Why are DEH Tickets So Cheap?

lukeworsham
#1Why are DEH Tickets So Cheap?
Posted: 2/17/22 at 11:53pm

Was just perusing ticket sites in prep for a May NYC trip, and I noticed that tickets to DEH when I'll be in town are extraordinarily cheap. You can sit virtually anywhere in the Music Box outside of premium for just over $100, even the front row. Not even Phantom is that cheap.

What's up with that?

yyys
#2Why are DEH Tickets So Cheap?
Posted: 2/18/22 at 12:08am

Maybe demand is slowing down......I mean, I saw it and hated it....Evan Hansen to me is such a creepy character. Score is rather forgettable too.

lukeworsham said: "Was just perusing ticket sites in prep for a May NYC trip, and I noticed that tickets to DEH when I'll be in town are extraordinarily cheap. You can sit virtually anywhere in the Music Box outside of premium for just over $100, even the front row. Not even Phantom is that cheap.

What's up with that?
"

Ravenclaw
#3Why are DEH Tickets So Cheap?
Posted: 2/18/22 at 12:44am

It makes me really sad that these days a $100+ ticket is considered cheap.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#4Why are DEH Tickets So Cheap?
Posted: 2/18/22 at 1:14am

Buzz ain’t great, demand is low. 

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#5Why are DEH Tickets So Cheap?
Posted: 2/18/22 at 1:21am

The pandemic killed its momentum and the movie killed its mojo. The bloom is off the rose. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#6Why are DEH Tickets So Cheap?
Posted: 2/18/22 at 1:57am

I never understood the hype. The main character is a gross human. The direction is boring. The design is boring. Why is the band in a half-seen loft above the stage? Nothing about it feels high-budget or interesting. Every song sounds like the last one.

Fosse76
#7Why are DEH Tickets So Cheap?
Posted: 2/18/22 at 3:28am

lukeworsham said: "Was just perusing ticket sites in prep for a May NYC trip, and I noticed that tickets to DEH when I'll be in town are extraordinarily cheap. You can sit virtually anywhere in the Music Box outside of premium for just over $100, even the front row. Not even Phantom is that cheap.

What's up with that?
"

That's nothing...my friends who work at Come From Away say that they've seen a large amount of prime orchestra seats sold for only $52, and even with the show's massive discounts they aren't even filling half the house for most performances. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#8Why are DEH Tickets So Cheap?
Posted: 2/18/22 at 7:37am

I just poked around on Telecharge and in the orchestra, only the front row (which isn't considered prime viewing in that theater) and extreme sides were under a hundred.  Most tix are listed for 169 and up.

The mezz was more reasonably priced than it used to be...many more tix at $89....but still ranging up to $150.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#9Why are DEH Tickets So Cheap?
Posted: 2/18/22 at 8:15am

RippedMan said: "I never understood the hype. The main character is a gross human. The direction is boring. The design is boring. Why is the band in a half-seen loft above the stage? Nothing about it feels high-budget or interesting. Every song sounds like the last one."

^ THIS.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#10Why are DEH Tickets So Cheap?
Posted: 2/18/22 at 9:59am

I still maintain that most people who refer to Evan as a bad person (etc.) are very self-assured people (good for them) with little to no empathy. I've known people like Evan, and I can see how they could easily have been swept up into the type of thing he gets into without meaning to due to their severe social anxieties. Are Connor's parents awful people too for not telling people the truth once they've found out? (Just to be clear, I don't think they are, just asking the question.) Just my opinion, of course, and no disrespect meant to anyone for theirs.

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

Jarethan
#11Why are DEH Tickets So Cheap?
Posted: 2/18/22 at 10:15am

Broadway Bob* said: "I still maintain that most people who refer to Evan as a bad person (etc.) are very self-assured people (good for them) with little to no empathy. I've known people like Evan, and I can see how they could easily have been swept up into the type of thing he gets into without meaning to due to their severe social anxieties. Are Connor's parents awful people too for not telling people the truth once they've found out? (Just to be clear, I don't think they are, just asking the question.) Just my opinion, of course, and no disrespect meant to anyone for theirs."

Agree 100%

windowwaving
#12Why are DEH Tickets So Cheap?
Posted: 2/18/22 at 10:22am

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Zachary-Noah-Piser-Will-Take-Over-Title-Role-in-DEAR-EVAN-HANSEN-and-More-New-Casting-For-2022-20220218

This might explain it. Kind of confusing though, so each actor will be full-time for each season? (Zach, Ben, Sam)

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#13Why are DEH Tickets So Cheap?
Posted: 2/18/22 at 11:53am

Remember when we used to think a movie adaptation would kill the current Broadway production and they all survived? Even the poorly received The Producers? Finally happened here, where stink of the movie, and the lack of a concurrently running production that could separate itself from the film version, definitely killed  the momentum of the show.

I've been in the minority thinking the book was more interesting in the score, but I think all the movie really showed was just how bizarre it was to have a dark story with all these anthems stick into it.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#14Why are DEH Tickets So Cheap?
Posted: 2/18/22 at 12:01pm

Broadway Bob* said: "I still maintain that most people who refer to Evan as a bad person (etc.) are very self-assured people (good for them) with little to no empathy. I've known people like Evan, and I can see how they could easily have been swept up into the type of thing he gets into without meaning to due to their severe social anxieties. Are Connor's parents awful people too for not telling people the truth once they've found out? (Just to be clear, I don't think they are, just asking the question.) Just my opinion, of course, and no disrespect meant to anyone for theirs."

