pixeltracker

If you could go back to one performance...- Page 2

If you could go back to one performance...

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#25If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 11/19/18 at 7:56am

Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown - It kills me I never got to see it since it closed early.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Armie3
#26If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 11/19/18 at 8:01am

Possibly the time Liza filled in during the original Chicago.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#27If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 11/19/18 at 10:05am

Michael Crawford, Sarah Brightman, and Steve Barton in Phantom of the Opera

Glenn Close and Alan Campbell in Sunset Boulevard

Maria Friedman and Michael Crawford in The Woman in White

Sierra Boggess in Love Never Dies

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#28If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 11/19/18 at 10:36am

I want to see the original Pippin and original Sweet Charity. And Dancin'. (Opening nights, why not.) Basically, take me to Fossetime. 

veraclaythorne2 Profile Photo
veraclaythorne2
#29If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 11/19/18 at 10:44am

Performance I saw: THE PILLOWMAN at The Cottesloe, National Theatre

Ones I didn't: Bowie in THE ELEPHANT MAN, the original run of STREETCAR, or original run of SWEENEY TODD. 

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#30If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 11/19/18 at 10:46am

I also saw the touring cast of ALNM in Chicago; Shubert Theatre: December 1974.
Sublime.
Sheer perfection.
None better.

imklepcyk
#31If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 11/19/18 at 10:48am

Hello Dolly with Bernadette Peters, in my opinion she was the best Dolly and the a t whole show makes me smile

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#32If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 11/19/18 at 10:57am

Gypsy with LuPone on January 10, 2009. Just to see this all happen in person.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#33If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 11/19/18 at 11:03am

Is it cheating to say Judy at Carnegie Hall?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#34If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 11/19/18 at 11:06am

TotallyEffed said: "Is it cheating to say Judy at Carnegie Hall?"

No, cuz that was gonna be my answer, too.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#35If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 11/19/18 at 12:02pm

The OBC of Parade on 2/26/99.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#36If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 11/19/18 at 12:12pm

Angela Lansbury in "Mame" and Judy Garland at Carneige Hall.  

If I could see another performance again, that would be Natasha Richardson in "Cabaret."

OrchardAndRivington Profile Photo
OrchardAndRivington
#37If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 11/19/18 at 2:06pm

Performance I want to see AGAIN - Funny Girl at the Actors Fund Concert 2002. I just rewatched Seth Rudetsky's Lillias White deconstruction last night and would love to go back and feel all that energy in the New Amsterdam again.

A performance I'd like to see that I missed: Patti LuPone in Evita (or the performance where Nancy Opel became a turtle in the Eva Dress..)

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#38If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 11/19/18 at 3:02pm

I was listening to the recent BroadWaysted podcast with Jenn Gambatese (its a weird Podcast, IMO), and they were casting famous people in Broadway shows, and it reminded me of Jerry herman saying Judy Garland wanted to do Mame. I would travel back in time, and make it happen.

Or I would settle for Judy at Carneige Hall!

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

vampire musical
#39If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 11/19/18 at 3:04pm

Performance I'd like to see again: Hamilton preview at the Public. Can't remeber which preview I saw but seeing that show before all the buzz (and not knowing the songs) was priceless. I remember after the final black out the man sitting next to me whispered "Jesus!". What an experience. 

Performance I wish I could have seen: Raul Julia in Nine (or really any Broadway performance by Raul Julia -- swoon). 

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#40If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 11/19/18 at 4:29pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Gypsy with LuPone on January 10, 2009. Just to see this all happen in person."

I was there. And she ruined an otherwise wonderful performance. 

StardustsChild Profile Photo
StardustsChild
#41If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 11/20/18 at 12:03am

I would want to see the original extended version of South Pacific from Boston, pre the drastic cuts and rewrites. The way that show was shaped is so fascinating to me. 

Also Carol Channing's final performance as Dolly in her original broadway run. 

"Life is already so dark. If you have got the talent to make it brighter and bring people hope & joy, why would you withhold that?"

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#42If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 11/20/18 at 12:42am

The first preview of the original Broadway production of Merrily We Roll Along.

Just give the world Love.

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#43If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 11/20/18 at 12:18pm

I'd love to go back in time to see Laurette Taylor in "The Glass Menagerie."  So many actors praise her performance on the " Broadway: The Golden Age" documentary. It must have been truly remarkable.

