The Inheritance casting

Theatrefanboy1
#1The Inheritance casting
Posted: 6/10/19 at 12:04am

Anyone youd like to see in the show?

For me it would be incredible if julie Andrews would agree

As for males. Id like to see Kyle dean Massey. Charlie carver. Charlie Williams. Taylor Frey. Cheyenne Jackson. Take on some of the roles

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#2The Inheritance casting
Posted: 6/10/19 at 12:50am

Julie Andrews could not possibly be more wrong for that role.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3The Inheritance casting
Posted: 6/10/19 at 12:51am

The more I’ve thought about it, the more I hope if Redgrave doesn’t come over that it will go to Judith Light.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#4The Inheritance casting
Posted: 6/10/19 at 2:42am

Cheyenne Jackson as who, exactly?

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#5The Inheritance casting
Posted: 6/10/19 at 8:48am

After seeing Judith Light's speech last night, the more I think about it the more I think she'd be amazing in that role (if Vanessa doesn't transfer.) I've always known Judith Light from the TV show "Who's the Boss" but only realized later that she's an amazing theatre stage actress as well.

As for the male roles, hopefully they'll cast openly out male actors but I understand that's not a requirement.

nasty_khakis
#6The Inheritance casting
Posted: 6/10/19 at 9:40am

I imagine at least the 4 big roles would transfer with the production unless they are too exhausted or just don't want to themselves. Sam Levine, John Benjamin Hickey, Andrew Burnap, and Kyle Soller are all American so it shouldn't even be an Equity issue. Paul Hilton was also excellent, but Walter/Morgan is a relatively smaller part and I can see a number of older gay broadway actors doing well in that role. The other parts are relatively small enough they won't be getting Cheyenne Jackson or Groff to play the agent/trainer/etc bits. 

Updated On: 6/10/19 at 09:40 AM

LarryD2
#7The Inheritance casting
Posted: 6/10/19 at 9:43am

I bet Redgrave would want to transfer to Broadway, but she's had a lot of health problems in recent years, including a serious heart attack that nearly ended her life. I'm not sure if she'd want to be away from home for the length of the run. But that's just speculation on my part.

I can't imagine this happening without Soller or Hickey. My guess is they will try to bring over as much of the original cast as they can.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#8The Inheritance casting
Posted: 6/10/19 at 10:21am

As long as every role is played by an extremely attractive twunk with abs, I don't care. They are the only members of the gay community, after all.

cknick
#9The Inheritance casting
Posted: 6/10/19 at 10:41am

VotePeron said: "As long as every role is played by an extremely attractivetwunkwith abs, I don't care. They are the only members of the gay community, after all."

THANK YOU!

Markie27 Profile Photo
Markie27
#10The Inheritance casting
Posted: 6/10/19 at 10:42am

I know it is not required for actors to be gay in order to play these roles but being gay is an essential part of the story of The Inheritance.  I was just disappointed that the lead role of a very important play about LGBTQ community went to a straight actor.  Maybe he is bisexual?  He did win an Olivier and he had great reviews.  But I wish for a play about our LGBTQ history  would actually be played by predominantly gay actors specially the leads. I am ok about straight actors playing gay in minor roles in movies that don’t deal with our history and lives.  But the Inheritance is different.  I am sure there a lot of gay guys on broadway who will be effective playing the lead.  

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#11The Inheritance casting
Posted: 6/10/19 at 11:46am

It's not just Kyle Soller. Andrew Burnap, who was great, is also straight, and so is Paul Hilton.

Jordan Catalano
#12The Inheritance casting
Posted: 6/10/19 at 12:02pm

I pray that Paul Hilton transfers with this show. His (what was it, 20 minute long) monologue in part one is a thing of true beauty and deserves to be done by him again on broadway.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#13The Inheritance casting
Posted: 6/10/19 at 12:24pm

Markie27 said: "I know it is not required for actors to be gay in order to play these roles but being gay is an essential part of the story of The Inheritance. I was just disappointed that the lead role of a very important play about LGBTQ community went to a straight actor. Maybe he is bisexual? He did win an Olivier and he had great reviews. But I wish for a playabout our LGBTQ history would actually be played by predominantly gay actors specially the leads. I am ok about straight actors playing gay in minor roles in movies that don’t deal with our history and lives. But the Inheritance is different. I am sure there a lot of gay guys on broadwaywho will be effective playing the lead."

I know what you mean. I think that's what made Boys in the Band revival last summer so special to me. 

I think the only male characters that need to be smoking hot abs and all are Leo and Adam (both in their 20s.)

Gay male actors who I think would be great to see cast in this play: Robin de Jesus (would be interesting to see his take on Eric Glass actually), Jonathan Groff, Ben Platt, Will Blum, Claybourne Elder, etc. 

