Museum of Broadway

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1Museum of Broadway
Posted: 11/8/22 at 1:56pm

Personally, I love what I am seeing here, and they had me until they said it will be $50 a ticket??? I mean, I will certainly pay $50 to go once but do tourists pay $50 to go to a museum? Especially something this niche? I can't remember paying $50 to go to any museum in my life. Maybe I have a short memory but makes me nervous this whole enterprise will be short lived. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56nBbrw8Wew

I suspect many would prefer to put the $50 towards seeing an actual show.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Museum of Broadway
Posted: 11/8/22 at 2:04pm

My EXACT thoughts!   WAAY too expensive, in my mind! The MOMA charges half that.....and I guarantee they have 10x the exhibits.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#3Museum of Broadway
Posted: 11/8/22 at 2:23pm

I’ll definitely be visiting once they smooth out the early kinks.  The Academy Museum in Los Angeles (at $25) was a huge disappoint upon its opening and just now is it starting to address its hiccups.  The only major plus for me are the film screenings they have at their Geffen Theatre, which is a state-of-the-art red encased movie theatre.  

UncleCharlie
#4Museum of Broadway
Posted: 11/8/22 at 5:46pm

$39 + $4 service fee for a ticket for a specific 15 minute window.

$49 + $4 service fee to show up anytime on a certain day...

for a museum their FAQs estimate will be a 1 to 2 hour visit.

Hard pass. I'll wait till it's inevitably on Groupon or Goldstar for $15-$20.

saxpower
#5Museum of Broadway
Posted: 11/8/22 at 5:55pm

I'm going Saturday 11/19 during my NYC trip and report back (when I get back home from the trip-won't have my laptop with me). 

Victoria_Morris
#6Museum of Broadway
Posted: 11/9/22 at 2:35am

binau said: "Personally, I love what I am seeing here, and they had me until they said it will be $50 a ticket??? I mean, I will certainly pay $50 to go once but do tourists pay $50 to go to a museum? Especially something this niche? I can't remember paying $50 to go to any museum in my life. Maybe I have a short memory but makes me nervous this whole enterprise will be short lived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56nBbrw8Wew cookie clicker

I suspect many would prefer to put the $50 towards seeing an actual show.
"

Paying $50 for a one-time experience is possible, but this won't happen often. It means that the business will not be able to survive for long and without loyal customers.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#7Museum of Broadway
Posted: 11/9/22 at 12:23pm

I have to admit, I never thought much of this idea to begin with but assumed I'd check it out -  at this cost, I doubt I'll go at all.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#8Museum of Broadway
Posted: 11/10/22 at 12:13am

I’m fine with a $50 fee especially for something like this, which is great in theory, but that news clip is not helping the cause. They have entire rooms or spaces they could have used to display and really do something with, and it’s like one or two mannequins?

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#9Museum of Broadway
Posted: 11/11/22 at 2:42pm

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#11Museum of Broadway
Posted: 11/11/22 at 2:56pm

I'm sure over time tickets to this will be available at a discount.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#12Museum of Broadway
Posted: 11/11/22 at 3:04pm

Hard pass after these “sneak peek” videos.  The free one they had at the Lincoln Center covering Hal Prince’s career was beyond - the detailed set models of his shows including the original one for 1970’s COMPANY and 1971’s FOLLIES, plus lots of videos, photos, costumes (including LuPone’s “Buenos Aires” costume from 1979’s EVITA), the actual storefront set from SWEENEY TODD, many costumes from THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, including the gondola, etc.  Oh, and did I forget to mention it was FREE?!  

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#13Museum of Broadway
Posted: 11/11/22 at 3:18pm

They'll probably have rotating exhibits at some point. I may visit if the special exhibit is interesting to me.

Some theaters like the Gershwin (Wicked), Richard Rodgers (Hamilton), August Wilson (Funny Girl) have areas in the theater lobby/corridor with Broadway history stuff.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#14Museum of Broadway
Posted: 11/11/22 at 3:27pm

I'm shocked over how cheap and tacky this looks. Broadway deserves a better museum than this. 

Dollypop
#15Museum of Broadway
Posted: 11/11/22 at 3:35pm

Does anyone expect this to last more than a few months?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

seaweedjstubbs Profile Photo
seaweedjstubbs
#16Museum of Broadway
Posted: 11/11/22 at 4:17pm

It looks less like a true museum and more like a place to just take Instagram photos. Kinda like the Museum of Ice Cream, also in NYC. Too bad. I was really looking forward to a real Broadway museum. This ain’t it, kid.

chrishuyen
#17Museum of Broadway
Posted: 11/11/22 at 6:31pm

Based on a review from Matt Tamanini on BroadwayRadio, it seems like it's a timeline walkthrough of the history of Broadway, starting from things like the Follies and minstrel shows and going through the Rodgers and Hammerstein era and so forth, with a lot of old costumes and memorabilia (Patti LuPone's wig from Evita and audience survey responses from the NYTW run of Rent were mentioned).  That definitely makes me more curious but I'm assuming it'll be around for a bit so I'll see if they adjust pricing during the winter months.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#18Museum of Broadway
Posted: 11/12/22 at 1:15am

Looks underwhelming. Count me out.

Dolly80
#19Museum of Broadway
Posted: 11/12/22 at 3:01am

Clearly designed for the vapid selfie generation to spend their visit taking photos of themselves. I don’t imagine they will pay $50 to do that here. What a wasted opportunity. I was interested to go before I saw this video and now won’t be.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#20Museum of Broadway
Posted: 11/12/22 at 10:37am

For this cost, you could get a rush ticket to an actual Broadway show. And for a little bit more, you could follow that up by then going to any of NYC’s world class museums. 

Real museums don’t charge this much. Madame Tussaud’s does. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#21Museum of Broadway
Posted: 11/12/22 at 10:45am

I agree that the promos make it look like an "Instagram museum," and that's not encouraging.

But hopefully it's more of a hybrid. One of the clips in the news segment says that there's a lot to read as well. Plus, it seems appropriate that a theater museum would have a lot of visual + interactive components.

Regardless, I'm with you on the bottom line: no way this is worth $50 to me, and I won't be attending any time soon unless it shows up on the papering sites, and even then it won't be a priority for me time-wise.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#22Museum of Broadway
Posted: 11/12/22 at 12:38pm

I mean, I paid $46 for the 9/11 museum with a tour guide. But, that was three hours with the guide so unless they can show me more than that sad, underwhelming video, count me out. 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#23Museum of Broadway
Posted: 11/12/22 at 12:42pm

seaweedjstubbs said: "It looks less like a true museum and more like a place to just take Instagram photos. Kinda like the Museum of Ice Cream, also in NYC. Too bad. I was really looking forward to a real Broadway museum. This ain’t it, kid."

Yes,it is more like those pop-up attractions for clueless tourists.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#24Museum of Broadway
Posted: 11/12/22 at 1:49pm

https://www.themuseumofbroadway.com/

https://twitter.com/museumbroadway

https://www.instagram.com/museumofbroadway/

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 11/12/22 at 01:49 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#25Museum of Broadway
Posted: 11/12/22 at 2:11pm

Neither of the co-founders have any experience running a museum. But they do have experience in brand activations and experiential marketing, unsurprisingly. In fact, it doesn’t look any anybody involved has any experience even working in a museum. 

The lack of involvement from big theatre names and people with legit museum experience is kind of a major red flag to me here. The whole thing looks very focused on Instagrammability, not preservation or education. The twee neon signs? C’mon. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 11/12/22 at 02:11 PM