pixeltracker

Imelda Staunton & Jenna Russell to lead HELLO DOLLY in London

Imelda Staunton & Jenna Russell to lead HELLO DOLLY in London

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1Imelda Staunton & Jenna Russell to lead HELLO DOLLY in London
Posted: 11/21/19 at 5:57pm

Imelda will play the title character and Jenna Russell will play Irene Malloy at the Adelphi beginning August 2020. @hellodollyldn The production will be directed by Dominic Cooke (NT Follies) and produced by David Ian and Michael Harrison.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#2Imelda Staunton & Jenna Russell to lead HELLO DOLLY in London
Posted: 11/21/19 at 6:01pm

If you're going to paste from Baz, I'll include the link.

https://twitter.com/BazBam/status/1197649069914673153

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#3Imelda Staunton & Jenna Russell to lead HELLO DOLLY in London
Posted: 11/21/19 at 6:04pm

Love Imelda, and I certainly won’t be seeing this since I don’t live in London, but I really hope she doesn’t trot out the stark raving mad schtick she’s been pushing for the last 5 years or so.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#4Imelda Staunton & Jenna Russell to lead HELLO DOLLY in London
Posted: 11/21/19 at 6:06pm

Mehhhh.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#5Imelda Staunton & Jenna Russell to lead HELLO DOLLY in London
Posted: 11/21/19 at 6:11pm

Why can’t we just have Jenna Russell as Dolly?

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#6Imelda Staunton & Jenna Russell to lead HELLO DOLLY in London
Posted: 11/21/19 at 6:12pm

I’m frankly too much of a Potter nut to like her and root for her so I simply cannot imagine her as Dolly Levi.

That being said, I had no idea she was in musician theatre. I wish them the best. Not a Rudin production I assume?

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#7Imelda Staunton & Jenna Russell to lead HELLO DOLLY in London
Posted: 11/21/19 at 6:15pm

oh lord, how will Imelda complicate this character? Wasn't Elaine Paige available?

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#8Imelda Staunton & Jenna Russell to lead HELLO DOLLY in London
Posted: 11/21/19 at 6:15pm

Mike Barrett said: "I’m frankly too much of a Potter nut to like her and root for her so I simply cannot imagine her as Dolly Levi.

That being said, I had no idea she was in musician theatre. I wish them the best. Not a Rudin production I assume?
"

She’s been in Follies, Gypsy, and Sweeney Todd just in the last few years 

SouthernCakes
#9Imelda Staunton & Jenna Russell to lead HELLO DOLLY in London
Posted: 11/21/19 at 6:16pm

Russell seems old for that part no?

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#10Imelda Staunton & Jenna Russell to lead HELLO DOLLY in London
Posted: 11/21/19 at 6:19pm

SouthernCakes said: "Russell seems old for that part no? "

This my my thought too. I’d much rather see Russell’s Dolly.

nasty_khakis
#11Imelda Staunton & Jenna Russell to lead HELLO DOLLY in London
Posted: 11/21/19 at 6:20pm

SouthernCakes said: "Russell seems old for that part no?"

In many ways no. I almost makes more sense for a woman her age to be tired of being a widow running a hat shop, tired of being called a wicked woman, and longing to "rejoin the human race."

However it's in the script Cornelius is in his 20s (I forget the age the line says) so it's certainly making a statement about the age gap. 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#12Imelda Staunton & Jenna Russell to lead HELLO DOLLY in London
Posted: 11/21/19 at 6:21pm

Why in the world is this anything other than the Rudin production with Bette at the Palladium?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#13Imelda Staunton & Jenna Russell to lead HELLO DOLLY in London
Posted: 11/21/19 at 6:23pm

I'm sure this will be... very stately. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ActorGuyIL
#14Imelda Staunton & Jenna Russell to lead HELLO DOLLY in London
Posted: 11/21/19 at 6:36pm

nasty_khakis said: "However it's in the script Cornelius is in his 20s (I forget the age the line says) so it's certainly making a statement about the age gap."

He's 33.

Impossible2
#15Imelda Staunton & Jenna Russell to lead HELLO DOLLY in London
Posted: 11/21/19 at 7:05pm

I'm sure she'll be better than Midler, but I couldn't possibly sit through the show again to find out.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#16Imelda Staunton & Jenna Russell to lead HELLO DOLLY in London
Posted: 11/21/19 at 7:23pm

So this isn’t the Zaks production? I thought Russell is too old as well.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#17Imelda Staunton & Jenna Russell to lead HELLO DOLLY in London
Posted: 11/21/19 at 7:25pm

Never mind. BWW updated its original article stating it’s a new production.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#18Imelda Staunton & Jenna Russell to lead HELLO DOLLY in London
Posted: 11/21/19 at 7:31pm

I also had the initial reaction that Russell is too old. But ultimately the character doesn’t HAVE to be young, and Russell will surely do a great job.

That said, I agree that that she’d be a great Dolly. I don’t mind Imelda; she’s the right “type,” and I’m sure she can hit all the notes and all the comedic beats. But I have a feeling that her Dolly will be pretty devoid of charm and likability.

JBC3
#19Imelda Staunton & Jenna Russell to lead HELLO DOLLY in London
Posted: 11/21/19 at 7:33pm

These criticisms sound like people reacting to Buckley all over again and things turned out fine with her. Dolly offers a lot of room for women with different personalities and styles to embody the character.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#20Imelda Staunton & Jenna Russell to lead HELLO DOLLY in London
Posted: 11/21/19 at 7:51pm

Mike Barrett said: "I’m frankly too much of a Potter nut to like her and root for her so I simply cannot imagine her as Dolly Levi.

"

Maybe Im twisted ,but Dolores Umbridge is one of my favorite characters. I just love how you evil she is.

Darreyl with an L!
Updated On: 11/21/19 at 07:51 PM

Zion24
#21Imelda Staunton & Jenna Russell to lead HELLO DOLLY in London
Posted: 11/21/19 at 7:59pm

gleek4114 said: "Why can’t we just have Jenna Russell as Dolly?"

my exact reaction. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#22Imelda Staunton & Jenna Russell to lead HELLO DOLLY in London
Posted: 11/21/19 at 8:09pm

What an absolutely insane choice of casting. I’ll be in town for “Sister Act” so I’m 100% going to see this but this will no doubt be the most intense Dolly Levi we’ll ever see. I can’t imagine who they’ll cast as Horace next to her.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#23Imelda Staunton & Jenna Russell to lead HELLO DOLLY in London
Posted: 11/21/19 at 8:09pm

CATSNYrevival said: "Why in the world is this anything other than the Rudin production with Bette at the Palladium?"

My thoughts too

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#24Imelda Staunton & Jenna Russell to lead HELLO DOLLY in London
Posted: 11/21/19 at 8:45pm

The absence of an exclamation point is telling.

Dollypop
#25Imelda Staunton & Jenna Russell to lead HELLO DOLLY in London
Posted: 11/21/19 at 8:48pm

Hmm... this could possibly be where I celebrate seeing the show for the 100th time.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)