pixeltracker

Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?- Page 5

Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#100Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/11/18 at 11:57pm

JBroadway said: "The book/script is a little messy; not all of the many storylines feel fully fleshed out, and some of the character arcs feel a little unfinished."

Hmm, you think this is more just the cast settling into the piece? I just figured since the show was so well received, it should be pretty solid as far as the storyline, etc.

brian1973
#101Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/12/18 at 3:45am

No sadly in London, the ‘plot’ was always a hot mess. I’m fact it was totally unsatisying except when the songs take over, Don’t go to this expecting a great musical.. it ain’t. 

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
nasty_khakis
#103Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/12/18 at 12:07pm

I was also there last night and was frankly bored to tears.

For starters, it's SO dimly lit it was hard to track anything or see anyone's faces at any time. I don't need flat sit com bright lights, but seeing actors faces should be important for a majority of the play.

The songs served no purpose and do nothing to move the plot along or show or develop character. They seem to happen at random and are mostly all staged the same-- lead vocal stand up front on an "olde timey" mic while everyone else circles around another mic in the back of the stage and sings back up. While there are some terrific voices the songs are just kind of static and...there.

Performances are strange but mostly-solid considering the mess of a script and the fact it's their first preview. 

As for the, well, script I guess, it was all over the map starting with the sometimes we feel like narrating and just spitting out exposition and sometimes we don't format. I don't understand what "condition" Mare is supposed to have (seems to just be a plot device to have her deep/spiritual when needed, but a prop when not). Each character is basically introduced with some sort of hope (or slim glimmer of hope) but then nothing ever comes of any of it. A million little things are brought up about a pregnancy but nothing is ever made of any of it.  A girlfriend is introduced early on but never seen or mentioned again. A death happens and it's so unclear what has happened and almost immediately it seems to have been forgiven/forgotten. The last ten minutes are essentially a everything and the kitchen sink list of "welp, Character A had this tragic thing happen, Character B also did something tragic, etc etc" Since you care for literally no one in this flop house, how can we expect to care about their fates?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#104Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/12/18 at 5:35pm

brian1973 said: "No sadly in London, the ?plot’ was always a hot mess. I’m fact it was totally unsatisying except when the songs take over, Don’t go to this expecting a great musical.. it ain’t."

Sounds like I should sell my ticket before word gets out then, heh. I was already looking to flip this from an evening to a matinee, sounds like I should just flip it off my schedule.

Dolly80
#105Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/12/18 at 6:44pm

No go! I still enjoyed it- but purely for the great songs plus the London cast were sensational, particularly the two lead women (who both won Olivier Awards for it)

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#106Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/12/18 at 7:28pm

haterobics, I whole heartedly endorse your sticking with your plan to see this show. I saw it in London and I thought it was gorgeous. I'm not sure if Ms Winningham can move me like Shirley Henderson did, but I will welcome the chance to be moved like that again. What she did at the end of the first act, singing the reprise of "Like a Rolling Stone" is why I go to the theater. I was truly speechless and overwhelmed with emotion. 

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

GingerSnaps2
#107Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/12/18 at 8:36pm

There was an article in yesterday's Times about McPherson's approach in constructing this "play with music" that is very interesting and somewhat illuminating.

(Sorry, for some reason I cannot include the link.)

I'm seeing the Friday night preview.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#108Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/12/18 at 9:58pm

nasty_khakis said: "The songs served no purpose and do nothing to move the plot along or show or develop character."

You're entirely welcome to your opinion of course (like I said before, I can totally understand how this show wouldn't be for everyone). But I do think this particular comment speaks to the question of how the show should be categorized. By saying the songs were used poorly because they didn't advance the plot or develop the character, you're suggesting that's what songs in shows are supposed to do. Which they are -- in MUSICALS. But this show isn't really a musical, for the very reason you pointed out. The songs aren't grounded in the plot or characters, and they aren't supposed to be. They are primary used to evoke a mood, or to express a more raw, generalized emotional state. 

I think if I had gone into the show expecting a musical, I would have been disappointed. In the same way that, if I go to the Met expecting naturalistic acting, I'm going to be disappointed. But knowing that this show was more of a play with music beforehand, I didn't feel the need to judge the use of music by the standards of musical theatre conventions, and I was more inclined to let the music move me in a looser, more visceral way. 

All of your criticisms of the writing and staging are perfectly valid. But IMO it doesn't seem fair to judge the show by the standards of an art form to which it doesn't really belong. 

Updated On: 9/12/18 at 09:58 PM

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#109Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/12/18 at 11:39pm

I thought it was brilliant in London, but it really is a play with music. Even though there's so much music that I find it difficult to call it anything but a musical. It's a strange piece. I'm excited to see how it is with a completely different cast.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#110Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/13/18 at 1:29pm

2 front-row seats are available for next Tuesday, 9/18, $95 each.