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2

stoptheworld38 Profile Photo
stoptheworld38
#44If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 1/4/19 at 9:50pm

There's so many...

-Dear Evan Hansen with OBC

-Once On This Island with Hailey Kilgore (she was out due to injury when I saw it in August and now it closes on Sunday...)

-Head Over Heels (cause that also closes Sunday)

-Sunday In the Park With George (original or revival, I love both)

-Hamilton OBC

-Ragtime (original or revival)

-Fun Home

you found your heart but left a part of you behind <3

Jarethan
#45If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 1/4/19 at 9:58pm

gregnyc2 said: "With all of its faults, it’d be Judy Kuhn and David Carroll in CHESS."

I saw that and it was such a disastrous production (blame Trevor Nunn) that you would have been severely disappointed.

jo
#46If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 1/4/19 at 10:10pm

Richard Kiley in MAN FROM LA MANCHA, original staging in a theatre in the round.

Michael Ball et al in ASPECTS OF LOVE in London 1989 - the singing was very impressive!

War Horse at Lincoln Center - impressive and emotional.

Ingrid Bergman in that drama with Arthur Hill -- can't even remember the name of the play - I was too much in awe of Ms.Bergman especially with my front row seating.  Maybe also because it was my first time in America and Broadway was such a dream event?

Angela Lansbury in MAME - to explore why it has impressed so many, when at that time I thought it was just an OK play to me. My lingering memory was We Need A Little Christmas.

Hugh Jackman --

*Curly in OKLAHOMA! in London ( 1999) although I would have preferred to have seen it in its original RNT theatre home instead of the Lyric theatre - didn't know who the lead actor was then as I came to see it only because of the music of Rodgers & Hammerstein

*closing show of THE BOY FROM OZ.

Jarethan
#47If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 1/4/19 at 10:16pm

I'll break the rules because others did...'can't just have one, maybe 5'.

Something that I saw:

-- Angela Lansbury in MAME.  The first time I saw this remains my single favorite performance EVER.

-- Colleen Dewhurst and Jason Robards in A Moon For the Misbegotten.

-- Nicholas Nickelby.  A once in a lifetime experience.

-- Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick in The Producers.  I know there are  people who consider this overrated and feel its relatively short run was appropriate.  With Lane as Max B. and that original cast, I NEVER laughed so hard in my life; and Betrayed was one of the great 11:00 numbers ever.

-- Follies in Boston, because it was so unexpected; and I think I ENJOYED 'Boy, Can That Boy Foxtrot' more than 'I'm Still Here'.

Something That I Didn't See:

-- Judy Holiday at the opening of Bells Are Ringing

-- Judy Garland at Carnegie Hall.  I listened to the recording about three weeks ago, and still got goosebumps.

-- Opening night of The Philadelphia Story with Kate Hepburn.

-- Don't ask me why, cause I don't know, but the original production of A Majority of One.  I would have loved to have seen Gertrude Berg, and the movie is one of  my all-time guilty pleasures, despite the incredibly politically incorrect servant.

-- South Pacific with Martin and Pinza.

IronMan Profile Photo
IronMan
#48If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 1/5/19 at 1:11am

One I saw: SARAFINA! at the Cort.  Being a sheltered kid from Ohio new to NY but long in the biz, I'm ashamed to say that I really didn't know what apartheid meant.  This show (about a year into its run) just blew me away.  The VOICES in that theater, the passion, the storytelling, the stunning stagecraft... always at the top of my list of theater experiences. 

One I didn't see: Either the opening nights of THE FANTASTICKS, or YOU'RE A GOOD MAN, CHARLIE BROWN. Both have special places in my heart and I'd love to experience the reactions of those who knew nothing about them going in. 

"What- and quit show business?" - the guy shoveling elephant shit at the circus.

BenElliott Profile Photo
BenElliott
#49If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 1/5/19 at 1:15am

Probably the original production of one of the Sondheim classics. I also hate that I was only around 9 years old when the Patti Lupone lead Gypsy was on Broadway. Love that show and I love that cast. Would've loved to have seen that live.

I guess I'd choose either original Sweeney or original Sunday. Not sure which.

Videos