pixeltracker

Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?- Page 2

Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?

Fordham2015
#25Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?
Posted: 12/22/19 at 7:05pm

Paramour- terrible book, terrible score, pointless acrobatics including a neverending finale, and the worst rhyme I've ever heard in a Broadway musical:

"We're in a tangle/It's a love triangle/Cause three is one too many"

jbroadway4 Profile Photo
jbroadway4
#26Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?
Posted: 12/22/19 at 7:32pm

Having seen hundreds of shows in my lifetime, hands down the worst of them all... Enron.

Updated On: 12/22/19 at 07:32 PM

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#27Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?
Posted: 12/22/19 at 7:41pm

Putting in my nomination for The Parisian Woman. Oof.

orph3us Profile Photo
orph3us
#28Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?
Posted: 12/22/19 at 7:45pm

The erasure of King Kong hurts

forgetmenotnyc Profile Photo
forgetmenotnyc
#29Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?
Posted: 12/22/19 at 8:03pm

King Lear Glenda Jackson caused me to think that Shakespeare was an awful playwright. Lightning Thief had me leave at intermission. Hated Farinelli. Don't agree with others choices of If/Then, Mullinger, Beetlejuice or Amazing Grace. Slave Play pissed me off with its anti-white "taking up too much space" stance.

Updated On: 12/22/19 at 08:03 PM

mpkie
#30Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?
Posted: 12/22/19 at 8:08pm

There's so much bad ****, BEETLEJUICE has no business being on there. Yes I'm biased but the masses are with me on this one-- it's delightful

The list of truly joyless shows of the last 5 years (when I started attending bway) is long but my vote goes to BE MORE CHILL.

Worst play has got to be The Cherry Orchard though. So dreadful.

Maybe that is the worst because I'd rather sit through BMC again instead of The Cherry Orchard.

Hairspray0901
#31Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?
Posted: 12/22/19 at 8:08pm

I’m going to add in “American Psycho”. I thought that show was absolutely awful.

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#32Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?
Posted: 12/22/19 at 9:04pm

showchoirguy said: "The Anarchist. Periodt."

Same. Nothing even comes close for me and I've basically seen everything that's opened on Broadway in the past decade minus a handful of shows. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#33Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?
Posted: 12/22/19 at 9:07pm

Disaster & Wonderland were really bad. Charlie & the Chocolate Factory was a gigantic disappointment. How is Lightning Thief not a poll option? Beetlejuice doesn't belong in that poll. Spiderman likely wins due to its somewhat long run, but it wasn't all that bad. Most of the shows listed I didn't see as I was given warnings by several friends.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Lifesmellsweird
#34Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?
Posted: 12/22/19 at 9:21pm

VernonGersch said: "it wasn't on Broadway but...the Diana DeGarmo/Ace Young production of JOSEPH & THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAST was truly the worst thing I have ever seen. "

Oof it was brutal. 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#35Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?
Posted: 12/22/19 at 9:33pm

I loved Enron.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#36Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?
Posted: 12/22/19 at 10:10pm

Surprised to see "Summer: The Donna Summer Musical"  was no listed, but it still got my write-in vote. As a lifelong fan of Summer, this was an insult to her legendary career.  She deserved much better, in every sense of the word. 

BroadwayMarley
#37Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?
Posted: 12/22/19 at 10:15pm

Roundabout's Cherry Orchard.

wolfwriter
#38Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?
Posted: 12/22/19 at 11:08pm

Worst: The Testament Of Mary

Honorable Mention:

The Velocity of Autumn

The Cherry Orchard

Gary: A Sequel To Titus Andronicus

Beetlejuice

Linda Vista

Impossible2
#39Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?
Posted: 12/22/19 at 11:41pm

I liked The Cherry Orchard, but then I’ve never seen another production of it to compare it to. I liked the play itself though.

I really disliked War Paint and I absolutely hated Fun Home, Falsettos and Caroline or Change. I think I hated Falsettos the most though.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#40Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?
Posted: 12/22/19 at 11:48pm

I’m going to be positive and shout out my appreciation for Spider-Man, Wonderland, Scandalous, Bullets Over Broadway, Amazing Grace, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Beetlejuice.

magictodo123
#41Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?
Posted: 12/23/19 at 7:38am

quizking101 said: "Considering the cult hit it’s become, I’m surprised BEETLEJUICE is on the list

I picked SCANDALOUS
"

I was also confused when I saw that! 

magictodo123
#42Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?
Posted: 12/23/19 at 7:42am

Not on the list but I'll second War Paint, and looking it up I confirmed that the production of "It's A Bird, It's a plane..." that I saw was in the last decade (2013)--my grandmother and I walked out at intermission. 

pg1287
#43Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?
Posted: 12/23/19 at 7:46am

Luckily Broadway was spared, but the US Tour of The Bodyguard deserves a mention. 

Broadway Buddy
#44Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?
Posted: 12/23/19 at 7:49am

Oh yeah! I forgot about Charlie! I thought the cast was okay (except for Borle. He can nail any role in the history of theatre) but it was a huge disappointment. Being 12 at the time, I thought it was good (still not great), but I still remember it now at 15, and being like “it was terrible”

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#45Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?
Posted: 12/23/19 at 8:45am

Anybody for Seminar?

I know you. I know you. I know you.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#46Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?
Posted: 12/23/19 at 9:18am

The Testament of Mary
Doctor Zhivago
The Crucible

Those should be included in your poll.

Why is Beetlejuice an option?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

SouthernCakes
#47Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?
Posted: 12/23/19 at 9:42am

Junk.

Getting the Band Back Together.

Most recently: Jagged Little Pill. I’ve never wanted to leave a show at intermission, but oof, I really had to resist leaving at this one.

Mark Waltz Profile Photo
Mark Waltz
#48Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?
Posted: 12/23/19 at 10:12am

I voted for "The Performers", one of the most pointless comedies I've ever seen. The audience was even more vile. My second choice on the list would be "Jekyll & Hyde" which I call "Heckle & Jekyll & Hide". I enjoyed so many of these flops for different reasons. No love lost for me for Kathy Lee Gifford, but I had sympathy for Carolee Carmello for "Scandalous" and was thrilled she got nominated. "Tuck Everlasting" isn't listed, but I had hoped she'd get a Featured Actress nomination. "Baby It's You" is just nostalgic fun, but all of the audience singing along was distracting. I wanted to hear Beth Leavel and the other performers, and had to strain to hear them. I didn't hate "Amelie", but thought it should have been Off Broadway. "Spider Man" is way up high, but I didn't choose it because I thought it was hysterically camp. (I saw it in the lengthy preview period and didn't go back to see the revisions.) "Disaster" was a night of fun, but I'm glad I got a last minute rush ticket rather than pay at TKTS or use one of the online discount sites. "Bullets Over Broadway" is disappointing only because it's one of my favorite movies, but it suffered from a weak book, not a terrific cast. I'll always remember Marin Mazzie's entrance....One of the greatest memories of the decade!

One Grecian Ern

gibsons2
#49Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?
Posted: 12/23/19 at 12:50pm

I haven't seen hundreds of shows since I've been a theater fan since 2014 only (I've seen around 50 in 5 years), but the absolute worst has to be the Cats revival. I've failed to understand what was the point of this show, what was the story. They kept singing Memories several times during the show and the rest of the score just remained unmemorable for me. I've never see anyone leaving the theater during and BEFORE the intermission. I had to watch the whole thing because my daughter (who was 8 at that time) refused to leave. At the end I left the theater disappointed and embarrassed because of how bad the show was.  

Videos