Updated On: 9/13/18 at 01:29 PM

HunterK Profile Photo
HunterK
#111Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/14/18 at 1:37am

I saw in London this past March. I went in having no clue about the story and only knew 3 Bob Dylan songs. What took place on that stage was nothing short of brilliant. Tears at the end of both acts, yet still walking out feeling (just like a previous poster said)  "This is why I am a performer!" When I came back home to NYC, I couldn’t stop talking about it. It’s beautifully original! That’s the only word I can use to describe it. 

I am seeing this on Sunday afternoon and cannot wait to experience it again, with a new cast and space. 

Please just give it a chance! Everyone is absolutely entitled to their opinion, but please do not let it sway you from going and making your own opinion! 

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#112Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/16/18 at 1:05pm

Bump.
Any new thoughts about this production?

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#113Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/16/18 at 1:10pm

I’m going later this month and can’t wait.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#114Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/17/18 at 7:27am

As someone who hated Once and didn’t really care for The Band’s Visit, I was a little nervous going into Girl From The North Country after reading the comparisons. That being said, I was surprised that I ended up absolutely loving it. Girl From The North Country is an extremely special show that resonated with me on a level that other similar shows have not.

The show is definitely an ensemble piece, but it is one in which every character is given moments to shine. Mare Winningham’s performance was out of this world. Her singing “Like a Rolling Stone” was my favorite part of the show. Kimber Sprawl’s Marianne was beautiful. Colton Ryan and Caitlin Houlahan’s duet in the first was exquisite. The list of great performances goes on and on as everyone was simply wonderful.

I loved the set. Very rustic and gritty and dimly lit. While I can understand people’s problems with the dim lighting, I actually really liked it. It fit the mood perfectly, and I found it to be extremely effective.

I am really hoping this transfers to Broadway in the Spring. It is in absolutely perfect shape, and, as far as I’m concerned, it is already Broadway ready. As far as new musicals go, this definitely outweighs anything we were offered last season. I can’t say enough great things about this. I HIGHLY recommend this.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

qafgenius122
#115Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/18/18 at 6:47pm

A bit late to this party, but I was at first preview, friend won the in person lotto and we were in the second row!
First, I am not a Dylan fan, as in I don’t know his music, I’m 27, so I wouldn’t say he’s of my generation. Nor is folk music; or whatever it is he does; my thing either. I also knew next to nothing of the show, minus its successes in London. All that being said.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT! And I’m kinda obsessed now. I thoroughly enjoyed all the music, like I was tapping my foot and grooving in my seat tbh
I love dark stories like this, and it’s such an American story, it’s kind of shocking it’s life began abroad.
The cast is phenomenal, shoutouts to Mare Winningham, Sydney James Harcourt and Colton Ryan. But all were strong and truly an ensemble. Many actors even played instruments, and not just a tambourine or shaker. Truly impressive.

I have already pre-ordered the London cast recording which is getting its non-import release in a few weeks. And I dearly hope this goes to Broadway, as it seems like it’s heading. (I’d also love an OBCR btw) It’s a truly haunting beautiful piece of theatre that I will definitely be seeing again.

jbird5
#116Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/18/18 at 9:46pm

There are tickets available for the next week of shows through the Public and TodayTix.

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
#117Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/18/18 at 11:12pm

Was able to get a TodayTix rush ticket for tonight’s performance! (If any one is curious my rush seat was in row P, not sure if all their rush is in that row, but I digress)

The show was great. It did give off major Once and The Band’s Visit vibes. I must admit it starts of really slow and took me awhile to get into it. But once there was more stuff started happening I was all into it. As a whole, it did seem more like a play with music, rather than a musical, but it worked.

The audience loved it and I could see it transferring to Broadway. All in all I liked it, and would probably see it again if/when it goes to Broadway.

GVS2
#118Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/19/18 at 12:12am

Just got home from seeing tonight's performance.  The new cast was amazing.  Having seen the two London productions, I can say that this cast works together just as beautifully to amplify each other's strengths.  What a unique and moving piece of theater.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
BWAY Baby2
#120Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/19/18 at 5:23pm

Saw it in London- did not enjoy it.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#121Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/19/18 at 5:48pm

BWAY Baby2 said: "Saw it in London- did not enjoy it."

Why do you feel the need to post the same opinion multiple times across different threads? We get it, you didn't like the show. Once will suffice.

BWAY Baby2
#122Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/20/18 at 7:57am

You are right- I do that because there are so many posters here I thought no one reads all of it- but I am wrong- I have praised Ferryman too many times- sorry - from now on will only post an opinion once. 

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#123Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/20/18 at 10:30am

sorano916 said: "Playbill posted another video of Colton and Caitlin singing.

http://www.playbill.com/article/hear-an-exclusive-girl-from-the-north-country-track
"

Okay now I'm even more excited to see this. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#124Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/20/18 at 2:14pm

CT2NYC said: "BWAY Baby2 said: "Saw it in London- did not enjoy it."

Why do you feel the need to post the same opinion multiple times across different threads?We get it,you didn't like the show. Once will suffice.
"

You have to respect how they fully unpack why it didn't resonate with them, though.