pixeltracker

Sutton Foster as Mama Rose in GYPSY

Sutton Foster as Mama Rose in GYPSY

LovesBway! Profile Photo
LovesBway!
#1Sutton Foster as Mama Rose in GYPSY
Posted: 10/29/19 at 6:44pm

This would be a great role for her in a few years.... your thoughts?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2Sutton Foster as Mama Rose in GYPSY
Posted: 10/29/19 at 6:44pm

Please, no.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3Sutton Foster as Mama Rose in GYPSY
Posted: 10/29/19 at 7:02pm

No.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#4Sutton Foster as Mama Rose in GYPSY
Posted: 10/29/19 at 7:10pm

A few years? She’s technically the right age now. How old do you think Mama Rose is? 70?

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#5Sutton Foster as Mama Rose in GYPSY
Posted: 10/29/19 at 7:20pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "A few years? She’s technically the right age now. How old do you think Mama Rose is? 70? "

Leave Barbra out of this.

bwayobsessed
#6Sutton Foster as Mama Rose in GYPSY
Posted: 10/29/19 at 8:03pm

It’s gonna happen, just be excited for it

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#7Sutton Foster as Mama Rose in GYPSY
Posted: 10/29/19 at 8:09pm

bwayobsessed said: "It’s gonna happen, just be excited for it"

Oh, ok. 

SouthernCakes
#8Sutton Foster as Mama Rose in GYPSY
Posted: 10/29/19 at 8:12pm

Love me some Sutton, but don’t think this is the ideal role for her. To me, she’s a lot like Peters, and doesn’t quite have the ferocity this role needs - which LuPone has in spades.

I think she’s make an interesting Lovett though. Or Forsca.

helvizz Profile Photo
helvizz
#9Sutton Foster as Mama Rose in GYPSY
Posted: 10/29/19 at 9:02pm

This takes me back to when they announced Sutton as Reno in the Anything Goes revival and this board flipped, everybody said she was dorky and not sexy, therefore she was wrong for the role (as if an actor has to be the part they are playing, instead of... playing it). A few months later, she won the Tony for playing Reno.

Anyway, I, for one, would love to see it happen. She showed a lot of vulnerability and anger in her Violet, which I think could work for Rose.

Updated On: 10/29/19 at 09:02 PM

SouthernCakes
#10Sutton Foster as Mama Rose in GYPSY
Posted: 10/29/19 at 9:05pm

Totally. Does it sound right on paper? No. But would I see it? Heck yes.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#11Sutton Foster as Mama Rose in GYPSY
Posted: 10/29/19 at 11:23pm

She'd be a wonderful MAME if for some reason the Toni Collette production falls through.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#12Sutton Foster as Mama Rose in GYPSY
Posted: 10/30/19 at 12:42am

I know she wants to play the role. She's performed Rose's Turn during one of her concerts I attended (and KILLED it). I think she's be glorious. My current dream role for her is still Cassie in A Chorus Line.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#13Sutton Foster as Mama Rose in GYPSY
Posted: 10/30/19 at 6:57am

I personally don't think she would be right for the role.  But that's just me.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

binau Profile Photo
binau
#14Sutton Foster as Mama Rose in GYPSY
Posted: 10/30/19 at 7:27am

I’m really sad that we may never get to see Donna Murphy in the role.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

JBC3
#15Sutton Foster as Mama Rose in GYPSY
Posted: 10/30/19 at 8:38am

The sexy Rose that Peters portrayed was excellent as her Tony performance highlights so very well.

round2 Profile Photo
round2
#16Sutton Foster as Mama Rose in GYPSY
Posted: 10/30/19 at 10:18am

Has there ever been an age appropriate Mama Rose in GYPSY on Broadway? Isn't there some kind of law against it?

Seriously, it would be interesting to see how the show works with someone in that role who more logically ages up to, what? 45 or so? How old would she likely have been at the time of Rose's Turn?

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#17Sutton Foster as Mama Rose in GYPSY
Posted: 10/30/19 at 10:25am

Tyne Daly was only 43 when she played Rose, for the record.

