pixeltracker

CAMELOT Returns to Broadway - Reviews Thread- Page 7

CAMELOT Returns to Broadway - Reviews Thread

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#150Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 8/18/22 at 5:16pm

The last production I saw of CAMELOT was on a weekend stay in Seattle. It played at the 5th Avenue Theatre and starred The Yorks (Michael and Rachel respectively). As always, Rachel was a wonderful Guinivere. But Sorkin and Sher PLEASE don't do what those Lerner kids did who were in charge of that production. They cut, yes CUT,  "I Loved You Once In Silence" which I was so looking forward to hearing. Especially with Rachel singing it. It's such a poignant introspective moment for the character and its placement towards the end of the second act is perfection. Other than that, I look forward to this production after being totally pleased with SOUTH PACIFIC, KING AND I, and MY FAIR LADY. And a lot of that has had to do with hearing a full orchestra pit performing these scores as originally orchestrated.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#151Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 8/20/22 at 3:38am

Demitri2 said: "They cut, yes CUT, "I Loved You Once In Silence" which I was so looking forward to hearing. Especially with Rachel singing it."

“I Loved You Once in Silence” was eventually added back by the time I saw that tour after the cast change when Lou Diamond Phillips joined as Arthur.

Emma_Pillsbury Profile Photo
Emma_Pillsbury
#152Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 8/20/22 at 8:12am

CATSNYrevival said: "Demitri2 said: "They cut, yes CUT, "I Loved You Once In Silence" which I was so looking forward to hearing. Especially with Rachel singing it."

“I Loved You Once in Silence” was eventually added back by the time I saw that tour after the cast change when Lou Diamond Phillips joined as Arthur.
"

Here is a very interesting 2007 article about this production from Playbill.com published at the time Lou Diamond Phillips was taking over the role of "Arthur" from Michael York. It goes into great detail regarding the changes made to the show for the tour:

Lou Diamond Phillips to Play King Arthur in Camelot Tour

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#153Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 8/20/22 at 8:19am

Thank you, Emma! That was an interesting read. I saw the tour back in January of 2008. I don't remember much other than the set being pretty and being bored to tears by the show as a whole. Rachel York was great, though.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Emma_Pillsbury Profile Photo
Emma_Pillsbury
#154Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 8/20/22 at 8:32am

bwayphreak234 said: "Thank you, Emma! That was an interesting read. I saw the tour back in January of 2008. I don't remember much other than the set being pretty and being bored to tears by the show as a whole. Rachel York was great, though."

You're welcome! I have no doubt that Rachel York was great as Guenevere. How was Lou as Arthur?

SondheimTesori
#155Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 9/25/22 at 12:12pm

Any recent rumblings about casting (specifically Arthur and Guenevere)? Feel like we always go through this anticipation with Sher revivals. So excited to see who finally does this.

wickedwitch2
#156Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 9/29/22 at 2:49pm

How are there no rumors on any of the cast?  Is this still happening?

OhHiii
#157Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 9/29/22 at 3:03pm

wickedwitch2 said: "How are there no rumors on any of the cast? Is this still happening?"

Last season Lincoln Center took forever to announce anything for Skin Of Our Teeth too.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#158Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 9/29/22 at 3:33pm

It is still about 6 months away. I'm guessing they aren't allowed to announce for fear it will effect ticket sales of whatever whoever is currently in.

Like say its Hugh Jackman & Sutton Foster. * Would you buy tickets to see them again in an old show or wait to see them in a new show?

*I can pretty much guarantee it isn't Hugh Jackman & Sutton Foster 

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#160Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/7/22 at 5:11pm

That might be among McMullan’s worst work. Wonder if it is time for LCT to retire him. The tree in the foreground makes it look more like Lion King, and then there’s a weird perspective of the mountain/castle and the way all those colors interact with each other. Don’t love the plain yellow title treatment either. 

Or maybe Andre is the issue and he has stayed past his prime and it’s time for change at the highest levels? I don’t know. 

Updated On: 10/7/22 at 05:11 PM

MysteriousLady
#161Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/7/22 at 5:14pm

I like the artwork. I don't love it, but it is very striking.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#162Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/7/22 at 5:23pm

I like it, personally. Can’t wait to find out the cast. I’m really excited for this! 

MidWestTheater
#163Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/7/22 at 5:28pm

I like it as well. Although personally I do like when the characters are front and center, like his Carousel Poster or the recent one he has for Becky Nurse of Salem. I was luckily enough years ago to take his class at SVA, and he's an amazing teacher. Also I dig, who I assume is Arthur in the tree. Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#164Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/7/22 at 5:59pm

I love the art.

Dollypop
#165Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/7/22 at 6:02pm

Is this show the story of a tree and a castle?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

VintageSnarker
#166Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/7/22 at 6:46pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "That might be among McMullan’s worst work. Wonder if it is time for LCT to retire him. The tree in the foreground makes it look more like Lion King, and then there’s a weird perspective of the mountain/castle and the way all those colors interact with each other. Don’t love the plain yellow title treatment either.

Or maybe Andre is the issue and he has stayed past his prime and it’s time for change at the highest levels? I don’t know.
"

The composition and colors are just strange choices. I agree about TLK and I didn't notice the man in the tree until reading the thread. If you split it in half, each half feels like the kind of basic painting you do when you're taking your first art classes. The bottom half is not really that joyful and idealistic and the top half is not really ominous and foreboding. tbh, they just look like ugly landscapes.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#167Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/7/22 at 6:48pm

Dollypop said: "Is this show the story of a tree and a castle?"

I hope the tree grows out of the stage at the beginning of the show with Arthur on it. Like the boat entering for King & I. Just to drive home the point that he is escaping responsibilities in a tree.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#168Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/7/22 at 6:53pm

It’s not his best work.

Rentaholic2
Fordham2015
#170Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/7/22 at 7:49pm

It's giving grade school art project

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#171Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/7/22 at 10:08pm

It’s lovely, and in an age in which most key art is bland, uninspired digital work done by committee by some agency, I am glad LCT retains McMullen. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

SouthernCakes
#172Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/7/22 at 10:28pm

That’s.. not great. The yellow cartoony Camelot font… nope.. doesn’t say regal to me. 

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#173Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/7/22 at 10:47pm

The vibe is “paint and sip,” but I wonder if Sorkin and company are leaning away from mannered poise and glamour towards an earthier simplicity for this version of the show.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#174Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 10/7/22 at 11:22pm

darquegk said: "The vibe is “paint and sip,” but I wonder if Sorkin and company are leaning away from mannered poise and glamour towards an earthier simplicity for this version of the show."

To me this doesn't say early simplicity...is should be made more simple! Softer colors, less going on, maybe a little more impressionistic...