pixeltracker

Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?- Page 11

Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#250Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/24/22 at 4:17pm

Kad said: "Yes, I’ve heard Borle is out- but the actor I’ve heard as his replacement worked with Borle in a show that won Borle a Tony. He also hasn’t been in a musical for a little while, on stage at least.

"

I can think of several actors to whom this would apply, who would also make a great Baker. But can't think of any who are box office draws...

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#251Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/24/22 at 4:19pm

JBroadway said: "Kad said: "Yes, I’ve heard Borle is out- but the actor I’ve heard as his replacement worked with Borle in a show that won Borle a Tony. He also hasn’t been in a musical for a little while, on stage at least.

"

I can think of several actors to whom this would apply, who would also make a great Baker. But can't think of any who are box office draws...
"

Never said he was a box office draw, though. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#252Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/24/22 at 4:23pm

I mean, John Cariani would fit the role like a glove...

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#253Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/24/22 at 4:25pm

JBroadway said: "I mean, John Cariani would fit the role like a glove..."

Yes, but alas he doesn't match the description (Caroline or Change).

Unless Kad is talking Brooks Ashmanskas? Which idk on paper if that would work.

InTheBathroom1
#254Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/24/22 at 4:27pm

Delete

Updated On: 5/24/22 at 04:27 PM

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#255Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/24/22 at 4:29pm

InTheBathroom1 said: "My guess is Rob McClure. They were in Something Rotten together for a few months and Rob has already played the role (and he’s newly available)"

But he, too, has been on stage recently - or still is, at least until the 29. Kad described someone who hadn't been in a musical lately "at least on stage." Since BDJ played Officer Krupke in the WSS movie, he's my guess.

I'm getting kinda frustrated with all the rumors and teases...

I know you. I know you. I know you.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#256Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/24/22 at 4:30pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "JBroadway said: "I mean, John Cariani would fit the role like a glove..."

Yes, but alas he doesn't match the description (Caroline or Change).

Unless Kad is talking Brooks Ashmanskas? Which idk on paper if that would work.
"

Oh oops, I totally missed that part of the clue. It has to BDJ then, because he (a) hadn't done a musical in a while, and (b) the "on stage at least" must indicate that he's done a musical on screen recently (West Side Story). Any other people from those two shows who has recently done a movie musical? 

ijest22
ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure
#258Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/24/22 at 4:38pm

I think Brandon would be excellent. Brian I think also would be, but I feel like he’d look a bit too old opposite Sara. John is another exciting idea, though I wonder how he’d do vocally.

I could see Rob McLure being a fine fit, and I’d love if Santino Fontana did it.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#259Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/24/22 at 4:39pm

GlindatheGood22 said: "I'm getting kinda frustrated with all the rumors and teases..."

It's probably more frustrating for the people working on the transfer who thought it would be an easy switch over!

Things have been in flux but there is a serious commitment to ensuring this happens over the summer. The original casting of the Encores presentation didn't have any other major box office draws other than Bareilles, either. That same sort of sensibility is going into the replacement casting: stock the show with prominent theater performers who may have a little bit of draw to the general public and let that work.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 5/24/22 at 04:39 PM

Emmeline Carter
#260Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/24/22 at 4:41pm

I know Christian Borle didn't win a Tony for this role (Falsettos), but an Andrew Rannells Baker would be amazing!! 

Hamilfan2
#261Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/24/22 at 6:51pm

Kad said: "Bareilles is onboard and has been this whole time. The problems have been recasting the Witch, Cinderella, and the Baker. The names I’d previously heard attached to those roles are all out, but the new ones are pretty exciting if they come to pass.
But it seems like they’re finally close to having everything nailed down. An announcement is imminent.
"

Lots of speculation on the Baker, but any clues for who the new Witch and Cinderella might be?

Would love to see Patina Miller reprise her role as the witch from the Hollywood Bowl and if they could get Ashley back as Cinderella that would be a dream (although seems unlikely with her busy schedule.

Square Peg2
#262Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/24/22 at 7:08pm

Kad said: "

That same sort of sensibility is going into the replacement casting: stock the show with prominent theater performers who may have a little bit of draw to the general public and let that work.

"

This brings me such joy! As a new arrival to NYC, this is exactly the kind of show I'm thrilled to see.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#263Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/24/22 at 7:30pm

I’ve actually wanted to see Brian d’Arcy James as The Baker for so long now. There’s something about him that I truly have always thought would make him exceptional in the role. 

And he’s only 5 years older than NPH. 

WesternSky2 Profile Photo
WesternSky2
#264Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/24/22 at 7:52pm

Brian as the baker would be absolute dream casting for me. Take my money.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#265Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/24/22 at 8:03pm

Fun fact! Brian D’arcy James played the Baker in a regional production over 20 years ago! 

Updated On: 5/24/22 at 08:03 PM

VintageSnarker
#266Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/24/22 at 11:11pm

Emmeline Carter said: "I know Christian Borle didn't win a Tony for this role (Falsettos), but an Andrew Rannells Baker would be amazing!!"

Rannells and Uranowitz are the only ones suggested so far who I could see giving a performance similar to NPH. As much as I enjoyed their performances, it does feel a bit weird to have Sara and Gavin as the strongest leads transferring over. I don't know if the production itself was strong enough to warrant a transfer apart from the performances. There doesn't seem to be a point in looking to match "types" as I don't know that the production had that strong of a vision. 

I mostly hope NYCC will eventually release more clips of Heather since I know they have them. Denee was fine but I'd be open to a more comedic Cinderella to better fit the vibe of this production.

ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure
#267Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/24/22 at 11:16pm

Yeah I feel what Denee needed most was more comedy. I think she could’ve grown into that though with more time, so I’ll be upset to see her go.

I also will be upset to see Heather not continue, because what I saw needed a bit of work but was mostly dynamite, so I wish that I could see her tackle it again, cause I know she could’ve perfected the take.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#268Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/24/22 at 11:38pm

Want to give us a Cinderella or Witch (Renee Elise) hint, Kad?

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#269Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 8:12am

As of now, the Witch is a Tony-winner who has played it before, more recently than Heather had. Cinderella is currently wrapping up an off-Broadway show, which will make her available just in time to begin rehearsals.

amiyagi
#270Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 8:26am

The Witch definitely sounds like Patina Miller (Tony winner, Hollywood Bowl). As for Cinderella, I'm not really up to date on what is closing off-Broadway other than Suffs. Phillipa Soo?

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#271Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 8:26am

Patina Miller and Phillipa Soo?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#272Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 8:32am

TaffyDavenport said: "Patina Miller and Phillipa Soo?"

My thoughts exactly.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#273Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 8:43am

I'd plunk down money for them.    JUST ANNOUNCE ALREADY!   

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

willep
#274Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 9:27am

Soo was the first to come to my mind as well. Keep it in the Natasha family Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer? that being said rumors are rumors. I’ll believe this transfer is happening only when there’s an announcement.