pixeltracker

Mary Poppins Returns - Crowding Lyrics, Weary Watchers

Mary Poppins Returns - Crowding Lyrics, Weary Watchers

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#1Mary Poppins Returns - Crowding Lyrics, Weary Watchers
Posted: 12/20/18 at 7:55pm

As with HAMILTON - what's with so many songs jam-packed with lyrics?  Are lyricists afraid audiences will think they are lazy?  These lyrics fly at you so fast and furiously that, at times, I missed half of them.  And with spotty English accents!  Heavens!

Updated On: 12/20/18 at 07:55 PM

JSquared2
#2Mary Poppins Returns - Crowding Lyrics, Weary Watchers
Posted: 12/20/18 at 8:58pm

Skip23 said: "As with HAMILTON - what's with so many songs jam-packed with lyrics? Are lyricists afraid audiences will think they are lazy? These lyrics fly at you so fast and furiously that, at times, I missed half of them. And with spotty English accents! Heavens!

Yeah, good thing they didn’t have either of those things in the  classic original film, like Dick Van Dyke’s accent or Supercalifragilistic”!  Heavens!!

RWPrincess
#3Mary Poppins Returns - Crowding Lyrics, Weary Watchers
Posted: 12/21/18 at 12:11am

I attended a Disney event in Orlando last month with Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman where they gave us a preview of the movie soundtrack.

There are a couple of songs where Lin is rapping so they mentioned that was done for him as its his signature thing. Primarily its the song during the animated portion of the film though. The music is supposed to be complementary to the first film and I think they did a great job with that. I saw the movie tonight and loved all the nods to the first movie, both in the music and the script overall.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#4Mary Poppins Returns - Crowding Lyrics, Weary Watchers
Posted: 12/21/18 at 12:16am

I saw it opening day and I loved it. A worthy sequel to a great movie with fantastic songs written by the talented duo Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman, who I think deserve to write the score and songs for a Disney animated movie.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#5Mary Poppins Returns - Crowding Lyrics, Weary Watchers
Posted: 12/21/18 at 1:22am

The NY Times review lacked some sugar.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#6Mary Poppins Returns - Crowding Lyrics, Weary Watchers
Posted: 12/21/18 at 10:53pm

I just saw it today, and I thought it was fine. Not terrible, but just alright. Emily Blunt was marvelous, though.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

Fosse76
#7Mary Poppins Returns - Crowding Lyrics, Weary Watchers
Posted: 12/22/18 at 12:10am

I agree with the Times. It wasn't so much a sequel as a pale imitation of the original.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Instead of a chalk painting you get a ceramic bowl; instead of tea on the ceiling you get an upside down room; instead of step in time you get dancing lamplighters. Instead let's go fly a kite you get balloons. And the score wasn't even mediocre, it was just plain awful. 

Tom5
#8Mary Poppins Returns - Crowding Lyrics, Weary Watchers
Posted: 12/22/18 at 12:16am

I'll stop at Saving Mr. Banks. It was an original take on the original film, had some clips from it, too and of course had Emma Thompson.

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#9Mary Poppins Returns - Crowding Lyrics, Weary Watchers
Posted: 12/22/18 at 12:49am

I have to say that I did love Emily Blunt's more caustic Mary.  And she's such a cutie.

Lin is fine but the role isn't there.

None of the choreography is better or on par with the original.

Songs are too obtuse and long.  6 bars and off!

Meryl's Topsy Turvy song is my fave and she's a camp hoot.  Also like the Music Hall number.  But that chase scene.  Again....goes on too long!

And the lamplighter ballet is a snooze IMHO. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#10Mary Poppins Returns - Crowding Lyrics, Weary Watchers
Posted: 12/22/18 at 1:46am

I thought the music hall scene, chase scene and Meryls scene were just unnecessarry and way too long and just dragged the film down for a good 20 minutes or so.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#11Mary Poppins Returns - Crowding Lyrics, Weary Watchers
Posted: 12/22/18 at 6:36am

The indispensable Rob Marshalls direction, Emily Blunts stunning and sublime interpretation of Mary Poppins, her chemistry with Lin, the pitch-perfect casting and performances of every single role, the songs, the choreography (hey, Fosse/CHICAGO homage!), the costumes, the story... pure unadulterated joy for a full 2 hours and 12 minutes. What a treat Rob Marshall has given us.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Gorlois Profile Photo
Gorlois
#12Mary Poppins Returns - Crowding Lyrics, Weary Watchers
Posted: 12/22/18 at 6:43am

Its a great movie musical in 2018, but it is no patch on the 1964 original.

metropolis10111 Profile Photo
metropolis10111
#13Mary Poppins Returns - Crowding Lyrics, Weary Watchers
Posted: 12/22/18 at 9:06am

I loved it. Yea it was about 15min too long but it was a glorious confection. I love the tone of the film, very much in line with the books and the nods to the film were perfect. The story SHOULD feel similar because the books were all similar as well. Mary and the children go out or stay in for the day.. and adventure takes place, and everyone is safe and snug by the end of the chapter. To be honest the films have more cohesion and charter development then the books ever did but the Travers estate will only let things go so far.... 

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#14Mary Poppins Returns - Crowding Lyrics, Weary Watchers
Posted: 12/22/18 at 9:47pm

I really adored this film.