Awesome comment, I totally agree. The music is beautiful and seeing Ben in that role being so brilliant made for an incredible night at the theater. Those who don't get Evan or who fail to understand mental illness, truama, etc. will never like this show, and that's okay. There is a reason it's been so successful on Broadway, because most people can.

Jordan is gone on Sunday which given his erratic schedule seems like a good move. 

Updated On: 2/18/22 at 12:01 PM

Broadway61004
#15Why are DEH Tickets So Cheap?
Posted: 2/18/22 at 12:35pm

RippedMan said: "Why is the band in a half-seen loft above the stage?"

I was literally just having this discussion yesterday about the band in Company (which takes up the entire top half of the proscenium) and someone brought this up in comparison.  For some reason, the band being onstage in DEH didn't really bother me (I think because they were tucked away so not taking up a huge amount of space) but I agree it didn't really add anything to the show by them being there.  Was the same way I felt about Next to Normal--it didn't distract me, but also no real point aesthetically for them to be onstage.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#16Why are DEH Tickets So Cheap?
Posted: 2/18/22 at 12:50pm

Bettyboy72 said: "The pandemic killed its momentum and the movie killed its mojo. The bloom is off the rose."

Fosse76 said: "my friends who work at Come From Away say that they've seen a large amount of prime orchestra seats sold for only $52, and even with the show's massive discounts they aren't even filling half the house for most performances."

I think CFA was deeply hurt by releasing the filmed production. I might have seen it again, but watching it on my couch scratched that itch. The DEH film damaged its reputation, and the "diehards" cannot be counted on to buy tickets at a sustainable volume.

I have suspected for a while that both may be reaching the ends of their Bway runs. Girl From The North Country is probably hoping for either the Schoenfeld or Music Box.

I don't usually advocate for Bway shows moving Off-Bway, but considering DEH's size, I wonder if it could be a good candidate for New World Stages or the Little Shubert? It may be able to fill 450 seats a week instead of 1000.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#17Why are DEH Tickets So Cheap?
Posted: 2/18/22 at 1:41pm

Hmmm... I just looked at a few dates in May and the cheapest ticket is $89. 

I wouldn't consider that "so cheap" but if that's cheap for you, then good for you! Why are DEH Tickets So Cheap?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#18Why are DEH Tickets So Cheap?
Posted: 2/18/22 at 1:49pm

I'm usually a hugely empathetic person, but for some reason this character rubbed me the wrong way. It didn't feel like social anxiety to me, but just manipulation. And then we're suppose to fall for the romance? Nah. 

Also, i get WHY the orchestra is on stage given 2nd Stage has no wing space, but given the move to Braodway I wish they would have rethought the design a little. It just feels crowded for no reason. 

Dollypop
#19Why are DEH Tickets So Cheap?
Posted: 2/18/22 at 2:32pm

I suffered through the movie. I'll see the show when it pops up on TDF for $57.00--not one minute sooner.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

pattilupony
#20Why are DEH Tickets So Cheap?
Posted: 2/18/22 at 3:02pm

What's up with that?
"

The front row has always been one of the cheapest price points at DEH. The stage is excruciatingly high, those seats are terrible. 

Phantom sells tickets for as low as 29$. The lowest price point at DEH seems to be 99$ on most weekends. I don't really think it's cheaper than Phantom. Their price points are about the same as Wicked's. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#21Why are DEH Tickets So Cheap?
Posted: 2/18/22 at 3:27pm

pattilupony said: "lukeworsham said: "Was just perusing ticket sites in prep for a May NYC trip, and I noticed that tickets to DEH when I'll be in town are extraordinarily cheap. You can sit virtually anywhere in the Music Box outside of premium for just over $100, even the front row. Not even Phantom is that cheap.

What's up with that?
"

Phantom sells tickets for as low as 29$. The lowest price point at DEH seems to be 99$ on most weekends. I don't really think it's cheaper than Phantom. Their price points are about the same as Wicked's.
"

I recently attended the Phantom Anniversary performance/ Emilie's first night taking over the role of Christine and I only paid $49.00 for a second row aisle seat in the rear Mezz. Regular price.

Just give the world Love.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#22Why are DEH Tickets So Cheap?
Posted: 2/18/22 at 3:51pm

The discount code EVANWINTER was extended another month to 4/30/22. 
Orchestra from $99
Tickets from $79

adotburr
#23Why are DEH Tickets So Cheap?
Posted: 2/18/22 at 5:01pm

My friend and I saw front row at DEH and paid $99 plus fees. This was a few weeks after Ben P left. At the time, they were the cheapest seats in the theatre. Not awful, but I would not recommend. 

she/her . “everything’s legal in new jersey”

trpguyy
#24Why are DEH Tickets So Cheap?
Posted: 2/18/22 at 5:44pm

everythingtaboo said: "Remember when we used to think a movie adaptation would kill the current Broadway production and they all survived? Even the poorly received The Producers? Finally happened here, where stink of the movie, and the lack of a concurrently running production that could separate itself from the film version, definitely killed the momentum of the show.."

The show has been selling well, all things considered, so this post-mortem is a bit premature.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#25Why are DEH Tickets So Cheap?
Posted: 2/18/22 at 6:02pm

The DEH post-mortems early continues the trend of that show: During the first months, many people were like "that show won't survive after Ben Platt leaves, he's the whole show!" or "it won't win major Tonys outside of Best Actor!"