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#14The Inheritance casting
Posted: 6/10/19 at 4:23pm

Cheyenne Jackson is about a decade too old for these roles. So are the Boys and the Band leads, though my fear is that's exactly where they'll go first.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

DoTheDood Profile Photo
DoTheDood
#15The Inheritance casting
Posted: 6/10/19 at 4:32pm

Wick3 said: "Gay male actors who I think would be great to see cast in this play: Robin de Jesus (would be interesting to see his take on Eric Glass actually), Jonathan Groff, Ben Platt, Will Blum, Claybourne Elder, etc."

Platt would be a great, but has he really done any (pun not intended) straight plays before? If so, this would be a great pick because his tour (IIRC) ends before this would start 

Owen22
#16The Inheritance casting
Posted: 6/10/19 at 5:57pm

Theatrefanboy1 said: "Anyone youd like to see in the show?

For me it would be incredible if julie Andrews would agree

As for males. Id like to see Kyle dean Massey. Charlie carver. Charlie Williams. Taylor Frey. Cheyenne Jackson. Take on some of the roles
"

Vanessa was 20 years too old for the role as would be Julie. Plus it's not even a great role. It stands out because it's the only woman in the show and she shows up in the last quarter of the second play.

SisterGeorge
#17The Inheritance casting
Posted: 6/10/19 at 6:05pm

Wick3 said: "Markie27 said: "I know it is not required for actors to be gay in order to play these roles but being gay is an essential part of the story of The Inheritance. I was just disappointed that the lead role of a very important play about LGBTQ community went to a straight actor. Maybe he is bisexual? He did win an Olivier and he had great reviews. But I wish for a playabout our LGBTQ history would actually be played by predominantly gay actors specially the leads. I am ok about straight actors playing gay in minor roles in movies that don’t deal with our history and lives. But the Inheritance is different. I am sure there a lot of gay guys on broadwaywho will be effective playing the lead."

I know what you mean. I think that's what made Boys in the Band revival last summer so special to me.

If I were a really lazy casting director (no such thing, right?) I would keep John Benjamin Hickey and just reassemble the Boys In the Band cast.

Sister George
Updated On: 6/10/19 at 06:05 PM

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#18The Inheritance casting
Posted: 6/10/19 at 6:20pm

Boys in the Band actors are too old. I don't have the play in front of me, but doesn't Eric turn 30 in it? Jim Parsons, Zachary Quinto, Andrew Rannells, Matt Bomer, Michael Benjamin Washington are all 40+. Keep John Benjamin Hickey and you've lost a huge part of the generational gap story they're trying to tell.

Wick3 said: I think the only male characters that need to be smoking hot abs and all are Leo and Adam (both in their 20s.)

So, only one actor.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#19The Inheritance casting
Posted: 6/10/19 at 9:54pm

holy crap.  they are charging $349 a ticket for good seats - and thats just for part 1 - that means seeing this show will cost almost 1K 

i am floored  and dissapointed

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#20The Inheritance casting
Posted: 6/10/19 at 10:02pm

Eric Glass celebrates his 33rd bday in the play. Robin de Jesus is 34 years old. Groff is 34 years old too. I think any actor who can pass as early-mid 30s would work.
Leo/Adam was played by the same actor (Samuel Levine) in London’s west end.

Jordan Catalano
#21The Inheritance casting
Posted: 6/10/19 at 10:19pm

If the original cast doesn’t transfer, I’m in love with the idea of Groff in that role.

ElphabaGoodman
#22The Inheritance casting
Posted: 6/11/19 at 12:04am

A reading happened in New York last month with many of the leads from London. I do believe we will see Andrew Burnap, Kyle Soller, Samuel Levine, John Benjamin Hickey and Vanessa Redgrave reprising their roles.

Ravenclaw
#23The Inheritance casting
Posted: 6/11/19 at 8:37pm

Vanessa Redgrave did the show in its world premiere at Hartford Stage early last year--I don't see why she wouldn't do it on Broadway if she could do it in Hartford. Plus, there's the meta aspect of the play being based on Howard's End and the fact that she was in the film.

ETA: My mistake--while the play was commissioned by Hartford Stage, that company did not produce the play.

Updated On: 6/12/19 at 08:37 PM

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#24The Inheritance casting
Posted: 6/11/19 at 8:51pm

I still want JUDITH EFFING LIGHT

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#25The Inheritance casting
Posted: 6/11/19 at 9:00pm

I wonder if it’s going to be similar to the Ferryman —- have the London cast for 6 months (sept-feb) on Broadway and then replace them with a NYC based cast after?

Updated On: 6/11/19 at 09:00 PM

Videos