I think it sticks pretty close to the original both sonically and in overall tone and I think that's why it doesn't seem to be connecting with audiences (70% user rating on RT). It's a generational thing. What worked in 1964 doesn't work today. I remember seeing the original as a kid in the 90s and being bored out of my mind, and I feel that's what most kids are feeling watching this. A shame.

broadfan327
#15Mary Poppins Returns - Crowding Lyrics, Weary Watchers
Posted: 12/23/18 at 1:26am

I just saw this and I agree that what worked in 1964 doesn't necessarily work today.  It was fine, nothing revolutionary.  It was too similar to the original.  I saw the new Spiderman animated movie yesterday, and I was impressed how they revisioned a story told many times through the years to current times.

theatreguy12
#16Mary Poppins Returns - Crowding Lyrics, Weary Watchers
Posted: 12/24/18 at 11:31am

Why is MS even in this? I thought she loathed Walt Disney. I would think if you were really going to talk the talk and walk the walk, you should be somewhat more consistent in your convictions.

So why is she in anything related to Disney?

Oh, thats right. Shes MS, shes a celebrity, and walking the walk that you talk isnt something they always do all that well. Oh yeah. And $$$.

I guess it isnt any different though than Depp lamenting the state of art in America and all its commercialization. And yet taking part in one of the most commercial endeavors, and working for one of the most Americana of companies, Disney.

Silly celebrities.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#17Mary Poppins Returns - Crowding Lyrics, Weary Watchers
Posted: 12/24/18 at 11:36am

theatreguy12 said: "Why is MS even in this? I thought she loathed Walt Disney. I would think if you were really going to talk the talk and walk the walk, you should be somewhat more consistent in your convictions."

From what I understand, Walt Disney was not involved in the production, which has been the case for about 52 years now. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#18Mary Poppins Returns - Crowding Lyrics, Weary Watchers
Posted: 12/24/18 at 12:32pm

haterobics said: "theatreguy12 said: "Why is MS even in this? I thought she loathed Walt Disney. I would think if you were really going to talk the talk and walk the walk, you should be somewhat more consistent in your convictions."

From what I understand, Walt Disney was not involved in the production, which has been the case for about 52 years now.
"

Without getting into the underlying sentiment, Disney is the worldwide distributor of the property, and stands to make more money from it than anyone else.It is definitely "related."

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#19Mary Poppins Returns - Crowding Lyrics, Weary Watchers
Posted: 12/24/18 at 1:21pm

Tom5 said: "I'll stop at Saving Mr. Banks. It was an original take on the original film, had some clips from it, too and of course had Emma Thompson."

Huh?  Whuh?  How it is an original take on Disney's 1964 MARY POPPINS?  Its solely about the difficulty Walt Disney and the creative team behind the film MARY POPPINS had to endure dealing with the writer of the books P.T. Travers.   It also uses in flashbacks the events in Travers' childhood that inspired the MARY POPPINS character and books.  SAVING MR. BANKS has nothing to do with the 1964 film aside from using its pre-production problems to tell Travers' life story.  

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#20Mary Poppins Returns - Crowding Lyrics, Weary Watchers
Posted: 12/24/18 at 5:54pm

I read a review in EW that Lin was miscast. I have not seen the movie yet but I had the same feeling just by watching the previews....

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#21Mary Poppins Returns - Crowding Lyrics, Weary Watchers
Posted: 12/24/18 at 6:18pm

I dont think Lin is miscast.

Just that the role really isnt much of anything.

In fact this whole movie feels like it was created by the Corporate office to appeal to the biggest possible audience and not offend anyone. The biggest orchestrations, biggest production numbers, biggest sets and cgi. Its positively Trumpian - the biggest everything!

theatreguy12
#22Mary Poppins Returns - Crowding Lyrics, Weary Watchers
Posted: 12/24/18 at 10:50pm

Obviously.  Doesn’t matter though.

The Disney referenced on top of the credits is his name. And the movie is a sequel to one of his babies. It’s impossible to separate the two. You can’t have this movie while ignoring the first. And that one was all Walt.

I’m just saying if she loathes Disney that much, be consistent and take a pass on this one.

After all, it’s got his name on it. Even if he is no longer with us. If she dislikes the originator of the company that made this movie so much then maybe it’s best not to get involved. 

haterobics said: "theatreguy12 said: "Why is MS even in this? I thought she loathed Walt Disney. I would think if you were really going to talk the talk and walk the walk, you should be somewhat more consistent in your convictions."

"

Cyndawg
#23Mary Poppins Returns - Crowding Lyrics, Weary Watchers
Posted: 12/26/18 at 1:34pm

theatreguy12 said: "Why is MS even in this? I thought she loathed Walt Disney. I would think if you were really going to talk the talk and walk the walk, you should be somewhat more consistent in your convictions."

She adores Rob Marshall and I'm sure she said yes because of him and not because it was Disney.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#24Mary Poppins Returns - Crowding Lyrics, Weary Watchers
Posted: 12/26/18 at 4:46pm

I enjoyed this, but didn't love it.  I thought Lin was relatively boring and 2 dimensional - every line sound exactly like the one before it.   

I will take issue with the origianal post - I ddin't fint the score to be fullly of crowded lyrics and in fact, thought there was a nice variety.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BroadwayPrincess3 Profile Photo
BroadwayPrincess3
#25Mary Poppins Returns - Crowding Lyrics, Weary Watchers
Posted: 12/26/18 at 10:29pm

I agree with the Lin miscast. Whenever I see him in something, its like he never embodies the character. I just see Lin.
Emily Blunt was amazing though. She sang better than I expected her to.

Videos