I think that a part like Rose is challenging to cast as "age-appropriate" for several reasons. The role requires a gravitas that often comes with age. Not always, but often. Casting a younger Rose could also lead to problems when casting Dainty June and Louise. If your Rose is 37, for instance, would she look old enough to be a 29-year-old Louise's mother? If not, you'd have to cast a younger actress as Louise. Would your Louise then look enough like an adult to make her transformation believable? We've grown so used to seeing adults play teenagers that it's often disconcerting to see an actual teenager play a part.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#18Sutton Foster as Mama Rose in GYPSY
Posted: 10/30/19 at 10:34am

round2 said: "Has there ever been an age appropriate Mama Rose in GYPSY on Broadway? Isn't there some kind of law against it?
Seriously, it would be interesting to see how the show works with someone in that role who more logically ages up to, what? 45 or so? How old would she likely have been at the time of Rose's Turn?
"

In reality, Rose was 21 when she had Louise. But the musical also strays from the facts in many other ways. A director must choose how much of reality to infuse into the characters. On stage, I think the issue is less about Rose's numerical age, and more that she is a woman who has lived life. The audience might even be more sympathetic towards Rose if they see a 28-year-old shepherding her kids around; on the flip side, an under-40 actress might disappoint emotionally because she doesn't have the wordly experience that it takes to properly sell "Rose's Turn" and the act 2 book scenes (since the role was written for 51-y-o Merman).

It's a fine line, but at the end of the day I don't really care about the actress's age as long as she can sell the part.

(What's also interesting –– Bernadette Peters and Linda Lavin are the only Roses who have not had the real-life experience of being a mother.)

Updated On: 10/30/19 at 10:34 AM

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#19Sutton Foster as Mama Rose in GYPSY
Posted: 10/30/19 at 10:38am

I love her, but no. This is like when she played Queenie- some roles just aren't a fit. She shocked us with Reno, and I imagine will do the same with Marian, but this seems a leap too far.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#20Sutton Foster as Mama Rose in GYPSY
Posted: 10/30/19 at 10:40am

BrodyFosse123 said: "A few years? She’s technically the right age now. How old do you think Mama Rose is? 70?"

70 is too young. Streisand, 77, still wants to do it. So I'm guessing 80 is the appropriate age? 

Jarethan
#21Sutton Foster as Mama Rose in GYPSY
Posted: 10/30/19 at 11:07am

I am one of the people who bought BP was robbed of a Tony for this. I never thought of SF for Gypsy, and I am OD’d on Gypsy, but I would get tickets in an instant if she announced. She’d be terrific.

Will she be the best Mama Rose? Since we all have different opinions on that, who cares? She can sing the role and her performance in Violet tells me she can act the role. I’d much rather see her than Imelda Staunton (or anyone else other than the aforementioned Donna Murphy), but Murphy’s ship has passed.

Since SF doesn’t even open in The Music Man for a year, we are talking quite a ways in the future. I think it would be quite (incredibly) impressive if she can pull off both Marian and Rose fairly close together. Talk about versatility. To me, Marian is the ?, not Rose.

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#22Sutton Foster as Mama Rose in GYPSY
Posted: 10/30/19 at 11:50am

I agree that Marian seems like more of a stretch for Sutton than Rose. I miss the days that she was constantly originating stuff. Those roles ended up being much more suited for her skill set. Updated On: 10/30/19 at 11:50 AM

round2 Profile Photo
round2
#23Sutton Foster as Mama Rose in GYPSY
Posted: 10/30/19 at 1:04pm

givesmevoice said: "Tyne Daly was only 43 when she played Rose, for the record."

Of course, I should have realized that. I think of her as older, but that was 30 years ago. I wish I'd seen it, too. 

Updated On: 10/30/19 at 01:04 PM

JSquared2
#24Sutton Foster as Mama Rose in GYPSY
Posted: 10/30/19 at 1:19pm

I'd rather see Kristin Chenoweth as Rose in 5-10 years.

round2 Profile Photo
round2
#25Sutton Foster as Mama Rose in GYPSY
Posted: 10/30/19 at 1:22pm

JSquared2 said: "I'd rather see Kristin Chenoweth as Rose in 5-10 years."

She's 51 now. Does she read so young to you that she needs to wait?