of next month, and was looking just last night and punching the BUY button on “The Band’s Visit”.

Now I’m looking at how many ways I can trim my trip (cutting that second show, not buying those next day visits to The Top of the Rock, and WTC Museum and Memorial) so that I can possibly afford a return to NYC to see this again with Bette Midler. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#33HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 7:44am

I wonder if they had someone else lined up, but they fell through. So this was plan B.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

rg7759
#34HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 8:01am

See great comet, was that so hard?

Jakeevan942
#35HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 8:04am

I can actually see this being strategic on Rudin's part. Tickets for Bette's run go sale next Saturday at 10am. We all know that they will likely be gone by noon. Then he can start advertising that seeing the show now is your last chance to see it, as the final 6 weeks are sold out. Just a thought.

And closing in late August gives them just enough time to re-purpose some of the costumes and other stuff for the tour, and just long enough for some/all of the ensemblists to transition directly into the Production contract tour, if they want to keep working on the show.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#36HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 8:41am

Bummer.  Guess I should put my hopes of a Vanessa Williams and Brian Stokes Mitchell pairing aside.

I'm speculating that since August 25th is a Saturday, that they'll resort to their 7 performance show schedule and no Donna Murphy (who I gladly would have made the trip to see again in the role).

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

MoveOnGypsy Profile Photo
MoveOnGypsy
#37HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 9:05am

I saw Bette three times, Donna seven and Bernadette twice (once more on July 15th). I have no interest in seeing Bette again. She was great all three times I saw her but I enjoyed Donna and Bernadette much more. It's been a great show and had a fantastic run! This show brings so much joy to everyone it touches!

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#38HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 9:13am

Color me disappointed, and for two reasons. 

ellbellthomps
Liza's Headband
#40HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 9:16am

The show recouped three weeks ago. It's not a massive cash show as some would think. 

Telegram Spam
#41HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 9:17am

willrolandsframes said: "This doesn’t make any sense whatsoever. The show has most certainly recouped and I’d presume it’s achieving much more than simply “meeting it’s nut” each week.

If anything, this wreaks of Rudin schemery.
"

I'm not surprised at this closing announcement. I passed by TKTS three Fridays ago and "Hello Dolly" was available. Moreover, it was during the spring break period, and only two hours before show time.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#42HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 9:18am

This is disappointing. The show could have gone on much longer, with a variety of names going into various roles. It is such a great production and I find it a shame they’re folding, and bringing back Bette. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#43HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 9:26am

You have to put yourself in the mind of Scott Rudin, and you also have to read the tea leaves. 

1. He was not going to parade a bunch of people through this. From the beginning it was all about the star and not the show. (And there was a reason for that.)

2. Peters offered a unique opportunity. She also lost half the money. Someone else would cause a further hit, and then the show would limp to an unceremonious closing. 

3. As has been said above, Midler's return will sell out immediately. That then puts Peters right back where she was demand-wise. 

4. Rudin made the announcement on the night of the MFL reviews. That was not a coincidence; it's pure Rudin: NB he has a reason not to be nice to MFL. (Which has likely just rained on his parade, if you will excuse the mixed metaphor.)

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#44HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 9:28am

I wonder if there’s any chance Buckley will take Murphy’s schedule when Bette returns?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#45HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 9:30am

It's very easy for us to say it should have run longer with a litany of great older actresses....well, either those same actresses aren't interested, and/or Rudin felt he couldn't afford them.  (Especially if they JUST re-couped as Liza stated.   

Really good revivals usually last between a year and 18 months.  (Obviously, Chicago can't be in included in that "average".) 

While I loved the show (and Donna was my favorite) I'm going to be glad it was, instead of bemoan it's end.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#46HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 9:39am

Liza's Headband said: "The show recouped three weeks ago. It's not a massive cash show as some would think."

This makes sense. Bette coming back for a limited time will help give the investors a last minute cash surge post-recouping. 

I wish the show could go on and on, but I'd rather see it go out with a bang rather than a fizzle. Happy Creel is returning earlier - bought tickets to see Bernadette for June, but also wanted to see him again. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

WaffleOnWheels
#47HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 9:42am

First off, wow. There was a lot of missed potential for our enjoyment, but I guess this makes some sense business wise. 

I'm not experienced in this, so how much will tickets go on sale for? Since this is obviously going to be a high demand event, will the prices start higher, or is it just a matter of getting them before they go? Thanks. 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#48HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 9:44am

Well my prediction was always that the show would do a small extension to close Labor Day, either with Bernadette extending or Betty doing a pre-tour engagement. I never saw this coming!

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22